TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lynnnnn Offline
loves to help out!
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lynn

stupidstupidstupid! - March 15th 2010, 12:18 AM

I'm pretty sure this goes here.

I'm sure all of you have here about those teenage girls in Gloucster Mass.
that made the "pregnancy pact".

I personally think that was THE stupidest thing that I have ever heard.

anyone else have a comment?

♫Hey baby, why you treating me bad, Hey Darling, know you make me mad♫

Last edited by Gaia; March 15th 2010 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Moved to Current Events and Debates.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 15th 2010, 12:35 AM

I haven't seen the movie, but I know the story. I would have to agree... Stupid!

I think most teenagers have absolutely no clue how much is needed to care for a baby. They say "Aww cute, I want one" and put no thought into money/daycare/time caring for it/the *exhaustion*. They expected their parents to basically raise the kid and pay for it for them. The attitude most take after wards is "I'm a kid, so let me go out and be a kid!" Well, you took the initiative to go get knocked-up, you thought you were mature enough to take care of it, so step-up. If you've never watched 16 & Pregnant... you should. Those girls will make you say "stupid, stupid, stupid!" all over again.

Although I do have to give credit to those good teen mommies out there Accidents happen, and some really do give it there all.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 15th 2010, 08:00 PM

Yes, it was stupid. And I am sure those girls are struggling with their decisions. But, as most teen mothers I am sure they are doing alright in raising their children. Maybe they don't support them all alone, but it is good that they have family that will help. The babies are here now, so something has to be done. & I am sure they will be the first to tell all of us that they made a really dumb decision.

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 15th 2010, 11:07 PM

doesn't sound like the best of ideas but i can think of worse things they could have done.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 02:29 AM

I've never heard of this movie that has a pregnancy pact but from the sound of it, it sounds pretty odd. I'd say it's dumb if the teenage girls are clearly unfit to be parents or haven't a clue what to do other than caress the baby, which is really the easiest part of it. Assuming they have the finances, ideally some experience with children and assistance from someone else who already has had children and who was/is a fit parent, then I'd say it's not really a dumb idea. I'm opposed to it in the sense that it can take quite a lot of effort out of the girls when as much of that energy should be devoted to school but if they have considered that and do have an alternative around that, such as a GED, then I'm more lenient.

Oh, and OP, could you make the title of the thread more informative, such as what it's about rather than "stupidstupidstupid!"?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 02:36 AM

I wouldn't really call it stupid. Immature? Sure, but not stupid. Everyone looks at things differently, and maybe they really wanted the kids. Yes, it's hard to be a teen parent, but it's doable.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 03:03 AM

It's definitely stupid, yes. What I assume is even dumber is the reasons they had behind making it. I'm assuming it was only for attention and popularity, which makes it even more stupid. I won't spend a penny on the movie either.

The ones I feel bad for are their children, having to be caught up in something like that. No child deserves parents that immature. =/

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadFish View Post
I haven't seen the movie, but I know the story. I would have to agree... Stupid!

I think most teenagers have absolutely no clue how much is needed to care for a baby. They say "Aww cute, I want one" and put no thought into money/daycare/time caring for it/the *exhaustion*. They expected their parents to basically raise the kid and pay for it for them. The attitude most take after wards is "I'm a kid, so let me go out and be a kid!" Well, you took the initiative to go get knocked-up, you thought you were mature enough to take care of it, so step-up. If you've never watched 16 & Pregnant... you should. Those girls will make you say "stupid, stupid, stupid!" all over again.

Although I do have to give credit to those good teen mommies out there Accidents happen, and some really do give it there all.
Accidents like that do not happen, nobody says "Ohh so I did just have sex, that's what they call that!", the only excuse for a teen pregnancy is rape, and rapists should be punished with death, but that's not the point.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Accidents like that do not happen, nobody says "Ohh so I did just have sex, that's what they call that!", the only excuse for a teen pregnancy is rape, and rapists should be punished with death, but that's not the point.
So there's no such thing as a condom breaking or other methods of protection being faulty while having consensual sex? Interesting. But rape is indeed another possibly excuse for any pregnancy, not only teen pregnancy.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
I wouldn't really call it stupid. Immature? Sure, but not stupid. Everyone looks at things differently, and maybe they really wanted the kids. Yes, it's hard to be a teen parent, but it's doable.
I can't consider it only immaturity because they did it completely for attention. It wasnt just one teenager having the mindset that she doesnt care if she gets pregnant. It was a whole group of girls making a pact to all get pregnant, and taking all measures to make sure it happens (including sleeping with homeless men, which puts the mother and baby in danger... I don't know if this happened in the movie, but it did happen irl)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
I've never heard of this movie that has a pregnancy pact but from the sound of it, it sounds pretty odd. I'd say it's dumb if the teenage girls are clearly unfit to be parents or haven't a clue what to do other than caress the baby, which is really the easiest part of it. Assuming they have the finances, ideally some experience with children and assistance from someone else who already has had children and who was/is a fit parent, then I'd say it's not really a dumb idea. I'm opposed to it in the sense that it can take quite a lot of effort out of the girls when as much of that energy should be devoted to school but if they have considered that and do have an alternative around that, such as a GED, then I'm more lenient.

Oh, and OP, could you make the title of the thread more informative, such as what it's about rather than "stupidstupidstupid!"?
Even if they knew exactly what they were getting into, imo its still just not a good idea to try and get pregnant as a teenager. From experience, its almost impossible to do anything with a baby around. They could plan on getting their GED, but its going to take a lot of extra effort for them to accomplish that (a lot never do). And they would still basically be relying on their parents for financial support somehow... I don't see how a teenager could be financially stable enough to support a baby. My boyfriend and I have a good income, and still find it hard to get by sometimes.

Quote:
You can fully well know your consequences for having sex, be prepared for those consequences, take every precaution to prevent it and still have an accident. I was on birth control when I got pregnant. So he wasn't exactly planned, but I was prepared.

Unfortunately teenagers will have sex, and accidents will happen.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 16th 2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Nah, no contraception is 100% reliable so accidents do happen. Condoms break, or other medication could interfere with the pill. Things happen.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 17th 2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So there's no such thing as a condom breaking or other methods of protection being faulty while having consensual sex? Interesting. But rape is indeed another possibly excuse for any pregnancy, not only teen pregnancy.
The age of consent in most states is 18, although in the rare case of Alabama I think it is 15, nonetheless they are breaking the law to have sex under the legal age in their state, no excuses excluding rape. Because of this it means that you have no excuse to be having sex under the age of consent, but as I stated before sometimes a rape happens 9and the rapist should be executed), and I can assume that most rapists don't use condoms, so I would say that is the only excuse for a pregnancy as a teenager.

Space Flight Awards

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 17th 2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The age of consent in most states is 18, although in the rare case of Alabama I think it is 15, nonetheless they are breaking the law to have sex under the legal age in their state, no excuses excluding rape. Because of this it means that you have no excuse to be having sex under the age of consent, but as I stated before sometimes a rape happens 9and the rapist should be executed), and I can assume that most rapists don't use condoms, so I would say that is the only excuse for a pregnancy as a teenager.
The age of consent in the majority of states is actually 16... but even most states where the age of consent is 18 there are laws stating (depending on the state) 16/17 years olds can consent to sex if the partner is under a certain age, or have "close in age" exemptions.

So I guess if you are 15 and younger and pregnant you better not have consented to that sex, or you're breaking the law tsk tsk tsk...

age of consent 16: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia

age of consent 17: Colorado, Illinois, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, New York, Texas

age of consent 18: Arizona, California, Delaware, Florida, Idaho, North Dakota, Oregon, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 17th 2010, 04:09 PM

While it doesn't seem like a good idea, worse things could have happened. Accidents do happen, no type of birth control is completely effective. I wouldn't say that it's stupid, perhaps immature.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 17th 2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
As incorrect of some of what you have stated is, what does that have to do with what I said? I'm not sure what rape has to do with this, unless my memory is really failing me, no rape was involved, so why you're on about rape I haven't a clue. But even if there is a rape, you must be crazy to say that condoms and other birth control devices are fail-free. Condoms can and do break, it's documented that happens and I'm rather confused why you're suggesting otherwise. Also, teenagers can have the thing called consensual sex with and without condoms, so that blows your idea of rape as the only means for pregnancy out the door.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 17th 2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
As incorrect of some of what you have stated is, what does that have to do with what I said? I'm not sure what rape has to do with this, unless my memory is really failing me, no rape was involved, so why you're on about rape I haven't a clue. But even if there is a rape, you must be crazy to say that condoms and other birth control devices are fail-free. Condoms can and do break, it's documented that happens and I'm rather confused why you're suggesting otherwise. Also, teenagers can have the thing called consensual sex with and without condoms, so that blows your idea of rape as the only means for pregnancy out the door.
I think Guile was basically saying that teenagers shouldn't be having sex at all?

Kind of unrealistic but yeah...

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: stupidstupidstupid! - March 18th 2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
No, I am not saying that devices don't fail, I said it is illegal to have sex under the age of consent, most states it's 18, therefore they should not be having sex at all. I mentioned rape to say that it's not your fault that you are raped, therefore if you get raped and pregnant that is different.

Space Flight Awards

Closed Thread