TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 06:35 PM

In China a man taught his puppy how to smoke cigarettes and now being only 6-months old, the canine smokes a pack a day! He has now been charged with animal cruelty.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/wpi...,2689641.story

Isn't that terrible.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 06:40 PM

That's horrendous! How could someone do such a thing?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
darkangeljbm Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jaclyn

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 07:04 PM

sounds like someone was bored to me I don't think he ment any real harm in the animal chances are he just wanted something to talk about with people

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 07:35 PM

Things a lot worse are done to animals in the West. If it were not for the comedy factor it wouldn't even have been reported.

Sure it's bad for the dog, but at least if he stops now he won't suffer too many ill effects. At least he's still alive.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 07:59 PM

I think that's horrible but it's not quite as bad some of the other things people do to their animals </3
Poor puppy.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangeljbm View Post
sounds like someone was bored to me I don't think he ment any real harm in the animal chances are he just wanted something to talk about with people
Seriously? When you are bored I donít think the first thing that comes to your mind is letís teach an animal how to smoke! Read a dam book or play some video games do something productive donít mess up a poor little dog. This is ridiculous I hate when people abuse animals.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 10:24 PM

I once saw an article about someone who taught their snake how to smoke. It is absolutely disgraceful what people do to their animals nowadays. Hopefully, animal control will intervene and be able to wear this poor puppy off of the cigarettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
Things a lot worse are done to animals in the West. If it were not for the comedy factor it wouldn't even have been reported.

Sure it's bad for the dog, but at least if he stops now he won't suffer too many ill effects. At least he's still alive.
I actually disagree. If I knew my neighbor was teaching his dog how to smoke, I would report it too, and not for the comedy factor. Imagine the effects smoking has on the average person. Now think about what it could do to a six month old dog who is still developing. True, he is still alive, but for how long if he continues this way?

Animal abuse is animal abuse. Some cases are much more horrific than others, sure, but that doesn't make the latter any less important. That's like saying it's okay to call your children profane names, as long as you don't lay a hand on them. The long-term effects of that treatment are still harmful. It still calls for intervention.

Last edited by DeletedAccount31; September 12th 2010 at 10:33 PM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Silver View Post
I actually disagree. If I knew my neighbor was teaching his dog how to smoke, I would report it too, and not for the comedy factor. Imagine the effects smoking has on the average person. Now think about what it could do to a six month old dog who is still developing. True, he is still alive, but for how long if he continues this way?

Animal abuse is animal abuse. Some cases are much more horrific than others, sure, but that doesn't make the latter any less important. That's like saying it's okay to call your children profane names, as long as you don't lay a hand on them. The long-term effects of that treatment are still harmful.
I wasn't saying this case wasn't wrong, I was simply stating that far more horrific incidents happen on a regular basis - and yes, I do believe that say mutilating and killing one dog is worse than increasing another's risk of lung cancer. By reported I meant reported on by the press, not reported to the police - definitely all cases of animal cruelty are despicable and should be acted upon.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 12th 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Of V View Post
I wasn't saying this case wasn't wrong, I was simply stating that far more horrific incidents happen on a regular basis - and yes, I do believe that say mutilating and killing one dog is worse than increasing another's risk of lung cancer. By reported I meant reported on by the press, not reported to the police - definitely all cases of animal cruelty are despicable and should be acted upon.
Oh, okay, that makes more sense.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 13th 2010, 06:03 AM

I agree with others saying it is not as bad as what other dog owners do but I cant find the humour in this. Sad thing is, the source doesnt say if he got the dog taken away from him, in which case, Id bet that he would either continue doing it or do something similar. Call it suspicion but a chef, in China, owns a dog and shows not much care for it, makes me agree with much of the comments from the people on the website from the source. I wonder if the other chefs with meat cleavers find this funny or not, hopefully not.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 13th 2010, 06:07 AM

Poor dog. People shouldn't treat animals cruelly in any form. Although, some of the more horrific never make the news. Only the stupid cases like this. People are idiots. -_-

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 13th 2010, 02:03 PM

Welcoooooooooome to Malboro Country!

I'd like to know the penalties on Animal Cruelty, but ceebs looking them up. I'm guessing their pretty bad. I know that where I'm from, shooting a kangaroo is considered animal cruelty if you do it without a permit (a guy that lived around the corner from us shot a kangaroo with an bow and arrow; went to jail for six months - my dad and I go out hunting occasionally with permits and farmer's permission to cull them). With a permit, you can kill up to 500 kangaroos a day. Damn, they're good fun to shoot too.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 13th 2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Composure View Post
...a guy that lived around the corner from us shot a kangaroo with an bow and arrow...
Shooting anything with an arrow is cruelty....
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 13th 2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Silver View Post
True, he is still alive, but for how long if he continues this way?
You know they eat dog (and cat) in China right? That dog might not be suppose to live for his full life span, he might suppose to be dinner. Even if he isn't meant to be food, at all, ever, dogs used for food, and cats, are raised usually in appaulling conditions, and reportedly have been known to be skinned alive. I struggle to get angry at a smoking dog in a country where that is happening (yes, I'm aware many people in China do not support the treatment, or even eating, of these animals, and they are trying to criminalise it.). Particularly as if the dog is simply a pet, if he gets ill, they are unlikely to leave him living in pain till death, and will humanely put him down.

Or maybe the chef, not having any future prospects, might have thought the smoking dog was going to get him fame, which back fired, clearly. And yes, I'm aware 'animals shouldnt be treated badly to make someone famous/rich', but it does make it a bit more understandable, particularly in a country which is unlikely to have as strong of an anti-smoking attitude.... the guy doesn't seem to think he is being mean and as otherwise said, the dog isn't like being tortured. So sure, the dog should stop smoking, but it's not particularly horriffic if Im honest. And the man is an idiot by the sounds of it.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 14th 2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
You know they eat dog (and cat) in China right? That dog might not be suppose to live for his full life span, he might suppose to be dinner. Even if he isn't meant to be food, at all, ever, dogs used for food, and cats, are raised usually in appaulling conditions, and reportedly have been known to be skinned alive. I struggle to get angry at a smoking dog in a country where that is happening (yes, I'm aware many people in China do not support the treatment, or even eating, of these animals, and they are trying to criminalise it.). Particularly as if the dog is simply a pet, if he gets ill, they are unlikely to leave him living in pain till death, and will humanely put him down.
I was thinking the same thing: the guy does his sentence and then returns to the dog, which probably wouldn't live for too long given the fact he's a chef with a meat cleaver and in China where the dog is bound to be dinner soon. Unfortunately, it's more than cats that get skinned alive, dogs do also supposedly to make them taste better. The thing that always crosses my mind then, is whether having the person get the snot kicked out of them make them tastier for dogs or not, just to put a spin on those Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invert View Post
Or maybe the chef, not having any future prospects, might have thought the smoking dog was going to get him fame, which back fired, clearly.
I never thought of that but even if this idiot did get lots of good fame for getting his dog to smoke, assuming he didn't put it on the table for dinner, it wouldn't live that long due to the damage from the cigarette smoke.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#16 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 14th 2010, 04:42 PM

yeah it's bad but it's hardly news-worthy. far, far worse things than this happen every day.

most the people who are so outraged by this probably eat meat anyway. killing animals is worse than teaching them to smoke.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 15th 2010, 01:28 AM

Teaching a dog to SMOKE is beyond me.I mean dogs can learn many things, but this is NOT a trick.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 15th 2010, 01:39 AM

Is there even animal abuse laws in China?!
I feel like the story is fabricated.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Smoking Puppy - September 15th 2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post
Is there even animal abuse laws in China?!
I feel like the story is fabricated.
If I remember correctly they are currently bringing in animal cruelty legislation.
Closed Thread