TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
rebeccajane Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 12th 2010, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
It always seems to be expected that guys put the toilet seat down when finished, but why don't women put the toilet seat up instead?

What do you think?
Its never bothered me. My brother and i share a toilet and if i go in there and its up, i just put it down. I don't think its that big of a deal.

(#42 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 12th 2010, 03:30 AM

I only care that the toilet seat is clean. As long as it's clean, I do not care if it is left up or down. Living in a household with more males than females, I'm used to it being left up, and I don't mind!

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#43 (permalink)) Old
Silver Halide Offline
Average Joe

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 13th 2010, 03:30 AM

I generally try to leave the seat down. However, I don't think I should be required or expected to. It's interesting to see that more often than not guys will get yelled at for leaving it up but there is no reciprocity there. Either way it takes effort one someone's part.

It would be a moot point if both parties were not lazy. Guys would not have to put the seat up if they took the energy to aim more correctly and girls would not have to worry about falling through if they looked before they sat.

(#44 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 13th 2010, 05:02 AM

Why have an argument about this? Remember, we live in a modern society. For every problem, technology has an answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=or6bphhKD-U

Just let computers worry about this stuff like with everything else.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 13th 2010, 03:36 PM

[quote=Brandon;475153]I think you're...missing my point? And I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. I have a sister, and I've lived with my mom until I was 13 years old so I'm aware of what it's like to "share" a toilet with another woman. But NEVER am I asked to put the toilet seat down when I'm finished by any of my family members because they think it's a small and insignificant issue. And the truth is that it IS a very small and insignificant issue. Putting the toilet seat down requires little effort. In fact, it requires more effort to put the toilet seat UP than down. But I'm not complaining even though there have been situations where I've had to take a piss really bad and got ready only to realize the toilet seat was down. Still, no big deal. I don't see how it would be. If a woman complains about something that small, then who knows how she'd react to something that is even more annoying! If you didn't have arms and legs, then I'd understand. But most women do have arms and legs and therefore...there's really no excuse as to why I should do something (especially when I wouldn't know who's going to use my bathroom next) just because of your gender. I hold the door for any gender at any age. There's other ways to use "common courtesy" and I just don't see the importance of closing lids. From my experience, I just appreciate going to a bathroom that isn't filled with feces. If I have to bend over, which I know is SO HARD for some people for some reason, to pick up a lid, then that is fine with me. But if it's not okay to leave a lid like it is after I'm done, that's not my problem. [quote]

I lift a toilet lid up every time I go to the bathroom, because it's not hard and it's been expressed by my male brother he doesn't like to touch it to be able to sit on the toilet. But anyway, it bothered me you brought up how a woman wouldnt be worth it as a girlfriend, because it's totally out of the blue and off topic, and that's really not all of what women are there for. And comments like that do make uncomfortable, so naturally, I'm going to react, yes?

Quote:
At the same time I shouldn't do something just because you're a woman. It's a choice. If I put the seat down, then kudos to me. If I don't, no harm no fowl. But you can't expect, at this day in age, to have things handed over to you just because you're a woman. I'm already being nice by maintaining the cleanliness of my toilet, I throw away your used tampons and tampon wrappers, I check to make sure that you have toilet paper, if the toilet doesn't flush correctly then I fix the toilet for you. I don't mess with your make-up, but the only thing that I don't do is close the lid. What a shame. I'm such an asshole.
I don't actually know any women who would expect any one but themselves to throw away their menstural products, if they are expecting you to, that's kinda mean. I didn't actually call you an asshole. And I think this discussion seems very male vs female. It shouldn't be. If I'm honest, I guess a lot of my issue with people expecting women to put the toilet seat up, as the first post was expecting is the fact the men I know all seem to seat to pee, and don't want the seat up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
....how can you fall in the loo just because you're a woman? Either you're extremely unobservant, or smashed, or really tired. :|
really tired, and if you aren't use to it. And it's not cause you're a woman. I know a male friend who did this because he was really tired, and sits to pee. (though by falling in the toilet I dont mean getting to the water, I mean more hitting the rim and maybe going in like an inch, like the quoted post below, but its still gross)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post

The only time I have had an experience of this is in the middle of the night when I get up to pee and I am pretty much sleep walking.
I have never actually fell in and got wet from the loo water but I have sort of fell and landed on the edge and bruised my bum from it, that hurt for ages afterwards and I did have a go at my brother about it.

Other than that it doesn't bother me because I look before I sit.

(#46 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 13th 2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
I lift a toilet lid up every time I go to the bathroom, because it's not hard and it's been expressed by my male brother he doesn't like to touch it to be able to sit on the toilet. But anyway, it bothered me you brought up how a woman wouldnt be worth it as a girlfriend, because it's totally out of the blue and off topic, and that's really not all of what women are there for. And comments like that do make uncomfortable, so naturally, I'm going to react, yes?
I love my sister very much. God knows what I would do to keep my sister alive longer than me. Even if I'd be willing to sacrifice my life for my sister, why would I not close the lid for her? It's definitely not because she's not "worth" me having to put the seat down if she's worth more to me than my life. I'm not trying to demoralize women (believe me...I am highly against sexism) by refusing to put the seat down. Now...why say that women who complain about not putting the toilet seat down aren't worth dating? Let's look at an example from a different perspective:

I don't know if you could consider this OCD, but I have to manually lock my car (since it's an 85' muscle car). Even if the passenger claims to lock the passenger door, I still check anyways. Is it okay for the passenger to be upset when they are confident they locked the door? Is it okay for them to feel like I don't trust them? Locking the doors and making sure the doors are locked are part of my routine. Even if I lock the passenger door, I still check anyways from the outside because if I don't...I'd feel uncomfortable. I'd go on throughout my day thinking about my door being unlocked and someone would open the door and steal something important. It's got nothing to do with respect, or your gender. Even if you were the most respectable person on Earth, I'd still check the door because it's something that I feel comfortable doing. It doesn't make me feel like I'm supposed to be doing something important. You ever go somewhere and you feel like you forgot something? It sucks.

So, let's pretend you are the passenger and I do that to you, only instead of chuckling about it...you decide to get angry. Why should I check the door when you already locked it? Do I not trust you? Is something going on that you don't know about? And I would respond...woah, woah, woah, this is my routine. Even I check MYSELF to make sure it's locked.

Keeping the lid open is one of those things too. When I use the restroom, I don't think about anyone else when it comes to the lid. I know that the people who are going to use it next are responsible enough to close the lid themselves. It requires minimal effort. So if it's not hard to do, then guys are expected to close the lid because it's convenient for the next person. As for me, it wouldn't be convenient for me because not only would I open the lid, but I'd close the lid. I would do everything, and they would do nothing (and let's not forget all the other stuff that I do with my bathroom). Seems kind of unfair to me. However, if I opened the lid and left it open, we'd require about the same effort (you'd have to put down the seat, and I'd have to put it up). Therefore, it's fair. And if a woman is upset because she wants something done her way, for her convenience, rather than mine, then she doesn't realize that people do things differently and we don't always do things that you want to do. If I'm driving and I get behind a person doing the speed limit (when most people do 5 MPH over the speed limit), then I'm not going to somehow block them in and give them an explanation why they shouldn't drive the speed limit. They shouldn't do something just because I said for them too. If they're going the speed limit, they aren't breaking any speeding laws. So it's not THEIR problem, even if I'm two inches from their bumper, it's my problem because I'm trying to go faster but legally can't pass the person in front of me. When it comes to women, or maybe even men, who complain about not closing the lid, they're being tailgaters. If you can legally pass, then pass. If you can't, I'm already going 5 miles over the speed limit, I'm not gonna risk getting a ticket just to convenience you. I'm not going close the lid when it's not required that I do just to convenience you. And I don't think anyone likes tailgaters who try to tell you to hurry it up. Don't they piss you off? Same deal with women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
I don't actually know any women who would expect any one but themselves to throw away their menstural products, if they are expecting you to, that's kinda mean. I didn't actually call you an asshole. And I think this discussion seems very male vs female. It shouldn't be. If I'm honest, I guess a lot of my issue with people expecting women to put the toilet seat up, as the first post was expecting is the fact the men I know all seem to seat to pee, and don't want the seat up.
My sister throws her menstrual products in my small trash bin that I have under the sink. But I'm the one who throws the stuff into the big trash can that actually contains a garbage bag to take to the garbage truck pickup. So technically, I am throwing away her stuff, but I'm not picking it all up with my hand. And I know you didn't call me an asshole, I was being sarcastic. I just find it funny how someone could complain about me not closing a lid but yet do all these other things. It's like not closing the lid blows up like a tampon in water and everything else gets forgotten. If I knew a woman was going to complain about me not closing the lid, then I'd just stop cleaning my bathroom, and wouldn't supply toilet paper until I needed it -- that'd make it more convenient for me. But until then, I keep the lid up assuming that we're not going to have problems.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 18th 2010, 09:56 PM

Of course they should. It's gross and rude if they don't.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#48 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 19th 2010, 12:45 AM

I don't really think that it should be expected.
Honestly, the guy will either do it or he won't.

Would I prefer a guy to put it down? Yes of course. I think it would be a nice thing for him to do.
But I wouldn't complain if he didn't.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#49 (permalink)) Old
BrookeTHaddict Offline
~Brooke~Fairy Dust Wishes~
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brooke

Re: Should guys be expected to put the toilet seat down? - September 19th 2010, 01:30 AM

i think the toilet seat should be left down cuz it just looks nicer then seeing the ewwy metal rim and the hole is bigger enough for a guy to aim in but im not really fussed if its up or down aslong as if they make a mess clean it... i just laugh at myself if i accidently sit on the metal bit i just go eww then build a bridge.. or sometimes ive lifted the seat cuz there was pee on it and i wasnt going to clean it the person who made the mess can
  Send a message via MSN to BrookeTHaddict  
Closed Thread