TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Unhappy September 11 - September 11th 2010, 02:45 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Well here in Australia, it's September 11. I was remembering what happened in 2001 and the horror of what went on in New York. Even though it was 9 years ago, there's no way that people will forget the tragedy and pain that America feels because of it. The contraversey of wanting to build the Mosque near Ground Zero has caused a ripple of anger throughout the community.

Remembering the victims, the families of the victims and everyone who has been affected by September 11. We're here for you.

Last edited by Omen.; September 11th 2010 at 03:03 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 03:44 AM

I am always affected by 9/11. Every year I have a few moments to just think of all those that died. I also watch the tv specials on about it, although it gets tough to see all that footage again.

Like today I saw something about the babies that were born that year, and their dads died on 9/11. Heartbreaking.

My heart goes out to all of those affected by it today.

Yet the one thing I don't get is how some people don't get affected by it anymore? Like they just brush it off. Idk. :/

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 03:51 AM

Not everyone feels they've been directly affected by 9/11, Briana. Oh, sure, the country's at war now, and our economy is in the gutter... but it just doesn't hit as close to home for most people. Besides, human beings in general are quick to forget traumatic events. It's easier to push tragedies like 9/11 out of one's mind than to hold on to that pain for nine years (let alone one or two).

I have been directly affected by 9/11. My father has been taken away from me on three occasions (not counting Operation Desert Shield/Storm in the 1990s) thanks to what happened. If he hadn't been sent overseas, I wouldn't have been sent to live with my abusive mother for five years. =/ I would probably be a very different person today, if this event hadn't taken place.

My heart goes out to everyone who lost loved ones on that day, or have been directly affected by the aftermath like I have. <3

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrong™
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 04:00 AM

I had some family living in the state at the time... They ended up okay but so many others didn't. It's so painful for a lot of people... I feel for anybody who was effected in any way. Remember you have support here if you need it.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 04:21 AM

It's really sad, because the last few years I watch the shows late at night about Sept 11th, on Sept 11... It shows the people jumping off and you can hear the thuds... Seriously makes me cry.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount39

Edit avatar

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 04:24 AM

I hardly remember the day at all. Given, I was only four when it happened. I only remember being absolutely terrified when all my friends were being taken home from preschool, and I was one of the few that stayed until the end of the day. I found out what happened, but I was four. It didn't sink in then. Now that I'm old enough to understand what happened, and why it affected us as a nation so much, people are starting to forget. Though I am almost too young to even remember September 11, 2001, I will always think of it as the day that our nation realized that we aren't as strong as we think we are.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Dana Offline
The Jet Setter
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Dana

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 05:20 AM

People will never forget September 11th, just like how people will never forget Hiroshima or any other major disaster from the past. You might not have even been born yet, but the results (economical, societal, psychological) of that day still affect you. The aftershocks of 9/11 will be felt for several generations, I promise you that.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 05:32 AM

I wasn't personally affected by this event but I did watch some documentaries and what not on Discovery Channel and it was hard to watch, so many innocent people died.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Metal♥Lover Offline
Looking For Someone Like Me.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: April

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 05:46 PM

Oh gosh, I was in preschool when this happened. I don't remember any of it. I haven't been directly affected by 9/11 either, but I do find it a terribly sad day. Tragedies like this should never occur, but unfortunatley, they have in the past and they always will in the future. My heart goes out to all the people who have been directly affected, and their families.

♥Check Out My Social Group ♥.::For The Imperfect People::.♥

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 05:47 PM

I was watching them all last night and now. Its just, its shocking. I just cant believe that this all actually happend.

I remember it clearly. We had to rush to mu Grandma's. It was my uncle's plane. The whole family was there, on phone's with the news on, trying to figure out if he had survived, what had happened. I remember my grandma being in a state, and us all crying. Fortunetly, for us, he didn't get on that plane. He got onto a different one. I cant tell you the amount of relief because i know, the lot of us, really thought he had died.

I just, i cant explain how i feel the families who lost loved ones that day.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: September 11 - September 11th 2010, 06:27 PM

Though I don't live anywhere near any of the locations it still affects me as an American. I was 12 or 13 when it happened. My friends told me but I didn't believe them. Got official word in my math class when my teacher read a note from the principal. I was in shock all day.

Cried with my parents that evening.

I've had the news and the history channel on all day today just taking the time to remember it all, letting it sink in again and just honoring those we lost.

I was talking to my mom earlier today and she has students who were 4th graders at the time so they don't remember much.

The news called my generation, the middle schoolers and high schoolers the 9/11 Generation. That's kind of sad and depressing but unfortunately that is part of our legacy.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 12:19 AM

I wasn't personally affected by September 11. I'm more pissed off than I am sad about the attack when people started claiming that 9/11 was a government conspiracy.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I wasn't personally affected by September 11. I'm more pissed off than I am sad about the attack when people started claiming that 9/11 was a government conspiracy.
This really. It's a slap in the face.

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 12:32 AM

cant believe i missed this thread.....

i remember 9/11 ... i was in 4th grade at noble elementery the princbal used the intercom and told all the teachers to turn there tv onto the news network.. all i remember feeling was sadness... i came home that night and my parents didnt mention it untill i brought it up later that night and i remember my dad went out to the garage and my mom just started crying...

(#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 01:23 AM

I do not mean for this to be insulting but I've got to say it.

I remember 9/11 very clearly, I remember watching them fall because my crazy school thought it would be good to roll out the TVs for a bunch of middle schoolers. Here's the touchy part, I cannot stand the fact that for the last 9 years they have played the footage on the anniversary. I feel like it's sensationalized the entire thing. I get it if they did it next year, but really 9 years straight, is that really necessary? Do we really need to watch the same footage of people jumping to their deaths, or hearing the 911 calls of people who didn't make it. I find it insulting to the dead. It's why I refuse to watch any movies that have 9/11 as a plot point. I realize that a lot of people don't agree with this, however it's the way I feel. It's how I react to it, because to be honest I didn't think twice about what day it was on Saturday, but that was my choice. It's been 9 years, it caused a useless war and thousands of other lives that have died as a result of that day, and we need to try to move on. It was a horrible day, and because of the constant reminders caused by the replaying of the footage and these stupid wars we cannot move on, and we are long past due to.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 02:54 AM

I remember my father first blaming the Japanese...

But then later realize it wasn't another pearl harbor.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Lugez Offline
Asshole
Senior TeenHelper

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I do not mean for this to be insulting but I've got to say it.

I remember 9/11 very clearly, I remember watching them fall because my crazy school thought it would be good to roll out the TVs for a bunch of middle schoolers. Here's the touchy part, I cannot stand the fact that for the last 9 years they have played the footage on the anniversary. I feel like it's sensationalized the entire thing. I get it if they did it next year, but really 9 years straight, is that really necessary? Do we really need to watch the same footage of people jumping to their deaths, or hearing the 911 calls of people who didn't make it. I find it insulting to the dead. It's why I refuse to watch any movies that have 9/11 as a plot point. I realize that a lot of people don't agree with this, however it's the way I feel. It's how I react to it, because to be honest I didn't think twice about what day it was on Saturday, but that was my choice. It's been 9 years, it caused a useless war and thousands of other lives that have died as a result of that day, and we need to try to move on. It was a horrible day, and because of the constant reminders caused by the replaying of the footage and these stupid wars we cannot move on, and we are long past due to.
I see what you mean and you make a good point. But we can't forget this and those that died that day. That's why there's a reminder every year. I expect it to happen for some more years, but I think as time goes on we won't hear about it as much. Think of it as like Pearl Harbor or the JFK assassination. Really tough at the time, but as time went on people just get less and less affected by it. But with the new information and "internet" age it's just easier to sensationalize these things and I agree it's a tad overdone. Just a tad.

And yeah, it was scary. Kids at my school were taken out as well. I live in an area where alot of parents work in NYC so there were a couple parents that I knew of who died. I didn't know them personally, nor did I know anyone personally who died, but it sucked to see those kids in pain.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 10:27 AM

I was almost ten when it happened so really I was only just old enough to comprehend the horror of the whole thing, but I wasn't personally affected, and neither was anyone I know. But it's still upsetting now to see footage from the day.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Dark_Night Offline
Average Joe

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 11:30 AM

It's kind of interesting to see the different age groups of when this all happened. I was talking to my mom when I called on Saturday, just an every day phone call and she said she touched on it in her 7th grade class. Her students were only 4 years old at the time of the event so they've just grown up with it through media and history books which I kind of found a bit fascinating.

Though I agree that it might be over sensationalized due to all of our ways of media technology it's not something worth forgetting. In time people will move on but it's not likely to happen over night or even over years.

I know this might sound weird but I find comfort in watching the footage every year only because of how tragic it was. I keep praying that those who died find peace wherever it is they are (ie heaven or whatever) and in a way it's kind of nice to 'hear the voices beyond the grave' so to speak despite how tragic those mometnts were.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: September 11 - September 14th 2010, 06:25 PM

Ok so I was just on facebook and one of my friends had liked "Make September 11th a MAJOR national holiday"

I for one disagree with this, I mean Pearl Harbor is not a major national holiday. And seriously we want to make a holiday out of such a horrible event?! It has always seemed to me that the people who want that just want a day off of work, and school.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#21 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: September 11 - September 15th 2010, 01:40 AM

I remember exactly what happened on that day. I was in 7th grade, during band class when a man in a dark suit with dark glasses and a briefcase came into the band room. He took my band director from the room and was gone for about 5 minutes. When he came back in, he took a deep sigh and said, "Ladies and gentlemen, I need to inform you...." and he kind of paused for a minute, as if he was trying to take it in, and continued, "That the Twin Towers in New York have been attacked." We were then instructed to quickly pack our instruments up, and watched the news for the rest of the class period. Then, the rest of the day was spent watching the news in all of my classes. It didn't really process until I went home and talked to my mom about it. She told me that she remembered watching the towers being built outside of her classroom window as a kid (and she lived in NJ). It was then that it hit that I didn't know whether or not our family was okay.

Thankfully, everyone was fine.
Every 9/11, those images play in my head and the emotions just come flooding back. Confusion, anger, fear, sadness, and a strong bond to my country. No, the event didn't affect me in a personal way, but it -did- affect me. It's a day I'll remember for the rest of my life.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: September 11 - September 16th 2010, 06:15 AM

I remember that when it happened, about half the school was unaware it happened despite being aired on TV. It was during the regular school assembly that happens every 2 weeks and I was in grade 7-8 at the time, somewhere there. The teachers there had their phones off but some students had theirs on vibrate and there began a small commotion that myself, others students and the teachers didn't know why. The assembly continued as it was about half-way through anyways, and by the time we got back to homeroom, other teachers who weren't at assembly were rushing about in a panic and parents phoned the school to get some of their kids out, so the school decided to let everyone out early.
On the way home I was being told by my father what happened but he only saw the first plane hit, then left to call my mother as she had some close friends there. When he picked me up from school, we heard on the radio about two planes, which confused him because he said it was only one. Once we came home, I remember flipping on the TV and seeing both crashes then later, seeing the buildings fall.

It's been played over and over, I think so many are desensitized to it but some become more sensitive to it. The thing that annoys me is the conspiracy theories as to why it happened and subsequent anger to something like the mosque being built.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread