TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 4th 2010, 02:13 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super duper day.

As many of you know - I was bullied when I was a kid. And that bullying really messed up a lot of my life. [And how I feel about myself] I'm still 'working through it' even to this day. So believe me - if you are a victim of bullying - YOU just found yourself a friend and ally!!

What I went through is why I'm a member of TH. [Read my profile page - if you like]

But back then - when I was a kid - there were no computers. [At least none to be found in anyone's home] Which means that there was no such thing as 'cyberbullying'.

Click on THIS to read a CNN REPORT called: "Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying!"

And then come back here and tell me what you think.

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies?
How would you stop it?!
CAN it be stopped?
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully?
Have you ever been cyberbullied?

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 4th 2010, 02:27 PM

Don't get me wrong I find bullying disgusting, I got bullied in school from when I was 14 until I left. The main reason I done so badly in school is thanks to bullying. I've just never understood cyber-bullying. The great thing about being online is that there's a block button, there isn't one in real life :/

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? Honestly I'd find it a lot easier to ignore than in real life
How would you stop it?! Block them
CAN it be stopped? Yes and no
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? Yes, in school.
Have you ever been cyberbullied? Sort of. A girl who bullied me in school commented on my bebo photo with "your face hurts lmao" (the caption was "love hurts" this was during my emo phase ) I blocked her.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 4th 2010, 03:03 PM

Bullying is really really sad. It's so wrong for people to bully others.

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? Try to ignore them

How would you stop it?! Block them

CAN it be stopped? I think it can, but it would be very difficult to.

Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? Yes many times

Have you ever been cyberbullied? Yes many times
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 4th 2010, 03:06 PM

I find bullying disgusting. I was bullied in middle school and a little bit in high school. But the thing is, you don't -have- to put up with it, and there -are- ways to stop it.
So now, to answer your lovely questions:

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? Print out copies of the e-mails/messages and send them to the proper authorities (especially if they're threats). Then, place the user on ignore/block.
How would you stop it?! The great thing about cyberbullying is that there's evidence to prove that it's happening. With "regular" bullying, you need someone to witness it happening. You also can't really "block" someone who bullies you in real life (not in cyberspace).
CAN it be stopped?
Yes it can. Cyberbullying is one of the easiest forms of bullying to stop. You can either block or ignore the people bullying you and on certain websites (such as facebook), there's an option that unless you are a friend of the person, you can't send them messages of any kind. On phones now, there are options to block any phone calls/text messages from unrecognized numbers (those that aren't in your address book), and you can also go to your cell phone provider and have the bully's number blocked.
Also, if parents would monitor their childrens' cyber activity and stay involved in their childrens' lives, both the bully and the victim will have some kind of action taken (despite the whole, "OMG, privacy!" thing) - cell phone providers have it set up so you can see exactly what phones are sending out as text messages and what texts are being recieved, for instance.
Unfortunately, one of the downsides is that if the bully realizes they've been blocked, it could become "old-fashioned" bullying, or they could just create multiple accounts under various names. Cell phones could be borrowed to send ugly messages, and -that- can be hard to stop, although most bullies realize that if you won't take their crap, they'll move on to someone new.
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? In the past, yes. The old-fashioned way, where no one was around to be a witness. It included being threatened to be beaten up and thrown over a railing 'til I was dead, and the "Kick Me" sign on the back, among other things.
Have you ever been cyberbullied? Actually, yes. By my brother, over text messages and facebook. How did I solve the problem? Deleted him from my friends list and blocked him. The text messages, I showed to my parents, and they took care of it.

One of the big problems I see with cyberbullying is that people just can't seem to help but to respond to the messages they get, and it continually escalates and creates a bigger problem. If you're a victim of cyberbullying, nip it in the bud. If it's a serious problem (such as being threatened), take a print-out of the e-mail/message/wall post or some other form of proof (the cell phone, the laptop, etc.) with you to the police station and report it. Get it taken care of right away, before it escalates.

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 4th 2010, 03:54 PM

Cyberbullying is so cowardly. it makes me so angry when i see people being so horrible online or through text. it's easy to be nasty through the keyboard. i'm not making excuses for bullies (i think it's inexcusable) but sometimes i don't reckon they understand how much it can hurt someone by making a stupid comment online.

i have been the victim of cyberbullying. through facebook and in the old days, bebo and myspace. one that sticks in my mind is when this girl posted a myspace bulletin about me because she was jealous that i was friends with her boyfriend. it seems insignificant now but i can still remember what she wrote about me. i won't say what she wrote cos it's pretty rude but you get the idea. a lot of my friends have experienced cyberbullying as well. mainly people starting petty arguments on facebook over nothing. what really annoys me is that they'd never say it to the persons face, they suddenly get all big when they're online. most recently i know a lot of people who have had abuse through formspring accounts.

sadly i don't think there is any way to completely put a stop to it. obviously there is the option to block people but that doesn't take away the problem. once the damage is done it's not easy to just 'forget about it' or 'ignore it.' i know that's what everyone says but when someone says something horrible about/to you it stays with you. i just hope that people can be more mature and realise that it's them that look stupid if they're being abusive to people online.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 04:58 AM

Before answering the questions, I find cyber-bullying to be cowardice and also find it to be something that gets over-played because dealing with it is very simple: ignore. It may not stop it but as long as you don't see it, it's no longer a problem, however, it seems many don't take this route as soon as they should or they become too worked up over it. The comments given may be hurtful but I felt that if someone was insulting you from a distance so they couldn't be immediately hit, I felt it was hard to actually believe they were bullies and not just spurting garbage. I have sympathy for those who are bullied in-person but generally, I have less sympathy for those bullied online (except for extreme cases that often have a lot of in-person bullying) because it is ridiculously simple to eliminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig
Use the ignore features available on the website and if the comments become threatening, especially if it alludes to something that will happen to me at school in the near future, I may print them out.

Quote:
How would you stop it?!
You cant unless the people who are doing the cyberbullying stop it. With the assumption that asking them to stop fails, simply ignore them or even delete your account. If you still want an account on the website that badly, make a new one but give substantially less information with no pictures so it cannot be identified to be you. Also, do not message or engage with those particular cyber-bullies.

Quote:
CAN it be stopped?
It can be stopped if the bullies choose to stop it. The problem if you know the bullies in-person is people can act more "macho" behind the safety of the Internet so even if they don't bully you at school, they still can resort to cyber-bullying. It has the problem though that if the bullies in-person don't stop, their cyber-bullying won't stop either so what has to be stopped is the person's overall will to bully. Online, people may make friends with others that they don't know in-person, so for these people, it's much easier to stop them: put them on ignore.

Quote:
I was a victim especially in grade school and high-school but I managed to get all of the bullies to quit. I suppose I'm thankful because many of them were not physical or extremely abusive otherwise.

Quote:
Not a lot but whenever I was, engaging the person didn't make it better so I did not allow that to happen for very long and simply put the person on ignore. I then had to deal with them in-person, which involved laughing at the person if they referred to their online antics because I found it to be so cowardice from a bully who is trying to make themselves seem "tough". Many people are more confident online and depending on the website, do more trolling. I found that sometimes it actually paid off to joke around with them online because it seemed so silly to start with and when they're laughing, I did too. Many times it was pretty funny and the bullying in-person became less and less, although that was never something I foresaw.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Last edited by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!; October 6th 2010 at 05:03 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 05:46 AM

I was bullied when I was younger, by neighbourhood children, and at work when I was older. Being bullied is not fun, at all.

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? There is an awesome thing called an ignore button.And if you can't escape from them, tell someone.
How would you stop it?! Making children more aware of bullying in general, and how to protect against all forms of bullying, would make it less likely to happen and preventable.
CAN it be stopped? In a sense, yes. Completely? Probably not. But the majority can be.
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? Yup.
Yup

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 07:23 AM

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? depends if there bullying me or one of my friends if its me i ignore them if its a friend ill stand up for them and tell the bully off..
How would you stop it?! make it a crime punishable with a few months in juvenile detention..
CAN it be stopped? probally but not completelly stopped..
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? i was bullied severly as a child....
a couple times...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 10:31 AM

I'd ignore them...

How would you stop it?!
I'd turn my computer off, block them, ignore them etc etc...

CAN it be stopped?
Yes, you just go round to their house and whack them in the face for being a prat...

Yes, I used to get bullied in primary school.

Nope, and even if people tried I wouldn't take it to heart. I known it's bad for me to say this but I question the intelligence of people who get so upset and offended by cyber bullying, there are plently of ways to stop it so it's your fault if it's ongoing...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
The Trickster
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 10:54 AM

You have to be pretty stupid to be a cyberbully. If you know the person you bully or they know you then the proof that you've done it can be so easily collected. If not, you will be blocked.

How would YOU deal with cyber bullies?
I'd report them if they were truly offensive. If just a nuisance, block them.

How would you stop it?!
For the site in general, strict rules and banning the culprits.
If for me in general, ignoring them, blocking them and reporting them would suffice.

CAN it be stopped?
No, on the internet you will always get the group that wishes to argue and fight and verbally attack people.
"Nothing has made us more stupid and more mean than the anonymity of the internet"

Not at the present, but it has happened. The first few years of school were Hell for me because of it.

Verbally attacked online a few times but nothing that I would define as bullying.

This is me forever...
  Send a message via MSN to Loki Silvertongue Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Silvertongue 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 12:22 PM

Another thing about cyber bullying is there IS proof. When you're bullied in school without any teachers around there's no real proof :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
Another thing about cyber bullying is there IS proof. When you're bullied in school without any teachers around there's no real proof :/
There is now, a lot of schools put CCTV cameras up everywhere now =/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 03:08 PM

How would you stop it?!
CAN it be stopped?

I would deal with cyberbullies by encouraging kids not to live through their profiles and disconnect. Why do they need a Myspace or a Facebook? It's a time waster and I honestly don't use mine anymore (South Park had it perfect in my opinion with their episode on Facebook). If it is something like AIM, change his or her settings to friends only.

It can only be stopped cyberbullying when the kids don't use the services they are being harassed on. It's hard and not easy and not using the services won't mean they won't be bullied in real life.

Have I been a victim of bullying? Yes. Cyberbulling? I don't think so, but I have been stalked before.

Plus I have seen adults take things posted online really personally. I guess I may be considered a cyberbully when I called this woman (around forty-five and my ex's girlfriend at the time's aunt who was raising the girl) immature when she called me a twat in my ex's blog. Then she threw up a Myspace blog about me so I then shredded her by pointing out how she could have been the bigger person, but instead she showed her true level of immaturity that went beyond what I had expected. I also questioned whether she was fit to be a parent judging how easily she became upset over something a sixteen-year-old posted on the Internet.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 05:50 PM

Anyone caught bullying needs to be repeatedly pepper-sprayed until they stop.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post

There is now, a lot of schools put CCTV cameras up everywhere now =/
yeah but a lot of bullying that goes on is verbal/rumour spreading, etc.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 6th 2010, 08:36 PM

I really think cyber-bullying is just bullying, where the bully is too coward to do it to their face (thats if they knew the victim) if someone gets cyber-bullied from someone they don't know...well I guess that just shows what a boring life the bully must have to pick on someone they don't even know.

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? Well I think it is easier to deal with than bullied say at school, I dont know though but that is how I THINK i'd feel. But there are block buttons on most sites, and I haven't come across a social networking site that doesn't have a contact us button or report abuse or something like that (there may be a few that don't have that, im not 100% sure) . If I was being bullied I would either avoid the site, delete my email or block them.

How would you stop it?! Well for cyber-bullying, it is rather hard to stop it, but for websites, maybe just strict rules and actually banning people. If the bully knows the victim, say they go to the same school, even if none of the bullying actually happens at school, the school should be notified and that person get more severe punishment.

CAN it be stopped? To be honest, no I dont think so. There can be numerous places that you can go and get support, there can be endless posters and advertising telling bullies to stop...but there are always going to be arguments that get out of hand and words flying everywhere. I think the thing is, when people get into fights, they say things they dont really mean, but one little comment can stick with someone for a long time...and even though it wasn't bullying...the victim could still feel intimidated by that person.

Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? I can't say I was ever 'bullied,' although 2 years ago a friend was really nasty to me, she turned everyone against me and made it obvious she hated me by just being a right dickhead (excuse my language) we are pretty close friends now, but one thing she said just made me hate myself very much, and because of her I became so self-conscious which half lead to the reason I am on this site in the first place. I asked her "Why can't you just like me, Is it my looks or something?" She said "Might be, yes" And that comment has stuck with me. I hated myself from then on and cried so much because I felt bad that mum had to look at me all the time. I was so happy before that and loved how I looked, now im sitting here...avoiding hospital because I developed an eating disorder last year...

Have you ever been cyberbullied? Nope I haven't

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 7th 2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Anyone caught bullying needs to be repeatedly pepper-sprayed until they stop.
I assume you did not think about that sentence before you posted it. I would be terrified if someone said that considering the wide range of ages bullying occurs such as a group of kids around four-years-old. Hopefully you wouldn't dream of using pepper-spray on four-year-olds. Especially when punitive measures aren't the best way to teach any animal or person.

Not to mention that not everyone is fully developed or has reached a stage where they can fully relate what actions they are doing could be hurting another person. Even younger teenagers are not fully developed mentally yet.
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 7th 2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
I assume you did not think about that sentence before you posted it. I would be terrified if someone said that considering the wide range of ages bullying occurs such as a group of kids around four-years-old. Hopefully you wouldn't dream of using pepper-spray on four-year-olds. Especially when punitive measures aren't the best way to teach any animal or person.

Not to mention that not everyone is fully developed or has reached a stage where they can fully relate what actions they are doing could be hurting another person. Even younger teenagers are not fully developed mentally yet.
Anyone over 13 is responsible for themselves if they bully. and of course I wasn't serious about ACTUALLY pepper spraying them, but if they bully, they need to be stopped. If they continue to bully, they need to be expelled. If it gets to the point of physical assault, I'd stand behind anyone who wants to hurt them back.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 7th 2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:

Anyone over 13 is responsible for themselves if they bully. and of course I wasn't serious about ACTUALLY pepper spraying them, but if they bully, they need to be stopped. If they continue to bully, they need to be expelled. If it gets to the point of physical assault, I'd stand behind anyone who wants to hurt them back.
I don't agree with anyone over 13. While they should know better, sometimes teenagers don't know better. Sometimes teenagers don't think or don't perceive it as being significant at the time. Sometimes they know what they are doing, but other times they just view it as messing around. Plus teenager relationships are so complex that there are people who dedicate their careers to the subject. A sixteen-year-old acts different from how a thirteen-year-old acts and that is only three years.
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 7th 2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
I don't agree with anyone over 13. While they should know better, sometimes teenagers don't know better. Sometimes teenagers don't think or don't perceive it as being significant at the time. Sometimes they know what they are doing, but other times they just view it as messing around. Plus teenager relationships are so complex that there are people who dedicate their careers to the subject. A sixteen-year-old acts different from how a thirteen-year-old acts and that is only three years.
So because they don't know they're doing wrong, that makes it okay? Bullshit. Punish them so they realise it's wrong.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 7th 2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:

So because they don't know they're doing wrong, that makes it okay? Bullshit. Punish them so they realise it's wrong.
I didn't say it was okay. Education and possible intervention is necessary. And the education should be on-going, not some one day seminar once a year that some schools do. Schools should address problems and situations using a variety of methods to help prevent and correct behavior.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 8th 2010, 03:04 AM

I used to have a problem where I was cyberbullied by grown adults in other parts of the country and world who I didn't even know, taking advantage of my low self-esteem and socializing difficulties I used to have when I was on a particular online community. What makes it ridiculous is that even with the full names and locations of these people, law enforcement failed to take any action against the harassment. I've even gotten emailed death threats and because it came from a foreign-hosted account they refused to do anything about it and even had the audacity to suggest that I threatened to kill myself.

In my opinion cyberbullying is definitely a real problem and people need to be informed about it. Cyberbullying and online harassment needs to be made a crime punishable by law in all 50 states and sites that refuse to cooperate or act as direct avenues of the problem (one of the harassers was actually one of the administrators) should be considered directly liable. More needs to be done to stop this and make the internet a safer place for all.

Last edited by FlyingTrue; October 8th 2010 at 03:10 AM.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Briana Offline
A strong fighter
I can't get enough

Name: Bri

Re: CNN REPORT: Children Unable to Escape Cyberbullying - October 8th 2010, 03:20 AM

How would YOU deal with cyberbullies? I am not too sure. That would be hard..but I watched Dr. Phil today and he said that cyberbullies can say it online but never in person.
How would you stop it?! um probably just make kids mroe aware of it. Set up consequences for it.
CAN it be stopped? Yes, I think there is a solution out there.
Have you been [OR are you NOW] a victim of a bully? I have. I was always bullied in my neighborhood, grade school, and a little in high school. I finally stood up for myself and got it to stop.
Have you ever been cyberbullied? Yes, I have. Freshmen year, two girls from my high school bullied me on Myspace. They wrote nasty comments. It hurt a lot, but I deleted the comments and tried to move on.

"We accept the love we think we deserve."
"In that moment, I swear, we were Infinite."
"There's an I in Illness
and a We in Wellness."

Closed Thread