TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

View Poll Results: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by human rights?
Yes 3 60.00%
No 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Name: Nameless

Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by human rights? - February 11th 2010, 06:38 AM

Please ignore the governments part, was meant to put human rights.
Taken from Wikipedia :
Quote:
Freedom of speech is the freedom to speak without censorship and/or limitation. The synonymous term freedom of expression is sometimes used to indicate not only freedom of verbal speech but any act of seeking, receiving and imparting information or ideas, regardless of the medium used. In practice, the right to freedom of speech is not absolute in any country and the right is commonly subject to limitations, such as on "hate speech".
An interesting website about the debate of Freedom of Speech :http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/freedom-speech/

A non wikipedia definition :
Quote:
Freedom of Speech Freedom of Speech is guaranteed by the First Amendment. It does not provide the right to defame people and it must be balanced against the national interest. (For example yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.) But it does guarantee the right to speak on issues of public concern. This is a guarantee against government regulation and does not prevent a private employer from firing you for what you say. (See also, Freedom from Unreasonable Search and Seizure, 42 U.S.C. 1983, State Actor.)
Source :
http://www.madufflaw.com/glossary/glossary.html

I see too many hate websites and groups, things like anti-gay, anti-abortion, anti-feminists or anti-men groups arguing that censoring or closing their website/group would be 'against their right to freedom of speech'.

In many if not all of the definitions of freedom of speech it clearly dictates that hate speeches are not included in the 'right to opinion'.
These hate groups are putting their own feet in their mouths, either because they are ignorant or the Freedom of Speech human rights law is not defined well enough for people to understand its usage.

There are multiple websites I've come across which are disgusting and I will not list them here that keep using the same old freedom of speech argument.

So yes or no, and give your reason why.

If a mod sees this could you change the topic title from governments to human rights in the title and poll thanks

Last edited by AlkalineTears; February 11th 2010 at 09:43 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 11th 2010, 07:05 AM

Freedom of speech doesn't mean the freedom to say what the government wants you to say.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 11th 2010, 07:54 AM

The definition you gave (non-Wiki one) allows for speech for public concern. To me this allows things such as gay, abortion and so forth issues to be discussed and with that comes the antis. This doesn't equal allowing "hate speech" though, however, the topic of the hate speech is one relative to public concern although I don't support bashing various people or concepts.

The thing that's puzzling me is what you're argument or question is in reference to? You opt to change the definition but I'm not sure what it is you wish to change. Both definitions do not support "hate speech" to some degree but is that what you wish to change, to have it specified more clearly? I'm really confused as to what you want it to be changed to because you haven't provided any answer to that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 11th 2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
The definition you gave (non-Wiki one) allows for speech for public concern. To me this allows things such as gay, abortion and so forth issues to be discussed and with that comes the antis. This doesn't equal allowing "hate speech" though, however, the topic of the hate speech is one relative to public concern although I don't support bashing various people or concepts.

The thing that's puzzling me is what you're argument or question is in reference to? You opt to change the definition but I'm not sure what it is you wish to change. Both definitions do not support "hate speech" to some degree but is that what you wish to change, to have it specified more clearly? I'm really confused as to what you want it to be changed to because you haven't provided any answer to that.
Exactly.

The reason I made this debate was mainly because, I'm personally sick of seeing hate groups defend their opinions with freedom of speech when they know very well they are not entitled to make hate speeches. I wanted to see if other people agreed.

P.S. I wanted to edit the governments to human rights in the poll as well but doesn't seem I can edit the poll.

Last edited by AlkalineTears; February 11th 2010 at 09:33 AM.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 11th 2010, 07:31 PM

Freedom of speech, in my opinion, ends with inciting hatred. It should not be okay to burn an American flag and shout about terrorists should destroy more buildings.

Yet is it 'okay' (leaving my opinion out) to sympathise terrorists.

It should not be okay to burn the gay pride flag and shout about genocide against homos.

But it is 'okay' to have it be against your religion.

And that's the way it should be.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 12th 2010, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkalineTears View Post
Exactly.

The reason I made this debate was mainly because, I'm personally sick of seeing hate groups defend their opinions with freedom of speech when they know very well they are not entitled to make hate speeches. I wanted to see if other people agreed.
But... you didn't answer the question. I agree with you so far in that I don't support "hate speech" but that's only part of what your thread seems to be about. The other part has to do with you opting to change the definition by the government or human rights. This is where you haven't answered the question because I really do not know what you wish to change it to and what parts you want changed. So far you agree with the definitions so I'm really confused about changing it to something else.

As you may have noticed, I have not voted in the poll yet for this very reason of the confusion because I still don't understand what half the issue you're presenting is about and so I'll vote once it is clarified.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 12th 2010, 04:24 AM

No only, Obscenity, Defamation, Fighting Words, Commercial Speech, and such are banned. You can say as many hateful things as you wish.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 12th 2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
But... you didn't answer the question. I agree with you so far in that I don't support "hate speech" but that's only part of what your thread seems to be about. The other part has to do with you opting to change the definition by the government or human rights. This is where you haven't answered the question because I really do not know what you wish to change it to and what parts you want changed. So far you agree with the definitions so I'm really confused about changing it to something else.

As you may have noticed, I have not voted in the poll yet for this very reason of the confusion because I still don't understand what half the issue you're presenting is about and so I'll vote once it is clarified.
Re-defining and not so much changing the definition. Just making it more precise.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Do you think the term 'Freedom of Speech' should be redefined by governments? - February 12th 2010, 04:53 AM

Closed at OP's request.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread