TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 16th 2010, 11:59 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39221785...me_and_courts/

A woman who claimed she was the victim of an acid attack has admitted her injuries were self-inflicted, Vancouver, Wash., police said Thursday afternoon.

I kinda feel bad for her now..

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 12:33 AM

...The fuck?

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 02:13 AM

Haha, what a loser.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 07:01 AM

I laughed.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 01:33 PM

I saw it this morning on the news. She was absolutely beautiful before. I think it's really sad. I hope she is getting help.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 08:24 PM

hm, at least the truth is out now and the people who live there aren't scared about some lunatic on the loose. i guess i feel sorry for her. i hope her face heals up.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Apollo Offline
LiveStrongô
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Apollo

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 08:33 PM

I didn't laugh, and I don't think she's a loser. However, I think that's extremely horrible to make up something like that... Hopefully she gets some type of help.

Always feel free to contact me.
<3 |.YOU ARE LOVED.| <3

.TOMORROW IS A NEW DAY.

You may think the world is better off without you...
The truth:
The world isn't
good enough without you.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 08:52 PM

It's sad that she had to do that in order to get attention.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 11:18 PM

She obviously was crying out for help this isn't funny and she isn't a loser I burned my hand with scalding hot water and ended up with severe second degree burns. It was extremely painful, that woman would not have put herself in excrutiating pain for attention she's crying out for help

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 17th 2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl747 View Post
She obviously was crying out for help this isn't funny and she isn't a loser I burned my hand with scalding hot water and ended up with severe second degree burns. It was extremely painful, that woman would not have put herself in excrutiating pain for attention she's crying out for help
It is hilarious, and I'll provide evidence:

Quote:
"This was not something that was on their radar screen," she said. "Her family, her friends, they were all devastated that this had happened to her. I think it came as a shock to most of them that she was actually in a state of mind and could inflict something like this. ...
If this was a cry out for help, why didn't she bother to tell her family, let alone her own friends? They didn't know, therefore she didn't even bother to tell them. I think that's kind of a pathetic away to "cry out for help" when she never even bothered to explain her "state of mind" to her own friends. So I already mark the "L" on her forehead for this alone.

People even said that it was a waste of an investigation and "incredibly expensive." She wasted people's time. She accused an innocent person, she manipulated the public's view, and she miserably failed at getting what she wanted. Instead, she got no where in her scheme and left her with, pretty much, a screwed up face. If you're going to mess up your face, at least follow through with a plan so you don't look totally stupid in the end.

So yes, I'm gonna have to call the "loser" card.

Last edited by Brandon; September 17th 2010 at 11:54 PM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 18th 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
It is hilarious, and I'll provide evidence:

If this was a cry out for help, why didn't she bother to tell her family, let alone her own friends? They didn't know, therefore she didn't even bother to tell them. I think that's kind of a pathetic away to "cry out for help" when she never even bothered to explain her "state of mind" to her own friends. So I already mark the "L" on her forehead for this alone.

People even said that it was a waste of an investigation and "incredibly expensive." She wasted people's time. She accused an innocent person, she manipulated the public's view, and she miserably failed at getting what she wanted. Instead, she got no where in her scheme and left her with, pretty much, a screwed up face. If you're going to mess up your face, at least follow through with a plan so you don't look totally stupid in the end.

So yes, I'm gonna have to call the "loser" card.
I think that it is extremely insensitive to be dubbing her a "loser" because of this. No, she didn't explain her state of mind to her friends or family, but that is (or can be) partially what self-harm is about - communication. Before you even say, "Well, if she wanted help she should have asked for it," you can't truly understand unless you've been in that situation.

I am a recovering self-harmer myself, and for me, communication did play a role in its development. I grew up in a household where I was never allowed to express my feelings verbally. When I first told people I was depressed, they wrote me off. So, I translated my pain into something that everyone can understand. Not all people can relate to the abstract, irrational thinking of a person in emotional distress, but everyone can comprehend physical pain. It was my way of saying, "Please help me, I'm hurting."

Yes, she did lie, and yes, it was wrong. But maybe lying wasn't her plan from the beginning. Maybe she intended to be honest but got scared. After all, how do you possibly explain that you maimed yourself to someone who has never experienced anything like it? Even I have taken advantage of the infamous "My cat did it" excuse. Being open about your self-harm is a terrifying matter.

This poor girl is probably in profound emotional distress. I don't think it's fair to label her in such a way. I truly hope she gets the help she needs. That is no way to live.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 18th 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Silver View Post
I think that it is extremely insensitive to be dubbing her a "loser" because of this. No, she didn't explain her state of mind to her friends or family, but that is (or can be) partially what self-harm is about - communication. Before you even say, "Well, if she wanted help she should have asked for it," you can't truly understand unless you've been in that situation.

It's not being "extremely insensitive" to call her a loser. I rely on facts. The fact is that no one pushed her to throw acid on her face; hence why they call it self-infliction. If I don't understand self-infliction, fine, but when you take it even further to accuse an innocent person of that infliction, then you have every right to be called a loser. Because anyone with a brain stem would say that it's not fair for the innocent person to be accused when they had nothing to do with the infliction anyways. So if her self-infliction was a call out to help, why did she accuse someone? Why not say that you inflicted yourself in the beginning? My viewpoint doesn't change just because I don't understand self-infliction. Regardless, there's other ways to self-inflict without doing the most physical damage to your body. At least cuts heal up eventually on the wrists (I think?), while acid eats your flesh. That's pleasant and a real smart thing to do. Maybe "loser" wouldn't be the right word even though I would kind of say yes, but she was extremely stupid, and even SHE was "extremely insensitive."

Quote:
I am a recovering self-harmer myself, and for me, communication did play a role in its development. I grew up in a household where I was never allowed to express my feelings verbally. When I first told people I was depressed, they wrote me off. So, I translated my pain into something that everyone can understand. Not all people can relate to the abstract, irrational thinking of a person in emotional distress, but everyone can comprehend physical pain. It was my way of saying, "Please help me, I'm hurting."

When you were self-inflicting, did you accuse anyone of your self-infliction?

Quote:
Yes, she did lie, and yes, it was wrong. But maybe lying wasn't her plan from the beginning. Maybe she intended to be honest but got scared. After all, how do you possibly explain that you maimed yourself to someone who has never experienced anything like it? Even I have taken advantage of the infamous "My cat did it" excuse. Being open about your self-harm is a terrifying matter.

That still doesn't make it right. Someone could get in trouble for not doing anything. There have been people who were thrown in prison/jail from someone else accusing them. Manipulation is never a justification for your personal problems.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 18th 2010, 11:39 PM

I honestly hope she gets the help she needs. She definitely needs profound psychological help.

It was wrong to blame someone for it though.
However, the fact that she confessed shows that she knows how wrong it is to blame someone.

I will definitely be praying for her.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 19th 2010, 04:26 AM

I myself am a recovering self harmer I was so depressed in September 2009 and I was having a bad reaction to a new medication that made me purposely burn my left arm for the second time, When I was cutting in 8th grade I told everyone who asked that either my dog did it because she got too playful and jumped on me(which was impossible for my dog) I blamed my dog. I'm not saying that the gal blaming someone else was okay but obviously she freaked and maybe she was too scared to tell the truth she didn't know what to do and I have been in that situation I had a teacher when I was cutting in 8th grade realize what I was doing after seeing the school counselor and when I got to that teachers class he pulled me aside and said "Ashley it was me I told Mrs.Reed(school counselor) I knew that you did that to yourself and that it wasn't your dog. I hope your not mad at me I told Mrs.Reed because I care) I wasn't mad at all at my teacher he was the only one who noticed and did something about it. It sounds stupid but I really did feel guilty for lying and blaming my dog when all penny(my dog) did was love me and make me feel better.

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Woman admits acid attack was 'self-inflicted' - September 19th 2010, 12:49 PM

Wow. That's all I can say. Why?

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread