TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
Hello :D
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 02:31 AM

By this I mean like when people are dying and are suffering so badly, provided they are in their right mind (as in not drugged up, or be under anything that could make them say the wrong thing) should they be able to be euthanised?

I think so, I think it is so unfair to keep people alive in some situations. For example think of an old couple who had been married for 60 odd years. The man dies, the woman is dying of lung cancer. She is in so much pain, pain from the cancer, pain from the death of her husband, she is going to die at some stage, the cancer is terminal...she doesn't want to live any more. I think in this case she should be allowed to make the decision!

I really think its more inhumane to keep people suffering, and going against their will! But thats my opinon, im interested in what you all think?

(by the way if this is a duplicate thread you can close it )

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 04:12 AM

It's sad, but I don't think humans should be allowed to kill themselves.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 04:23 AM

I think it depends. It's actually legal in some states in the U.S (Oregon and Washington). I really do think it depends. If you are sick and suffering, and you want to die, then you should be allowed to die, but only if you are ready. No one should be forced to live when they are in so much pain and agony.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cas* View Post
I think it depends. It's actually legal in some states in the U.S (Oregon and Washington). I really do think it depends. If you are sick and suffering, and you want to die, then you should be allowed to die, but only if you are ready. No one should be forced to live when they are in so much pain and agony.
I agree with most of this but one part I'm confused on. How can one truly know that they are "ready", and how can the person(s) doing the euthanization reliably know that the person is indeed "ready" and not rushing?

What is your view on pallitive (sp?) medicine?

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 05:12 AM

I believe in it. If a person has a illness that is incurable and is going to kill them, they should be able to die in a dignified way and free themselves of pain if/when they choose. What's the point of living in pain and suffering, just to die in the end anyway? I find it pointless and horrible to drag out someones suffering when it's cleary not what they want.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Last edited by MegaMadness; March 21st 2010 at 05:19 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Penguin Queen Offline
Penguin queen!!
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 10:27 AM

If someone is dying and in a lot of pain or has a very very poor quality of life (e.g. only a few months left to live, totally unable to even feed themselves and aware of this) they should be able to. If they aren't dying but suffering from a long term illness I'm not so sure. Its a difficult one because if someones going to be in pain and unable to care for themselves for the rest of their lives why should we force them? But at the same time its hard to know where to draw the line in that situation, I heard about a guy who was paralysed from the waist down, and had been forr only 6 months, who went to Switzerland to die. In that situation I don't even think he had come to terms with it! Its a lot harder to know with people who aren't dying.

fait
h is a bluebird that you see from afar
it is real and as sure as the first evening star
can't touch it, or buy it, or lock it up tight
but its there just the same
making things turn out right

LE PE
NGUIN QUEEN

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMadness View Post
I believe in it. If a person has a illness that is incurable and is going to kill them, they should be able to die in a dignified way and free themselves of pain if/when they choose. What's the point of living in pain and suffering, just to die in the end anyway? I find it pointless and horrible to drag out someones suffering when it's cleary not what they want.
I agree with this.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 03:06 PM

i've thought about this topic a lot recently and i'm not sure.. for a few reasons.

- Proper palliative care can make euthanasia unnecessary.
- Euthanasia would be difficult to regulate.
- Will lead to terminally ill people not being treated as well if we have Euthanasia.
- Allowing euthanasia could discourage the research for new cures and treatments for the terminally ill.
- Pressure on the elderly from family members and pressure on the vulnerable.
- Gives too much power to doctors. Doctors are not always right. and some doctors may not have the morals that we like to think. They may try and pressure people into Euthanasia to free up resources.
- It is not easy to define suffering. What is suffering to one person may not be suffering to another.

What if the diagnosis is wrong and the person is not terminally ill? The patient could be depressed and therefore believe their situation to be much worse than it is? The patient could be confused and not able to make an informed and sensible decision, they may feel that they are a burden on others.

i'm not going to say i am against Euthanasia because i can understand why someone would feel that Euthanasia is necessary for them. In my mind there are too many questions to be able to say i support it, though.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMadness View Post
QFT, thanks for putting it so succinctly Megan.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
PhoenixAlive Offline
Mizu-Kun (Saito)'s Spouse
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post
i've thought about this topic a lot recently and i'm not sure.. for a few reasons.

- Proper palliative care can make euthanasia unnecessary.
- Euthanasia would be difficult to regulate.
- Will lead to terminally ill people not being treated as well if we have Euthanasia.
- Allowing euthanasia could discourage the research for new cures and treatments for the terminally ill.
- Pressure on the elderly from family members and pressure on the vulnerable.
- Gives too much power to doctors. Doctors are not always right. and some doctors may not have the morals that we like to think. They may try and pressure people into Euthanasia to free up resources.
- It is not easy to define suffering. What is suffering to one person may not be suffering to another.

What if the diagnosis is wrong and the person is not terminally ill? The patient could be depressed and therefore believe their situation to be much worse than it is? The patient could be confused and not able to make an informed and sensible decision, they may feel that they are a burden on others.

i'm not going to say i am against Euthanasia because i can understand why someone would feel that Euthanasia is necessary for them. In my mind there are too many questions to be able to say i support it, though.
I was going to say I agree with euthanasia, but after reading Elle's post, I might have to think a bit more about it. You've got some really good points there.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrongô
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 08:24 PM

If somebody is suffering, and near death anyways, I think it may be okay. I am not saying it is okay, but there are certain circumstances. However, I do not think it is fair to put that type of weight on the person who would do it. Like... The doctor. I am not sure if that made sense, but that is what I think about the matter.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 08:59 PM

Yes, I think people should be allowed to die.

That is, if they're going to die some time soon and they're under extreme pain and can't do anything with our the aid of someone. Of course people would have to be strict about it, and I don't think it should be offered free, but I still think it should be legal.
That is if they're mentally sound, and they've been told they are be more than one professional. And also if they're under so much pain, or disabled so much they can't do anything by themselves. I also think that the family of the person should have the last word.
It's kind of like when they used to behead people. Most people got an axe (A blunt one at that) but then the nobles could pay for a sword to be used, so it was quick and clean as apposed to requiring several swings of a blunt axe. That is slightly similar to euthanasia, so shorter, less painful death as apposed to a long and painful death.
In the end a lot of the time people can just find other ways to kill themselves, so if euthanasia was legal than they could die painlessly.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Smile Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 21st 2010, 11:27 PM

If they have a legitimate reason, and I mean legitimate as in experiencing serious physical pain, then I'd be okay with it. I don't know the process of Euthanasia, but I hope that it's a very hard to have a physician-assisted suicide. If it's something like aids and they're just depressed about it, I don't consider that a legitimate reason. So in the end, mental pain = Definitely not. Physical pain = Only with serious conditions (and I'm not talking about if you get your face burnt off or anything like that)...if it's not extremely painful, then I don't support it.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 12:12 AM

I just sent a letter to one of our state representatives about making assisted suicides legal in Massachusetts... so yeah. I am all for it. Not fair to make people suffer

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 04:45 AM

I believe that human life is a sacred gift from God to be cherished and respected because every human being is created in the image and likeness of God. Euthanasia violates God's commandment not to kill.
I do not support Euthanasia.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 06:41 AM

I'm mostly for it, but its alot trickier than it seems. Most of my thoughts are parallel with Elle's on the matter.

I'm mostly worried about regulation, and WHEN can euthanasia be done. You can easily draw the line wherever you want if it's not regulated well. I could easily see it going as far as "he's so old, you should just inject him and let him die," which is NOT what I would want.

There needs to be EXTREMELY strict parameters in place for it to work as it should.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post
I agree with most of this but one part I'm confused on. How can one truly know that they are "ready", and how can the person(s) doing the euthanization reliably know that the person is indeed "ready" and not rushing?

I'm not actually sure if we have palliative medicine in the U.S. That said, I'm not against it. Anything to lessen the pain and suffering of someone, even if it doesn't cure them. If there is palliative care available, good, then they don't have need for euthanasia, but if there's not?

I'm actually not sure how one can know if they are ready to die. My grandfather just knew, he knew when it was his time. Euthanasia would have to be regulated, and the person would have to go through counseling to make sure it's what they wanted. If it's not, and they aren't terminally ill, then it shouldn't be allowed. I'm not saying we should kill all the elderly, or sick. But if someone has brain cancer, and is given three weeks to live, and is in so much pain, and they are slowly dying, then they should be given the opportunity to end their suffering. I hope this made sense, it's late.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 08:33 AM

I support it. If the person has no quality of life, is in terrible pain and not long to live, then yes they should be allowed to die in a more dignified way.

In reference to Elle and "misdiagnosis", at that point in their life there's not really going to be any doubt.

We put our pets down when they are ill, and have no chance of getting better, when they are in terrible pain, why not give the same dignity to humans?
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by !!!YOU'RE$NUCKING$FUTZ!!! View Post

All that's really relevant is whether they would have a better idea of when "ready" is than anyone else, and certainly no one else is in a position to tell them what they think and want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico View Post
I believe that human life is a sacred gift from God to be cherished and respected because every human being is created in the image and likeness of God. Euthanasia violates God's commandment not to kill.
Nice to see you think your religious beliefs should be forced onto other people regardless of the suffering it causes. Should we stone adulterers while we're at it?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, so long as someone has the right to their own body, they have the right to do with it as they like, including euthanising themselves.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 10:38 AM

I am for human euthanaisa, I don't think people with severe terminal illness should have to draw out their suffering, but like some others, I think it would be very difficult to regulate.

Misdiagnosis at this stage does happen, and has happened in my family. My grandmother was told she had no more than 4 months to live, after she put up a fight, and asked for it to be looked in to, is recieving more treatment she now has estimated 6+ more months. Of course, the disease is still terminal, but the end is not quite so imminent. I worry that people in similar situations would be left to suffer, and end up choosing death, instead of recieving treatment that would increase the quality of their lives.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Gaia Offline
same same, but different.
Outside, huh?

Name: Lou

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 12:11 PM

I agree with euthanasia.
Those who are suffering and have no hope of a cure deserve the right to choose when to die. Why anyone would want someone to go through unnecessary pain is beyond me.
I know if any of the ones I love are suffering, dying and they asked for my help, I'd be buying them a ticket to Amsterdam.

"Life is pain, anybody that says different is selling something" ~ Fezzik's Mother, The Princess Bride. ♥

"To die, would be an awfully big adventure."~ Peter Pan

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumoured by many.
Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."

~ The Buddha

14-04-2010. R.R <3

(#22 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
I support it. If the person has no quality of life, is in terrible pain and not long to live, then yes they should be allowed to die in a more dignified way.

In reference to Elle and "misdiagnosis", at that point in their life there's not really going to be any doubt.

We put our pets down when they are ill, and have no chance of getting better, when they are in terrible pain, why not give the same dignity to humans?
i don't agree. i've personally met people who have been told they have no hope and then they have been put on trial drugs and are now doing a lot better, one is even in remission. you can't just say 'oh, theres no hope.. lets help them die.' i do agree in some circumstances there isn't any doubt they will die, but you can't say that for all terminal illnesses. that's why it would be so hard to regulate.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Last edited by losing touch.; March 22nd 2010 at 04:00 PM.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle. View Post

i don't agree. i've personally met people who have been told they have no hope and then they have been put on trial drugs and are now doing a lot better, one is even in remission. you can't just say 'oh, theres no hope.. let them die.' i do agree in some circumstances there isn't any doubt they will die, but you can't say that for all terminal illnesses. that's why it would be so hard to regulate.
I don't agree, but then I'm only speaking that Euthanasia should be done at the very end as a last resort. You know when nothing else CAN be done. I think at that point theres not really any mis-diagnosis...
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 02:47 PM

I think doctors should only worry about saving lives not ending them.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 03:26 PM

I'm for it. If you put yourself into their shoes, and you're in pain and living with no hope and no future, could you honestly say you would want to live? Yes, this should be a last resort when there really is nothing else that can be done. But it should still be an option. It's not fair to make people suffer.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 22nd 2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie View Post
So you'd rather see people suffer then?
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I think doctors should only worry about helping people not necessarily making them live as long as possible. (I'm not trying to pick on you Lizzie)

Do I need to say more?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Nice to see you think your religious beliefs should be forced onto other people regardless of the suffering it causes. Should we stone adulterers while we're at it?

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, so long as someone has the right to their own body, they have the right to do with it as they like, including euthanising themselves.
Who said I was forcing my beliefs on you?
I just stated why I don't agree with Euthanasia. I donít support it but hey if you wanna end your life go ahead I will not stop you.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Frosty Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:

Who said I was forcing my beliefs on you?
I just stated why I don't agree with Euthanasia. I donít support it but hey if you wanna end your life go ahead I will not stop you.
Typically in a political debate "I do not support X" typically means "I do not believe X should be permitted". If I have made this connection in error my apologies.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
There isnt actually a commandment of do not kill, as far as I know, in the 10 Commandment its do not muder. Murder and killing are not always hand in hand. Otherwise Leviticus wouldnt have death penalties

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
There isnt actually a commandment of do not kill, as far as I know, in the 10 Commandment its do not muder. Murder and killing are not always hand in hand. Otherwise Leviticus wouldnt have death penalties
"You shall not kill."
Exodus 20:13
Deuteronomy 5:17
That is how it is in my Bible.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 05:27 AM

Okay I actualy have another example where I think it SHOULD be allowed!

There is a woman in New Zealand who is dying of cancer and is in hospital. She doesn't want to live any more, so she is starving herself. She refuses to eat in the hope it will kill her. The hospital where she is staying cannot legally force feed her, she is allowed to do this to herself. So because she cannot be 'put down' she is trying to kill herself by starving herself. She is going to die anyway with terminal cancer, and because they can't put her to sleep, she is going to die of starvation...this is awful and inhumane.

I have the link to the article...if its not allowed please remove the link, however it is just to the TVNZ (TV New Zealand) website...no forum or anything. http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/starvi...debate-3431601 just to let you know i am NOT making this up!

Last edited by emma01; March 25th 2010 at 05:32 AM.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 05:56 AM

Quote:
This may sound awful but if people are dying in hospital as in NOTHING can be done to save them, shouldn't the doctors focus on the ones who will survive, and also there is always complaints of bed shortages, well a few of them would free up and doctors can focus more on 10 year old children who may not die! Also money could be spent on (for example) a surgery that costs thousands but can save lives!

What I am trying to say is as awful as it sounds, but why spend heaps of money keeping people alive with needles in them and tubes down their throats only knowing their going to die in a month anyway, while there are people down the hallway needing blood transfusions and organ donors which would keep them alive?

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
shouldn't the doctors focus on the ones who will survive, and also there is always complaints of bed shortages, well a few of them would free up and doctors can focus more on 10 year old children who may not die!
Where's your evidence on the bed shortages?

And why 10 year old children? I see your point, however I disagree. It doesn't matter the condition, a human being is a human being. If you're going to die anyways, they're gonna keep you alive for as long as possible, otherwise they'd cure you if they had the chance. But not everything is curable. I mean, by that logic, we might as well gather up all the people with aids and shoot them.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 25th 2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Where's your evidence on the bed shortages?

And why 10 year old children? I see your point, however I disagree. It doesn't matter the condition, a human being is a human being. If you're going to die anyways, they're gonna keep you alive for as long as possible, otherwise they'd cure you if they had the chance. But not everything is curable. I mean, by that logic, we might as well gather up all the people with aids and shoot them.
That doesn't follow from the logic at all; the cases in question are people who want to die, or rather who want to die now, and painlessly, rather than after a month or two of solid agony and hopelessness.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 26th 2010, 09:23 AM

I think we should euthanise people with severe hereditary problems, unless they consent to sterilization.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 26th 2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I think we should euthanise people with severe hereditary problems, unless they consent to sterilization.
Are you serious?

(#38 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 26th 2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I do not agree with this at all. This is not the sort of euthanasia I agree with. [See my other post for the type of euthanasia I do agree with.]

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#39 (permalink)) Old
kathryn Offline
crazy cat lady.
Not a n00b

Name: Kathryn

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 27th 2010, 04:56 AM

I quite agree with it. My bias is I do vet tech work... I'm used to being around animals being euthanized. I think it is a much kinder thing to do. Even with people! I don't like that people think we should not be able to decide what to do with our lives. I've had more than one terminally ill family member.. cancer etc... I'm sorry but I would surely have wanted them to be able to be knocked out with some sedatives and given some pentobarbital to die with some dignity.. vs. how I had to sit there and watch them slowly waste away.

Animals really seem to understand in a sense. Even the ones that are not sick and sadly have to be euthanized for other reasons.. They just are like.. okay.. this is it. Not to say they know WHY it's being done, but really.. just from the minimal experience I've had being just in the room or holding an animal that is being put to sleep.. I think people should be able to choose that kind death for themselves if they are critically or terminally ill.

~kathryn

four million+ will be killed in shelters this year.
don't shop. adopt.

spay & neuter saves lives.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Human Euthanasia...what do you think? - March 27th 2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Oh really?? Okay I do NOT agree with this reason for doing it to people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
I think people should be able to choose that kind death for themselves if they are critically or terminally ill.
This is the form of euthanasia i DO agree with!!!

Closed Thread