TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 09:58 PM

I think prostitution should be legal in America. We used to be the freest country in the world (or were at least considered it) but we are now starting to fall behind. We are no longer the freest country in the world. One of the ways I could see that we could improve that is to legalize prostitution.

If done correctly it could be an improvement to our society. Weekly health checks done on prostitutes and mandatory condoms are just some of the precautions other countries take.

Honestly, I think it should be legal. If you are a grown adult and you wish to sell your body or services for a fee, than you should be able to do that. You are not harming anyone or yourself. You should be able to be free enough to be able to do that.

What does everyone else think?




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
her_beautiful_mistake's Avatar
 
Name: Rachel
Gender: Female
Location: Britland

Posts: 2,262
Blog Entries: 29
Join Date: January 18th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 10:09 PM

We literally just had this debate... it's still on the first page... http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-c...-prostitution/
It's way too soon to have another one, it's not even a month old, do you just want people to copy and paste their answers or something..?

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; February 15th 2010 at 10:14 PM.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 10:11 PM

I know I did do a check before I posted, but I would be bumping it. It’s almost a month old and is closed because of lack of activity. So here is a new one. Thanks though.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough
*********
 
Blackwing's Avatar
 
Name: Zack
Gender: Male
Location: Arizona(Usa)

Posts: 2,830
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 7th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 10:15 PM

Yes it should be legal!!!


  Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 10:23 PM

From my personal point of view I would say no. If it is not done correctly it can be easier to force women into sex slavery, they will be forced to have sex with men and then their “pimps” will take away their money. Not that this is not happening now but it would just make it easier.
But if you but that apart if prostitution was ever made legal by anyway they must be licensed, must get regular health checkups, and can only work in licensed brothels, not in every corner. Other way it would not work out.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper
*******
 
Lugez's Avatar
 
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 929
Blog Entries: 5
Join Date: January 8th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 15th 2010, 10:58 PM

In a highly regulated form, then yes it could work out.

But whether this can be done is up for debate.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Gidig's Avatar
 
Name: Maria
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 2,123
Blog Entries: 390
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 02:39 AM

We actually spoke about this in my Philosophy class and it's one of the biggest issues that I'm passionate about.

So much harm to people happens through prostitution. It's kind of like marijuana in my opinion - people are doing it anyway. Wouldn't we rather people were safe(r) about it? Like regulations, constant watch over the profession and so forth.

Plus, it is our own body. We should have the choice over what to do with it when you get to a certain age of course.



The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Youth Pastor's Avatar
 
Name: Youth Pastor
Gender: Male

Posts: 237
Join Date: March 2nd 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 02:47 AM

I don't think it should be legalized at all. There are psychological effects that can happen and it's bad enough females feel like their objects anyway and this would just further drive them into that mindset. There are physical effects even with check ups and of course there is the spiritual side of it where God would not like it at all. I think this would only hurt females in a lot of different ways.


To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Lizzie's Avatar
 
Name: Lizzie
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 4,700
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor_of_youth View Post
I don't think it should be legalized at all. There are psychological effects that can happen and it's bad enough females feel like their objects anyway and this would just further drive them into that mindset. There are physical effects even with check ups and of course there is the spiritual side of it where God would not like it at all. I think this would only hurt females in a lot of different ways.
Well can’t judge our laws off of what God would or would not want us to do. Since we have that whole separation of church and state.
And honestly, I have never heard of the psychological negative affects that prostitution has on woman, so if you have those statistics, I would love to see them.




Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 03:19 AM

I have a question, if our society accepts prostitution; wouldn't it be lowering the bar on acceptable behavior? And do you think that maybe more women will claim false rapes?


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:18 AM

I have to say, prostitution to make the country freer made me laugh, it really did. That aside, yes it should be legal .It would make it much safer for the girls who do it, and it would also make it so that it could be regulated, health checks and all that. There would be less chance of girls getting killed or raped for trying to sell their bodies.

But there would have to be an age on it. No children being used as sex slaves (I mean sixteen year olds, they are children to me), no forced prostitution, clean places for it, and even checks on suspicious men.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:19 AM

I fear for children being accidentally birthed from such a practise. Because it's 'just a job,' what's going to happen to the child? She/he will grow up to be a prostitute, too?
Sad life, in my opinion.
People should get educated and get real work.


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
People should get educated and get real work.
Well said Phin.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:34 AM

I think prostitution should be legal with restrictions of having monthly (or even weekly) check-ups, notifying customers of the results of the check-ups much like how a legit restaurant has to display whether they've passed a clean bill of inspection. The customers should also be encouraged to wear condoms or the prostitute should offer to provide condoms.

If it is legal, hopefully the abuse from pimps will stop or at least be reduced, so the prostitutes well-being can be bettered. It also seems rather hard to enforce it and if enforced, the sentences aren't that long and they are given little to no support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastor_of_youth View Post
the spiritual side of it where God would not like it at all. I think this would only hurt females in a lot of different ways.
This is a debate about law, God has no place in it because law is objective, not subjective to only a certain religion (i.e. yours). Laws are not written to be "murder is bad because God doesn't like it". That's not how legal laws work in this world. You don't have people going to court and prison because they did something God didn't like, they go to court and prison because they did something illegal, were found guilty by law, nothing to do with any deity in any way. Archaic laws may have adhered to this but in modern Western society, this has been long abandoned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
I have a question, if our society accepts prostitution; wouldn't it be lowering the bar on acceptable behavior?
What is acceptable is determined by the society, so if the laws governing society are changed to make this behavior legal, society's view may change but it would not be quick. In other words, legally it would be acceptable, socially, it wouldn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
And do you think that maybe more women will claim false rapes?
I didn't think about this but I suppose it may be possible. However, I'm unsure why this would occur because what would be the likely reasons for claiming false rapes when prostitution is legal? The only reason I can think of is financial, however, the prostitute's sexual history tends to creep its way into the situation. Then again, these false rapes could still occur even when prostitution is illegal.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
I didn't think about this but I suppose it may be possible. However, I'm unsure why this would occur because what would be the likely reasons for claiming false rapes when prostitution is legal? The only reason I can think of is financial, however, the prostitute's sexual history tends to creep its way into the situation. Then again, these false rapes could still occur even when prostitution is illegal.
Yes, I know it does happen right now that prostitution is illegal, but I imagine it happens less because if you go claim someone raped you the person can say you are a prostitute and that he paid you so you would also end up in jail. If it was legal I’m guessing more women would use that to their advantage and say someone raped them, and since it is legal the women won’t go to jail and them man can face some charges…
It’s just a thought I had it can be possible.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while
********
 
Hdjdjdjduvieg's Avatar
 
Name: no

Posts: 1,127
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:48 AM

All else aside, why would society possible want to promote promiscuity and dangerous activities such as prostitution?

Freedom? That is honestly laughable. It is the opposite of freedom. It is exploiting women, and likening them to sex objects. Instead of legalising prostitution, why don't we set up programmes to help these women get out of their situations, and fund education opportunities for them? Start a charity, help them get jobs... Instead of changing the law, change someone's life.


I love the name of honour more than I fear death.
   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while
********
 
Guile's Avatar
 
Name: Guile
Gender: Male
Location: United States

Posts: 1,616
Join Date: January 24th 2010

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 04:51 AM

It should be illegal for obvious reasons, such as AIDS, drugs, pimping etc. There is an amazing musical adaption of a book about this, it's called Les Miserables.


Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
   
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Make Believe's Avatar
 
Name: Kayleigh
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: Wales, U.K.

Posts: 6,185
Blog Entries: 190
Join Date: August 31st 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
We actually spoke about this in my Philosophy class and it's one of the biggest issues that I'm passionate about.

So much harm to people happens through prostitution. It's kind of like marijuana in my opinion - people are doing it anyway. Wouldn't we rather people were safe(r) about it? Like regulations, constant watch over the profession and so forth.

Plus, it is our own body. We should have the choice over what to do with it when you get to a certain age of course.
I completely agree. It'll be better legal and safer than illegal and unsafe. Also, not just women are prostitutes, what about gigolos?


"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Pandamonium Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Pandamonium's Avatar
 
Name: Steph
Gender: Female
Location: US

Posts: 1,613
Blog Entries: 4
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I have a question, if our society accepts prostitution; wouldn't it be lowering the bar on acceptable behavior? And do you think that maybe more women will claim false rapes?
This is kind of my position. I feel like if we legalized prostitution, we'd have to legalize just about everything under the sun and moon. I believe there is a point in which human behavior has to be blocked off. Prostitution is not always cut and dry and yes, can probably cause quite a few problems.

I don't think having law in connection with prostitution is a lack of freedom, I think it's more promotion of overall safety and common sense in society.
  Send a message via MSN to Pandamonium  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?
**********
 
WashoutThePain's Avatar
 
Name: Ask Away!
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Nowhere to be found

Posts: 4,749
Blog Entries: 377
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 01:51 PM

I'd rather have people be prostitutes than have no way to support their family, etc. Just because it is legalized doesn't mean you have to partake it in... if others want to participate than who are we to stop them? It's really not that big of a deal. It should be watched over though to some extent to avoid abuse, etc.


   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 02:13 PM

I think it should be legal. If people want to do it then let them because they're going to do it either way tbh but if it's legal at least it'll be safer.

Has anyone read or seen The Secret Diary of a Call Girl? It really does show that not all prostitution is the sleazy thing people make it out to be. The woman was a university student studying for a Science degree and she was so desperate to get a career in Science she used prostitution as a method to pay for it. She's now a research scientist at Bristol university so it shows not all prostitutes turn out bad. Also, she didn't set out to be a prostitute it just happened one night and she found out she could make a lot of money through it. I really suggest reading the book or watching the television show.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link for the TV show since it has adult content so PM me if you want it.


   
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Gaia's Avatar
 
Name: Lou
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: ekam eveileb

Posts: 3,807
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 05:30 PM

I think there's a misunderstanding going on here. Women will not be exploited, as they are choosing the job for themselves. If it were legal money would have to be watched by the government just like any other business, the women would get paid, and the right amount of money would go to them. Unions would be set up so they get treated fairly. Making prostitution legal would change the profession entirely and wouldn't be as bad as it is now.
If a women wants to have sex for money, what should stop her?


"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while
********
 
LucyLouWho's Avatar
 
Name: Chelsey
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: West Virginia, US

Posts: 1,968
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 05:33 PM

Condoms and birth control fail. There will be many unintentional oopsies born into the world with a prostitute mommy.

No.

There are real jobs for those who are willing to actually work.


Previously Mommy.Wife.Student
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough
*********
 
Casey.'s Avatar
 
Name: Casey
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere in my mind

Posts: 2,343
Blog Entries: 337
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCVBerg View Post
There are real jobs for those who are willing to actually work.
Prostitution is a real job, it's just not one often approved by society. And that's also saying that there are jobs, but right now,here at least, there are no jobs, so if that's what they got to do to survive, so be it.

Someone once offered me money for sex, I turned him down, mainly because I was under aged. Would I sleep around for money? No. Do I think it's bad that other women(and men) do? No. It's their life, who are we to tell them what to do with it.


She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.


Smile through the tears.


PM me

  Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Youth Pastor Offline
Member
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Youth Pastor's Avatar
 
Name: Youth Pastor
Gender: Male

Posts: 237
Join Date: March 2nd 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 06:09 PM

Like combat veterans, women in prostitution suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychological reaction to extreme physical and emotional trauma. Symptoms are acute anxiety, depression, insomnia, irritability, flashbacks, emotional numbing, and being in a state of emotional and physical hyperalertness. 67% of those in prostitution from five countries met criteria for a diagnosis of PTSD – a rate similar to that of battered women, rape victims, and state-sponsored torture survivors. (Melissa Farley, Isin Baral, Merab Kiremire, Ufuk Sezgin, "Prostitution in Five Countries: Violence and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder" (1998) Feminism & Psychology 8 (4): 405-426

I mean this out of respect but thanks for asking for proof. By looking for this I found out just how bad this can get. It's pretty much a sex slave with no control over your life at all. They suffer so much abuse in various ways and some of the things I read should not be read by people who are sensitive.


To the world you might be one person but to one person you might be the world

Failure isn't when you get knocked down, it's when you don't get back up
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Gingerbread Latte's Avatar
 
Name: Cara
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Location: Scotland

Posts: 6,716
Blog Entries: 136
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCVBerg View Post
Condoms and birth control fail. There will be many unintentional oopsies born into the world with a prostitute mommy.

No.

There are real jobs for those who are willing to actually work.
But the thing is the women are going to do it anyway so there'd still be oopsies born.


   
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
noise94's Avatar
 
Gender: N/A

Posts: 3,231
Join Date: January 11th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsCVBerg View Post
Condoms and birth control fail. There will be many unintentional oopsies born into the world with a prostitute mommy.

No.
But prostitution and pregnancies from that are already happening so what's the difference?
   
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Pelios's Avatar
 
Name: Andrea
Gender: Female
Location: México

Posts: 3,691
Blog Entries: 48
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 06:36 PM

Yes, pregnancy from prostitution is already happening but making it legal will only make it more acceptable, but acceptable I mean more women will think it’s ok to have babies and leave them in foster care or even have an abortion.
Why have a law against drugs if it’s already happening or even better why have a law saying murdering is wrong if it’s already happening anyways.


Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.
   
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while
********
 
Ngikhona's Avatar
 
Name: Keeley Siobhan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,605
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: April 26th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 16th 2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
I think it should be legal. If people want to do it then let them because they're going to do it either way tbh but if it's legal at least it'll be safer.

Has anyone read or seen The Secret Diary of a Call Girl? It really does show that not all prostitution is the sleazy thing people make it out to be. The woman was a university student studying for a Science degree and she was so desperate to get a career in Science she used prostitution as a method to pay for it. She's now a research scientist at Bristol university so it shows not all prostitutes turn out bad. Also, she didn't set out to be a prostitute it just happened one night and she found out she could make a lot of money through it.
Not all gang members turn out bad, but most do. Not all gang members are violent or drug users, but most are. Just because a few people find a way to make prostitution work for them doesn't mean everyone will. I do not in any way believe that because something is legal it's safer.


"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
   
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
Emily.'s Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: middle of nowhere

Posts: 689
Join Date: February 3rd 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 04:22 AM

Although I am opposed to prostitution from a moral stand point, I also don't feel like our government has the right to tell someone what to do with their own body.

By legalizing prostitution though, we would push people in poverty towards selling themselves. Prostitution is illegal for the same reasons things like selling your organs is illegal. Because you push the poor into unsafe and harmful situations.

Sure by making it legal you may make it safer, but it is still selling your body as an object. For those men and women who are okay with that and choose to make their living that way, then that's fine. But then there are also those who don't really want to do it, but it's the only way they can feed their families. Those are the people we would be harming by legalizing prostitution. What happens when a family on welfare is going to lose their government aid because the mother is able to do work such as prostitution, but she doesn't want to? Maybe that is going to the extremes on how far things could go, but it's a possibility opening this flood gate could lead to.

Is that enough of a reason to keep it illegal? I don't know, but it is something to think about.


"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Synaestheasiaen Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Synaestheasiaen's Avatar
 

Posts: 192
Join Date: June 26th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 01:32 PM

Legal drugs and prostitution seem to be working out okay in other countries. And this type of legalization differs inreference to everyones take on morality. I say, to each his own. Of course problems could always arise, but you never know unless you try.

Quote:
Like combat veterans, women in prostitution suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), a psychological reaction to extreme physical and emotional trauma. Symptoms are acute anxiety, depression, insomnia, irritability, flashbacks, emotional numbing, and being in a state of emotional and physical hyperalertness. 67% of those in prostitution from five countries met criteria for a diagnosis of PTSD – a rate similar to that of battered women, rape victims, and state-sponsored torture survivors. (Melissa Farley, Isin Baral, Merab Kiremire, Ufuk Sezgin, "Prostitution in Five Countries: Violence and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder" (1998) Feminism & Psychology 8 (4): 405-426

I mean this out of respect but thanks for asking for proof. By looking for this I found out just how bad this can get. It's pretty much a sex slave with no control over your life at all. They suffer so much abuse in various ways and some of the things I read should not be read by people who are sensitive.
Even though this may be happening to some prostitutes, you are not the one to judge people on how they feel and what they want or choose to do. Everybody has different thoughts, opinions and morals regarding certain issues. I suggest people do research on how it is in places like the Netherlands.

Last edited by Synaestheasiaen; February 17th 2010 at 01:38 PM.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synaestheasiaen View Post
Legal drugs and prostitution seem to be working out okay in other countries. And this type of legalization differs inreference to everyones take on morality. I say, to each his own. Of course problems could always arise, but you never know unless you try.

Even though this may be happening to some prostitutes, you are not the one to judge people on how they feel and what they want or choose to do. Everybody has different thoughts, opinions and morals regarding certain issues. I suggest people do research on how it is in places like the Netherlands.
The Netherlands ended up initiating a crackdown on the number of windows available to prostitutes and brothels in the De Wallen district of Amsterdam a few years ago, as well as a number of marajuana cafes, on the basis of their links to organised crime - specially money laundering, human trafficking and pimping. As such, it's worth taking the claims about their approach to prostitution with a pinch of salt.

Taking it purely from a legal and practical perspective - seeing as, according to most jurists, law is not the same as morality - I do not believe prostitution should be legalised. The basis for this is that the research I have seen provides no evidence for the view that it would lead to better conditions and rights for prostitutes (such as labour unions or freedom from pimps), and to date no legal system has managed to achieve this through legalisation of the profession. I will elaborate on this further, but for the purposes of balance I will acknowledge the possible benefits first.

1) Legalisation would make it easier for prostitutes to go to the police in the event of a crime being committed against them, as they would no longer be breaking the law themselves. As such, sexual violence towards sex workers would have a better prospect of resulting in conviction.

2) The law could make provisions requiring greater health checks and the mandatory provision of contraception in brothels. This would help reduce the risk of transmission of STDs for prostitute or customer, as well as limit the risk of unintended pregnancy as a result of intercourse. As such, the health of workers and clients would be better protected.

3) Allowing licensed premises would help reduce the number of prostitutes on street corners, and so reduce the risk of violence and death to them or the likelihood of being drawn into further criminality. It would also help remove the stigma of the profession and help former prostitutes build a future for themselves should they desire to leave.

Those appear to be the major benefits which have arisen from the debate. My response to them is as follows:

1) A number of legal systems (including the UK) have an amnesty system in place for sex workers to bring complaints, and in such systems the police are required to address the complaint without prejudice or the threat of prosecution of the prostitute. This is admittedly not the case in all jurisdictions, but the primary obstacle to sex workers bringing complaints appears more to be the threat of reprisals from pimps or clients. Research in Nevada has suggested that the use of pimps is still common within licensed brothels for purposes of discipline, and so legalisation does not automatically lead to a reduction of this threat.

2) While an applicable statutory regime in Nevada has resulted in increased health checks and mandatory use of contraception, it is stretching things to suggest that a similar improvement in the welfare of the prostitutes working with the brothels has taken place. Allegations of ill treatment and deprivation of rights have arisen from both Nevada and the Netherlands, both stemming from the aforementioned enduring presence of pimps within brothels under both regimes, and there have been reports of child trafficking into Nevada (leading to the conviction of a number of pimps in Oregon in 1998). The Netherlands is also regarded by the UNODC as a primary destination for human trafficking. Unions have not arisen in Nevada under the legal provisions, and while unions in Amsterdam such as the FNV do accept prostitutes as members this does not appear to have led to an increase in protection or rights for sex workers. Evidence is at best inconclusive.

3) Research by the police in the Netherlands has demonstrated there is no proven connection between legalisation of the profession and a reduction in its use by organised gangs. Indeed, the opposite appeared to happen, as the fact that the brothels were legal provided an appealing means of funding activities. That is why they initiated the aforementioned clampdown. Legalisation provides no guarantees that prostitutes will not remain on the streets, particularly if they are unable to pay fees to the licensed brothels, and while legalisation may help start to change attitudes towards the profession this is not a guaranteed outcome.

As such, while I feel it could theoretically be legalised with all the safeguards in place that people desire, the reality is this is highly unlikely to happen or to have a lasting impact on the nature of the profession. Societies have yo-yoed between legalising and criminalising prostitution over the centuries, and none seems to have managed to legalise it successfully. Whether it should be legalised is more a question of morality, but as far as whether it could be legalised is concerned I am sceptical.

I would post URL links regarding the sources of my arguments, but I haven't made enough general posts yet. A Wikipedia search should do the trick though.
   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
SparklingWine's Avatar
 
Name: Lynds :)
Age: 27
Gender: Grill ;)
Location: Seattle

Posts: 7,232
Blog Entries: 197
Join Date: February 19th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phin View Post
I fear for children being accidentally birthed from such a practise. Because it's 'just a job,' what's going to happen to the child? She/he will grow up to be a prostitute, too?
Sad life, in my opinion.
People should get educated and get real work.

Wel put. I agree.
Honestly, being free is not always better..especially if we have to legalize prostitution.

In response to the OP, they would be hurting others. STD's,AIDS, pregnancy. They would be bringing in a child who would obviously grow up in a messed up situation.

With all the medical issue that could come with prostitution, our hospitals/clinics would fill up quickly. There are other people who have medical problems that they didn't bring upon themself. I hope this makes sense. I'm having a hard time getting this in writing.

Also, prostitution isn't classy at all. Why would we want to be known for that. It could potentially give America a bad name. We already are looked down upon.

I do understand your point. I understand why it would be a good idea to legalize it. But with anything, there are complications.

I hope no one took this offensively. :/


  Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Kingston upon Hull/ Brighton, UK

Posts: 1,494
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 04:19 PM

Yes.

Certainly prostitution should be legalised.

Firstly, the studies being thrown around claiming prostitutes get PTSD etc etc is an exact reason why it SHOULD be legalised. The reason these people are being treated so badly that they develop PTSD and other issues is because they are outside the law, have no protection and are often forced into it by violent people. If prostitution was legalised they would easily be able to get the protection they need, brothels would be highly regulated and simple higher quality, cleaner, safer prostitutes would drive the unregulated ones out of buisness as most customers would prefer the better product, so to speak.

Secondly. It will not only decrease violence but it will decrease sexually transmitted diseases amongst prostitutes. While prostitutes are much safer and careful about contraception than regular people as a rule, regular STI tests and screenings will help prevent diseases and help identify them quicker when they occur.

Thirdly. Pornographic acting is legal. What is pornographic acting other than legitimised prostitution? This is legal, and relgulated and thus far there have been few issues.

Fourth. It'd provide an economy boost. Regulation means taxes which means the government is able to make a profit on a thus far un-tapped resource.

Fifth. It would, at least to a certain degree, cut down on the use of narcotics to force women to prostitute themselves. At the moment pimps tend to get their workers addicted to heroin and then, to make them get their fix, force them to prostitute themselves. Regulating the industry will allow governments to cut this down. This is another reason why abuse is not reported much of the time, if you report abuse you cut yourself off from your supply. A reform on drugs would also probably help this, however that's another debate.

Sixth. Illegal prostitution funds crime. Now, I'm by no means saying that legal prostitution could not be made to fund crime in much the same way as any legitimate buisness could be made to do that very thing. However, as a regulated industry it will be significantly harder for this to happen.

Now, of course there will be issues with the regulations and they will have to be adjusted and changed to fit circumstances which were unforseen at the time of their inception. However, that does not mean that they would not eventually work perfectly well. Every system has issues but it's evident that legalised prostitution (while obviously not without flaws) is better than illegal prostitution.

Last edited by Jack; February 17th 2010 at 04:25 PM.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,540
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 05:17 PM

I'd 100% agree with Jack.

I'd also like to add that (I said this in the last Prostitution thread) that The Bunny Ranch is a very successful business. It's legalized prostitution and the women there make a shitload of money. The government can really benefit from this because prostitution is high in demand (and probably will be for a long time). This is almost guaranteed profit. How could you pass that up? If regulated and all that shit, then legalizing prostitution will do a lot more good than bad.
   
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while
********
 
MermaidMassacre's Avatar
 
Name: Bridget
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Land of all them lakes...

Posts: 1,362
Join Date: July 10th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 07:34 PM

I agree it should be legal.
Why should others care what you do with yoru body?
If you have no other way to make money and you chose to sell your body then okay.
Sure it may be wrong, but I never saw anything really wrong with it?
If they are not forced into it and chose it then go for it!
It should be legal!


I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Member
Average Joe
***
 
Nixie's Avatar
 
Name: Jessica
Age: 27
Gender: Female
Location: Minnesota

Posts: 134
Join Date: July 2nd 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 07:37 PM

Psychological effects occur even in regular, day-to-day jobs due to lack of sleep, stress, pressure, etc. The women who are illegally selling themselves today are doing it on their own free will. My point is that everyone has a right to do what they want, and with that come the responsibility for their actions. If they need some sort of help, like sleeping aids or to talk to someone (just as anyone who suffer from anxiety or stress) they can do so. Prostitution should be legal. It could even reduce the amount of women going out for prostitution if they know it's not prevented by law in any way. Women could be doing it for attention, and hey, if they can paid for it, why not? And also, rebelling is also a way of getting attention. Just giving some of my thoughts.


I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while
********
 
Jocelyn.'s Avatar
 
Name: Joce
Gender: Female
Location: Paradise

Posts: 1,135
Join Date: January 28th 2010

Re: Prostitution - February 17th 2010, 07:42 PM

I wouldnt exactly want it legal personally... but over-all it makes sense. Prostitution as it stands right now is, well.... bad and extremely unsafe. If the government could regulate it, it would be nearly as dangerous for those involved. Just like with drugs, the government can try and stop it, but they barely hit the top of the iceberg.

My personal opinion though is that there is a reason prostitution, drugs, etc. are illegal. To me they shouldn't be socially acceptable. I mean, that's why we have half the laws we do... to keep us in check and keep us doing what the government thinks is best for us. Pushing their opinions on what is right and wrong.

But like Brandon said, when you look at a place like the Bunny Ranch, it doesn't make prostitution seem all that "evil" anymore.


When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
l0stCause's Avatar
 
Age: 27

Posts: 277
Join Date: November 17th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 18th 2010, 12:55 AM

if sum1 wants to sell there bady and sum1 else is willing to pay then y not fuck we sell everything else in the usa so y not our bodies as well


“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”
   
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
Ngikhona Offline
Inkululeko.
I've been here a while
********
 
Ngikhona's Avatar
 
Name: Keeley Siobhan
Age: 24
Gender: Female
Location: Colorado

Posts: 1,605
Blog Entries: 22
Join Date: April 26th 2009

Re: Prostitution - February 18th 2010, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Fourth. It'd provide an economy boost. Regulation means taxes which means the government is able to make a profit on a thus far un-tapped resource.
There's only one point I really feel like addressing right now. Regulation taxes would be paid by the whole US. I sure wouldn't want to pay my own money for prostitutes to be able to go sell themselves off. It may sound harsh, but if they contract an STD or something then a lot of it is their fault in the first place. I don't think that prostitution is ever the only way anyone can get money, so it's their choice and they should have to deal with the consequences. Anyways, I don't think many Americans would be happy paying taxes for prostitution regulations.


"Love me for me, accept the fact I'm true, live like I want, fufill my dreams,
Dream of me, run out free, capture your words and never let them go."

I'll see you on the other side.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
prostitution

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.