TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Arrow Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 04:49 AM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...6&continuous=1

This is a pretty genius experiment. I'm taking Ethnic Studies and this is one of our assignments. A 3rd grade teacher, Ms. Elliot, segregates the class by the color of their eyes to show them how "black" people in that time felt. This was a time when America was trying to break racism in society.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 05:58 AM

It's a nice idea, but kind of stupid. We over-exaggerate the whole "black people were discriminated against and treated as slaves" shit. Don't get me wrong, it was VERY wrong to discriminate against black people and such, but they weren't the only ones -- Asians were also slaves. And let's not forget the Holocaust. Why target just one aspect? Black people weren't the only people who had it rough back in the day. What she's basically doing is discriminating, in my eyes. You'd teach your kids how bad black people had it, but not Asians or Jews, Gypsies, and Homosexuals.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 06:00 AM

I've seen this before. It's an amazing experiment, and it might have done those kids some good in teaching them something important.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 02:01 PM

Brandon, the experiment is essentially about 'in groups, out groups', group identity and prejudice against 'the other'. Not specifically against black people. At the same time it works with the black people analogy, because similar mechanisms are in play, and racism toward black still exists.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Brandon, the experiment is essentially about 'in groups, out groups', group identity and prejudice against 'the other'. Not specifically against black people. At the same time it works with the black people analogy, because similar mechanisms are in play, and racism toward black still exists.
I watched the video and it was taken when there was still segregation in schools so it makes sense for a teacher to do an experiment like that during those times. But if it was the same experiment in modern times, I'd think it'd be kind of stupid. Should've watched the video before I said anything :S

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I watched the video and it was taken when there was still segregation in schools so it makes sense for a teacher to do an experiment like that during those times. But if it was the same experiment in modern times, I'd think it'd be kind of stupid. Should've watched the video before I said anything :S
I even think during these times experiments could be done about other things. And yes Invert, It's about In Groups and Out Groups. I found this whole thing to be brilliant.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 3rd 2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
It's a nice idea, but kind of stupid. We over-exaggerate the whole "black people were discriminated against and treated as slaves" shit. Don't get me wrong, it was VERY wrong to discriminate against black people and such, but they weren't the only ones -- Asians were also slaves. And let's not forget the Holocaust. Why target just one aspect? Black people weren't the only people who had it rough back in the day. What she's basically doing is discriminating, in my eyes. You'd teach your kids how bad black people had it, but not Asians or Jews, Gypsies, and Homosexuals.

I think It would be very hard for 3rd graders to understand the holocaust. The teacher had to do this at their level and using the analogy of blue and brown eyes worked for them. I think that if she took it any farther it might have caused some confusion you know?

And yes, I agree. There are several cultures where things like this happened. Even Columbus wiped out pretty much the entire Arawak Indian population when he "discovered" America... The liar.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 4th 2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algernon View Post

I think It would be very hard for 3rd graders to understand the holocaust. The teacher had to do this at their level and using the analogy of blue and brown eyes worked for them. I think that if she took it any farther it might have caused some confusion you know?

And yes, I agree. There are several cultures where things like this happened. Even Columbus wiped out pretty much the entire Arawak Indian population when he "discovered" America... The liar.
I agree, Vikings were in North America long before Columbus.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 4th 2010, 03:19 PM

I studied this two years ago in my beginning Psych class. I think the experiment is brilliant--and I think she still does it today, doesn't she? With adults, as a seminar.

She did receive a lot of criticism for it, because of the effects it might have had on the children. However, as I recall, the group got together as adults and did not appear to have experienced negative side-effects. That is not to say, however, that such an experiment should be conducted on children today, because you simply don't know what the results will be for them, mentally. It could still be a very scarring experience.

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#10 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 4th 2010, 05:05 PM

Took forever, but it finally loaded. The reactions of the children were simply amazing. Definitely genius.

ďThere is nothing beautiful about the wreckage of a human being.
There is nothing pretty about damage, about pain, about heartache.
What is beautiful is their strength, their resilience, their fortitude
as they display an ocean of courage when they pick through the
wreckage of their life to build something beautiful brand new,
against every odd that is stacked against them.Ē ó Nikita Gill

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 4th 2010, 07:36 PM

Oprah did that experiment in the 80's or early 90's with her audience. I remember watching a rerun of it and adults were saying stuff about the "out" group and how they were inferior. They made the out group wear paper collars if I remember correctly.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 5th 2010, 08:47 AM

I think it is wrong to discriminate by the colour of our skin, but I think some things done about this are totally overreacting, for example not being allowed to sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep," i am sorry but Baa Baa RAINBOW Sheep doesnt quite do it. Also getting rid of blackboards is STUPID, and getting rid of Gollywogs in Britain is silly! I dont agree with signs outside shops saying Whites only and certain food shops only servicing a certain colour but some things are taken way too far.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 5th 2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
I think it is wrong to discriminate by the colour of our skin, but I think some things done about this are totally overreacting, for example not being allowed to sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep," i am sorry but Baa Baa RAINBOW Sheep doesnt quite do it. Also getting rid of blackboards is STUPID, and getting rid of Gollywogs in Britain is silly! I dont agree with signs outside shops saying Whites only and certain food shops only servicing a certain colour but some things are taken way too far.
I'm sorry, getting rid of blackboards? I've never heard that one, where/why are they doing that? And don't we still have whiteboards?

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 5th 2010, 11:06 AM

Anyone ever see that movie GATTACA? It reminds me of what could be, where we discriminate based on genes. Although is it really discrimination if their is a valid difference?

Space Flight Awards

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 6th 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You know that all of those are myths, right?

(#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 7th 2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron View Post
Not from what I have seen. I do live in NZ the rules may be different here. Also, have you seen Remember the Titans? True stories you know! Blacks were not welcome in restaurants and bars and that. Its not like that now though, but it once was.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 8th 2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Not from what I have seen. I do live in NZ the rules may be different here. Also, have you seen Remember the Titans? True stories you know! Blacks were not welcome in restaurants and bars and that. Its not like that now though, but it once was.
It once was, key word. We owe no debt, and people need to move on about it!

Oh, I just watched the video, and although she tries to disprove it, us blue eyed people, are more intelligent then people with more pigmentation. The same applies to blond people, more intelligent.

Source - http://www.jstor.org/pss/1415114

Space Flight Awards

(#18 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 8th 2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
They're all myths.

(RAH)≤ + (AH)≥ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)≤ + OOH + (LA)≤ = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 8th 2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
It once was, key word. We owe no debt, and people need to move on about it!

Oh, I just watched the video, and although she tries to disprove it, us blue eyed people, are more intelligent then people with more pigmentation. The same applies to blond people, more intelligent.

Would you consider yourself a Nazi? just, you seem to hold almost all of their views. Also, that study was done in 1928. That's uh... quite a long time ago, ya know?

(#20 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 9th 2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by her_beautiful_mistake View Post
They're all myths.
Sorry, but could you explain which parts of her post you think are myths? Are you actually saying that you don't believe people ever refused service to others based on the colour of their skin? Basically, that racial discrimination is a myth?

Quote:

I don't think a study done of one or two schools where blue eyed kids scored 4 points more on average on an IQ test really "proves" anything. Firstly, an IQ test doesn't really measure intelligence. Secondly, there is almost twice as many blue-eyed kids in the study, so it's not exactly equal. Thirdly, they didn't test kids who weren't clearly blue/brown-eyed or blonde/brown-hair. For all we know, green eyed, red haired kids are actually smarter.

And if all that wasn't enough, the journal article actually says "[The results] indicate(s) that no pigmentation-class had any superiority in intelligence as measured by this test."

Eye colour and hair colour has nothing to do with intelligence. And this is coming from someone with blue eyes and blonde hair, so I'm not just bitter .

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

Last edited by ShimmeringFaerie; September 9th 2010 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Grammatical Error =P

(#21 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 9th 2010, 01:01 PM

We watched this in religion last year. It was really interesting and made me think. Yes, me thinking.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 11th 2010, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

Sorry, but could you explain which parts of her post you think are myths? Are you actually saying that you don't believe people ever refused service to others based on the colour of their skin? Basically, that racial discrimination is a myth?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Segregation was entirely voluntary, Martin Luther King was a black supremacist terrorist, and the slave trade was in fact an early form of package tourism. Also, the Holocaust never happened. All those European Jews that vanished? They emigrated, only reappearing to carry out the 9/11 attacks.

Actually, I was talking about the "ban" on Baa Baa Black Sheep, blackboards, and golliwogs. All three of those stories were invented by the British tabloid media and have no basis in fact.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 11th 2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Anyone ever see that movie GATTACA? It reminds me of what could be, where we discriminate based on genes. Although is it really discrimination if their is a valid difference?
I LOVE that movie, and yes, it's still discrimination.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 11th 2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Segregation was entirely voluntary, Martin Luther King was a black supremacist terrorist, and the slave trade was in fact an early form of package tourism. Also, the Holocaust never happened. All those European Jews that vanished? They emigrated, only reappearing to carry out the 9/11 attacks.

Actually, I was talking about the "ban" on Baa Baa Black Sheep, blackboards, and golliwogs. All three of those stories were invented by the British tabloid media and have no basis in fact.
There's no reason for you to be so sarcastic and rude. You're the one who didn't specify in your original post and I just asked for clarification. I had assumed that you were referring to the bans, but Rachel quoted Emma's second post which didn't mention any of those, so I was confused. I don't see how my question justified such an impolite response.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Discrimination By Color - September 13th 2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Would you consider yourself a Nazi? just, you seem to hold almost all of their views. Also, that study was done in 1928. That's uh... quite a long time ago, ya know?
No, I hate Socialism, bloody bad way to run a country, but I do pay my respects to all the brave German soldiers who gave their lives in service to their country, even the Waffen-SS and the Totenkopfverbande.

Space Flight Awards

Closed Thread