TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Editing out Islam - September 24th 2010, 07:43 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100924/...ducation_islam
dicuss

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Editing out Islam - September 24th 2010, 08:17 PM

This is why I personally think Board of Educations should not be made out of the common folk but people who have experience in the education system. From what I understood, someone else proposed so the board isn't endorsing it yet and anyone can propose anything.

Now, I'd like to point out that this is just one Board of Education in the USA and there are different regions in the USA. Not all regions are like the southern Bible Belt of the United States.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Editing out Islam - September 24th 2010, 10:13 PM

I second their decision, I see it everywhere in our book, they are trying to shove Islamic ideals down our throats. (Not to mention they always bash on Europe and Europeans).

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Editing out Islam - September 24th 2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
I second their decision, I see it everywhere in our book, they are trying to shove Islamic ideals down our throats. (Not to mention they always bash on Europe and Europeans).
Oh yes. This is definitely true.

America, the land of the free*

*Unless you're muslim.

(RAH) + (AH) + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA) + OOH + (LA) = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Editing out Islam - September 25th 2010, 12:39 AM

Are you?

But anyway. I think its pretty sad. My personal view is that history and any other (ESPECIALLY SCIENCE!) textbooks should be without a religious skew at all. At my school in England we had quite a lot of RE lessons on different faiths, which since most of us had gone to Christian primary school, were more useful than telling us what we already knew. However we then took RE GCSE which was a joke as it focussed only on Christianity (with questions such as 'What are your views on abortion?' when actually to get marks it meant 'What are Christian views on abortion? and quote the bible', not quite the same question). Anyway...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Editing out Islam - September 25th 2010, 02:14 AM

what they choose to do with there text books is there choice... if they want only christian beliefs in there books so be it...

i personally think school and religion should be completelly seperate you go to school to learn about history,math,science,etc.. if you want to learn about religion go to church or whatever..

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Editing out Islam - September 25th 2010, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Now, I'd like to point out that this is just one Board of Education in the USA and there are different regions in the USA. Not all regions are like the southern Bible Belt of the United States.
And thank goodness for that.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Editing out Islam - September 26th 2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
what they choose to do with there text books is there choice... if they want only christian beliefs in there books so be it...

i personally think school and religion should be completelly seperate you go to school to learn about history,math,science,etc.. if you want to learn about religion go to church or whatever..
Well, the issue is that the education system the Texas State Board oversees is the public school system for the state of Texas in the United States. I do not entirely know how the funding for the public schools in Texas go, but I am willing to bet that Henry the Atheist who has five kids and Patel the Indian who has no kids both pay tax money into the public school system.

So the school board is being idiots and mixing religion into their choice of textbooks for a public school but what I don't understand is if the decision is even binding as some members are due to leave the board soon so it would be a "different" board in my opinion. However, I think it was a Texas school board (it was a local school board) that Richard Dawkins went to interview in one of his television shows.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Editing out Islam - September 27th 2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
'Church' will only teach you about the religion or faith that you practice, not the ones that exist in the rest of the world. Religion is deeply rooted in history, and vice versa. If we can't teach anything related to religion, then we can't teach the crusades, the renaissance, anything at all about Africa, India, or China...Do you see where I'm coming from? Religion is part of history.

I took a World Religion class at a local college my last year of high school. It opened my eyes to things I didn't even know existed, and it barely even touched on my faith, if at all. We spent time on Christianity, Islam, Judism, Hindu faiths, Buddhism, etc. It was an amazing class, and I wish it was a requirement for every high school or college student, because it shows you things you would otherwise ignore. If you don't understand the world around you, if you live in ignorance, you'll never learn and move forward in life. History will keep repeating itself, and the world will stay fucked up. It seems to me that Texas has yet to learn this lesson that I learned when I was sixteen. If the world doesn't learn to accept what is different and to teach our children to accept what is difference, to teach our children tolerance, then we are all screwed.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread