TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 01:38 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super duper day!!

A 'dream' convinced a South African business man to give a V10 powered Audi R8 to two 'car guards' who work at the Cape Town's Table Mountain Cableway's lower station. The 'deal' was for the two guards to 'pay it forward'. [So to speak]

Click on THIS to read the story.

How would YOU react if some stranger gave you a car?!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 02:15 AM

Wow, V10!
How are they going to pay for the gas?
As for the question I would probably be weird out but accept it

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 02:42 AM

Oprah has done stuff like that to her audiences. Some of them can't afford it. If I was given an Audi R8, I'd sell it and use that money on a cheap car, insurance, gas, etc.

If a random stranger gave me a car, specifically something pretty bad-ass like an Audi R8...I'd be kind of suspicious. I probably wouldn't even accept it. If he did his best to convince me to take the vehicle, then I'd probably drive it for a few days, record some youtube videos, and then sell it to someone who can afford it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 02:53 AM

I've heard of paying it forward, and I think it's pretty awesome. Although I doubt I'd accept that car.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 03:13 AM

Honestly, I'd sell it, take the cash, buy a Nissan 350z, black, luxury package, supe it up a bit, and then donate the rest.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 09:52 AM

What does pay it forward mean?

and I'd be suspicious, get it checked out, but I'd take it for sure..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 10:08 AM

I wouldent take it, could be suspicouse
  Send a message via MSN to ThrashAttack  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
What does pay it forward mean?

and I'd be suspicious, get it checked out, but I'd take it for sure..
Hi Rachel!!

I hope you're having a groovy day.

'Pay it forward' has become sort of 'catch phrase' meaning - "When someone does something nice to you [Or for you] you should repay that kindness by doing something nice to [Or for] someone else. And then that 'someone else' should repay your kindness by doing something nice to [Or for] someone ELSE - and so one. It's intent it to give momentum to kindness. It's something we should ALL be doing. [Every day of our lives!]

Whenever I'm considerate and thoughtful of someone here at TH - I like to think that they are 'paying' that act of kindness 'forward' by being considerate and thoughtful to someone else.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
.Sarah. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 11:26 AM

I think if the situation was explained to me in a lot of detail and I felt reassured that there was no catches. I would take it for sure and spread the word of hope in my own way.

"I don't go looking for trouble. Trouble usually finds me. - Harry Potter

"It is important to fight, and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated."
- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumblordore

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 06:13 PM

I think I'd first spend a bit of money on getting the car checked out by a mechanic to ensure the car actually works and doesn't have something wrong with it. After that, then sure, I'd take it. Depending on the cost for insurance and such, I'd sell the car and buy a new car, pay off some bills and save the rest up for something else.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
jellyfish Offline
No Rest For The Wicked
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 16th 2010, 06:39 PM

I think I would refuse. As fantastic a gesture as an R8 would be, I would simply not be able to afford the insurance at all, that is if anyone would accept to insure a young driver with an Audi R8. Plus the actual running of the car, fuel, tax etc.
I couldnt accept and then sell it on, because in my opinion that would be... basically a kick in the teeth for the peson who was kind enough in the first place to offer it.

She flies with her
own wings

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 30th 2010, 08:14 PM

The movie Pay it Forward is absolutely amazing, in case anyone here hasn't seen it.

I'd accept the car, not going to lie.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#13 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 30th 2010, 08:19 PM

of course i'd take it.. then i'd sell it on.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 30th 2010, 08:24 PM

Out of everyone who'd accept it, I'm curious to hear how many people would actually put some effort to "paying it forward." No one's actually mentioned that so far.

I'd do what several other people here have said; take it and sell it. I have little use and less interest in owning a car like that. But I would definitely look for ways to pay it forward.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 12:18 AM

How can they, and I quote, "help the needy" with a 2 seater 500hp supercar? Apparently that businessman has much more money than sense. R1.95 million could be used in quite a few ways that would be of more help than them delivering food to the homeless in the car.

If someone gave me a car I'd check it wasn't stolen first! Surprised nobody has said that, haha. I'd try and return it to Audi for a different car and some cash. The rest of the money...pfft, I don't know. If you were in a position where you were buying your first house and needed a mortgage, you wouldn't use all the money for yourself? You'd give it away?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#16 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassionateSoul View Post
How can they, and I quote, "help the needy" with a 2 seater 500hp supercar? Apparently that businessman has much more money than sense. R1.95 million could be used in quite a few ways that would be of more help than them delivering food to the homeless in the car.
Hi CompassionateSoul!!

I hope you're having a dandy day.

We have be very careful when it comes to applying 'logic' to something like 'kindness'. Logic is used over and over again as a 'excuse' NOT to do anything. "I refuse to give $5 to that homeless man because he might buy alcohol with it!" Well great!! But the bottom line of that 'logic' is that the $5 stays in your pocket and no one was helped. And the puzzling thing is that those who subscribe to that 'logic' think they did a GOOD thing. How convenient is that?! Not only are they a 'saint' - but they STILL have their $5!! lol The fact is - that Audi has become a 'magnet' [So to speak] that has encouraged countless numbers of people to get involved and HELP OTHER PEOPLE. How far reaching that help will be is anyone's guess. It is quite possible that what that business man did - will end up being worth far more than what that Audi cost. Whenever you push over a domino - for good or for bad reasons - you never know how things will turn out.

And Fletcher is right - I don't think some of you who responded understand the concept of what it means to 'pay it forward'.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Logic is used over and over again as a 'excuse' NOT to do anything. "I refuse to give $5 to that homeless man because he might buy alcohol with it!" Well great!! But the bottom line of that 'logic' is that the $5 stays in your pocket and no one was helped.
I think you misunderstood my thinking. Delivering food in the car isn't going to make as much difference as using the car to gain donations, selling it, and buying a pickup truck, filling it with food and delivering that food to the homeless. I was more referring to how unpractical a supercar is. Yes, it's an act of generosity, but it's there to look pretty, not much can be done with it other than use it for pleasure. Yes, the two men who received it have come up with a way of using it to help others, but, they could have done better.
If they were to pay forward the generosity, it would be to give a large donation of food to the local food bank, which would benefit the homeless, or with the money tied up in the car, they could use it to local projects that provide the homeless with food, etc. One act of generosity, payed forward by another.

I just don't think it's the best way they could have used the car.

Also, I understand what paying it forward is, thank you.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompassionateSoul View Post
I think you misunderstood my thinking. Delivering food in the car isn't going to make as much difference as using the car to gain donations, selling it, and buying a pickup truck, filling it with food and delivering that food to the homeless. I was more referring to how unpractical a supercar is. Yes, it's an act of generosity, but it's there to look pretty, not much can be done with it other than use it for pleasure. Yes, the two men who received it have come up with a way of using it to help others, but, they could have done better.
If they were to pay forward the generosity, it would be to give a large donation of food to the local food bank, which would benefit the homeless, or with the money tied up in the car, they could use it to local projects that provide the homeless with food, etc. One act of generosity, payed forward by another.

I just don't think it's the best way they could have used the car.

Also, I understand what paying it forward is, thank you.
How do you define "best way"? The way that would have helped the most people? Let's be honest; not a single one of us does as much as we could to help other people. Whatever you do, you could always do more. I happen to have a couple thousand dollars wrapped up in a flute; and the two thousand dollars would certainly do more good as food for hungry people than as a flute for me. These two guys could sell the car to help the homeless...but then they wouldn't have a supercar. To them, that's probably something they really enjoy. Unless we're selling the shirts off our backs to help others, we're really not in a position to condemn that. Just taking the car and running; that would have been wrong. But they're trying to help other people in turn. "Pay it forward" doesn't mean "keep nothing for yourself".

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
How do you define "best way"? The way that would have helped the most people?
Yes, exactly that.

Quote:
Let's be honest; not a single one of us does as much as we could to help other people. Whatever you do, you could always do more.
You have a good point, but, with all due respect, you can't speak for everyone. I don't think anyone else really comes into it considering the situation the two guards are in, they have been given quite the opportunity to help other people, not many have that, so I don't see how others should be part of the argument.

Quote:
Unless we're selling the shirts off our backs to help others, we're really not in a position to condemn that.
"Pay it forward" doesn't mean "keep nothing for yourself".
I agree, hence I'm not condemning anything. I'm not saying they shouldn't keep anything for themselves, I was criticizing the practicality of a supercar for distributing food, in that you can't really fit much in it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 02:40 AM

Hi CompassionateSoul!!

First off - that very last sentence [In my previous message] regarding how some of those who replied to this message thread do not seem to fully understanding what it means to 'pay it forward' was NOT specifically directed at you. I have no doubt you understand what it means.

Secondly - everything you said is perfectly logical. But THAT is the problem. We do not live an logical world. IF 'mankind' decided to end world hunger - every single human being on the planet would have a full belly within WEEKS. [If not within ONE week] Unfortunately - much of the world is selfish and self-serving. Sure - selling the Audi and buying a pickup truck and filling it with food would indeed be a far more productive way of actually helping feed the homeless, etc. But it's rare that something THAT logical will happen. This is why the world is often a very frustrating place to live. I think most people are afraid to help - are afraid of 'getting involved'. And many of those same people - to ease their own conscience - 'comfort' themselves by buying into the lie that tells them that those who are without brought that on themselves. Which means - it couldn't happen to THEM!! [At least that's how they 'see' it] It's the same sort of fear that keeps people from helping victims - such as those who are being bullied. Few people have the courage it takes to get THAT close to a 'target'. [Of abuse OR of 'misfortune'] In order to motivate people to do the 'right thing' - you very often have to throw logic out the window and appeal to 'them' in a more round-a-bout way. That Audi is a good example of a round-a-bout way. It's far easier [For some people] to hand $10 to a guy in an Audi R8 than it is to risk having to face the reality of the problem by handing $10 directly to a person who really needs it.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Hi CompassionateSoul!!
I think most people are afraid to help - are afraid of 'getting involved'. And many of those same people - to ease their own conscience - 'comfort' themselves by buying into the lie that tells them that those who are without brought that on themselves. Which means - it couldn't happen to THEM!! [At least that's how they 'see' it] It's the same sort of fear that keeps people from helping victims - such as those who are being bullied. Few people have the courage it takes to get THAT close to a 'target'. [Of abuse OR of 'misfortune']
I couldn't agree more. Which is why, if I was in their position, I'd go ahead and do the 'right thing', if others are too self-concerned to help, or they, as you said, (foolishly) think those who are without brought it upon themselves.
Although, I must admit I can think like that at times, for example there was a shooting in the city last night, which concerned me, but when drugs were involved and it sounded like a drug pick-up, I wasn't as concerned. I doubt those are people who are without, more likely individuals stuck in the vicious circle of addiction.
It depends on what people have experienced, how aware they are of everyone around them. Most of the time however, they care more about themselves than anyone else. Aid to Haiti restored some of my faith in the compassion a lot of us have!

(#22 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 03:08 AM

I just have to point out that it makes me really sad that people are saying that they would be suspicious, even of an honest act of kindness. Of course there is a lot of evil that goes on in this world... but to truly improve this world we need to stop being so cynical as well. We need to learn to accept kindness, and even though we may have doubts in the back of our minds, we need to realize and embrace the fact that despite the evil in the world, there are still people who would hand out random cars and tell us to pay it forward. I guess what I mean is that although we do need to be safe, we also need to stop insisting on being too careful. The world needs to gain many things, and one of those things is trust.

If I were given an Audi like these guys were, I would give away my laptop to someone who could not afford for the kind of technology that most of us have. I don't have a lot to give, but I would be making a sacrifice in giving away my laptop, and I think that to someone who would not be able to afford one it would really be a great gift (it was a great gift for me, after all!).

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - January 31st 2010, 05:56 AM

I think it's truly sad that our society is so selfish that we've made it that kindness isn't really tolerated. And that's certainly not an attack on any of you, it's just how it is. By accepting the gift you're taking a huge risk, as our society is full of people who just want to hurt others.

It's just as I wouldn't take a ride from a stranger, or someone I didn't know well. You don't know their intentions, and in where we live, people are tend to do things like this for their own benefit, which usually ends up badly for the receiver.

I hope someday there will come a point where I could accept the car and pass it forward to someone in more need than me, so they can do with it what they wish.

Maria.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rach

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - February 2nd 2010, 06:56 PM

I think a huge issue might be that not enough people know what 'pay it forward' means... I sure didn't until I read craig's post.
Before reading that I'm willing to admit I would have been very suspicious, I think it's unfortunate but natural in this age to jump to the worst conclusion.... Unfortunately I think It's easier to find 'bad people' than good!

If I was handed anything and told to 'pay it forward' (before reading this) I would have automatically assumed the worst, e.g sexual act (which was my first thought when i started reading) Its terrible but true.

I think if the word got around a bit more, it might have a greater impact, and more people would be able to bring a smile to others.

Going back a bit, If I was given the key's (honestly, knowing what I do now) I would ride around a bit and have a hell of a lot of fun, get my kicks out of it, Fill her up and pass her on... A car like that is not a necessity for anyone, but if it makes you smile, wheres the harm in that!!! pass it on and get the world smiling!!!

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#25 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - February 2nd 2010, 07:05 PM

WOW!! That car is like the sex.

If someone offered me that kind of car, I'd slap myself, ask him to slap me to make sure i wasn't dreaming. All in all i don't think i'd take it, I think into things to much and would probably think he'd killed someone in it and gave me it so he wouldn't get caught.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Two guys are GIVEN an Audi R8 and told to 'pay it forward' - February 3rd 2010, 02:50 AM

V10? Wow... I never knew there was such a thing. We're having trouble keeping gas in our V6. I don't even want to think about a V10.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

Closed Thread