TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 08:59 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/arrested-cu...0062565&page=3

I just wanted to get some opinions on this article. I work in a library, and I know that before I took my job I would have thought this was completely ridiculous. The thing is, though, a single family can really rack up a huge bill. Where I work, patrons are allowed to check out 50 books or audio-books, 7 DVDs, and 7 CDs at a time. Each item is checked out for three weeks, and can be renewed twice if there isn't a hold on it from another patron. Six months after the final due date an item will be marked as lost, at which point the patron must pay a replacement fee. There's a big price range, but's let's just say the average is around $15-$30 per item. Multiply that by 64.

I remember specifically a family of four. a mother had a bill of about $600, her daughter had a bill of nearly $800, her son $700. The father had a bill that was small in comparison: $92 for a season of the Twilight Zone. That's over $2000 in lost merchandise for us, that we have to pay to replace. And a bill this large isn't an uncommon occurence. This family found most of their lost items, and wound up with a bill just under $300, but most people don't. Most people just figure that the library is a way to get free stuff. It's not though. It's a way to rent free stuff. You have to return it people!

Anyway. That's my little rant. Anyone else have an opinion, or am I the only one who actually cares about this?

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 09:36 PM

Real criminals indeed they should be given the capital punishment or at least life in prison. But really now a days who needs the libraries anymore when you can download everything off the internet for a small fee and it’s yours to keep.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 09:46 PM

Fair enough, I say. They're not yours to keep. You borrow them from the library, you know you're supposed to return them, and if you don't, then you should have to face consequences.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Real criminals indeed they should be given the capital punishment or at least life in prison. But really now a days who needs the libraries anymore when you can download everything off the internet for a small fee and it’s yours to keep.
Sad but true.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 11:27 PM

Holy shit... Fines in England are way less then that. Then again, you can't book out that much stuff at once... I think you can take out 15 at most where I am.

But given the amount of money...I guess its not that ridiculous.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 11:35 PM

I think it's about fair. You'd be arrested if you were found stealing from a shop or such, so how is stealing from a library any different? Part of borrowing books is agreeing to return them, and if you don't return them, you're stealing. People seem to think it's nothing to a library, but it really is.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#7 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 12th 2010, 11:47 PM

It's theft at the end of the day, isn't it?

However at my college library they charge you 10p per item per every day it's overdue, it's ridiculous, we come into the college EVERY DAY it's not like we're running off with them just still using them and forgetful! At the public library it's like 1p a week ... They also charge the 10p to the teachers, which is hilarious, and you can't take more books out whilst you have a debt. Very annoying.

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 13th 2010, 12:51 PM

it's stealing.. why is it any different to going into a shop and stealing things off the shelf?.. yes, they should be fined and have to pay back whatever necessary.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 13th 2010, 12:59 PM

I used to be terrible at returning my books but now I'm over 16 and get charged for it I tend to either renew them over the internet or get them back in time. At the library I use if you have the books/CDs/DVDs overdue for over a month they send the book collector round which sounds really scary lol.
I don't think it was unreasonable to arrest them if they had that much stuff out and didn't plan on returning them. What punishment did they get? I had a quick look through the link but I couldn't see it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
CasiLG Offline
Average Joe

Name: Casi

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 13th 2010, 02:08 PM

I am studying to be a Library Technical Assistant and volunteer in my town and school libraries. We have talked about this during my classes and it is stealing when the person takes a material out and does not intend to return it back but unfortunately unless you can prove that intent you only have a civil case. The only thing that you can do is send notices, send a book collector, take them to civil court. It really is sad. I think that when a month rolls around and a book becomes missing the person should pay for the book and also pay a hefty fine for what they did. And if they have a lot of stuff out raking up huge fines I think if the stuff is a month overdue then it should be considered criminal.

P.M me anytime you need or want to talk to me. God Bless.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 13th 2010, 08:33 PM

Our university library tries to get around this problem by having a policy where if even a single item is over-due, the person cannot graduate and may be unable to get their final exam marks for the courses of the given semester/year they're in. It doesn't truly stop stealing the books but it can give the person a big incentive to bring the books back. Unfortunately, at our library, depending on the book, it can be loaned for only a certain time but many people take it out for much longer, especially if there's only a few copies of the book. This often has happened when studying for a big test or exam and is a real pain in the ass for anyone else who wants to use the book.

For public libraries though, I think arresting the person may be acceptable but I think it depends on how long overdue the materials were. For the fines, then I'd say simply add the fines up for each item and get the person the bill to pay. However, I'd only support this if the library called the person several times to remind him/her that the items were over-due and which ones were overdue.

For university libraries, I'm a bit more hesitant because the students pay to use the library, and although that does not give them permission to breach the rules, it's not something I'd consider expelling the kid for. Perhaps a quick arrest but the amount of time the materials are overdue is harder to calculate because some can be taken out longer than others. Also, the university library I use, depending on the time of day you rent something, it can be for a longer or shorter time (not sure why though).

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 16th 2010, 02:49 AM

I'm iffy on this. Public libraries, sure. It's the same as stealing, so arresting them is okay, if they are refusing to return the books. But college libraries? Definitely not. My college has this issue with checking books back it, they often forget and just shelf the books, which means a fee for someone who turned the books in on time. Plus, you pay to use a college library, you should still return the books, but getting arrested for them being late would be dumb. Most college students return the books late, we use them to study and forget to return them.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 16th 2010, 05:53 AM

I think it makes perfect sense to arrest someone for overdue books. It's stealing and can cost the library a lot of money. Nothing wrong with them wanting to protect their property.

~Cody

Normal User

(#14 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 16th 2010, 11:15 AM

Just return your stuff on time or pay the late fine and you can avoid being arrested. Simple.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 17th 2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
My college has this issue with checking books back it, they often forget and just shelf the books, which means a fee for someone who turned the books in on time.
That does not occur at the university I attend so I don't think it's something all colleges or universities do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
Plus, you pay to use a college library, you should still return the books, but getting arrested for them being late would be dumb. Most college students return the books late, we use them to study and forget to return them.
What about the students who want to use the books for studying also? There's a limited amount of each book so what would you suggest? Tough beans for someone else who needs the book to study or do research from? I know last semester for one of my research papers I really needed 1 book in particular as it was not online and the only copy of it was taken by someone. Happily, after being about 1 month overdue, the book was finally returned, thankfully intact and I got the stuff I needed from it. Did the person who used the book for an overdue time benefit? Definitely but do others who are patiently waiting benefit while it is used past its loan time? Nope, they suffer even more.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Arrested for overdue library books - March 18th 2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
I think it's about fair. You'd be arrested if you were found stealing from a shop or such, so how is stealing from a library any different? Part of borrowing books is agreeing to return them, and if you don't return them, you're stealing. People seem to think it's nothing to a library, but it really is.
I agree.

I like to own books, but at the same time I read a lot of books and it would be a waste of paper and money to buy every single book I read. I love libraries for that reason. My house would be overflowing with books otherwise We already have about 7 bookcases full.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread