TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Arrow Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 18th 2010, 07:25 AM

A TRAVEL THROUGH HISTORY

I was searching through the internet and found two radical (today) statements made by one of the people who knows what it means to be a true American.
Quote:
"I hold it, that a little rebellion, now and then, is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical. Unsuccessful rebellions, indeed, generally establish the encroachments on the rights of the people, which have produced them. An observation of this truth should render honest republican governors so mild in their punishment of rebellions, as not to discourage them too much. It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government."

"God forbid that we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is a lethargy, a forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had thirteen States independent for 11 years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century and a half, for each State. What country before, ever existed a century and a half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts and to pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
If you don't like something, don't go quietly - raise your voice, tar and feather officials, throw snowballs... this is how we began, it's the motto, creed, blood of America. WE THE PEOPLE. It could be said, in a sense, that our founding fathers would be considered punks today - they did what they wanted, when they wanted, and said what they wanted. If they didn't like something, government be damned, they rebelled! If you don't like the taxes, throw the tea off the bloody boat!

Basically take a chapter from the history books, if you don't like something. Don't go unheard, don't go silenced. Raise your voice, fight whatever system it is - because THAT is true freedom and being an American like our founding fathers. Only with that can we sustain our basic rights. Let our generation be the ones to set the world right - let's fix the economy, let's fix health care, let's give our sons and daughters a better world. Choosing the Presidents we believe in and if we don't believe in a current proposal in the government - WE THE PEOPLE scream out, tar and feather, about it so that our voices ARE heard like our founders would have wanted. Not a call for complete anarchism and chaos, just fight for the right.

Essentially people should be free to do or say whatever they want, granted they're not physically harming anyone in the process and living their life to the fullest in the way that they see fit. I state physically harming because censorship should be up to the people and not completely controlled by a state of head saying what people can or can't say or do; saying fuck for example on live television... it's not causing irreparable damage to somebody else, just not all will agree with it. We should come and accept people's differences and try to understand them. Personally believe that acceptance of others is one of the keys components to a better world.

Quote:
"The spirit of the times may alter, will alter. Our rulers will become corrupt, our people careless. A single zealot may become persecutor, and better men be his victims. It can never be too often repeated that the time for fixing every essential right, on a legal basis, is while our rulers are honest, ourselves united. From the conclusion of this war we shall be going down hill. It will not then be necessary to resort every moment to the people for support. They will be forgotten, therefore, and their rights disregarded. They will forget themselves in the sole faculty of making money, and will never think of uniting to effect a due respect for their rights. The shackles, therefore, which shall not be knocked off at the conclusion of this war, will be heavier and heavier, till our rights shall revive or expire in a convulsion."
- The punk alien

Last edited by ThePunkAlien; January 18th 2010 at 07:40 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 19th 2010, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
If you don't like something, don't go quietly - raise your voice, tar and feather officials, throw snowballs... this is how we began, it's the motto, creed, blood of America. WE THE PEOPLE.
I agree with this, I really do. I think it applies to everyone though, not just Americans, as consumers and voters we have more control than we realise but we are often too lazy or too ignorant to know what we can do. If we 'pester' our governments enough (petitions, letters, e-mails, etc) we can change the way our government's choose policies and legislation. It's not limited to anything either, if enough of us stand up and raise our voices, we will be heard. It was seen recently at Copenhagen when environment/climate change activists were allowed into the summit building until 1 day before world leaders arrived. It was seen in England when over 1 million people signed a petition on the #10 Downing Street website, signing against a road tax on all major highways - which didn't happen as originally planned as a result of the petition. 15.5 million global citizens have signed a petition for climate action, 4.5 million more since the middle of December. They will listen to us, if enough of us stand up and be counted. We shouldn't underestimate our collective power, we had the power to put these people in charge of our countries, it's about time we did more than that every few years, we can do a lot more EACH DAY.

Quote:
...if you don't like something. Don't go unheard, don't go silenced. Raise your voice, fight whatever system it is - because THAT is true freedom and being an American like our founding fathers.
Nothing could be more true, but, again, for anyone, all nationalities, particularly in the 'western world'. We have the freedom others don't, we can express our feelings in a protest without being slain by rebels or government militia, we have this freedom and we don't use it.

Quote:
Choosing the Presidents we believe in and if we don't believe in a current proposal in the government - WE THE PEOPLE scream out, tar and feather, about it so that our voices ARE heard like our founders would have wanted.
This, is a little more complicated. So many people are lead astray by lobbyists and the media (newspaper, internet blogs, internet news sites, magazines, TV), they are too confused to know what they really think themselves so they follow what was said by someone in the media with a bias. If they educated themselves on some science, political beliefs and targets of a party running for election - what these people are SAYING, rather than SOMEONE ELSE'S INTERPRETATION of what they are saying, then, we will see true belief not lead astray by some biased sources or lobbyists with immoral vested interests.

Interesting topic, good thread.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#3 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 20th 2010, 05:16 AM

jefferson was a coward who used to revolution to better himself he never fought for his country instead he ran and hid leaving the fighting up to real men, his loyalty was to himself not this nation

however i do admot his writings r some of the most powerful i know ii just wish a better man had written them

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Hi_ImJordan Offline
Average Joe

Re: Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 21st 2010, 02:50 AM

I wonder if he wrote that while raping his slaves

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 22nd 2010, 07:07 PM

I have to say that Jefferson was a genius. I was just rereading a book by Carl Sagan where he figures out that there should technically be a thousand or so Jeffersons in the States, and wonders wtf they all are
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Inspiring words, Thomas Jefferson - January 24th 2010, 05:16 PM

I enjoy Jefferson's message.

Unfortunately, I would have to point out that it was likely targetted towards an informed public. Not any random person off the street who has no idea what is going on in regards to foreign affairs, and cries "BRING OUR TROOPZ HOMEEE!"
His first statement should have been "understand what you are dealing with"
Because there is indeed a time to sit back and let others do what is right, regardless of your personal, misinformed opinion.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

Closed Thread