TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
KiwiGal Offline
Perfect just as you are
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Beka

Smile Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 08:41 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of substance use, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Bringe drinking! a huge issue here in Newzealand. We have a major drinking culture here, and the govt is getting tough and tightning up the rules. i actually agree with this to a point.
http://jennylikestorun.com/2010/05/1...article-by-me/
here is an article about a boy who died earlier in newzealand from alcohol poisioning, there has been more then one case this year in Nz of young people dying from alcohol poisioning, (for the size on NZ this is a major thing). and the idoit! drink drivers killing tonnes of people each year on our roads!

so do you guys agree on the drinking age going up to 20/21?
the drinking and driving have zero alcohol in ur blood?
whats your veiws on the world drinking culture?

KEEP YOUR CHIN UP!
NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY
YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!
<3<3<3<3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 01:59 PM

I find that if people want to drink, they are going to be able to drink. The drinking age is 19 here and when I went to university I think that just as many people, if more, drank before they were legal. I don't think a drinking age of 16 or 17 would be acceptable, but I think that 18 or 19 is. When people are legal there is less sneaking around about alcohol. Parents are more likely to know what their child is doing. If a person in a group of people drinking got sick and these people were legal age, I think they would be more likely to call for help rather than worrying if they would get in trouble for underage drinking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 02:00 PM

No, I don't think so. One of the big things here in America is underaged drinkers. The reason they do it, for the most part, is not only because they want to get drunk (for various reasons), but also because they like doing things that are against the law because it's quite an adrenaline rush to do things you shouldn't.
I agree with Sarah. If people want to drink, they're going to find a way to do it. Fake ID's, having their of-age friends buy the alcohol, going to parties with alcohol when they're underaged (and no one being responsible enough to check ID's)... Somehow, they get the alcohol.
It's a big taboo to drink underaged (for the most part), which is why it's so appealing to college kids - they can go to parties or drink and their parents won't know a thing. It shows a big time irresponsibility, and a lack of regard for the possible consequences.
In NZ's case, upping the drinking age to 20/21 could cause at least one thing: Young kids who think they're entitled to drink because "that's the way it was." You'll have people that were legal that now aren't, and that could cause problems (unless there is a statement that specifically grandfathers them from the new law). You definitely wouldn't see a change right away, except the possibility of making it worse.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

Last edited by TakeTheLeap; August 31st 2010 at 02:07 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 04:39 PM

When considering the legal drinking age (or the age of consent or anything else for that matter) it's important to remember that you can only push it so far before it ceases to be respected, and as a result ceases to practically exist outside of the lawbooks. Over here the drinking age is 18 as well, yet it's considered normal to be drinking at 15. If you try pushing yours up to 21, you'll end up in a similar situation. People will still think it normal for 18-21 students to drink, and from there it's quite easy to consider all underage drinking normal.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 06:25 PM

If you call someone an insult, such as an idiot, you might want to spell it correctly. But that's just me giving you a hard time.

I agree with the zero alcohol in blood, although it may be problematic for people who use mouthwash that have a small amount of alcohol in it. I'm not sure if it would be a problem or not or if it's such a small amount, it's no concern. To have this for people under the drinking age of 18, 20 or 21 only I think is stupid. If such a policy is enacted, it should be for all ages.

I think it should be at around 18 years old but the problem I see is it'd be better to develop better ways to enforce the law rather than bumping up the age. If it's bumped to 20-21, current under 18 underage drinkers are still going to drink so that problem won't be dealt with. People between 18-25 or so drink a lot, probably more than other age groups so there will then be underage drinkers between 18-20/21, which is a damn big group. It's currently disrespected at 18, so when it goes to 20/21, it's not going to be respected a lot more because people see that it still isn't enforced much at all. The best thing would be develop better strategies to maintain and better enforce the drinking age and 18-21 because then it will be respected more. There will still be plenty of underage drinkers but with more being caught, hopefully others will turn away from it. Many will still drink or increase drinking though, which is something that'll happen no matter what.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 07:24 PM

Fake ID's are easy to get, so I don't think raising the age will do anything, 18 year olds will get alcohol even if the age is raised. But the government should invest in educating people especially young people about alcohol and stop making it such a taboo so that young people aren't so eager to go get drunk the first time they see alcohol.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 09:13 PM

I agree
I think that education is the key. Alot of people in my year often go out and get smashed out of their faces and to be honest it is kinda weird. I personally don't see what they gain from it other than throwing up and getting a major hang-over the next morning.
They for some reason find it good to boast about it too.
I'm not gonna lie and say I've never had alcohol, because I have. Infact my parents are the ones who let me drink it.
In my school we cover smoking, drugs, sex and relationships in our personal development classes but we've never actually gone into alcohol and its effects.
I think if people in any country want to cut down on binge drinking, educating people would be ones of the first steps

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker
I can't get enough

Re: Drinking age!will it sop bringe drinking - August 31st 2010, 09:16 PM

i highly dobut it will stop people drinking i mean if they want it that bad they will find a shop somewehre that does not ask for i.d. or they will just ask thier parents to buy it for them. or get some fake i.d. i highly doubt it will stop people drinking.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

Closed Thread