TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 05:03 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Quote:
NORWOOD, Pa. - As the high-speed Acela train came thundering down the rails, a teenage girl screamed at her friends to get off the tracks.But Gina Gentile and Vanessa Dorwart did not move. They hugged as the train bore down on them at speeds up to 110 mph, carrying out a suicide pact that the witness herself had backed out of only moments before.
The loss has shaken Norwood and its neighboring towns just outside Philadelphia. There were hints the pretty and popular high school sophomores may have been suffering from depression, but experts say such suicide pacts are extremely uncommon ó especially among teens. Pacts are made because suicide is so daunting ó and they are broken for the same reason, said Thomas Joiner, a psychology professor at Florida State University.
"This is a deeply fearsome thing," Joiner said. "We're not wired for it; our bodies will recoil from it."
As close as sisters
Gee and Ness, or Gee-Gee and Nessa, were funny, outgoing and as close as sisters, said classmates at Interboro High School in Prospect Park.
Dorwart's obituary describes a teen with "a wonderful, caring personality, amazing blue eyes and a pretty smile." The second of five children, she had played youth soccer and softball and was a former Girl Scout. She would have turned 16 on Wednesday.
Gentile, whose father died a few years ago, was one of six children. The 16-year-old didn't judge her friends, always thought of others first and "was never one to worry about herself," said Patricia Roeder, a junior at Interboro.
But Gentile had been hard hit by the recent death of her boyfriend, who was killed by a car while riding his bike. And Dorwart's parents say their daughter seemed withdrawn from family events and had talked of seeing a school counselor, even as she planned her upcoming Sweet 16.
On the snowy morning of Feb. 25, police say Gentile and a friend cut class with the intention of killing themselves. They walked the two blocks to the Norwood regional rail station, where Dorwart ó who had stayed home that day ó met up with them.
As the train barreled its way south from Boston to Washington, Gentile heard the whistle and stepped on the tracks. Dorwart ran to join her, even as the third girl reneged and implored them to stop.
Text messages between Dorwart and the witness seem to confirm this was no accident, police said. The Delaware County medical examiner agreed, ruling the deaths suicides.
Underlying problems
But Kimberly Dorwart, Vanessa's mother, finds that hard to accept.
"I know she wanted to live," Dorwart told the Delaware County Daily Times. "I know my daughter did not leave here with the intention of being hit by a train."
The Associated Press was unable to contact the Dorwarts; Gentile's relatives have requested privacy.
About 1 percent of suicides result from pacts, most of which are between older, partnered adults who have endured a recent hardship, said Brian Daly, an assistant professor of public health at Temple University. Experts say suicide clusters ó single occurrences that happen closely together ó are more common in adolescents. Last year, the city of Palo Alto, Calif., was sent reeling by four teen suicides-by-train in less than six months. Two suicidal students from Manasquan High School in New Jersey were fatally hit by trains within two months in 2008.
Media reports that romanticize or sensationalize suicide can encourage copycats, said Dr. Paula Clayton, medical director of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. At the same time, she said, suicides should not be covered up.
"It's a fine line," Clayton said.
She noted nearly all suicides stem from underlying psychological problems such as depression. Nationwide, about 4,400 people between the ages of 10 and 24 kill themselves annually, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
ĎIt just breaks your heartí
Pat Carr, who sells train tickets at the Norwood station, is grateful she wasn't working the day of the suicides. And as the grandmother of two Interboro students, Carr was taken aback at the loss.
"It just breaks your heart, my God," Carr said Monday. "They're so young."
Later that day, teens gathered to grieve outside the ticket office at an impromptu shrine of candles, balloons, stuffed animals and flowers. Some brought homemade posters of Dorwart and Gentile, covered with photos and messages. A few feet away, Roeder sat next to a pair of crosses overlooking the tracks. She said no one will ever understand what took place that morning.
"What happened here is going to stay here," Roeder said. "You're never going to know."
As she spoke, Roeder slowly became surrounded by a group of students who began to share their feelings as well.
Then a train hammered by ó WHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSHWHOOSH! ó and the teens fell into an uncomfortable silence.
That was like a slap in the face, said one.
No, said Roeder, that's just life moving on.
source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35713764...lth/?GT1=43001

C'mon...commit suicide by getting hit by a train with us! All the cool kids are doing it!

Thoughts? Opinions?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 05:40 PM

Whatever the factors that led the girls to make this fatal decision - and to a certain extent that is always going to be a matter of speculation - that is a quite horrible way to die. My thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends.

RIP

(#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 05:51 PM

Wow. :/
I'll honestly never understand suicide pacts- and this is coming from someone who's been suicidal a lot in the past.
I just cannot comprehend how someone could let a friend die I can't even imagine how awful the girl watching must have felt.

Regardless, this is really, really sad and I feel for the families and friends left behind.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 06:12 PM

I'll never understand suicide pacts. =/
What a painful way to die. I hope they didn't suffer.
God bless and watch over their friends and families.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 07:10 PM

I think it's so confusing why people would want to do this, especially when they're so young. It's a very sad story to read about, and my thoughts go out to their family and friends.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 10:38 PM

That's how my boss's son killed himself, on his father's birthday.
People don't seem to realize how selfish suicide is and the effect it has on others. If you kill yourself, you're the only person on the planet who doesn't have to deal with it. It's not fair to everyone else.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make A Wish ☼
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lacey

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 10:49 PM

Wow,
That is so sad. I personally was in a suicide pact when I was around that age. We planned it out for two weeks but we all backed out because we realized how insane that was. We were so happy with our lives at that moment we never wanted anything to change so, we figured we would just die happy. I'm glad none of us ever went through with it.

Hopefully that girl will recover from what she saw. Poor thing.

Life is to short to put it off anymore
You gotta live it before itís too late
I canít turn that clock back around
On what youíre dreaming about
You better do it now, donít wait

Do something crazy and dumb, while your still young. <3

Need to talk? I'm here. --->
  Send a message via MSN to *~Circus Clown~*  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Jess

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 5th 2010, 11:07 PM

I'm sure many of us here know how it feels to be suicidal..myself included.

The interesting thing about life, and the one thing that will always keep me going from here on out, is that it can change so abruptly. In the blink of an eye, things can get a million times better. Things always have a way of evening themselves out. Always.

This happened not to far from where I live. My heart goes out to their friends and family.

skydiversinreverse

(#9 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 6th 2010, 12:50 AM

that's awful

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 6th 2010, 01:42 AM

Has anyone else ever read the Pact by Jodi Picoult? It's a good book about a suicide pact.

Anyway, if you're going to kill yourself, don't be selfish about it. Don't make someone else live with the guilt. There was someone driving that train. I remember reading an article in my newspaper awhile ago about some guy who used to drive trains and someone killed herself by standing on the tracks and he was so traumatized by it he had to quit his job.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 6th 2010, 03:10 AM

I understand suicide pacts quite well, but that doesn't make it any less upsetting or shocking. I don't think we should really judge them for what they did, sometimes when you feel like there's only one way out, you take that way, you just give up. And it's really heat breaking, but it happens. I feel for the families, and for the students.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 6th 2010, 10:05 AM

I feel terrible for the girl that saw it happen. God knows how she is coping with that memory. So sad

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
chrissybear Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: chrissy

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 6th 2010, 05:26 PM

thats bloody aweful my thoughts are with there friends and family

im not perfect and sometimes i break take me as i am or leave me be
  Send a message via MSN to chrissybear  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 8th 2010, 10:45 AM

Having three girls just hit by a train in my own community, well, I pray for their families.
It really is an awful way to die, and I'm glad the third girl backed out although she will have to live with this for the rest of her life.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 8th 2010, 11:59 AM

That is so sad. I cant even begin to imagne what the girl who backed out and the train driver is feeling right now.

The family is diffently in my thoughts and prayers.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 8th 2010, 12:51 PM

Its so selfish committing suicide, especially doing it like that where it wont only affect your family and friends, but the people who have to go pick your peices up off the track, the train driver, sometimes people on the train, people on the platform too. These didnt even know them and they'll be affected for sometime after seeing that.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 8th 2010, 01:32 PM

My uncle used to work for Amtrak, and was among the group of first responders to scenes like these. Years later, a recovering addict diagnosed with PTSD, he still isn't the same. My heart goes out to everyone involved. So tragic.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

(#18 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 11th 2010, 04:22 PM

This is horrible. I can't believe people do this. Then again the world doesn't come as a shock to me anymore. That is not a great way to die at all. My dad got hit by a train and died. It's horrible on the family. The family and friends will be in my prayers. I totally understand how they are feeling.

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 11th 2010, 04:29 PM

I honestly don’t know if I believe this. This is nothing like the first story that was told. And I clicked on the link, but the article didn’t come up, so OP can you link to the article please?
In the original story, when this first happened, a few years ago I believe, the girl who got off of the tracks ran faster than the other two and they just couldn’t run fast enough to get off. And it was ruled an accidental killing not a suicide. So… yeah, there is something iffy going on for sure.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#20 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 11th 2010, 04:45 PM

Lizzie: Here are two other links to the same story - one from NBC Philadelphia, the other from the Associated Press via Google. The indications are that this happened very recently.

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/...-85538982.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...5U4rAD9E3DVE04

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 11th 2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
I honestly donít know if I believe this. This is nothing like the first story that was told. And I clicked on the link, but the article didnít come up, so OP can you link to the article please?
In the original story, when this first happened, a few years ago I believe, the girl who got off of the tracks ran faster than the other two and they just couldnít run fast enough to get off. And it was ruled an accidental killing not a suicide. SoÖ yeah, there is something iffy going on for sure.
It was the original link, but they had it moved. It's now here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35713764...mental_health/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 11th 2010, 07:58 PM

I don't understand suicide pacts. I have been suicidal and have tried to kill myself twice but I could never take someone with me. Even if I had a friend or whatever who wanted to die I could not commit suicide with them.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#23 (permalink)) Old
MermaidMassacre Offline
Finding beauty in darkness.
I've been here a while

Name: Bridget

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 14th 2010, 06:03 PM

Wow, that's horrible to hear.
As others have said I have never understood suicide pacts either.

I'll do whatever it takes to be the mistake you can't live without.
  Send a message via AIM to MermaidMassacre Send a message via MSN to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Yahoo to MermaidMassacre Send a message via Skype™ to MermaidMassacre 
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Aimee

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 15th 2010, 06:31 PM

I think it's selfish for people to think those who kill themselves are selfish.
My good friend killed himself, I don't think he was selfish, I think he was in that much pain that he felt he had to do that to himself.
It's hypocritical to say they are selfish when nobody is thinking or even giving a damn of how much they were going through to do something so tragic to themselves just to escape from it.
That's selfish as well.

Anyway, regarding the story, I do think that these two girls were mentally ill to do this together, I hope they're at peace though.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Amp Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 16th 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful_Disaster View Post
My good friend killed himself, I don't think he was selfish, I think he was in that much pain that he felt he had to do that to himself.
It's hypocritical to say they are selfish when nobody is thinking or even giving a damn of how much they were going through to do something so tragic to themselves just to escape from it.
That's selfish as well.
I think you misunderstand the definition of the word 'selfish'.

OT: Tragic as always, my thoughts are with the family and friends, but I seriously lol'd when I read "WOOSHWOOSHWOOSHWOOSHWOOSH". What the hell.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
FeistyMidget Offline
~Formerly HappyLooksGoodOnYou~
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 16th 2010, 10:42 PM

This happened very close to me. I heard tons about it. They went to my school's rival school. I find it sort of rude that my school did not mention their deaths at all. I mean, yeah, they didn't go to our school, but it's always a sad thing with kids my own age take their lives, and the least they could have done is said something on the morning announcements. I feel horrible for their family and friends.
  Send a message via AIM to FeistyMidget Send a message via MSN to FeistyMidget Send a message via Yahoo to FeistyMidget Send a message via Skype™ to FeistyMidget 
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 17th 2010, 12:33 AM

ooh that's so saaaaaad

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 17th 2010, 03:04 AM

Amp, I think I know the definition of selfish thanks.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 17th 2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
That's selfish as well.
I consider suicide more of being...just weak minded. It's suggested that the two females were depressed and even if you're depressed...you're not obligated to commit suicide. I mean, these girls were pretty, so it's not because they weren't "ugly", it's not because they didn't have anybody to talk to, and I also believe that they had parents who cared about them, so the underlying question is did they really commit suicide because of depression? I believe that just because you're depressed isn't enough valid reason to commit suicide. I mean, in a way, it is kind of selfish because you feel down and you have people who care you, and you're popular in school, and you're pretty, and at the end of the day you STILL commit suicide? It's selfish to me because they committed suicide with a lot of friends, and they had a family who probably cared about them. Even the mother was devastated because she thought that her own daughter was fine, so the daughter didn't even bother to let her family know that she's depressed in the first place. And when you don't bother to TRY and get help and you just commit suicide, then I consider it weak-minded and kinda selfish.

EDIT:

And it's also selfish to commit suicide in public. Now, not only are your parents going to find out that you're dead, but you've got body parts and organs all over the train track. The train dude might even quit his job because HE'S devastated after having no control over running over those two girls. How often do you hear a depressed person wanting to commit suicide saying "I really want to die right now, but my family cares about me and I have friends who support me..." Probably never! Or at least I never do. I'd be shocked!

Last edited by Brandon; March 18th 2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Added more to it

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 18th 2010, 10:29 AM

Clearly Brandon, you are ignorant.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Teen Girls Hit By Train - March 18th 2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Clearly Brandon, you are ignorant.
If you don't have evidence to back up your belief, then I'm going to disregard this post and consider it an attempt to be offensive. Why am I ignorant? Please explain.

Closed Thread