TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 02:09 PM

Suprise suprise, another sexuality topic posted by me. lol. Apologies, but hey this is my field of interest.

Anywho... I choose to title this 'heterosexual Pride' over 'gay pride'... because I think there are so many different things to discuss about Gay Pride things, even within groups that want it. Such as the Pride parades, and those who go to party, and those who view it as a Protest, etc etc.

But I want to focus on the 'why is there no Straight Pride Day/Parade/whatever' issue that does come up, particularly from straight people.

As heterosexuality is assumed, accepted, affirmed, encouraged, and everywhere, it seems highly unneeded to have a Straight day. Admittedly, I think Gay Pride events are currently often done in a way that kinda misses the point, but at the same time, it's about self acceptance, publically showing who you are and that you are not ashamed, and it's a community thing, a togetherness. These things I think are only really nessecery (sp) for those who are part of a group, particularly if they are a minority, who have/do force adversity for being part of that group. It's more of a reaction to discrimination, and in theory, if there wasn't all the issues of homophobia and isolation, it too would probably be pointless to have Queer Pride.

Here's a quote I quite like that I think puts it quite nicely:

"I get sick of listening to straight people complain about, "Well, hey, we don't have a heterosexual-pride day, why do you need a gay-pride day?" I remember when I was a kid I'd always ask my mom: "Why don't we have a Kid's Day? We have a Mother's Day and a Father's Day, but why don't we have a Kid's Day?" My mom would always say, "Every day is Kid's Day." To all those heterosexuals that bitch about gay pride, I say the same thing: Every day is heterosexual-pride day! Can't you people enjoy your banquet and not piss on those of us enjoying our crumbs over here in the corner? ~Rob Nash"

So, yeah, are Straight Pride events needed in your opinion? If they are, is that a general need, or only in specific contexts, etc. Just general thoughts are welcome too. And remember, although you may very well have to discuss Gay Pride, as it is instrinsic to the topic, can you try and focus on how any point you make reflect the need or lack of need for Straight Pride, not just dicuss Gay Pride. If that makes sense?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 02:38 PM

Aren't pride days to celebrate minorities? Heterosexuality is the majority, not the minority, there is no need for it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 03:14 PM

I have actually never heard of anyone saying this before. But I understand the concept.

I know I see that comment as, by people making it into a big ta-do, they are just reinforcing the stereotype that being gay is the minority and that it is abnormal. If you want being gay to be treated like it is normal and to have it be accepted as normal in our society then by treating it like it is abnormal might only be hurting the situation.

Its like making a really big sign that says “being gay is no big deal”… well if it is really not a big deal, then why make the sign? It can say to some people “in case you were starting to forget you once thought we were abnormal in society, we just thought we would remind you of that.”

Now of course this is all a separate issue from like protesting for gay marriage.

But gay pride day and such is one of the ways people are trying to normalize being gay into society. But seeing as the things that are already normal in society don’t have their own special days and such, it is only emphasizes the fact that it’s not fully normal yet. Which is counter productive.

I mean, one day everyday should be heterosexual and homosexual, and bisexual day. And by segregating it, it might only be hurting the cause.
Now I know it’s to spread awareness, and I am all for equality. But I know there is this theory out there, that doing things like this might be counter affective if not done correctly.
Like the whole Valentines Day issue. There shouldn’t be just one day full of love, it should be everyday.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Last edited by Lizzie; February 18th 2010 at 03:28 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 05:46 PM

most people are straight so i guess that's why we don't have the need for a straight pride day. i wouldn't be against it [obviously] but i don't see a real need for it. it's like some people think we should have white pride day and white history month or whatever. [which i wouldn't be against, either..]

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 06:06 PM

It just seems like an odd assertion to me that because one is a majority, they can't show their pride in what they are. Now, do I want to have a parade because I'm straight? No. But, I look at it this way. Most people are ok with and supportive of Black Pride and Black History month, but how many people would cry racism if someone wanted to start a White Pride event? Why can't the majority have pride? If we want equality, let's be equal.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 08:12 PM

This is what I think; correct me if I’m wrong. The black month history was because African American people were being treated unfair and they needed to raise awareness to stop the unfair treatment. The homosexual pride day is because they are being treated unequal. I really don’t see why there has to be a day for straight people or white if they were never treated any different, I mean I wouldn’t oppose to it but I don’t see the point to it.
And to Rob or whoever you quoted that from there is a kid’s day in Mexico

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Name: Nameless

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 09:05 PM

I think that gay pride is absolutely pathetic and overrated. Sure your gay, your proud of it - keep it to your damned selves. Just like 'Asian Pride, White Pride, Black Pride' stop making a big parade about it. If you cared about your rights, you would do things in a political and respectful matter instead of dancing around blocking a highway with pleather and crotchrevealing clothes.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 18th 2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
think that gay pride is absolutely pathetic and overrated. Sure your gay, your proud of it - keep it to your damned selves. Just like 'Asian Pride, White Pride, Black Pride' stop making a big parade about it. If you cared about your rights, you would do things in a political and respectful matter instead of dancing around blocking a highway with pleather and crotchrevealing clothes.
Ermmmm Please don't just label everybody as a stereotype. Sure, some people do that, but you can't just put everyone who's ever attended (or cared about their gay rights) in that category. I for one can't honestly say I've gone around dancing round blocking a highway with crotch-revealing clothing to my knowledge...
  Send a message via MSN to That Sullen Piñata  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 12:17 AM

I think that if you properly organize an event, you deserve to follow through with that event. Regardless of the fact that I'm against gay marriage, I do think that people should celebrate who they are. As long as gay pride is not offending people or causing harm to someone else, then I don't see nothing wrong with it. With heterosexual pride, I think it's fair game. If someone wants to organize a big event for heterosexuals, then I think it's all fair game.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 12:24 AM

I feel that everyone should be allowed to celebrate who they are. And if heterosexual people feel the need or want to have a heterosexual pride day, who am I to tell them no?

I feel within equality we should treat minorities and majorities the same. They should have the same rights as us, and we should have the same rights as them. Under this falls their ability to have a Heterosexual day or whatever.

The thing with people getting fussy about not having a heterosexual pride day, is none of them have stood up to put one on. (At least none that I know of) If they want their damn day so bad, then go make one.

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 12:25 AM

I think the most annoying thing is when equality gets to ridiculous heights where its no longer equality. And I have a couple examples of this.

Case A: My cousin went to a school that was multi-cultural. Their "Holiday" celebration included Chanukka (sp?), Kwanzaa, and other similar holidays celebrated by different cultures at Christmas time. Everything except Christmas was showcased, when a decent portion of the students were in families that celebrated Christmas. It's nice to include the other holidays, but don't forget the one that has been part of our country's traditions a hell of a lot longer than the others.

Case B: One of my friends posted a "White Pride" group (not to be confused with "White Power") on Facebook. The reason he did this was because he had seen this news story about a group of white kids almost getting CHARGED by school officials for making a "White Pride" group. That story? They went to a school that was majority Black/Indian/Asian, they WERE the minority. The other ethnic groups had their own pride groups, so these white kids, being a minority, figured it'd be OK for them. But it wasn't.

Bottom line is, it's about Equality. And really, if a group isn't being treated equal, they do deserve ways to raise awareness. Although, I agree with Alkaline in the sense that the Pride Parades are made to promote Equality, and yet, are really a spectacle. Seems a bit counter-productive. They really should have their day for sure, though.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, multitasking with conversations.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
Aren't pride days to celebrate minorities? Heterosexuality is the majority, not the minority, there is no need for it.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkalineTears View Post
I think that gay pride is absolutely pathetic and overrated. Sure your gay, your proud of it - keep it to your damned selves. Just like 'Asian Pride, White Pride, Black Pride' stop making a big parade about it. If you cared about your rights, you would do things in a political and respectful matter instead of dancing around blocking a highway with pleather and crotchrevealing clothes.
I do think gay pride is a little too much. Sexuality isn't something to make a lot of noise about, it's their choice, just like taking the bus to work or driving your own care is a choice. Why should anyone else take notice because you're putting it under the noses of others and making a lot of noise over it. It's of no value to anyone but those taking part, good for them.
Yes, you can celebrate it, I don't mind, if you're enjoying yourself then great, but don't push it on me, or intentionally offend anyone....."you" not being anyone in particular.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and wiser, that in itself, is worth the fight.

The best way to predict the future is to create it - Peter F. Drucker

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - Nelson Mandela

(#13 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidig View Post
I feel that everyone should be allowed to celebrate who they are. And if heterosexual people feel the need or want to have a heterosexual pride day, who am I to tell them no?

I feel within equality we should treat minorities and majorities the same. They should have the same rights as us, and we should have the same rights as them. Under this falls their ability to have a Heterosexual day or whatever.

The thing with people getting fussy about not having a heterosexual pride day, is none of them have stood up to put one on. (At least none that I know of) If they want their damn day so bad, then go make one.
I don't think that straight people want a parade, I think they just want the LGBT community to tone it down. I agree with Lizzie. If people want homosexuality to be viewed as natural and ordinary, they shouldn't go parading around about it, or make a big deal out of it at all. Its just sexual orientation. It shouldn't be a big deal.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 04:45 AM

I'm all for gay pride, but not so much for those parades. However, I would go to a rally for gay rights, or participate in an event for gay rights, but not so much just being proud. If they want a heterosexual pride day, so be it, but I see no point in Pride days. I get being proud of who you are, but is there really a point to show off that pride? It just asks for more hatred.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 05:55 AM

I'm fine with homosexuality and heterosexuality, however, I think having parades and "pride days" is pretty unnecessary. I understand homosexuals tend to be discriminated against throughout history and to this very day, so if one wanted to celebrate homosexuality, then why not have what African-Americans have of Black History Month? Going through streets and showing off really isn't doing anything beneficial because people already know of homosexuality, it's not a big secret, so the only thing it can do is generate more hatred for those already against it. Those who support it but aren't part of the parade can cheer and whatnot to show support but really, they're not the focus. Overall, I think it's pretty unnecessary and maybe I'm focusing on the modern-day parades because these are what I see but they seem to be more about "BLAM, here we are!" when we already know you're here. With Black History Month, it provides an opportunity to perhaps reflect on one's views, learn the history of discrimination for those who support and oppose it, etc... . With Gay Prides, none of that is available.

Also, it's counter-productive because does it make homosexuality more accepted? No. Having a bunch of people go through streets doing whatever and wearing whatever stuff won't make it more accepted, it just makes it more aware that it's not accepted. When you look around, homosexual marriages are being legalized more and more, so it's already being accepted without these parades. But even without these legalized procedures, it still is and was accepted by many. For those who are opposed to it, would flaunting what they hate make them like it? Of course not. As a crude analogy, suppose I hate eggplant (which I do). Would showing me eggplants always for one day make me like it? No, it'd remind me I hate it and if I tried it, it'd reinforce my dislike for it. It's the same here, it only reinforces the fact it's not supported but does nothing to support it or integrate it.

If you're proud of your sexuality, then show it and live with it each and every day. That to me is pride, not going through streets with a large group showing it.

For the actual topic, I don't think Heterosexual Pride Parades are needed because all these "pride parades" are for minorities or groups they are discriminated against. Heterosexuals aren't minorities nor are they discriminated against as much, so it'd make a farce of the pride parades if heterosexuals made one.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
As a crude analogy, suppose I hate eggplant (which I do). Would showing me eggplants always for one day make me like it? No, it'd remind me I hate it and if I tried it, it'd reinforce my dislike for it.
... What if the eggplant wore pretty, sparkley, colourful outfits?

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post

And to Rob or whoever you quoted that from there is a kid’s day in Mexico
What, really? Is it actually like father's day or mother's day or is it different?

Anyway, this is kind of a torn issue. On one hand, "pride days" are usually to raise awareness for minorities. At the same time, what's wrong with being proud of what you are, even if you are a majority? I suppose I'll have to go with "treat everyone equally". Anyone can have a pride day if they want, and they shouldn't be mistreated for it. I'm sick of people getting treated differently for whatever reason. It's not going to help us see everyone equally. I remember when I was little I didn't see people of different races as "different". Now, apparently, we have to treat them differently because our ancestors mistreated their ancestors. This is why there is not equality in the world. Even if it has good intentions, you're still labeling them as different.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

February 19th 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Ah... So you pretty much just admitted that heterosexuality is the norm in nature, and that's why we don't have to celebrate our heterosexuality?

Quote:
I'm fine with homosexuality and heterosexuality, however, I think having parades and "pride days" is pretty unnecessary. I understand homosexuals tend to be discriminated against throughout history and to this very day, so if one wanted to celebrate homosexuality, then why not have what African-Americans have of Black History Month? Going through streets and showing off really isn't doing anything beneficial because people already know of homosexuality, it's not a big secret, so the only thing it can do is generate more hatred for those already against it. Those who support it but aren't part of the parade can cheer and whatnot to show support but really, they're not the focus. Overall, I think it's pretty unnecessary and maybe I'm focusing on the modern-day parades because these are what I see but they seem to be more about "BLAM, here we are!" when we already know you're here. With Black History Month, it provides an opportunity to perhaps reflect on one's views, learn the history of discrimination for those who support and oppose it, etc... . With Gay Prides, none of that is available.

Also, it's counter-productive because does it make homosexuality more accepted? No. Having a bunch of people go through streets doing whatever and wearing whatever stuff won't make it more accepted, it just makes it more aware that it's not accepted. When you look around, homosexual marriages are being legalized more and more, so it's already being accepted without these parades. But even without these legalized procedures, it still is and was accepted by many. For those who are opposed to it, would flaunting what they hate make them like it? Of course not. As a crude analogy, suppose I hate eggplant (which I do). Would showing me eggplants always for one day make me like it? No, it'd remind me I hate it and if I tried it, it'd reinforce my dislike for it. It's the same here, it only reinforces the fact it's not supported but does nothing to support it or integrate it.

If you're proud of your sexuality, then show it and live with it each and every day. That to me is pride, not going through streets with a large group showing it.

For the actual topic, I don't think Heterosexual Pride Parades are needed because all these "pride parades" are for minorities or groups they are discriminated against. Heterosexuals aren't minorities nor are they discriminated against as much, so it'd make a farce of the pride parades if heterosexuals made one.
Agreed entirely. I don't think either side should throw celebrations. It irritates me. That is one thing about homosexuality I can't stand. When people like... Ellen on tv, or someone who wears rainbow ALL the time... You don't have to flaunt that you are gay. You can be gay and wear the same clothing and celebrate the same holidays and things as the rest of us. Like you said, just show it through the way you live. I don't wear "Yeah! I'm straight" bracelts and go to heterosexual parades with banners saying "d***s are for chicks!" or anything like that. That's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
What, really? Is it actually like father's day or mother's day or is it different?

Anyway, this is kind of a torn issue. On one hand, "pride days" are usually to raise awareness for minorities. At the same time, what's wrong with being proud of what you are, even if you are a majority? I suppose I'll have to go with "treat everyone equally". Anyone can have a pride day if they want, and they shouldn't be mistreated for it. I'm sick of people getting treated differently for whatever reason. It's not going to help us see everyone equally. I remember when I was little I didn't see people of different races as "different". Now, apparently, we have to treat them differently because our ancestors mistreated their ancestors. This is why there is not equality in the world. Even if it has good intentions, you're still labeling them as different.
Yeah, there's a kid's day in Mexico.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."

Last edited by Lizzie; February 19th 2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Merge
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
AlkalineTears Offline
Hellbound
Not a n00b

Name: Nameless

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 19th 2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
I think the most annoying thing is when equality gets to ridiculous heights where its no longer equality. And I have a couple examples of this.

Case A: My cousin went to a school that was multi-cultural. Their "Holiday" celebration included Chanukka (sp?), Kwanzaa, and other similar holidays celebrated by different cultures at Christmas time. Everything except Christmas was showcased, when a decent portion of the students were in families that celebrated Christmas. It's nice to include the other holidays, but don't forget the one that has been part of our country's traditions a hell of a lot longer than the others.

Case B: One of my friends posted a "White Pride" group (not to be confused with "White Power") on Facebook. The reason he did this was because he had seen this news story about a group of white kids almost getting CHARGED by school officials for making a "White Pride" group. That story? They went to a school that was majority Black/Indian/Asian, they WERE the minority. The other ethnic groups had their own pride groups, so these white kids, being a minority, figured it'd be OK for them. But it wasn't.

Bottom line is, it's about Equality. And really, if a group isn't being treated equal, they do deserve ways to raise awareness. Although, I agree with Alkaline in the sense that the Pride Parades are made to promote Equality, and yet, are really a spectacle. Seems a bit counter-productive. They really should have their day for sure, though.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, multitasking with conversations.
Why are non-christians or rather those who don't believe in Christmas Allowed to celebrate it? Because of how many foreigners from Muslim descendant immigrated here, we now have Eid which legally any Muslim can take off to celebrate but non Muslims are not allowed to. Those Muslims are allowed to however, celebrate our Christmas. Christmas is christian (and catholic), and not any other religion.

The government(s) are screwed.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 05:18 AM

What we really need is a German pride Month, to celebrate all things German and to dispel all the bigotry towards us! But that is besides the point, we really play up pride to much, be proud of who you are, just don't go making everyone else celebrate with you.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Ian

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
What we really need is a German pride Month, to celebrate all things German and to dispel all the bigotry towards us! But that is besides the point, we really play up pride to much, be proud of who you are, just don't go making everyone else celebrate with you.
Dude... What bigotry?!
Do you get that it's NAZIS, not the German people that we don't like? When was the last time heard a story on FOX News (I logically assume that's your station...) about 3 German students being kidnapped, tied to a car, and dragged along the highway until they died? All for being German.

That's what I thought... You haven't. Show me evidence of widespread anti- German sentiment and I will stand corrected.
Do you also realize that just about every freaking person in power in our government is German/ white in some way?! There's German blood in a huge portion of white people. Stop making up enemies where you have none.

Now, as for Heterosexual Pride. No. Just no. Not necessary. What the hell do you think Valentines day is?! .
I think any pride days are a little messed up. Why show off something you were simply born to? I just ignore the Gay Pride parades. I say let them go off and do their thing. Pride is fine, so long as it isn't hurtful to some one else (such as Nazi rallies and such things).

There's more to life than showing off.

"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yen View Post
Dude... What bigotry?!
Do you get that it's NAZIS, not the German people that we don't like? When was the last time heard a story on FOX News (I logically assume that's your station...) about 3 German students being kidnapped, tied to a car, and dragged along the highway until they died? All for being German.

That's what I thought... You haven't. Show me evidence of widespread anti- German sentiment and I will stand corrected.
Do you also realize that just about every freaking person in power in our government is German/ white in some way?! There's German blood in a huge portion of white people. Stop making up enemies where you have none.
Hey, come one, what’s with all the anger? I completely understand where he is coming from. Every time I mention that I half German people always bring up the Nazi thing just because I am German. And as far as I know, I am not related to any Nazis. Just because you don’t see it going on, does not mean that it does not happen.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

Hey, come one, what’s with all the anger? I completely understand where he is coming from. Every time I mention that I half German people always bring up the Nazi thing just because I am German. And as far as I know, I am not related to any Nazis. Just because you don’t see it going on, does not mean that it does not happen.
I didn't say it never happens. I just mean that it's not something widespread. Something like White supremecy... Lizzie, I'm about as German and German looking as possible. I'm Hitler's Dream . Doesn't mean I have to go out and shout it to the world. Also, I grew up in Hawai'i. They hate white people. As a child, I was teased and beat up every day for being white. So yes, I know it happens. Don't ever think I don't. I just don't see a need for pride days about it. Culture days. That's what we need. Celebrations of SHARING CULTURE. Things like German culture festivals where communities come together and share German experiences are cool. But a bunch of Germans marching around saying how it's so special to have been born German... Please... It's something you can't control, so no reason to be proud and prance around. I believe in sharing culture with other cultures not just telling people that yours is great and you love yourself. It gets us nowhere...

I'm also right about our country being run by the white majority. Don't tell me about biggotry and how people are being kept down for being German/ Irish/ Engish/ any other white group. It's bull and you know it. I'm not angry, just frustrated at Guile's view that Germans are oppressed and have to stand up. Stand up to what, I ask...

"Why isn't bull-riding (Beef NASCAR as I call it) the American sport to end all sports? It's an epic battle of the wills between a man and an angry cheeseburger; and if that doesn't typify our awesome civilization, I don't know what does."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

February 20th 2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHolyValorx View Post
Ah... So you pretty much just admitted that heterosexuality is the norm in nature, and that's why we don't have to celebrate our heterosexuality?
... it is the norm in nature ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post

Hm yeah.

I think this problem will decrease with time though. It's still really very relatively recent.

Last edited by Lizzie; February 20th 2010 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Merge

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ☣ ArcAngel ☣ View Post
... What if the eggplant wore pretty, sparkley, colourful outfits?
Then I'd be all "Ooo, sparkly.. Ah crap, it's an eggplant" and punt it.

Quote:
I didn't say it never happens. I just mean that it's not something widespread. Something like White supremecy... Lizzie, I'm about as German and German looking as possible. I'm Hitler's Dream . Doesn't mean I have to go out and shout it to the world. Also, I grew up in Hawai'i. They hate white people. As a child, I was teased and beat up every day for being white. So yes, I know it happens. Don't ever think I don't. I just don't see a need for pride days about it. Culture days. That's what we need. Celebrations of SHARING CULTURE. Things like German culture festivals where communities come together and share German experiences are cool. But a bunch of Germans marching around saying how it's so special to have been born German... Please... It's something you can't control, so no reason to be proud and prance around. I believe in sharing culture with other cultures not just telling people that yours is great and you love yourself. It gets us nowhere...
I'm all for having public events where cultures can come together and mingle, share music, food and whatever else but I agree, I'm not for having one culture or sub-culture wear some fancy clothing and prance down streets.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Hm yeah.

I think this problem will decrease with time though. It's still really very relatively recent.
No. It really Isn't. Heterosexual is the norm and homosexuality is unique. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm just saying the way nature goes, It's the one main sexuality, thus making it the sexuality to procreate.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Yen Offline
Resident Leprechaun
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I'm all for having public events where cultures can come together and mingle, share music, food and whatever else but I agree, I'm not for having one culture or sub-culture wear some fancy clothing and prance down streets.
Oh, I know, I'm not really "for" it either. I was just explaining what I am for and the difference between a gay pride parade and a supremecy parade.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
No. It really Isn't. Heterosexual is the norm and homosexuality is unique. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm just saying the way nature goes, It's the one main sexuality, thus making it the sexuality to procreate.
That's... um... what she said?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesThisLookInfected? View Post
That's... um... what she said?
Um... No it wasn't... She said that was the norm in nature. I don't believe homosexuality is the norm of nature.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAlive View Post
I don't think that straight people want a parade, I think they just want the LGBT community to tone it down. I agree with Lizzie. If people want homosexuality to be viewed as natural and ordinary, they shouldn't go parading around about it, or make a big deal out of it at all. Its just sexual orientation. It shouldn't be a big deal.
Wow, I didn't expect this kind of view but I like it. Agreed.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake
Quote:
No. It really Isn't. Heterosexual is the norm and homosexuality is unique. I'm not saying it's a bad thing but I'm just saying the way nature goes, It's the one main sexuality, thus making it the sexuality to procreate
what?

(10101010)

(#32 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 20th 2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Um... No it wasn't... She said that was the norm in nature. I don't believe homosexuality is the norm of nature.
Er, yeah it was.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 21st 2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah, there's a kid's day in Mexico.
Lol, that's great. Is it like celebrated like father's day or mother's day or is it different?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 22nd 2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Dude... What bigotry?!
The issue is that people equate Germans with Nazi, and as such we suffer a good deal of discrimination, especially us with accents. The generic stereotyping of Germans in media, always being made the enemy in games, never getting a movie from the German perspective. (Well we did have Die Brücke but that was from the 50's and in Black/White). Unlike you a good deal of my family worked for the German military during WW2 and having all of them being portrayed as "Evil goose-stepping Nazi" in every book, movie, and in class is rather insulting. My Great grandfather built V2 rockets and worked on our NASA program after the war, he designed the engines for our space program and yet gets blasted in the media.

As a side suggestion to show that most German soldiers in WW2 were just fighting for their homeland watch this video Die Brücke Music Video. It tells the story of a group of German high school students who are drafted into the Wehrmacht (German Army) when the Americans invade their small country town. They are assigned to guard a bridge which is not supposed to be all that important but an American tank column shows up and the boys some only 15 die trying to protect their loved ones.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Last edited by Guile; February 22nd 2010 at 06:52 AM.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 23rd 2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlkalineTears View Post

This is annoying to me. Sorry if I sound rude I am not trying to but I used to say the same stuff because I didn't truly understand everything about being gay.

Here is the thing; gay people for the most part do keep being gay to themselves. They hang out in their own community and do their own things. They don't 'flaunt' it but if they wanted to why shouldn't they be allowed too?

I found this really cool quote and it says 'I don't care if your straight just don't flaunt it'. And, it is true if you think about it. Straight people can hold hands in public, they can kiss, they can hug, they can admittantly 'show off' that they are in love. However, gay people cannot (except in their own areas) because of fear. Fear that they will be ridiculed, beat up, etc.

So, why can't they flaunt it? They are being them, nothing more nothing less.

Gay Pride is the one day where they can openly be gay. They can be gay and bring awareness to the fact that there are still issues in the environment. Gay pride is something everyone looks forward to all year long. It is the one thing that brings the gay community together and gives them something to celebrate. It is the one time when they do not have to feel like the minority or feel hated. They can openly 'flaunt' who they are without a lot of fear of persecution.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to have that? Because the other 364 days of the week they are hiding who they are to some extent.

And, to be honest, if heterosexuals want to have a straight pride day they should be allowed to. But, I bet there are very few straight people who want this because 'straight pride' happens pretty much every day.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 24th 2010, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jenna~ View Post

Here is the thing; gay people for the most part do keep being gay to themselves. They hang out in their own community and do their own things. They don't 'flaunt' it but if they wanted to why shouldn't they be allowed too?

I found this really cool quote and it says 'I don't care if your straight just don't flaunt it'. And, it is true if you think about it. Straight people can hold hands in public, they can kiss, they can hug, they can admittantly 'show off' that they are in love. However, gay people cannot (except in their own areas) because of fear. Fear that they will be ridiculed, beat up, etc.

So, why can't they flaunt it? They are being them, nothing more nothing less.

Gay Pride is the one day where they can openly be gay. They can be gay and bring awareness to the fact that there are still issues in the environment. Gay pride is something everyone looks forward to all year long. It is the one thing that brings the gay community together and gives them something to celebrate. It is the one time when they do not have to feel like the minority or feel hated. They can openly 'flaunt' who they are without a lot of fear of persecution.

Why shouldn't they be allowed to have that? Because the other 364 days of the week they are hiding who they are to some extent.

And, to be honest, if heterosexuals want to have a straight pride day they should be allowed to. But, I bet there are very few straight people who want this because 'straight pride' happens pretty much every day.
Everyone, including heterosexuals, hide some characteristics about themselves. Having a parade where one can show off, be free and so forth sounds wonderful but how does that show pride? If you're proud of an aspect of yourself, then you'll live with it and you won't keep it a secret from almost everyone. If homosexuals want to be integrated more into society, then having a parade where they prance around really isn't going to do it. It's good if you want to tell the world "Here we are!" but the world knows this already. Perhaps it will integrate some homosexuals more into society in certain areas with certain people but you're better off the remaining 364 days of the year doing it yourself because you'll get farther. Think about it, those who attend to watch the Gay Pride Parade do so either because by chance it passes where they live, they're trying to get elsewhere but run into it or, the more likely one, they already support it. So the only people physically coming out to watch are likely those who are homosexuals or are heterosexuals who have no problem accepting homosexuality.

I'm not saying to go about the remaining 364 days of the year and suddenly show everyone you're homosexual but rather integrate yourself slowly. Will having a parade once a year integrate you as much? No. It may be nice to be free for a bit but the cause that it's supporting of getting homosexuals integrated more backfires.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 24th 2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Lol, that's great. Is it like celebrated like father's day or mother's day or is it different?
Different, it is celebrated on April 30, kids go to school they get games and a big party also in some stores they have a big sale and the kids have free candy. Some schools give the day off and just have rally’s and stuff.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - February 24th 2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Everyone, including heterosexuals, hide some characteristics about themselves. Having a parade where one can show off, be free and so forth sounds wonderful but how does that show pride? If you're proud of an aspect of yourself, then you'll live with it and you won't keep it a secret from almost everyone. If homosexuals want to be integrated more into society, then having a parade where they prance around really isn't going to do it. It's good if you want to tell the world "Here we are!" but the world knows this already. Perhaps it will integrate some homosexuals more into society in certain areas with certain people but you're better off the remaining 364 days of the year doing it yourself because you'll get farther. Think about it, those who attend to watch the Gay Pride Parade do so either because by chance it passes where they live, they're trying to get elsewhere but run into it or, the more likely one, they already support it. So the only people physically coming out to watch are likely those who are homosexuals or are heterosexuals who have no problem accepting homosexuality.

I'm not saying to go about the remaining 364 days of the year and suddenly show everyone you're homosexual but rather integrate yourself slowly. Will having a parade once a year integrate you as much? No. It may be nice to be free for a bit but the cause that it's supporting of getting homosexuals integrated more backfires.
Generally, heterosexuals do not have to hide a huge part of who they are though. Heterosexuals can put up pictures of their loved one etc. A lot of gay people cannot for fear of being treated differently.

But, besides that, I think a lot of the point of Gay Pride is to show others who are struggling with their sexuality that it is okay to be them. That there is a whole community waiting out there to love and care for them.

I know that for me, hearing about gay pride and what not always made me feel a little better about my own sexuality. Knowing that there were other people out there like me. Other people who were not ashamed of being themselves and letting the world know.

The concept of gay pride is different for everyone.

For example; I know one person who goes to gay pride and is pretty much openly gay but chooses not to disclose it to his work for fear of being treated differently by co-workers. Which would probably happen given the fact that a majority of his co-workers are anti-gay. Anyway, this person goes to gay pride to feel more at home. To feel more comfortable and to support and embrace the fact that he is gay. He keeps a big part of himself private for 364 days but that one day he is completely open.

However, I have another friend who is openly gay and doesn't care who knows and he goes to gay pride for a number of reasons. 1) To meet people 2) to talk to anyone who is struggling with their sexuality 3) to have fun.

Now, as for me, this year will be my first gay pride and I am super excited. I am excited to be able to go to a place where I will be able to openly say that I 'like girls' and not be rejected. I am eager to meet more people and talk to them and get some more support. And, I want to have a little bit of fun.

I think the biggest importance of gay pride (and sorry for not mentioning this in my earlier post) is the fact that it does reach out to people who are struggling with their sexuality. It reaches people and lets them know that there is a whole group of people out there who have gone through the same thing.

And, if your a person who has not struggled with your sexuality you might not understand this concept. But, when a person struggles with their sexuality they think they are the only one, they think they are alone. Gay Pride opens their eyes to the fact that this is not true.

So, yes, it is a bit 'extravagant' and it might not bring acceptance from straight people but in my opinion gay pride brings acceptance and understanding to the people who matter most. That is the group of LGBT people who are struggling with their identity.

EDIT: I thought I had put this up.

Anyway, as to the OP's question. I think that while it would be okay to have Heterosexual pride or what ever it would not really accomplish anything. From what I can tell people do not struggle with whether or not they are straight. And, if you think about it Straight Pride is emphasized in pretty much everything.

Straight movies, Straight books, and on and on.

Gay pride just emphasizes the fact that gay is out there and people should be proud of it not ashamed.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#39 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Heterosexual Pride Day/Things - March 2nd 2010, 09:11 PM

Not really. If you enjoy being straight (or gay) then every day should be a celebration to you

Closed Thread