TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 01:46 PM

Well I heard about this from my nan the other day and thinks it's ridiculous. A factory in England will only employ Polish people. Why? Because all the health and safety training is in Polish.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-labour.html

Thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kristen♡ Offline
A puzzle in the making
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kristen

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 03:14 PM

That's a little inconvenient for everyone, including the factory itself, no?

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons.
And maybe we’ll never know most of them.
But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from,
we can still choose where we go from there.
We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.

PM|VM|EMAIL
Colyn Riley ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen. View Post
That's a little inconvenient for everyone, including the factory itself, no?
na theres plenty of polish people to go round here.. i'm sure they'll fill the jobs easily.

i'm not surprised. they can pay them less and they're less likely to complain. doesn't shock me actually.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kokoro Offline
AKB48<3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mi Sun

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 05:10 PM

Well you wouldn't neccessarily have to be Polish right? You'd just have to speak the language.. I don't think it matters, there's loads of Poles in the UK

"Aww How Sweet!"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 05:37 PM

Yeah there is, but the point is that isn't this discrimination against British people? I mean why couldn't they do the training in English? it'd make much more sense since we're in ENGLAND.

But the thing is anything that discriminates against us doesn't matter but if a company decided not to employ Polish people then it'd be discrimination and courts would get involved.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
Yeah there is, but the point is that isn't this discrimination against British people? I mean why couldn't they do the training in English? it'd make much more sense since we're in ENGLAND.

But the thing is anything that discriminates against us doesn't matter but if a company decided not to employ Polish people then it'd be discrimination and courts would get involved.
hmm, i'm not sure you could say it's discrimination though. if the job requirement is you need to speak polish then you need to speak polish. there are lots of jobs where a requirement is that you speak english as well. As Kokoro said, you don't actually have to be polish, just speak the language so they're probably getting round the law that way.

it would piss me off, but i don't want to work in an ASDA meat factory so i don't care really. Plus they probably pay them terribly.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Cara View Post
Not true. Discrimination on the grounds of race, nationality or ethnicity is unlawful regardless of whether it is in favour of English nationals or Polish nationals. The Race Relations Act makes that quite clear, and the article quoted makes the same point (one of the few times I will agree with something in the Daily Mail, for the record...). If Forza AW are found to have breached the Act, then they should be prosecuted under it.

In any event, it was pretty stupid of the agency to put the advert out on those terms and if anything it should be investigated as well.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 09:49 PM

This isn't discrimination against race, ethnicity or anything like that. It simply wants people who speak Polish, which could include British people and anyone else of any other culture, race, ethnicity or nationality, given that they speak Polish. I'm not sure what there is to investigate because as long as one can speak Polish, then that's all the ad appears to want.

The concern I see is if you say "why not train in English", then it's fair to say "why not train in [other language]". Many jobs require speaking English, so one could argue that is discrimination also. Besides, if one comes to a country they're foreign to, such as England and cannot speak the language very well (or at all), it's incredibly hard to get a job anywhere, so by speaking in Polish it makes it much easier. Besides, if British people can speak Polish, then they'd be considered for hiring as well.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 10:03 PM

Perhaps a high number of applicants tended to be Polish (meat factories are NOT nice places to work). If almost all the applicants have a tendancy to be Polish speaking, then it makes sense that to ensure the higher level of safety, they do the training in a language understood.

Though as pointed out by the article, it's far more likely in attempts to get migrant workers, for means of exploitation.

Quote:

The company is probably ran by British people. And chances are, they want to exploit their workers. It's much harder to exploit the British, so I would assume the company is in the wrong. Not really for 'discrimination' to the English, but discriination, abuse and misuse of migrants. You are acting like the Poles are trying to keep some nice jobs away from the British people... yeah...

From the article you cited:

Quote:
But the Equality and Human Rights Commission separately found that in many firms, places are being handed to migrant workers because they are easier to exploit and often receive terrible pay and work conditions.

They are also favoured over British applicants because they are considered to be harder working and less likely to complain.

Get made at the rich British company owners, not the Poles.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Re: You Can Work Here But Only If You're Polish - March 21st 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Perhaps a high number of applicants tended to be Polish (meat factories are NOT nice places to work). If almost all the applicants have a tendancy to be Polish speaking, then it makes sense that to ensure the higher level of safety, they do the training in a language understood.

Though as pointed out by the article, it's far more likely in attempts to get migrant workers, for means of exploitation.

The company is probably ran by British people. And chances are, they want to exploit their workers. It's much harder to exploit the British, so I would assume the company is in the wrong. Not really for 'discrimination' to the English, but discriination, abuse and misuse of migrants. You are acting like the Poles are trying to keep some nice jobs away from the British people... yeah...

From the article you cited:

Get made at the rich British company owners, not the Poles.
Sorry if it seemed that way but I'm not angry at the Poles, I'm angry at the factory owners for doing this.

Closed Thread