TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 06:16 AM

Yeah I know I post a lot of Music related threads but this one really hits my nerve.
Today was my last day of Year 12 before I face my major exams in a few weeks time. So because we had finished all of our course work and because of the camp my year advisor had organised, there were only 2 Year 12 students at school today. Yes me and a friend of mine.
For the first 2 periods of the day, I was in a teachers classroom with my friend and we were discussing Music with the teacher whose a Music fan though he doesn't teach it.
The teacher practically insulted me and said that the few bands I mentioned that I liked used the same riffs for their songs and pretty much said that one of the bands wasn't classified as being "Music". Now the bands that my friend and teacher likes, I'm not a fan of such as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, bands like that but I didn't say that they weren't "Musicians" just because I'm not exactly a fan.
I have a lot of respect for all people who are talented though I may not be a massive fan of that person. The question that I'm asking is:
Do you have respect for those that are talented though you may not exactly like them and you find them annoying?

Last edited by Omen.; September 24th 2010 at 08:36 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 08:33 AM

That depends on the artist or band in question for me, personally...
There are bands such as Muse and Radiohead, whom I can't honestly say appeal to me a great deal, but I still have a great deal of respect for them, and I can appreciate that they definitely do have talent, but then there are people like Justin Bieber who (in my opinion) do NOT deserve the fame and the recognition they get, when there are much more talented and creative people out there getting ignored.
  Send a message via MSN to That Sullen Piñata  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 12:52 PM

I agree with your teacher, I mean, a lot of modern 'music' is made on a computer? O.o
But yes, very few bands these days actually have talent, it's more about looking good than sounding good...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 02:16 PM

If they actually HAVE talent, then yeah I respect them. Like Christina Aguilera, not a huge fan of her music, but that girl can SING and I have huge respect and admiration for that. But the Disney Channel kids, and Justin Bieber and other non talented people that somehow have a career because people nowadays don't know what actual musical talent is, no I have no respect for them.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 04:47 PM

*This wasn't meant to be offensive or directed towards any particular member. Many of the views of members that have posted are very common in today's society*

OK, I work/dabble/etc... in almost every part of the music industry. You will very rarely see me say a band sucks and has no talent. Cues truth be told, you act like that in the MI you wont make it to far, plus, most people have there pros they can expolite to be a better musican.

Personally, I dont like justin bieber, but he is a very good singer. Same with disney musicians, I may not like their pacific genre but it doesn't mean there not good musicians. I heard demi lovato sing once and she was amazing!

"Most music nowadays is made on a computer. That is pretty much 100% correct. It switched from analog to digital as the norm. when it come to producing, recording, mixing and mastering. IT's just easier to record a musician and import it into a computer then it is to do it with analog, plus, you have much more control over the tracks.

But I''m guessing thats not what you mean, I'm guessing you mean pop/tech/house kind of music. Yes, most of that is made purely on a computer using a midi controller. There are many types of midi controller on the market is something that looks like a keyboard with usually a few extra knobs. So yes, when there making music are using individual acoustic drums, guitars,etc... when they make house/tech/pop, usually no, but they still have to create the track on a "keyboard", and that's not the easiest thing to do.

Last edited by Halo345; September 24th 2010 at 07:06 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
Personally, I dont like justin bieber, but he is a very good singer. Same with disney musicians, I may not like their pacific genre but it doesn't mean there not good musicians. I heard demi lovato sing once and she was amazing!
It's called autotune. Those Dinsey kids do not sing, because they actually can't but for some reason Disney has it in their head that all of their kids have to be "singers" now. I'm not saying every Disney Channel star that sang couldn't sing. Christie Carlson Ramono was on Broadway! Raven could certainly sing, so could the girl who played Chealsea on her show, and Aly could and can sing, and I hope they let her on that new cheerleader show she's on. My point is I HIGHLY doubt you heard Demi Lovato sing live. And even if she can sing, the girl has dead eyes, she's got no performance skills, that's a big part of singing.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 08:56 PM

I agree, Disney does think that all their "stars" should be all around performers (singing,dancing,acting). Which in a buisness evrioment sounds good, but not everybody can perform to the level of profestional in all three, most poeple who can do 2 are considered to be rare.

And yes, I know what auto-tune is (pitch corection would be a better term).
Nearly every musician nowadays has had pitch corection used in their recordings, even if they had the perfect voice. It's so it will all blend together with the other tracks in the song (ie:bass, guitar, drums, synth, etc...)

And yeah, I heard her sing live. She didn't back track not one of her songs I heard, not even to cause an echo, harmony, or vocal boost effect. She is a very good natural singer.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Musical Talent - September 24th 2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -A- View Post
And yes, I know what auto-tune is (pitch corection would be a better term).
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what auto-tune was. I was just saying that that's why their "singers" sound possible. I think I worded it rudely and I apologize for that.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Musical Talent - September 25th 2010, 08:57 PM

Stuff that are talented, I always respect. I may not like but I respect. Bands like n-dubz, chipmunk etc. are not talented, and are also not good, so have none of my respect.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Musical Talent - September 25th 2010, 09:20 PM

well.. who is anyone to be the judge of who has talent and who doesn't? what one person thinks is amazing another might think is terrible. it's all about opinions.

as for respect. i have most respect for artists who write their own music, artists who play instruments, artists who do something a bit different. that's not to say that these manufactured pop bands are talent-less but i do have less respect for people who don't even write their own songs.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Halo345 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Musical Talent - September 25th 2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I didn't mean to imply that you didn't know what auto-tune was. I was just saying that that's why their "singers" sound possible. I think I worded it rudely and I apologize for that.
oh, haha Na, it's fine. That didn't faze me. I've been in music long enough that it takes a lot to get me to blink.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Musical Talent - September 27th 2010, 06:31 AM

I actually have a lot of respect for the girls on Disney. Many of them are good singers/actresses. Bridget(I can't remember her last name), Demi...etc. A lot of actresses/singers got their start on Disney Channel, and there's nothing wrong with that. (I love disney channel )

Anyway, I respect all music and genre even if I don't really like it. Except for techno, because I can't stand techno, the noise makes my head hurt. But otherwise, I respect all music, because who am I to say what talent is? Talent is different for every person, and every person has some form of talent.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Musical Talent - September 27th 2010, 09:42 AM

how did i know that bieber was going to be brought up in this thread

(#14 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Musical Talent - September 27th 2010, 11:41 AM

Generally, even if I don't like some of them, I do respect all genres of music. Anyone who has the skill to write a song, sing, and/or perform deserves some credit. I couldn't do any of those things to save my life.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Musical Talent - September 27th 2010, 12:16 PM

Respect where respect is due. Bob Dylan is hardly known as being a brilliant singer, but when it comes to song-writing, he is one of the greatest.

To say that most music these days isn't worthy of respect just seems ignorant. Try looking harder. The charts are becoming ever more manufactured, but shouldn't we then be giving respect to the people writing those songs? They certainly sell well. Red One keeps producing hit after hit and now he has his own record label. David Guetta is another one, he's writing massive pop tunes for artists in the charts. I respect those guys cuz they know how to write a catchy hook and get their music heard.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Musical Talent - September 28th 2010, 04:04 AM

If the band/artist has talent (in my view), then I'll give respect where it's deserved. If the music is awful, poorly made and is incredibly simple or a complex disarray, I'm probably going to call them talentless and not have much respect for it. If the person at least writes their own music or part of it and plays at least an instrument of the band or has great singing, I'm going to have respect for that individual even if the rest of the band is talentless. There are some forms of music though where sometimes I cant understand what's being said because I'm unfamiliar with it, so I cant call them talentless but I find myself like any person, giving less respect.

As for whether I respect the genre, that doesn't matter to me because it's the individual artist/band I'm judging. Also, genres have "sub-genres" which can make it hard to say I love/hate a genre.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; September 28th 2010 at 04:34 AM.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Musical Talent - October 11th 2010, 02:22 AM

I do. And when you think about it, I don't think anyone has the right to define talent, really. Though I wouldn't say that using autotune and throwing in a drum machine track behind someone rapping about going to a party and having sex is talent.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Musical Talent - October 11th 2010, 03:10 AM

The only time I don't respect a band is when they demolish a cover song. If it's a Queen cover song, I already disrespect it because no one can amount to Queen. Other than that, I don't really disrespect bands that I don't like. If they're successful, they must be doing something right. And if I was a musician, I would play something that I enjoy playing, and as long as I get a paycheck at the end of the day, that's all that matters. If people think my music sucks, then that's perfectly fine with me.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
LittleFish Offline
Face-eating Alien
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Se-Se

Re: Musical Talent - October 11th 2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
If it's a Queen cover song, I already disrespect it because no one can amount to Queen.
Ay-f***ing-men!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Musical Talent - October 13th 2010, 12:44 AM

I respect any art form that does it's preticular art well (technical skill, talent ect.)

I respect ANY art form that can tell a meaningful message. (i.e. Say something about the human condition besides Sex, hooking up, and teenage love, rolling with my homies.)

I respect any art form that is unique, interesting, entertaining, and fun.

This is the list I use to critque books, poetry, movies, music, art, dance, and any other creative art. In that ordrer.

And Yes I have had some bands fail all three

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
Closed Thread