TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:18 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super fine day.

So.....

Are YOUR 'pants on the ground'?! lol

Apparently - an American Idol 'try-out' sang a song that has made it possible for him to fully experience his 15 minutes of fame.

Click on the links below to learn more.

Click on THIS to go to Yahoo.

Click on THIS to go to CNN.

What do YOU think about all of this? Personally - how a person dresses is the LAST thing I care about. But I have to admit - sometimes I'll see a guy with his pants half way [Or more] down his butt and wonder to myself, "How are those pants even staying ON?!" lol

Here's a picture of two 'sims' boys - just in case you don't know what all of this is about!! [It's all I could come with after doing a very quick Google image search]

ALL OF THIS SAID....

Maybe it would be fun to have something NEW in the world of fashion, music, design, architecture and so on. We seem to be stuck in a rut. Nothing has really been all that 'new' in a LONG TIME. [At least that's how I see it]

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:32 AM

AH I love General Larry Plat! I personally don't like when the pants are barely on, you don't look "gansta" and you can't walk. They might as well not be wearing pants in the first place. But mostly, I just like the song. And yes, it is so incredibly huge in America right now.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 12:10 PM

Hahaha. Yeah I saw that guy on the auditions. I thought it was hilarious.
As for guys with pants that hang really low, I don't care for it much and I certainly don't find it attractive at all. But I guess each to their own.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 01:09 PM

I've always heard that pants like that started out in prisons as a signal that you were available for anal sex. Just think that it's interesting that so many people wear the style and have no idea what message they are sending

~Cody

Normal User

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 03:11 PM

I think wearing your pants like that is stupid, you may as well have not bothered putting them on if you're only going to wear them half way up. It doesn't make you cool to show off your underwear nor do it makes you look cool to walk like an idiot because you've almost got your trousers round your ankles.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 03:21 PM

I really don't understand that fashion even a little. I mean, most crazy fashions at least have an element of art or style to offset their total impracticality, but I find that look just all bad all the time. I guess I'm not cut out to be gangsta.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 03:40 PM

I hate when people wear their pants under their butt, it makes me want togo up to them and pull them up

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNumber42 View Post
I've always heard that pants like that started out in prisons as a signal that you were available for anal sex. Just think that it's interesting that so many people wear the style and have no idea what message they are sending
I thought it originated as a sign that you were in a gang, and I think gangs started in prisons too, but don't quote me on that.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 04:33 PM

oh god, i hate it when guys wear trousers like this! [some girls do too.. ]
but yeah it looks ridiculous!.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:24 PM

i dont like it when people wear there pants like that either.
But they do need to wave the age limit on american idol. i totally would of voted for that guy. he is my new hero.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I hate when people wear their pants under their butt, it makes me want togo up to them and pull them up
Same hehehe

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:41 PM

I live in the city and everytime I go out, there is a guy with his pants "on the ground", I find it annoying and no one wants to look at their butts. Not a pretty sight. I agree, I just want to go up behind them, give a belt, and pull their pants up. Larry Plat is making a statement, which I think is good for him to do.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 10:51 PM

I dont see how people do it if I ever did that Id be tripping all over myself lol.

By the way I think that pants on the ground song is halirous me and my friends were singing it for days.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 27th 2010, 11:02 PM

Hey, everytime this one white kid from the suburbs at my old school (which was about 50% of kids from the city) sagged his pants too low, we just pantsed him. Which was hilarious, because when I say white, I mean really really white.
That's how I deal with it when people's pants are too low. Although, we usually didn't do that to the kids from the city because although my school was in teh suburbs and definatly my favorite school I've ever been to, (and possibly the world) you just... don't mess with people from the city who aren't your friends.

(this is NOT to say that everyone who's ever lived in the city is ghetto and gonna shoot your face off. I don't mean to say that, since I had a lot of friends from there who weren't all too 'ghetto' and who were. It's just a thing you don't want to risk at a school where there were fights on a regular basis where police were called due to knives and coke and shit at school >.>)

Personally... I don't really care. lol The only time I ever get annoyed is when some kid from a nice family tries to act like they've had the worst life ever growing up when I know they're just faking it. And that's just because I don't like it when people aren't themselves... anyways, I've been told to pull up my pants once or twice but in all honesty, you could pull as hard as you could on my pants and they wouldn't go down any further, thats how tight my belt is. I just don't like them all the way up cause it feels really wierd... It's not like you can see my underwear or anything anyway

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 12:10 AM

I only see people normally associated with gangs wear that style.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 03:15 AM

I see this alot, and I hate customers whose pants are down below their thighs. I don't want to look at all that smish. Also, I love General Plat, that song is the shishnit. .

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 03:40 AM

I think that when guys have their pants just below the waistband of their boxers, that's fine, and I actually think that looks more attractive than if you can't see their boxers at all. It's also really comfortable to wear jeans there. I've tried. Any father than the waistband, it just looks stupid.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 03:51 AM

There are very few to no people at university campus who I've seen who wear their parents on the ground. However, there are a few high-schools near-by along with Square 1 about 20-30 minutes bus ride, and there I've seen plenty of people wearing their pants on the ground. I don't get it really. I mean, there's a difference between baggy pants and having pants so baggy you cant walk properly, have to keep grabbing your pants to hold them up and yet, somehow this is "cool"?

Sometimes the fashion trends look a bit unusual but not only is this unusual, it's impractical because you cant walk, cant get up from sitting down, etc... without having at least 1 hand devoted to holding your pants up.

Why on Earth people who do this wear a belt is beyond me. If they're that low, the belt isn't doing anything, so might as well just let gravity have fun .

The thing that really makes it funnier is generally those who have their pants on the ground also tend to wear incredibly big shoes, not boots or anything of that sort but boots with an enormous tongue that seem to not have their laces tied up and are so loose. So not only do you have to worry about your pants hitting your ankles, you also have to worry about walking in that really goofy way to ensure you pants don't fall even if you're holding them up and you have to worry about not having your shoes fly off.

Must be pretty hard to get clothes that actually fit and aren't 10 sizes too big.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 04:02 AM

Haha, I loved this song! It drives me crazy to see guys with their pants half way down, and their underwear showing. I'm the last person to care about styles, but this just drives me crazy. A lot of guys at my school do this, even though it is against the rules. It's just so unattractive and annoying to me!
Basically, what I'm trying to say is: You look like a fool with your pants on the ground.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 04:10 AM

I have to agree, I hate when guys wear their pants like that! I mean, what kind of fashion trend is that? I am NOT attracted to it whatsoever. I don't want to be with a guy who wears his pants like that, no exceptions. And if I did, I would force him to pull them up. Or tell him to invest in a good belt to keep those pants up where they should be
That song, I have to say, is pretty funny. And true. It tells it like it is! You DO look like a fool with your pants on the ground. :P

Last edited by Spellbound; January 28th 2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Font color change!
  Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - January 28th 2010, 07:16 PM

For those wondering why they wear a belt and have their pants low, some of the actually have a reason. Now, know I'm saying SOME of them have a reasonable reason.
I'm sure most of you know this trend had some of it's beginnings in the ghetto life (apparently it started in prisons and such in the very beginning) while NOT ALL PEOPLE in the city are involved in gangs and certaintly not all of them have a hard life, a lot do. (NOT. ALL. I can't stress that enough since I don't want to contribute to a stereotype that isn't always true)

The thing is, the belt is sometimes there for a reason. Yes, they want to wear their pants low because it's the style and whatnot. However, this style really doesn't go well for whenever you might need to run to or from something. So, that's where the belt comes in.

This is not true for everyone who wears their pants low, especially since the trend has spread to almost every "label" and stereotype. But, from where it started, the belt was there for a legitimate reason me thinks.
(I've had a friend who does this tell me so.)
If you think about it, the other trends from the ghetto life started out in a similar way. (this is for the ghetto-ier trends, not the others who now wear their pants low like 'skaters' or 'emo kids' or whatever other label you want to come up with) As someone previously mentioned they also wear huge shoes and huge shirts and all that stuff. If this trend did start in the ghetto, then I can see how. Often times (NOT. ALWAYS.) they simply might not have enough money to afford new clothes, so they wear hand me downs from their dad or older brother, even if it doesn't always fit right. That's my philosphy on it anyway, which I shared to a good friend of mine from the 'ghetto' who agrees. Now, thats just where I think it started. Certaintly a lot other people do have the money to buy clothes that fit better, they simply chose not to because it became trendy to look like you have the tough life in order to look tough.

Personally, I don't relly give a damn whether someone wants to wear their pants low. Their not my pants, if they're the kind of person who succumbs to fashion and trends, then whatever. I don't care. lol

The only time I get annoyed is when a lot of times those people walk rather slow right in front of me and won't get out of the way. I joined a group on facebook that said "I know you're ghetto and all, but can you please walk a little faster?"

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Last edited by TheBabyEater; January 28th 2010 at 07:21 PM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 5th 2010, 08:00 PM

I read in a book once that the whole 'wearing your pants really low' trend originated in mexican prisons. when a new prisoner was admitted, they were given their uniform regardless if it fit right or not. and you're gangsta or whatever if you've done time so i guess wearing your clothes baggy just stemmed off of that.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
St.Vincent Offline
Edna
I've been here a while

Name: Edna

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 5th 2010, 08:27 PM

I don't care if your pants are on the ground, I don't really care what it originated from (Pants on the Ground: Studies in "Ghetto" Fashion Trends?) because it's so far removed from it that it's just like you're trying to be something that you're not, as well as something that has been for too many decades before you. If I were you, I'd pull it up. Otherwise, who cares. It's just pants (on the ground or not).

I am waylaid by Beauty. Who will walk
Between me and the crying of the frogs?

(My PM box is always open.. if I can't help you, I'll find someone who can)

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 5th 2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I thought it originated as a sign that you were in a gang, and I think gangs started in prisons too, but don't quote me on that.
Yeah it started in prison, like gangs and whatnot. And since people in prison are cool, it spread.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 5th 2010, 09:07 PM

I didn't watch the American Idol auditions but I see people like this all the time. It's the people who skateboard that do it the most, I guess they want to fit in with the skaterboy stereotype since that's where it all started.

I'm even seeing girls do it now

(#26 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 5th 2010, 09:13 PM

I don't know if it's just me, but around here, the 'gangsta' guys, or at least, the ones I imagine fitting the stereotype I've read about sound kinda like what we call 'Neds' but most of them wear tracksuits and designer clothes/trainers. Yeah they can be baggy but they don't seem to be that low, not that I pay much attention to it so I might be wrong.
It seems to be more emo/scene people that wear their trousers low around here, unless that's just me...

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
xxxAJxxx Offline
TEIAM - problem solved.
Average Joe

Name: Aj

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 6th 2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsumi View Post
I don't know if it's just me, but around here, the 'gangsta' guys, or at least, the ones I imagine fitting the stereotype I've read about sound kinda like what we call 'Neds' but most of them wear tracksuits and designer clothes/trainers. Yeah they can be baggy but they don't seem to be that low, not that I pay much attention to it so I might be wrong.
It seems to be more emo/scene people that wear their trousers low around here, unless that's just me...
im scene. id never wear my tight jeans like that. not even if you paid mehh

"Now at the end of everyday I lie awake at night and wait
To feel the wires of my brain get cut and quietly rearranged, and
Hear my beaten heart exclaim, 'Still, I refuse to let her go.'"

So we escape to our mistakes for they wait patiently for us.
Oh, how they always wait for me.

If my fear has kept me here only my fear can set me free."

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 7th 2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
I'm even seeing girls do it now
My jeans sag, but because their too big, not for a trend. i think that's a lot of people, from my area at least, problem. Sometimes if you get hand-me-downs or thrift store clothes, their a little too big.

Oh, and it's illegal to 'sag', which is what we call it when your pants are below your waist, in my state.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 9th 2010, 12:50 AM

Has anyone seen these on failblog?
http://failblog.org/2009/11/04/fashion-fail-4/
http://failblog.org/2009/10/20/fashion-fail-3/

fail, definitely.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#30 (permalink)) Old
delete Offline
Average Joe

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 9th 2010, 04:28 AM

I love General Larry Platt and love his "Pants on the Ground" song, and quote it a lot lol. I actually like it when guys have their pants low, but im weird lol. its funny to see all the multitude of colors boxers come in (KIDDING sort of hehe) well anyways, i think its kind of hot when guys do that, and a little bad boy/bad ass, a little gangsta. but it does look stupid when a guy has to hold his pants up to run across the street lol.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Name: Nameless

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 9th 2010, 04:26 PM

Wearing pants like that is actually a pedestrian collision hazard, because the person has to spend time picking their bum up while waddling across the street.
It's even more so dangerous than people on cellphones and mp3 players, considering the person is never walking at normal pace due to their falling pants.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Are YOUR 'Pants on the Ground?' - February 9th 2010, 05:58 PM

Honestly, when I'm out and see guys dressed like that, I figure that they're immature. My husband does too. He usually says something along the lines of, "Kids." lol

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

Closed Thread