TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 15th 2010, 05:24 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/02/...ex.html?hpt=T2

U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Monday that she fears Iran is moving to a military dictatorship and urged allies to back efforts to help change its course.
Clinton made the comment as she responded to a question about whether the United States was getting ready for military action in Iran during a session broadcast by Arabic-language network Al-Jazeera.
"No, we are planning to bring the world community together," Clinton said at the town hall meeting in Qatar. She warned that United States "will not stand by idly" while Tehran threatens neighbors and world.
Clinton reiterated her concern about Iran in a discussion with reporters later Monday.
"I think the civilian leadership is either preoccupied with its internal domestic political situation or ceding ground to the Revolutionary Guard, and that's a deeply concerning development," she said.

Should the United States do anything to change the Government of Iran?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 12:13 AM

It's all political, Iran aren't much of a threat at the moment. They can make threats, but their technologies are far behind every one elses. They're trying to become as 'powerful' as the US and Russia and making a lot of noise whilst doing it. Why? I think it comes down to politics, much like Russian military planes flying into British airspace a few years back. Iran is trying to push it's weight around when really it has little place to.

Quote:
In an address to air force leaders, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said: ĎThe Iranian nation, with its unity and Godís grace, will punch the arrogance [Western powers] on the 22nd of Bahman [February 11] in a way that will leave them stunned.
It may well be a negotiating tactic, we can only guess. I think Clinton is little too outspoken on this one. Not sure where she got the idea from...the US perception could be very wrong, I think they should be careful with what they say. Maybe I just don't know enough. Other sources would be useful.

This is a more enlightening read:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

The major democracies, including the US, have failed to try and change the Iranian Government, I doubt they will have much more success.

What all of the sanctions are can be a little hard to find, does anyone have a link to those?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 02:36 AM

I really feel like we need to stop interfering unless a country truly asks for our help. We're screwing over a bunch of countries and need to work on helping ourselves instead. What about the flaws in OUR government? What about our equal rights we don't have yet, or the starving children we have.

America's got such a huge ego we feel like we're so good we have to help everyone else. It seems like we just want to show off, and instead we make ourselves look like idiots.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I really feel like we need to stop interfering unless a country truly asks for our help. We're screwing over a bunch of countries and need to work on helping ourselves instead. What about the flaws in OUR government? What about our equal rights we don't have yet, or the starving children we have.

America's got such a huge ego we feel like we're so good we have to help everyone else. It seems like we just want to show off, and instead we make ourselves look like idiots.
Agreed. Iran's all about oil rights anyway, that's just not what they tell us. Let them rule themselves, our country is in turmoil as is, we do not need any more problems to handle, especially other countries problems, unless they ask for our help.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post

Well, I disagree. I believe when a country is turning to military dictatorship after announcing its agenda to create nuclear missiles and threatens to "wipe Israel off the map" (quote from Mr. Mahmoud) it is perfect time to 'interfere.'

I, unlike you, will not stand by and wait for 100,000 innocent people to die before taking action to prevent such a tragedy. Recognising that those dead are mothers, and sisters, and fathers, and brothers, and friends, etc, etc, etc, I feel that the United States should take measures to protect our allies, and our people-- even if that means 'interfering.' God save us the day we don't 'interfere.' Should we wait until another 9/11? Another Pearl Harbour?

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 05:03 AM

Actually I am in strong support of Iran in their research into nuclear weapons and strongly sympathize with the Palestinians as the UN (yet again) screwed them over by taking a good chunk of their land to give to the Israelites. I don't support the killing of the Israelites, but I support the destruction of Israel and it's return to the Palestinians.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Actually I am in strong support of Iran in their research into nuclear weapons and strongly sympathize with the Palestinians as the UN (yet again) screwed them over by taking a good chunk of their land to give to the Israelites. I don't support the killing of the Israelites, but I support the destruction of Israel and it's return to the Palestinians.
You can't be serious?

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Returning? It was never theirs. It was British owned territory that they chose to settle on, that Jews had lived for thousands of years (Bible? Jerusalem?).

Regardless, what possible reason would we have to grant them the land that they have so long abused? Because they send rockets into Israeli hospitals? Because they strap suicide bombs to four year olds? Because their mothers are proud of their children that commit suicide to 'kill a Jew?'

I agree that there are innocent people there, in some respects, but there is the option to live together, in peace-- yet the Palestinians will not allow for that. They instead, choose to elect a militant government (Hamas) whose sole goal is to terrorize and eradicate the Israelis, because they want all the land to themselves. Keep in mind that Israel could completely and utterly cut off all of their facilities (electricity, water, etc) whenever they wanted. They virtually sustain their bitter enemies, yet they are humane and civil enough to attempt to live peacefully alongside them-- again, the Palestinians, however, will not allow for such negotiations. Israel could also wipe them out in a second, but chooses not to.

SUPPORT Iran's nuclear campaign? You must be joking. What possible benefit could come of Madman Ahmadinejihad having nuclear weapons other than the threat of national security to every Western nation that stands for freedom and democracy?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post

You can't be serious?
100% serious, I am good friends with an Iranian girl and a few Palestinians and it is blatant that Israel is the cause of this. How would you feel if tomorrow the UN decided, "Ok everything west of Texas now belongs to Mexico"?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
100% serious, I am good friends with an Iranian girl and a few Palestinians and it is blatant that Israel is the cause of this. How would you feel if tomorrow the UN decided, "Ok everything west of Texas now belongs to Mexico"?
Read my last post. And that analogy does not even make sense. Israeli was gifted back to the Jews by the British after the Holocaust. Heard of it?

It was a safe haven for Jews, a people who have been persecuted throughout history, and continue to be persecuted today. How is it 'blatant' that they 'caused this?' It is the Palestinians who refuse to coexist. If they did not launch kassam rockets over the boarder daily, perhaps it would be a peaceful, shared land.

You have an 'Iranian friend'... really? Oh, well that changes everything, the unstable, borderline military dictatorship, ruled by a lunatic country should certainly have a nuclear missile now.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 16th 2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
Well, I disagree. I believe when a country is turning to military dictatorship after announcing its agenda to create nuclear missiles and threatens to "wipe Israel off the map" (quote from Mr. Mahmoud) it is perfect time to 'interfere.'

I, unlike you, will not stand by and wait for 100,000 innocent people to die before taking action to prevent such a tragedy. Recognizing that those dead are mothers, and sisters, and fathers, and brothers, and friends, etc, etc, etc, I feel that the United States should take measures to protect our allies, and our people-- even if that means 'interfering.' God save us the day we don't 'interfere.' Should we wait until another 9/11? Another Pearl Harbour?
Or another Israel Arab war.

I'm with you 100% on this pretty much. Although, while I believe in strong military action, I'd like to exhaust every diplomatic option we can before we turn them into mush overnight.

Plus at this point, I'm pretty sure if Iran tried to go the dictatorship route there would be another massive revolution. You've seen what happened when they had elections. The younger generation HATES Achmadinejad, and they HATE the fact that the Ayatollah has so much power. Hell, they're more politically involved than their counterpart generation in the U.S.!

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Iran heads toward military dictatorship - February 17th 2010, 03:51 AM

Okay, so my opinion changes when there is a threat to another country, such as Israel. I had forgotten all about the strife between the two nations. Of course we should step in to Israel's aid before all hell breaks lose, no questions asked. I'm just not fond of sending more troops to Iran. I know a lot of people who are in the army or the marines, so I don't like the idea of extending their duty overseas or sending more people overseas.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
Closed Thread