TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 25th 2010, 12:16 PM

I've heard it plenty of times, people telling other people to not care about what other people think, but should we actually do this? Should we disregard what everybody thinks?

Fair enough if you ignore what a small group of people think, but then what if there is a mass of people (ones that aren't the same), surely we should at least acknowledge what they think? I mean, what if pretty much the whole of society goes against what you think, surely they generally know better then a single person?

And I don't mean in the manner of scientific theories and similar things, I mean more of the terms of things like piercings, tattoo's etc. etc., fair enough if they make someone happy, but it does affect employability, it can look awful, it can make you seem like an idiot. It's the same with certain personalities, if you're someone whom likes to run around and jump about making lots of noise and people tell you that you are annoying, should you ignore them? Or should you calm down?

I hope this makes sense x.x if not then damn =p But still, what do you think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 25th 2010, 12:24 PM

I was thinking this. But more in the way of like... everyone things you're bad because you punched someone, but hey, you shouldn't care about what they think and you should punch anyone you want to if it makes you feel happy.

I think people need to stop worrying about what other people think of them and be confident. With the piercings idea, well, its common sense and frankly, shows awful priorities if someone would prefer to keep their piercings instead of get a job. And I say that as someone who loves her piercings.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 25th 2010, 01:42 PM

I think it's a pretty vague comment as Hannah has said.

I mean, it's not like I could or should be all 'Hey guys, I'm a child molester and I don't care what you think!' or cheat on my partner and not consider their feelings.

Generally though as you mentioned piercings and tattoos and things like that, it is a phrase usually used in relation to non conformity.

I think that if you want to say, wear latex 24/7, die your hair green, tattoo your face, listen to Justin Bieber loudly, recite poetry everywhere you go etc etc then go for it. Good for you. You are entitled to do whatever you want and screw everyone else.

HOWEVER, you need to be aware that just because you don't care what people think doesn't mean people stop thinking them. You may not care what a potential employer thinks of that awesome shark tattoo on your forehead, but be prepared to not get the job.

The truth is, is that sometimes people have a point. If they are judging you because they think you are 'weird', then that is unfair. Sometimes though it isn't just that. Do I care if someone wants to get around in nothing but a mankini? No. Would I hire that person as a babysitter? Probably not.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
phoenixsrmc Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Lily

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 25th 2010, 01:56 PM

"Don't care and be aware."

I think that it's great that someone wants to express himself/herself, but there are certain cultural, traditional, and societal norms that are placed to show respect and courtesy enough to compromise with other people's beliefs/traditions. I believe people should be aware of that.

So I should know that when I go to a different country, personal space isn't the same as personal space in America. I respect that I shouldn't wear excessive piercings when I get invited to see a respected elder. When my job has a dress code, I should follow it. If I don't like the dress code and I seriously cannot work there because my hair is dyed a radical color, I'll work elsewhere.

Like others said, common sense.

You can lose yourself. Everything. All boundaries. All time.

And just when the sweet confusion is so intense you think you're gonna die... you kind of do.

Leaving you alone in your separate body, but the one you love is still there.

That's a miracle.

You can go to heaven and come back alive. You can go back anytime you want with the one you love.

.Lily.
former HelpLink Mentor.
email me anytime <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 02:35 AM

Stay true to yourself, but be smart and understand the consequences too. If a lot of people are telling you that you're doing something wrong, you should definitely analyze if there is any truth in what they're saying. If you still feel good about what you're doing after thinking about it, then it doesn't matter how many people say it's wrong.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 03:04 AM

Well I for one have certainly stop caring about what people think when it comes to my personality. I guess I give off a horrible first impression, only to people in my own age group, little kids adore and adults like me a lot. Apparently I come off snobish,or stuck up, or bitchy. Considering I've been trying to change my personality to fix that for a long time and I still get the same reactions, I say who gives a damn.

So I definitely think that when it comes to things like self expression people really shouldn't care much about what other people think.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 05:05 AM

If a person is disturbing the peace then it's not okay but if they are keeping to themselves then it's fine (duh). Then of course there are borderline issues like keeping to yourself and being a nudist where people can see you, I'm undecided about the gray areas. I suppose that's why we have decency laws.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#8 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 08:06 AM

I think its good not to care what people think...but to an extent. For personal things like tatoos and peircings...we shouldnt care what other people think. But when it involves other people I think as decent human beings we are expected to care what other people think. For example if your friend told you a secret and begged you to say nothing, then a decent person would care that their friend confided in them and wanted it kept quiet. Or if you were running around screaming and people told you to be quiet, then you should care.
Basically I think if it involves other people you should care what they think, not saying we always need to act on it, but still show some respect! If it only involves you..for example tatoo's or fashion sense, then no we shouldnt care

(#9 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 10:55 AM

I do think it is important to be aware if the image (whatever that may be) you are projecting and the effects this may have on your life.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 12:45 PM

There's always a line and it's dependent on the individual. It is stupid if someone gets their skin tattooed to look like a tiger on a face and dye his or her hair pink and then they wonder why they didn't get into medical school. However, if they want to go into a job that accepts that image, then they shouldn't care.

No one should care what other people think, but he or she should be aware of the consequences.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
No one should care what other people think, but he or she should be aware of the consequences.
Agreed.
I don't believe we should "care" what other people think, in terms of appearance or style, because that's our choice. But if an image is particularly offensive or upsetting to others, the owner of that image should take that into consideration. I don't really mean piercings in this instance, but things like rude tattoos or T-shirt slogans, or images that might be ED or SH triggering.
We're all entitled to our own opinions, but we should convey them sensitively with regard for other people.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 10:19 PM

Follow your own instincts and intuition and don't give a fuck about what anyone else thinks of you. If they are annoyed/insulted by you then all it means is they don't want to spend time with you and that's fine. Be who you are, as long as you don't harm another human being in the process.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Ryan1 Offline
A Man Of My Word
I've been here a while

Name: Ryan

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 26th 2010, 11:47 PM

Keep an eye on what others think and make up your own mind on whether you agree or disagree. When your talking about a mess of people all believing in the same thing that could be because of several different reasons the biggest in my opinion would be followers, there are so many follows in this generation everyone follows the media in whats cool and not cool.

If you find that you pay so much attention to what others think that your changing your characteristics and style to fit the gear that everyone else is in. Then your are a follower and just added to messes. I believe its right to respect others in their styles and choices however I will not follow them if it means it'll take away from my personal image and what I want to be.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 28th 2010, 04:26 PM

As others have quite rightly said, I think the key difference is between caring about what other people think and being aware of what other people think and the reasons for it. There's nothing wrong with being aware of what people think and their rationale for doing so (including the effect it may have on how we come across and the image we create), but there is something wrong in basing your self-image solely on the views of others or taking every comment or criticism to heart. You need to be your own person at the end of the day, but within that you need to be aware of what your actions mean in practice. As such, it's not so much a question of not caring as being more self-aware.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 29th 2010, 05:45 AM

People should be aware of what others think because it will affect them in some way but they don't need to care so much. If you get a dozen piercings on your face, then I think it's fine not to care if others think it makes you ugly or a freakshow. However, one should still be aware of what people think to avoid being a complete ignorant person. When people begin caring about what others think of them, they may do what others believe is appropriate and not what they want. Or, people will get so emotional over what others think, they get derailed from doing whatever it is. People should have thick skin, a strong spine and a solid head on their shoulders. It's something that isn't always seen in people as many don't have thick skin and a spine but may have a head on their shoulders or they may have neither. You need all three of them.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Should we Really Not Care About What Other People Think? - August 30th 2010, 12:01 AM

What people think about us matters because it alters our lives and possibly the lives around us. If you're 30 and have consensual sex with a 16 year old girl, people will probably think badly of you. That, in turn, will affect your job prospects, your life, your friends/family, and possibly the town where you live. So yes, you should care what people think about most things, but not all. Eg. If you want to wear a shirt that has a care-bear on it, go ahead, be yourself.

Closed Thread