TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 2.00 average.
  (#81 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22 Points: 24,983, Level: 22

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myss View Post
Because I don't think it's appropriate.
What is so inappropriate about nourishing a hungry baby?

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#82 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Because I don't think it's appropriate.
That's not exactly a good reason.

This is a debating forum. If you are unable to handle people debating your points, or highlighting the fact that you don't really have the knowledge to back up what you are saying, and therefore result to calling them "rude", I would yes advise you to stay out of "ridiculous" threads such as these.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.
5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#83 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21 Points: 22,249, Level: 21

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:34 PM

I already said I was done, yet I kept getting asked questions. My opinion is not going to change, so I don't see what the point in me continuing in the discussion is.

And with me having a problem with people calling me ignorant, I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day, so I'm oversensitive right now. Nothing that can be done about it, I'm afraid.
  (#84 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Rach

Points: 10,748, Level: 15 Points: 10,748, Level: 15 Points: 10,748, Level: 15

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
but the OP, as I understand it is even opposed to the towel/blanket idea.
I am yes.
Personally I don't think a towel/ blanket is necessary or practical, and I for one will definitely not use this method. I do agree with being courteous however.
There are many things available that make breast feeding discreet, tops/ bra's ect... and I will use these (The amount of money I've spent on breast feeding tops/ bras I would kick myself if I didnt)

I don't think a mother should be made to go out of her way to hide the fact she is breast feeding, especially if she's being discreet, I've been around many breast feeding women and theres not much to see anyway. Just a baby attached to mums chest.
If a girl can walk around in a low cut top with a huge amount of breast showing, whats wrong with a mother showing a small amount (of huge breast) with a baby hiding the 'unsocial' bits.

Quote:
They don't go out and yell "I'm breastfeeding! Who wants to see?"

That made me chuckle...

Ticklish Tattoo!

Last edited by topov; April 6th 2010 at 11:40 PM.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#85 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
I already said I was done, yet I kept getting asked questions. My opinion is not going to change, so I don't see what the point in me continuing in the discussion is.

And with me having a problem with people calling me ignorant, I'm sorry. I'm having a bad day, so I'm oversensitive right now. Nothing that can be done about it, I'm afraid.
It would be nice for us to see your reasoning behind it.

SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#86 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Points: 30,075, Level: 25 Points: 30,075, Level: 25 Points: 30,075, Level: 25

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:

We are just asking you about what you are saying because it doesn't seem right since you can't back it up. Thats the whole point of the thread, to debate things. All I want to know is why you consider it inappropriate to breastfeed in public?

PM // VM
  (#87 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
It's DIRTY!!! That's the problem!!! You wouldn't eat your meal in there because it's dirty!!!! It's unsanitary.
Absolutely not. I would not eat my food in the bathroom because I'm not a desperate human being who is dieing of starvation. As I've said, I can live 5 minutes without eating my food to assist to a hungry baby. Keep in mind that bathrooms aren't the only places that are unsanitary. Restaurants themselves can be unsanitary, too. So if you want to bring the unsanitary business into the argument, then you might as well not be in a restaurant that is unsanitary. Or in a smoking environment, or anything that puts your child's health in jeopardy. If you want clean environments, then you definitely don't want to be in public.

Quote:
People against it must have never been in public with a screaming baby when it was hungry.

I love seeing th ignorance.
Name-calling...that's effective.

Well, as I've said, milk bottle. Milk bottle, milk bottle, milk bottle. Milk bottle. I'm 20 years old, I've seen plenty of babies cry in public. The name-calling is irrelevant to this debate, so I will completely disregard that false statement. Just because your baby is crying doesn't mean you need to breast feed. I've seen NUMEROUS of times babies crying that resulted in parents getting the handy dandy milk bottle out of the bag. Numerous...and it's worked every single time! Imagine that!

Quote:
Babies have seriously under-developed immune systems and I would not consider it advisable to breastfeed in a public toilet. Little 'uns are way more suseptable to illnesses than you or I, you're just putting your baby at risk because people like you can't handle seeing a very small amount of breast. No thanks, I'd rather make sure my baby is safe and risk offending you.
Nice! Way to take things personally and get offensive just because I disagree with something that you agree with. Let's just change this from debate forum to FLAME WARS! YEAAAH!

Yeah, but no...seriously, I never said that bathrooms were the most sanitary places to breast feed your child. I'm saying it's an option. And like I said, it's not just bathrooms that are unsanitary. Just because it's not a bathroom doesn't mean that your child is completely safe. Just because I disagree with public breast feeding doesn't mean it would offend me. Don't let your anger get the best of you. Remember that this is a debate forum, not a flame war forum.
  (#88 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:40 PM

The thing with the bottle argument is that many parents are against formula and bottles. It can be confusing to the baby, and the baby could then decide it likes formula or bottle nipples over the breast.

A bathroom is way dirtier than a resturant.

SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#89 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Name-calling...that's effective.

Well, as I've said, milk bottle. Milk bottle, milk bottle, milk bottle. Milk bottle. I'm 20 years old, I've seen plenty of babies cry in public. The name-calling is irrelevant to this debate, so I will completely disregard that false statement. Just because your baby is crying doesn't mean you need to breast feed. I've seen NUMEROUS of times babies crying that resulted in parents getting the handy dandy milk bottle out of the bag. Numerous...and it's worked every single time! Imagine that!
You clearly haven't read previous posts where it has been stated that it isn't advised for women to switch between breastfeeding and bottle milk. Babies might not even usethe bottleif they are used to breastfeeding. Women should be able to choose to breastfeed if that is what they want.

PM // VM
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#90 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Nice! Way to take things personally and get offensive just because I disagree with something that you agree with. Let's just change this from debate forum to FLAME WARS! YEAAAH!

Yeah, but no...seriously, I never said that bathrooms were the most sanitary places to breast feed your child. I'm saying it's an option. And like I said, it's not just bathrooms that are unsanitary. Just because it's not a bathroom doesn't mean that your child is completely safe. Just because I disagree with public breast feeding doesn't mean it would offend me. Don't let your anger get the best of you. Remember that this is a debate forum, not a flame war forum.
You seem to have presumed yourself to be able to read tone of voice over the internet, however you are entirely false. Why exactly you think I am angry boggles me. One thread on the internet (hence, I do not take things personally) really is not significant enough in my life to evoke much emotion at all . "You" was directed generally at people who would be offended, not specifically YOU, BRANDON.

Bathrooms carry far more germs and are far more unsantiary than most areas. Surely simple logic allows you to dermine that much?

It's fine to have one.
  (#91 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
The thing with the bottle argument is that many parents are against formula and bottles. It can be confusing to the baby, and the baby could then decide it likes formula or bottle nipples over the breast

Was going to say exactly this...
I am one of many people, who will NOT be using formula unless my breasts fail to produce milk.

Quote:

^ despite the fact it's been pointed out that its unsuitable for a baby to be switched from bottle to breast at the mothers convenience, and that some (like myself) are apposed to formula, there's also the fact that alot of mothers find that breast feeding a baby increasing bonding (theres also evidence of psychological and physical benefits) and some bottle feeding mothers, regret the decision to feed with a bottle.

Ticklish Tattoo!

Last edited by topov; April 7th 2010 at 12:06 AM.
  (#92 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I still stand by my baby Feeding unit Idea though
Mothercare and some large stores do have breast feeding facilities in place - just thought I'd point it out.
And obviously if a breast feeding area was provided it would be used

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#93 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Points: 20,178, Level: 20 Points: 20,178, Level: 20 Points: 20,178, Level: 20

Re: breast feeding in public - April 6th 2010, 11:49 PM

Can we please stay on topic... ?

Myuss still hasent even awnserd the question
  (#94 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:03 AM

Because I said I'm done. I'm not answering anymore questions, because I don't feel its going anywhere. If I choose to breastfeed my baby, I will also bottle the breastmilk. If the baby prefers the bottle, I can continue to use a breast pump. If this becomes painful or if there is any other issue, I will feed my child formula.
  (#95 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:08 AM

This thread is pretty good. I like the arguments, even when people have nothing else better to say that I'm ignorant . I'd love to debate more, but after this post...I'm done for tonight because I have to do my homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefaithlove View Post
The thing with the bottle argument is that many parents are against formula and bottles. It can be confusing to the baby, and the baby could then decide it likes formula or bottle nipples over the breast.

A bathroom is way dirtier than a resturant.
If you have evidence to support that, then that's fine. I can understand. I'm sure you want to bite my head off, but I'm not against breast feeding. If you breast feed in public and no one sees...then there's no harm and no fowl to that. At the same time, if I masturbated in public and no one saw...then that's also no harm and no fowl. As long as people don't know that you're breastfeeding, then it wouldn't be an issue. Over where I live, it'd be awkward because you rarely...and do I mean RARELY as in practically NEVER or even NEVER, see a woman breastfeeding in public. It all depends on the location and who you're around. If breast feeding is acceptable in New York and I go to New York and find women breast feeding...I'm not gonna be like "God hates you", I'm gonna look for a couple seconds and then readjust to my environment. Simple as that. And my point about sanitation is that if you're concerned about sanitation, you shouldn't even be in public. Bathrooms are potentially less sanitary than other places, but that doesn't mean bathrooms aren't options. If you're gonna breast feed in public, might as well change the diaper in public too.

Quote:
You seem to have presumed yourself to be able to read tone of voice over the internet, however you are entirely false. Why exactly you think I am angry boggles me. "You" was directed generally at people who would be offended, not specifically YOU, BRANDON.

It's not about what you say...it's about how you say it. You could of worded a lot more differently. Your word choice was a lot more negative than positive, perhaps you've learned that in English class or not, but if you haven't...how you say something can dramatically impact your message. For instance what you also said:

Quote:
Bathrooms carry far more germs and are far more unsantiary than most areas. Surely simple logic allows you to dermine that much?
Do you not find that kind of negative? You basically just said "surely you're smart enough to know that bathrooms are more unsanitary than restaurants". Of course I know that, but that doesn't completely dismiss restaurants either. If you're going to still tell me that your message WASN'T negative, then I'll know for sure that you've got a bit of an attitude. Which is cool cause sometimes debates get heated because you feel strongly about something. But don't let your strong disagreement get the best of you.

(#96 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Because I said I'm done. I'm not answering anymore questions, because I don't feel its going anywhere. If I choose to breastfeed my baby, I will also bottle the breastmilk. If the baby prefers the bottle, I can continue to use a breast pump. If this becomes painful or if there is any other issue, I will feed my child formula.
All that is really unecessary though, there is no need. Why should women have to go through all of that hassle when they could quite easily breastfeed?

PM // VM
  (#97 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Because I said I'm done. I'm not answering anymore questions, because I don't feel its going anywhere.

It's a debate it's not meant to go anywhere, we just debate

Quote:
If I choose to breastfeed my baby, I will also bottle the breastmilk. If the baby prefers the bottle, I can continue to use a breast pump. If this becomes painful or if there is any other issue, I will feed my child formula.
back on topic.
The problem is with women like myself who are not willing to use formula unless absolutely necessary. I don't think its fair that I should have to risk your scenario because others find feeding 'disgusting'

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#98 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
This thread is pretty good. I like the arguments, even when people have nothing else better to say that I'm ignorant . I'd love to debate more, but after this post...I'm done for tonight because I have to do my homework

If you have evidence to support that, then that's fine. I can understand. I'm sure you want to bite my head off, but I'm not against breast feeding. If you breast feed in public and no one sees...then there's no harm and no fowl to that. At the same time, if I masturbated in public and no one saw...then that's also no harm and no fowl. As long as people don't know that you're breastfeeding, then it wouldn't be an issue. Over where I live, it'd be awkward because you rarely...and do I mean RARELY as in practically NEVER or even NEVER, see a woman breastfeeding in public. It all depends on the location and who you're around. If breast feeding is acceptable in New York and I go to New York and find women breast feeding...I'm not gonna be like "God hates you", I'm gonna look for a couple seconds and then readjust to my environment. Simple as that. And my point about sanitation is that if you're concerned about sanitation, you shouldn't even be in public. Bathrooms are potentially less sanitary than other places, but that doesn't mean bathrooms aren't options. If you're gonna breast feed in public, might as well change the diaper in public too.

Changing a diaper and masturbating in public are different. A baby needs nourishment and breastmilk is perfectly sanitary to other people, whereas diapers and masturbation are not.

SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#99 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:14 AM

Would you like me to say: If that's what you want to do, go for it?
  (#100 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Would you like me to say: If that's what you want to do, go for it?
I think you're missing the whole point of a debate here. All I was saying was why should women have to go through all the hassle you described when they could breastfeed. Why shouldn't they breastfeed? What is so inapropriate about it?

PM // VM
  (#101 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:17 AM

It can make people feel really awkward, so I don't completely agree with it. But if someone is breast feeding in public, it's not like I'm going to say anything to/about them.
  (#102 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
If you're gonna breast feed in public, might as well change the diaper in public too.
If necessary I will do.
However a discreetly feeding baby and smelly nappy are two different things. I can totally understand someone being disgusted by me changing a nappy mid meal at a restaurant.
but I cant understand the disgust at me breast feeding.
breast milk doesn't smell bad or have any of the illness inducing bacteria poop does... there completely different things.

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#103 (permalink)) Old
L'espoir Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
It can make people feel really awkward, so I don't completely agree with it. But if someone is breast feeding in public, it's not like I'm going to say anything to/about them.
I agree with you that it can make people feel awkward but there is no need to feel that way since it's not like you can see the whole breast since the babys head is in the way. Also, just because people feel awkward, does that mean that women shouldn't breastfeed in public. Lots of things make people feel awkward but that doesn't mean they shouldn't happen. I mean, some people feel really awkward when they see gay couples together but that doesn't mean gay couples should only be together in private.

PM // VM
  (#104 (permalink)) Old
ThrashAttack Offline
Banned
I've been here a while

Name: Will

Points: 20,178, Level: 20 Points: 20,178, Level: 20 Points: 20,178, Level: 20

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:26 AM

Seeing all of the responses in this Thread i really cant wait to have a kid (sarcasm)

Even though me and my Gf would be splitting the care responsiblities
  (#105 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:30 AM

You say you want to debate properly Brandon, but all you seem capable of doing is resulting to patronising and insulting. What's the crack?

[Edit: Line removed]

It's fine to have one.

Last edited by Pandamonium; April 19th 2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Rude
  (#106 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Points: 14,786, Level: 17 Points: 14,786, Level: 17 Points: 14,786, Level: 17

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:47 AM

Sorry but if my child was wanting to be fed and i was breast feeding the child, i'd just breast feed it. You have a problem with it don't look or say it to my face.

Because tbh breast feeding is beautiful bonds the mother and child together and gives the child the nurtaints it needs.

As for the going to the toilet and doing, pfft some toilets i wouldnt even change a nappy in never mind feed a child.

I've seen lots of women breast feeding.

I just smile at them, i thinks it's a amazing thing.

I'm defoo breast feeding if/when i have a child. It's natural so why shouldnt you.
Some people just need to open there eyes and grow up.

It's life, get over it.

(#107 (permalink)) Old
topov Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
i just smile at them, i thinks it's a amazing thing.
I have to agree... I think breastfeeding is beautiful and cant wait to do it.

I'm curious how many of the people against breastfeeding would complain or confront a mother breastfeeding in public?

Ticklish Tattoo!

(#108 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:01 AM

Quote:
You say you want to debate properly Brandon, but all you seem capable of doing is resulting to patronising and insulting. What's the crack?

Oh, and I was going to help you with your trig equations as I saw them earlier. But perhaps I'll just be too busy having attitude.
That post is irrelevant to the discussion, however I will go ahead and respond.

I wasn't obligating you to answer my thread. It would've been nice, considering the fact that I created that thread yesterday (the day before my test). Now that my test is over and done with, I no longer need any help. Regardless, it would've been nice if you attempted to answer my questions even IF it didn't really matter. I STILL would greatly appreciate it if you did answer my question. I don't take anything personally over the internet because I can completely understand you're position and why you would breast feed in public. I'm a guy...what do I know...right? Well, I apologize if I offended...which...wasn't my intention but if you feel offended by what I have said then I apologize.

Now, to summarize my beliefs about breast feeding in public is that if society says it's acceptable, then it's acceptable. Because I live in Georgia, I never see women breast feeding in public...and therefore, it would be awkward. Would I be offended? Absolutely not. I'd probably be like anyone else and look away. But I said all of the things I said because I wanted to emphasize that there's always a good time and a bad time to breast feed. It depends on the restaurant, and it depends on the people around you.
  (#109 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:03 AM

I'd rather get my breasts out than have my child scream.

If anyone confronted me if/when i was doing it, i'd be like okay so you don't want me to contuine because you find it disgusting, okay , so you want my child to scream and scream do you?

(#110 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyIndia View Post
Sorry but if my child was wanting to be fed and i was breast feeding the child, i'd just breast feed it. You have a problem with it don't look or say it to my face.

Because tbh breast feeding is beautiful bonds the mother and child together and gives the child the nurtaints it needs.

As for the going to the toilet and doing, pfft some toilets i wouldnt even change a nappy in never mind feed a child.

I've seen lots of women breast feeding.

I just smile at them, i thinks it's a amazing thing.

I'm defoo breast feeding if/when i have a child. It's natural so why shouldnt you.
Some people just need to open there eyes and grow up.

It's life, get over it.
I agree. When I was at the airport I was talking to a woman with a 14 month old. Her son had never had a bottle. Later I saw her breastfeeding him right there in the airport. It's beautiful and amazing.

SH Free since 10.20.08
  (#111 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:18 AM

It really is I hope I too have the privaledge to breast feed a child

(#112 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
You'd whip it out in front of your grandmother then?
Maybe for my grandmother? It's hilarious getting reactions out of her.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#113 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28 Points: 39,834, Level: 28

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 01:48 AM

I don't get it... I don't find it beautiful. I find a sunset beautiful, not breastfeeding beautiful. Birth isn't beautiful... Not all babies are beautiful... I don't have many motherly feelings I guess? I actually find things like that disgusting =/

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#114 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16 Points: 13,275, Level: 16

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 02:40 AM

I am not offended by it at all. I love babies and breast feeding is natural.
  (#115 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25 Points: 30,209, Level: 25

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
What you're doing is hilarious. You keep saying you're done with this thread yet you keep returning. If you're done, then you're done, hence leave the thread but if you keep returning, then clearly you're not done. It makes no sense to say "I'm done" despite returning and continuing to post.

You keep getting asked questions because, as explained above, I'll assume many people here who are asking you don't believe when you say you're done. If you notice, the questions are the same, simply explain your reasoning. It's a debate, you give your view and you explain via argument. If you cant or don't want to do that, then don't come to threads where it's explicitly stated it's a debate because it leads to issues like the current one: people are confused and/or curious about your view and want clarification but you refuse to give it, you just re-state your view but don't give the explanation, which is what is needed.

I'm not going to quote all your responses, so I'll just answer them all at once. Making people feel awkward doesn't mean it's inappropriate or shouldn't be done. Suppose I go to a funeral with a baby and the baby is whining and crying endlessly. That's awkward for me but like any reasonable person, I'd try to get the baby to be quiet. Supposing I were a female, if I didn't want to bottlefeed (i.e. formula or breast-pump), then I'd whip'em out and have the baby go because I should get the baby quiet. However, something being awkward doesn't mean it's inappropriate, so your explanation doesn't support your conclusion.
  (#116 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23 Points: 25,720, Level: 23

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 04:25 AM

Okay, just throwing this out there, but could we stay on topic and act civil please? This nonsense, the fighting, needs to stop now. You can disagree all you want, but debate the subject, not the person. If you don't want to debate, then just stop posting. Thank you.

And, my opinion on breast feeding, well my sister breast feeds and bottle feeds her baby, so she uses bottles in public. But, she also has a nursing shawl, so that she can nurse if others are around, and I think it's okay to nurse in public in some situations.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

(#117 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17 Points: 15,053, Level: 17

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topov View Post
as told not to breast feed at a resturant, where she was having a meal with her family... she didnt listen and carried on! I say good on her, but can you imagine how horrible it must of felt for her to be told she was disgusting and offending people by feeding her baby!
Wow, so no respect for the other people trying to eat? That would bother me. I don't really care much if it's outside randomly, but I don't want someone breastfeeding near me in a restaurant. I think it's very rude to just assume that since you don't find it gross, everyone else shouldn't either, particularly when eating.

Quote:

If you don't want to see it, don't look! It's not like you can see anything unless you stare or go up close.
Don't they make a sucking sound? That bothers me. I also don't like eating watermelon around other people because the sound bothers me. Don't say "don't listen" because you can't just decide to stop hearing for a certain amount of time.

Quote:

A baby needs nourishment and breastmilk is perfectly sanitary to other people
In your opinion. I find it gross and messy. Slobbery milk? Even the thought grosses me out. Now I'm not going to drink milk for the rest of the evening...

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Last edited by Toast; April 7th 2010 at 04:58 AM.
  (#118 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19 Points: 17,794, Level: 19

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 08:25 AM

I really am not really bothered. Although I have seen some people do it, fully exposed, and this I disagree with. I think it would be better for breast feeding to be done at home, but I guess when you gotta do it, you gotta do it!
But still, it's weird that woman can do that, but if a man exposes his penis he gets charged with indecent behaviour!?
  (#119 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27 Points: 36,386, Level: 27

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 08:32 AM

I don't mind women breastfeeding in public, but I don't like it when they just do it really openly. How hard is it, just to cover up a tiny bit or move to a place that's not quite so public? Baring all, in the middle of a busy restaurant with lots of people, just seems a bit much in my opinion. I would be uncomftable breastfeeding in public aswell.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
You’re the diamonds, you’re the pearls
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
It’s your future, it’s your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Let’s make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/
  (#120 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: breast feeding in public - April 7th 2010, 10:32 AM

I don't mind it. Sure I wouldn't want to look at it while I'm eating but there's nothing stopping me turning away. The baby's hungry and I don't see why it can't get fed when it wants.

Although I wouldn't really be comfortable with breast feeding anywhere. So I'll be using that pump thing to put it into a bottle if I ever have kids.
Closed Thread