TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 02:23 AM

This topic came up in my psychology class and I thought it was interesting. Do you think that parents have the right to teach their children anything? This includes religion and politics. Children will believe most things you tell them, so do you think it's okay to teach children things that aren't true? What about controversial viewpoints such as racial inequality?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 02:50 AM

Teach them like their thoughts, values and morals?
Of course they do, it's up to the child to follow in them. I personaly will present my religion, values and morals and just hope my kids turn out to be good people.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 02:58 AM

yes they should my parents taught me there views on life. sure i dont believe what they believe. like my parents are very liberal. so most of there views are liberal. but i am a humanist. so my views are of that. and i will tell my kids what i believe. but i will also tell them to believe what they want

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
Teach them like their thoughts, values and morals?
Of course they do, it's up to the child to follow in them. I personaly will present my religion, values and morals and just hope my kids turn out to be good people.
Pretty much anything, actually. I suppose what I'm most interested in is if you think parents shouldn't be allowed to teach their children controversial viewpoints such as inequality and such.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Pretty much anything, actually. I suppose what I'm most interested in is if you think parents shouldn't be allowed to teach their children controversial viewpoints such as inequality and such.
This reminds me of the crazy racist family
Check it out.
WARNING THIS MIGHT OFFENED PEOPLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdi_VHvCR3A

I really don't know if they should teach them that, but I don't think anyone can stop them...

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 03:11 AM

Parents should teach children some things because for the early years of life, how else will the child be socialized? They cannot interact with other children for this because presumably other children are not socialized either. What gets taught to the children may be objectionable but later in life, children can realize that what they are told is not all truth or not all black and white. Having teachers teach children but not parents makes no sense because more often than not, the parents and teachers are striving to teach the same thing.

As for controversial topics, by not teaching them, that's having the children ignore them, which is not a method that solves anything that well. Suppose something is currently controversial so the child is not taught it. Three possible results then occur. First, when they're exposed to it later on, they're confused about something so basic, such as inequality. Second, if it is not taught, it's no longer controversial, however, something else will be and that will then not be taught. In other words, what is controversial will continuously be changed, and it will then not be taught. Lastly, suppose something is not currently controversial and the child is taught it but while still in their childhood, the topic is deemed controversial and should not be taught anymore. But that's not possible because the child just learned it, so the child would likely be punished for their curiousity.

Horrible idea regarding the controversial bit.

Also, for inequality, how can you teach equality without inferring inequality? So for some controversial topics, it's not easy to not teach.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 03:16 PM

Yes, parents have the right to teach their children their beliefs, values, and stances on controversial issues. And as children grow older and become more educated and aware of the world around them, they make their own observations and develop their own beliefs. That's how its always worked, and I see no problem with it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 03:20 PM

they have the right to teach them about their views and values but i don't think they should force their opinions on their children.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
they have the right to teach them about their views and values but i don't think they should force their opinions on their children.
I disagree because of what your statement entails, such as not teaching them that stealing is bad, peeing on the neighbour's dog is bad, throwing a shoe at the TV is bad and so forth. These are things that, after and before they occurred, it shouldn't be left to simply having the child decide if they want to obey the laws or become a criminal, it should be rather forcefully told that one is to obey the laws. By forcefully I don't mean beating the child while saying it but giving the views as factual because it is one's opinion if one is to obey the law, and parents should teach their children their opinion that laws are to be obeyed (assuming the parent doesn't approve of breaking laws).

For other topics, such as ones about religion, abortion, sex and so forth, those are things I think the child should be told of and possibly told the parents' view(s) but not to a point where they must obey the parents' view(s). For example, they should be told what abortion is and the parents should give the child their views but also give them enough moral freedom to choose their own opinions on it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I'm all for ending racism and peace and equality and all of that, but the problem is: who decides what is controversial? The government? A religious organization? Schools? Courts? What happens when not teaching kids to hate other races turns into teaching kids to mindlessly obey the government or that ____ is evil or anything else? I mean, I just don't think anyone can say what is right or wrong and it should be up to the parents what to teach them and the kids what they end up believing as they grow into adults.

~Cody

Normal User

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 05:25 PM

I think it is good, and should be encouraged for the most part, in the end children are impressionable but they change by quite a bit whilst they go up. I don't think that parents should teach them to be racist or things similar to that but they should definitely teach them a good moral code, even there religion to be honest. My mums a Christian but I've turned out to be an atheist so it's not like there'll be any permanent damage.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
I disagree because of what your statement entails, such as not teaching them that stealing is bad, peeing on the neighbour's dog is bad, throwing a shoe at the TV is bad and so forth. These are things that, after and before they occurred, it shouldn't be left to simply having the child decide if they want to obey the laws or become a criminal, it should be rather forcefully told that one is to obey the laws. By forcefully I don't mean beating the child while saying it but giving the views as factual because it is one's opinion if one is to obey the law, and parents should teach their children their opinion that laws are to be obeyed (assuming the parent doesn't approve of breaking laws).

For other topics, such as ones about religion, abortion, sex and so forth, those are things I think the child should be told of and possibly told the parents' view(s) but not to a point where they must obey the parents' view(s). For example, they should be told what abortion is and the parents should give the child their views but also give them enough moral freedom to choose their own opinions on it.
I couldnt agree with this more...

If only we lived in a perfect world. Parents will always have the right to raise their children however they see fit (unless its abuse, and even then they can still get away with it...). That means pushing every belief, value, and moral they have on their children until they're blue in the face. And even punish their children for not believing what they believe. That child always has the right to grow up and think whatever they want to think, but typically whatever mom and dad says is right.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 18th 2010, 06:38 PM

As long as they are not teaching them to hurt themselves or others, yes it is fine.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 19th 2010, 06:33 AM

Like I believe has been said, who else is going to teach them controversial topics? The government?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 19th 2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
As long as they are not teaching them to hurt themselves or others, yes it is fine.

Exactly.....

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 19th 2010, 09:42 PM

Depends. They can teach them some stuff, like racial equality, but I don't think they should do stuff like religion.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Spellbound Offline
LGRW
I can't get enough

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 20th 2010, 01:05 AM

Yes, they definitely should be able to teach their children. But if what they're saying is forcing the child to believe what they believe in, then that's wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and their parents shouldn't dictate their child's views and opinions on everything.

Send a message via MSN to Spellbound  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
EightEleven91 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dan

Re: Parents teaching their children - March 20th 2010, 01:18 AM

Yeah they can teach what they like to there child depending upon how they want there child to act..
Obviously they have there own mind though and will make there own beliefs and stuff like that later though.

Closed Thread