TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 10:07 AM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're fine and dandy!

33 Miners - who have been trapped in a Chilean mine ever since it caved-in on August the 5th - are expected to be 'freed' sometime in early NOVEMBER.

That's three MONTHS!!

Click on THIS to read the story.

QUESTION:

How well do YOU think you would be able to cope in that situation?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 11:19 AM

I've been hearing about this, those poor men.
To be honest, I really don't know how I'd cope in that situation until I was in it (God forbid.) But I think it's better that there's a fair few of them down there than just one by himself, or even two. It can be easier to stay positive in a group. Also they've been sent down provisions and even anti-depressants to keep them going.
I think however, it must be a lot easier to stay positive if they know they will be getting out ~ even if it takes a few months. I think if you weren't sure how long you were going to be stuck down there it would be a lot harder to keep going.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 06:47 PM

......... I'd be put in a looney bin if I survived. I don't even like tight spaces on video games. :|

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Algernon Offline
CPT-1 Phlebotomist
Outside, huh?

Name: Holly

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 07:03 PM

Well, since I'm claustrophobic I would probably have to have someone talk to me most of the time. =( I feel really bad for them. I do like that they've developed this little society in the mine though. Brilliant idea.

Geek? Nerd? More like intellectual badass.

"You ran through Africa, and Asia, and Indonesia.. And now I've found you, and I love you. I want to know your name."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Algernon  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 07:14 PM

That's so horrible to hear, I wonder how they've been surviving in there for so long. I don't think I'd manage it, I'd end up going demented and needing a slap to shut me up.

Poor men

(#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 08:05 PM

I remember when this first came out...I suppose the big positives are (a) they survived in the first place and (b) they have now drilled three bore holes for supplies and one of the rescue shafts has reached them, although it will need widening by about 40cm before anyone can be evacuated. I'm not sure how I would cope in the same situation as it's almost impossible to say until you're faced with something like that - what I might say in front of a computer screen may not be the same 700m underground. That said, I would hope that the fact rescue attempts are underway continuously and the fact that there is contact with the surface and a definite knowledge that a rescue WILL happen would keep me going. I would imagine the first few weeks when none of that was known would have been the hardest.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 17th 2010, 08:16 PM

firstly.. i hope the chilean miners are freed as soon as possible! my heart goes out to them and their families.. it must be very traumatic.

as for being trapped.. i don't mind my own company and i don't get claustrophobic but being stuck that far underground in what isn't the safest of environments would be difficult though. survival instinct would probably kick in and with the help of the people around me i'd probably get through it.. but i think what makes it worse (and hard for us to imagine) is the fact that they don't know when they'll be freed.. it probably feels like a never ending nightmare.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Literally Trapped for Three Months - Could you cope? - September 18th 2010, 11:47 PM

I feel sorry for them because it must be really really difficult.

I wouldn't like that one little bit but I could cope because I have God in my life.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
Closed Thread