TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:09 PM

I saw something online and I was wondering what do you think of children who identify as transgenders?
Can children that young truly distinguish their sexual identity or is it just a phase?
If your child felt that they were born in the wrong body and were experiencing periods of depression and anger would you let them live as the gender they identify with?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:11 PM

whatever makes them happy...if its just a phase theyll come out of it ...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:24 PM

I know that transgender people know relatively young if they are transgender. I would let them live as the gender they identify with and see if it's a phase

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:30 PM

I hate the "its just a phase" thing. :/

It really isn't a phase, if you say that this is "just a pahse" then others are going to say lesbians and gays are going through phases.

I think it is fine, they can do what they want.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briana View Post
I hate the "its just a phase" thing. :/

It really isn't a phase, if you say that this is "just a pahse" then others are going to say lesbians and gays are going through phases.

I think it is fine, they can do what they want.
I think it also depends on the age of the child here, because it's somewhat normal for small children to play and dress up as the opposite gender so I would wonder if they were playing or if they were transgender. But either way they would be my child and I would love them no matter what

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; September 14th 2010 at 07:30 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 06:36 PM

It does depend on the age. I've seen it happen where it was a phase (mind, the child was very young)

So i guess i would just support them. If it passed, it passed. If not then i would always be supportive.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 07:13 PM

I wouldn't give a flying monkeys if my child was transgendered. I'd support them no matter what. To be honest I will tell them that being gay, bi, transexual is completely "normal" and if they happen to be gay or whatever then it's not a huge deal to me at all.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
I wouldn't give a flying monkeys if my child was transgendered. I'd support them no matter what. To be honest I will tell them that being gay, bi, transexual is completely "normal" and if they happen to be gay or whatever then it's not a huge deal to me at all.
If only ever parent was like you.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 07:27 PM

I feel the same as Ceilidh. I would support my child no matter what sexuality or gender they are. It doesn't matter at all to me. I think some people or children know that they are transgendered from when they are young. For some it might 'just be a phase' but I think for many it is actual realization.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 07:36 PM

I would allow them to identify with whichever gender they felt the most comfortable as, even if it was just for a certain period of time. A lot of children do go through phases, but the way I see it is, much of the time gender concerns are genuine and not simply a "passing phase." But even if it was just that, I would want to encourage my child to explore various aspects of life until he found something that best suited him. Whether parents choose to acknowledge it or not, phases are an important part of growing up and discovering yourself. I do not think they should be discouraged, unless they are truly heinous.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 08:08 PM

Am I the only person who thinks they should teach about homosexuality/bisexuality/transsexualism in schools during sex education? :| I actually find it a little worrying that they don't (they didn't in my school anyway)

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Name: Basil!!!

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 08:19 PM

I wouldn't quite say it's impossible for a child to know he's transgendered, but I don't see why we should start labeling them so young. It could turn out to be their true gender, or it could be part of the many phases of childhood development. I know when i was a child I identified more with girls than with boys, even sitting in the girls' side of the classroom at the start of primary school, but that was rather because I preferred the "princess" stereotypes to the "GI Joe" one that young boys follow. The world children live in is completely alien to our own, and I don't think that they are fully capable to make such decisions until they leave that world.
  Send a message via MSN to Union Of V  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
I think it also depends on the age of the child here, because it's somewhat normal for small children to play and dress up as the opposite gender so I would wonder if they were playing or if they were transgender.
True. When I was little, I was a tomboy, and liked playing Ninja Turtles, Transformers, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog. I wasn't girly at all, nor was my best friend for many years.
We both grew up to be heterosexual females. I still have my days where I dress down, but it's obvious I'm a female, even in baggy jeans and a band tee. I also have days I wear skirts and corset tops. And the former best friend? She's very girly herself.

So really, a child identifying so young CAN be a phase, much like some teenaged girls identifying themselves as Bisexual, just to end up changing their minds when they're done with the phase, whether it be a couple months or a couple years.

I'd just let the child live how they choose, and well, if they "grow out of it", thats fine. If they've permanently established that identity, thats perfectly fine too.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
Am I the only person who thinks they should teach about homosexuality/bisexuality/transsexualism in schools during sex education? :| I actually find it a little worrying that they don't (they didn't in my school anyway)
I agree. very much.

I played with cars and such and was never girly....and to this day i dress tomboyish and im a lesbian.

I mean ya, it does depend on how young they are, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Re: Transgender Children - September 14th 2010, 10:35 PM

Well personally, I knew that I should have been a girl ever since I found out there was a difference between boys and girls and I've never once doubted that feeling. I just wish my parents would have believed me back then instead of telling me 'it was just a phase', but ah well.
Right now, mostly because of that, I'm only actually out to my mum, my dad is completely clueless. If I'd've had the support from a such a young age, I think my life would be pretty different... ∂x
  Send a message via MSN to That Sullen Piñata  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 07:54 AM

You can't be "born the wrong gender", you have two chromosones, XX or XY, (Female or Male), nature doesn't just give you male and throw in a female brain. It's in your head if you think you are the wrong gender, you can't be the wrong gender, genetics don't allow such an illogical idea.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

Last edited by Guile; September 16th 2010 at 12:16 AM.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 07:55 AM

I watched a documentary on this recently...and I am not sure what I believe to be honest, I certainly would not be giving my 6 year old boy oestrogen pills or whatever they take to make themselves female, or vice versa for the girls. But I do believe that some young ones do really want to be another gender, and if that's the case, so be it.
What does get me though, is 6 year old boys wanting 'boobs' and 6 year old girls wanting a 'penis.' I am sorry but I find that rather disturbing at such a young age.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
What does get me though, is 6 year old boys wanting 'boobs' and 6 year old girls wanting a 'penis.' I am sorry but I find that rather disturbing at such a young age.
Childhood development is still not a talked-about subject outside of the sphere of psychology. If children start exploring their sexuality at a young age, there's no reason why they shouldn't question their gender also. It's often by questioning themselves that they improve their self-awareness. Again, however, nothing's set in stone until puberty ends...
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
You can't be "born the wrong gender", you have teo chromosones, XX or XY, (Female or Male), nature doesn't just give you male and throw in a female brain. It's in your head if you think you are the wrong gender, you can't be the wrong gender, genetics don't allow such an illogical idea.
Wow. Thank you so much for your insight. Please excuse me and countless others while we completely rethink our entire lives. You sir, have opened our eyes.
4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Sullen Piñata View Post
Wow. Thank you so much for your insight. Please excuse me and countless others while we completely rethink our entire lives. You sir, have opened our eyes.
Quoted For Truth.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
You can't be "born the wrong gender", you have teo chromosones, XX or XY, (Female or Male), nature doesn't just give you male and throw in a female brain. It's in your head if you think you are the wrong gender, you can't be the wrong gender, genetics don't allow such an illogical idea.
Alot of people WILL disagree with that. That is the most ignorant thing you could say. You are not in their shoes.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Transgender Children - September 15th 2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
There are many factors that determine someone's gender identity, and assuming they're basing it on a sheerly genetic factor seems rather silly. Not only can girls naturally like boy stuff, but they can also be influenced by older brothers. And guys could be more feminine because they feel out-of-place with their emotions (in comparison to other males), or have never had a male influence in their lives.

To say its just "all in their head", sure, it could be in their head, but then again, its not something that they can just take a pill for and "get better". I say if someone wants to be transgendered, don't take any drastic steps until they're absolutely sure.

As Emma said, they COULD develop their identity young, but I'd NEVER give any sort of hormone therapy to a child/teen, thats an adult's decision to make on their own, not on behalf of someone else.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Transgender Children - September 16th 2010, 12:18 AM

Sure you can enjoy things outside of traditional "gender roles", but you are physically one gender or another. You can't be the wrong one, because you weren't born "to be a guy", you were simply given the random chance of your gender based on your father's DNA.

Space Flight Awards

(#24 (permalink)) Old
darkangeljbm Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jaclyn

Re: Transgender Children - September 16th 2010, 12:25 AM

i would let me child be who they want to. as long as they don't want to be a bank robber or a murder or rapist I will be happy to my self there mother

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Transgender Children - September 16th 2010, 12:33 AM

But the father's sperm cell doesn't necessarily contain all of the DNA it's supposed to. It doesn't always carry the right number of chromosomes, or all the chromosomes it should; and mutations occur, otherwise species just would not evolve. Without this happening, every animal would be an exact mix of its parents, and they would be almost genetically identical themselves if the mutations and errors didn't occur (since their parents would be almost identical and their parents, and so on).
We can plainly see that there is diversity in our world, which is good, animals can better suit their environment, and better survive. Why then is it so hard to believe that some of these 'chromosomal mis-matches' (so to speak) could lead to a child being born the wrong sex?
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Transgender Children - September 16th 2010, 12:52 AM

Because women aren't naturally interested in dolls, make-up, and etc. It's social pressures that make them that way, gender is what you, literally speaking, have there. You can't be born a male with a female attitude because there is no genetic basis for that.

Space Flight Awards

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Union Of V Offline
Scepticism With A Tail
I can't get enough

Re: Transgender Children - September 16th 2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Because women aren't naturally interested in dolls, make-up, and etc. It's social pressures that make them that way, gender is what you, literally speaking, have there. You can't be born a male with a female attitude because there is no genetic basis for that.
You do realize this is one of the few places on the internet where trolls are almost ineffective, Guile?
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Transgender Children - September 17th 2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post

Alot of people WILL disagree with that. That is the most ignorant thing you could say. You are not in their shoes.
I dont really think that comment was meant like that. You can't be born the wrong gender...because there is no 'correct' gender to be born...if you understand me. But you can always dislike the gender you were born as. And there isn't anything wrong with that. That is how I read that comment, I do not think it was ignorance at all.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Marguerite Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marguerite

Re: Transgender Children - September 17th 2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I don't know why this was considered trolling.

I wouldn't care if my child was transgender. Of course I would be concerned for them, how they would deal with it, how they would be treated etc... But a parents love should be unconditional and bar your child turning out to be a serial killing rapist nothing should ever change that.

That said, what Guile said was 100% absolutely true. I mean, the second bit, and the first one was kinda true. Someone can be born the wrong gender as gender is a social term, but someone cannot be born the wrong sex and sex is a biological term. That much is obvious.

What I'm saying is that his most recent post was spot on. Girls aren't born interested in dolls and clothes and boys aren't born interested in cars and sport. We as a society seem to be okay with 'tom boys'. We are less kind on feminine boys but it is not considered 'wrong' for a boy to want to cook or shop.

Bar getting a sex change, which I must add I am completely okay with, a boy for instance walking around in a dress and playing with dolls is pretty 'normal' depending on what you consider normal.

I mean, obviously it goes against social norms, but, just because someone doesn't like to do what society tells them to do doesn't mean they are odd. They do what they feel, which in a way makes them a lot more normal than the rest of us.

To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget

~Arundhati Roy

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Transgender Children - September 17th 2010, 12:02 PM

I dont think kids can say that they are transgendered personally. When you're little you do what you want, you don't really find out who you are till later teens.

I, myself was the biggest tomboy going when i was younger, i'm not now... things change. So yes I do think in terms of kids being trangendered it is a "phase".
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: Transgender Children - September 17th 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylight View Post

No, that's scientific fact.

"The XY sex-determination system is the sex-determination system found in humans, most other mammals, some insects (Drosophila) and some plants (Ginkgo). In this system, females have two of the same kind of sex chromosome (XX), and are called the homogametic sex. Males have two distinct sex chromosomes (XY), and are called the heterogametic sex. However, an opposite scheme is found in birds."

Space Flight Awards

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Transgender Children - September 18th 2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
You can't be "born the wrong gender", you have two chromosones, XX or XY, (Female or Male), nature doesn't just give you male and throw in a female brain. It's in your head if you think you are the wrong gender, you can't be the wrong gender, genetics don't allow such an illogical idea.
http://www.chemistrydaily.com/chemistry/Transsexual

I invite you to educate yourself.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Transgender Children - September 18th 2010, 10:40 PM

I think children should be able to be happy. But I don't think young children can distinguish gender or sexual identity at such a young age.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Transgender Children - September 18th 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Aren't you talking about a person's sex, and everyone else is talking about a person's gender?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Transgender Children - September 18th 2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider*man(girl) View Post

Aren't you talking about a person's sex, and everyone else is talking about a person's gender?
The gentleman disbelieves a difference between the two.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
Closed Thread