TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

"All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 11:43 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super fine day.

Just before 5 PM on Sunday, March the 14th, at a Southern New Jersey Wal-Mart - a voice was heard over the public address system. [The loud speakers in the store - you know - where you would usually hear something like, "Attention Walmart Shoppers - pork rines are now 30% off]

"All blacks need to leave the store."

Wal-Mart is 'appalled'.

No one knows WHO gave that message. But it was a man - and the incident is being investigated as a 'suspected bias intimidation CRIME'.

Was it a silly thing to do? Or course. Should customer access [Assuming it was a customer and NOT a Wal-Mart employee] to the store speaker system be limited or even denied entirely - absolutely. Was what happened a CRIME? NO! Or at least it shouldn't be.

WHat do YOU think?!

Click on THIS to read the story.

Is what happened a BIG DEAL?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 01:07 PM

Security tapes should have caught the person who made this scene!

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 01:10 PM

I think they should have a better eye on their public address system, it says their are some telephones used to do it which can be accessed by customers and some can't be seen by the security cameras. If that's the case, anyone could have done it and walked out without anyone even noticing it was them.

I think the whole investigation on it though is stupid. It was probably just a joke to the person who did it and as said, it could have been literally anyone who did it so what are the chances of them finding the person responsible unless of course there was a chance they were caught on camera. They should just make things for staff use only possibly to be used by staff and not have them in customers reach to save incidents like this in the future and leave it at that.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 01:50 PM

Security will find them and ban them. And I think it could be seen as a crime as it is out right racism. Not 100% sure though.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 02:38 PM

I don't think it was a good or mature thing to do, but I think having a big investigation into it and treating it as a crime is silly. I'm sure some teen was going through a "100 things to do in Walmart" list or something similar and thought it'd be funny to see what happened. Hell, I think it'd be funny to try something like that if I could say something non-racist and get away with it.

Honestly, people need to understand it was a joke, one in bad taste sure, but still just a joke. It's not the end of the world, move on and do something more important than investigating a prank.

~Cody

Normal User

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 03:23 PM

isn't racism like that technically considered a crime though? idk. meh, the guy should just be banned from the store or if he's an employee he should be fired and banned.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 07:00 PM

This is ridiculous. I'm pretty sure it was a joke, and the chance of them finding the person who said it is slim to none. They should have locks on their PA system, instead of leaving it so anyone could use it. To be frank, it could have been much worse, and although it is wrong to say, is it really racist? They didn't say "All blacks should leave because you are inferior to white people and don't have the right to shop here" or "Blacks should all die". They could have said that all whites should leave, and I doubt there would be much debate over that if they had. What I'm getting at is that, although it was wrong, I doubt anything will come of it.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 18th 2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
isn't racism like that technically considered a crime though? idk. meh, the guy should just be banned from the store or if he's an employee he should be fired and banned.
Racism itself is not a crime but a crime against another person is a crime in other words racial violence is the crime.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 06:44 AM

Assuming there's no policy in Wal-Mart to punish people who misuse the telephone equipment, why exactly are police being called in? The person cant really be arrested for anything. The voice identification, although their only "lead" is one of the poorest ways of identifying someone, worst than visual eye-witness. Thus, their evidence is so weak that if they do try to arrest the person and bring them to court, any lawyer with half a brain will instantly argue this and point out what the American Psychology-Law Association has said about such a method of identification in that it is so pathetically weak. They could use a comparative voice technology program to support the person who identifies the man, which would have more solid evidence but that presupposes they get a) the man and b) the man with the correct voice and not a very similar voice. On top of that, there's the issue of the content of what was said: was it a racist, disciminatory comment? At first glance it may seem to be so but the intent is pretty ambiguous, it's really hard to figure out if this was meant to be racist and disciminatory or not.

I think it was probably a harmless little prank and the guilty parties here are the person and Wal-Mart for giving such easy access without proper camera monitoring.

The police say it's a "suspected bias intimidation crime", well possibly but it could also be a silly little prank where it'd be a waste of resources to pursue.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 11:15 AM

Obviously what he done wasn't "good" but I think the investigation is going over the top :/ I agree with everything Cody just said.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 05:36 PM

I believe that whether you are black, or white, we are all the same inside. I think that what that person did was RUDE and INCONSIDERATE!! I hope that they find out who it was..

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Brittany. View Post
I believe that whether you are black, or white, we are all the same inside. I think that what that person did was RUDE and INCONSIDERATE!! I hope that they find out who it was..
I agree that is was both rude and inconsiderate. I still think that spending resources to find out who did it is a total waste of time and more of a PR move than anything.

~Cody

Normal User

(#13 (permalink)) Old
BigBL87 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 08:15 PM

Dumb thing to do, and ignorant.

By the same token, I've seen people say that they won't shop at Wal-Mart for awhile because of it. I personally think that is just as stupid, as it wasn't Wal-Mart that did it, it was some customer or employee that decided to do something stupid. Don't judge a company based on one idiot.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 19th 2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBL87 View Post
Dumb thing to do, and ignorant.

By the same token, I've seen people say that they won't shop at Wal-Mart for awhile because of it. I personally think that is just as stupid, as it wasn't Wal-Mart that did it, it was some customer or employee that decided to do something stupid. Don't judge a company based on one idiot.
People wants to vent off their anger at something. They ended up choosing Wal-Mart. As ignorant and stupid it sounds...

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 20th 2010, 10:15 PM

New info http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/03/20/...ark/index.html

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 20th 2010, 10:23 PM

I don't believe that it's a crime, no. Everyone is entitled to freedom of speech and their own beliefs, and if they feel that blacks should leave the store then it's their right to voice that, even if it is wrong and offensive. It shouldn't be tolerated by the store, and he should be talked to about this, but he shouldn't be deemed a criminal.

And I doubt it would have been as controversial if someone had said "All whites need to leave the store..."

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#17 (permalink)) Old
OwlsInTheSky Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 20th 2010, 10:29 PM

The funny thing about this is the way everyone is reacting. If people had just shrugged it off and paid it no mind then the "prank" would have no effect. The reactions that people had are probably what the person was going for. If you were to say in a store "All white people must leave the store" most people would just shrug it off and pay it no mind. By reacting people are fueling the fire and letting the prankster win.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 20th 2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares View Post
Huh? Assuming the kid didn't do anything else.... harassment and bias intimidation for this?

(#19 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: "All blacks need to leave the store" - March 21st 2010, 05:51 AM

Stupid idea but it was a joke. I've seen it done before. He probably should of come up with something better to say that wasnt going to offend people though. But yeah, not a big deal. The guy should be banned from Walmart and the mic should be moved away from public access and that should be the end of it.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread