TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 3rd 2010, 08:19 PM

http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time....#ixzz0eUEcT40s

"
I just went to a panel discussion about Internet security and let me tell you, it was scar-y. Between individual fraud, organized crime, corporate espionage and government spying, it's an incredibly dangerous world out there, which, according to one panelist, is growing exponentially worse.

These are incredibly complex problems that even the smartest of the smart admit they don't have a great handle on, although Craig Mundie, Microsoft's chief research and technology officer, offered up a surprisingly simple solution that might start us down a path to dealing with them: driver's licenses for the Internet."

Thoughts?

Here's what I think. I M P O S S I B L Y B A D I D E A. I'll explain as the thread advances.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 3rd 2010, 08:23 PM

what?? no...! that's a stupid idea.

you need a license to drive because if you're not at a competent level you could KILL someone.. the internet however, well.. there is no need for people to have a license for internet use.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 3rd 2010, 08:37 PM

I actually don't see anything wrong with this idea. I'll admit that some of it doesn't make any sense to me, and I'm not completely sure as to how it would work. But I think it definitely makes sense.

The Internet is like a private diary for us. But it's still not as anonymous as we think it is. There are thousands of ways people can find out what websites you visit, and what you spend your time doing online. So would it really make much of a difference if we were to use this idea?

At the same time, there are major flaws with this idea. Wouldn't it be easy for someone to get hold of your license number? If they did, they could get you into a lot of trouble with what they would be doing online using your number.

I personally think that there are much better solutions out there, and that we should keep looking for them. But as a temporary thing, until we find something better, I don't think this is all that bad of an idea.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 3rd 2010, 09:37 PM

Drivers license to access the internet!! Don't we pay enough to actully access the internet? without having to buy a drivers license.

Thats ridic, i'm sorry it is, i have my licence, but i wouldn't expect using it for the internet, how to the propose to start this off? scan our licence's there will be a flaw some where along the line. People could just write numbers on paper and scan it and so on.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 02:02 AM

Completely impossible idea.

That being said, sometimes I wouldn't mind it. After reading some of the stupid things people post all over the internet, it doesn't always seem like that bad of an idea .

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 02:59 AM

Sounds like a conspiracy i've heard from Alex Jones

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 03:47 AM

I think it's a horrible idea. With all the dangers out in the Internet as it is, it seems that getting a Internet license number wouldn't be all that hard. Also, what about families where there are multiple users? Does each need a license or does only the one who owns the computer and/or Internet? I say it's an absolutely horrible idea.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 06:09 AM

To be perfectly honest, I haven't the foggiest clue when it comes to stuff like this. There aren't any real numbers in that article, so it's hard to come up with any kind of opinion. It'd depend on the scale and severity of cyber crime, and what other options might look like.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.

Last edited by Xujhan; February 4th 2010 at 06:23 AM.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dorkzilla! Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jess!

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 02:17 PM

One, this is a horrible idea. Every person is entitled to privacy, and by doing this that is clearly violating that right.

Two, it will never happen because of what I stated in one. No one will ever, ever, ever let their privacy be taken away from them. And no one can really regulate the internet to that magnitude. Besides, the internet is NOTHING like driving a car- what a stupid idea.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 03:45 PM

I have no idea how that'd even work tbh? Explain the procedure behind it? Like will you have to take a test to prove you're not a fraudster or that you know how the internet works?

I don't think it'd work very well at all.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorkzilla! View Post
One, this is a horrible idea. Every person is entitled to privacy, and by doing this that is clearly violating that right.
Are you, though? You aren't entitled to privacy when you make a phone call, or when you drive, or when you use a credit card, or when you travel. All those things can be traced with relative ease. So why is it that the internet is diferent?

Mostly just playing devil's advocate here, I still don't have a proper opinion myself.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 07:33 PM

Dumb idea. The End.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 07:44 PM

Because this would stop all the problems? this is silly =/
Besides, I don't see how this would actually solve the problem in the first place? O.o

(#14 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 4th 2010, 09:18 PM

I think its a brilliant idea... I think some of the stuff I have seen on the internet is completely sick, and although I didnt see it by choice, namely through friends, anything that would get them closer to catching criminals on the internet would be brilliant!

Also child abusers who use the net and the likes it'd make all that crime SO much more difficult, at the same time difficult to implement, but the sooner its done, the better...

I'm all for it!

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 5th 2010, 01:33 AM

I can see why the idea would be impossible -- it'd be ridiculously easy...and pretty much anything that's computer related, I have no doubts that hackers could figure out a way to bypass the system and leak the information to the public.

However, I kind of like the idea. The internet is not a safe place and I am aware that nothing you do on your computer is safe. It's a really scary idea, and if there's a foolproof way for the internet to require a driver's license (IF possible), then I'd be all for that. As long as I can go on the internet like normal, then I wouldn't consider it a big deal.

But honestly, I doubt THAT idea would work...but that'd be pretty cool if they came up with the ultimate idea on how to do that kind of stuff.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kryptonite Offline
Hmph
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 5th 2010, 01:36 AM

The thing is, most people answering this are teenagers using the Internet constantly. :P

I don't see the idea as an impossibility. Set up a "Internet Communications Department", like the DMV, which requires you to get this license for the Internet. Have it have a simple 10 question test, and then they give you the card. At that point, your ISP -requires- you to have a card for every member of the house hold with access to the Internet. Of course - it won't work perfectly, but it certainly makes it a bit harder, eh?

Howeverrrr, I don't agree that it -should- be implemented, nor would it really work. The Internet at this point is used for way, way too much. Obama would probably disagree.

Alex
[Click to PM me.]

"If I go crazy then will you still
call me Superman
If Iím alive and well, will you be
There holding my hand
Iíll keep you by my side
With my superhuman might...
Kryptonite"

<3

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Driver's licenses for the Internet - February 5th 2010, 04:18 AM

Haha! Ever heard of drivers without licenses? Whatever they might set up, someone out there will break it.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

Closed Thread