TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Young people binge drinking. - October 4th 2010, 11:16 PM

I'm watching "Cherry Goes Drinking" I find it really really depressing :| Okay, I admit I used to drink when I was young (15/16) but I used to know when to stop. I very very rarely drink now as... tbh I don't like it anymore.

I understand how alcohol makes you more confident but am I the only one who thinks if you have low confidence you should try and fix it without alcohol? It just clouds the real problems.

When I go out with friends and I don't drink they always seem to tell me to drink and "have fun" I don't see why you need alcohol to have a good time with friends :|

I just see young girls at night where I live dressed like... well, excuse my language but complete sluts when going out drinking. Am I the only one who finds it sad?

I think this thread is turning into more of a rant so sorry about that What do you think of it?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 12:31 AM

I absolutely hate alcohol. I'm 20, gonna be 21 in March, and I have never had an interest in it. To me, I don't see a point in getting drunk. If you drink to relax, then I think that's understandable. But if you go out and party with friends, I think that you're using alcohol because your life is just boring and have nothing else to do with yourself.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
mIssIng:nO Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
I absolutely hate alcohol. I'm 20, gonna be 21 in March, and I have never had an interest in it. To me, I don't see a point in getting drunk. If you drink to relax, then I think that's understandable. But if you go out and party with friends, I think that you're using alcohol because your life is just boring and have nothing else to do with yourself.

ALot of people in college party and mantain a very high intellect, in fact, my family members do :P , one's double majored in uni and the other is in uni as well, so thats pretty weird to say, i can understand that some people shouldn't, but alot of people get wasted and go on in life, look at any uni.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 03:33 AM

I have never drank in my life and I never will. I see no point to drink. You don't have to drink to have a good time.
Drinking is harmful.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 03:53 AM

I don't see anything wrong with going out with friends to have some drinks. In fact drinking is actually healthy for you being drunk is not, but drinking a glass of red wine every day will improve your health significantly according to my doctor.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
I don't see anything wrong with going out with friends to have some drinks. In fact drinking is actually healthy for you being drunk is not, but drinking a glass of red wine every day will improve your health significantly according to my doctor.
Yea going out for a few drinks is fine....but its those 'few' drinks that can turn into 'a few more drinks' and then your out for the night. And there are so many things that can 'improve your health significantly' but who is going to afford a glass of wine a day!?! Also, there are better things for you than wine...for example water!
Basically, if you can control it, that is fine, but binge drinking is very very bad in my opinion, my mum does never drink and she is very healthy, i plan to follow her footsteps.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
Yea going out for a few drinks is fine....but its those 'few' drinks that can turn into 'a few more drinks' and then your out for the night. And there are so many things that can 'improve your health significantly' but who is going to afford a glass of wine a day!?! Also, there are better things for you than wine...for example water!
Basically, if you can control it, that is fine, but binge drinking is very very bad in my opinion, my mum does never drink and she is very healthy, i plan to follow her footsteps.
Indeed drinking is moderation is the best, but who said you have to go get wasted when you go out with your friends and have a few drinks? A "few" drinks can stay a "few" drinks it doesn't always turn into "a few more" it's called self control.
And I never said to replace water with wine, of course if you can't afford to buy wine than don't! You will obviously buy water instead but if you can afford it why not? My grandfather drinks a glass of wine and he is VERY healthy and I plan to follow his footsteps.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 08:33 AM

Just let people do what they want and let them suffer the concequences of their actions, they have to learn one day, they just need to be shown no sympathy the next day *mwhahaha*
I'm more against the government raising the taxes on alcohol to be honest...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 12:36 PM

The only things I drink anymore is WKD purely because it doesn't make me drunk. I haven't been "drunk" for about 5 months :/ I don't even know why I drink that, I suppose I actually like the taste of WKD.

(if you don't know what WKD is: http://www.wkd.co.uk/pages/agegate it's basically an alcopop)

Why is binge drinking so socially acceptable in Britain? I honestly feel like the odd one out for not doing it, it shouldn't be the case at all.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
jellyfish Offline
No Rest For The Wicked
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jen

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 12:54 PM

I dont think binge drinking to an extreme is accaptable at all.
I dont see the appeal of going out every weekend and getting sloshed, to make urself feel ill the same night and the next day?

But I will admit I binge drink to the point of being happily drunk, but this is on special occasions like birthdays etc. I dont go as far as making myself sick and passing out cold.

She flies with her
own wings

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 03:47 PM

I was watching this last night and was actually quite horrified myself.

Admittedly, at friends and special occasions, Ill have some alcohol, but not to the drunk point. Just a few glasses. Yes, at party's I normally let myself get drunk but it's not very often. Every few months.

It' just on it, they were getting drunk, literally every night. And it's like, they were going out at night late drunk, and it just seem to put them in so much danger.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#12 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 04:07 PM

I don't drink at all. And I think young people drinking AT ALL is unacceptable. Nevermind binge drinking.

I just think things have gone downhill, kids these days :/

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 04:37 PM

I don't have a problem with teenagers having a bit of a drink, but I just don't see the point in binge drinking. It's quite sad when someone says that "it's only been a good night out if you don't remember it". Surely that defeats the whole point O.o

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#14 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 06:00 PM

I have no problem with people drinking but I'm definitely not a fan of binge drinking, or just getting drunk in general really. To me it seems pointless. It's really an accepted part of culture here in Ireland though... people don't believe if you when you say you don't drink/get drunk.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 07:22 PM

I find binge drinking unacceptable my brother Stephen used to binge drink and it hurt the whole family. When a teen is binge drinking it's dangerous. When I was like 12,13 I would sneak whatever alcohol I could find. But I did it maybe once or twice what I did was put my life in danger. I can't have any alcohol AT ALL because of my medications I take 12 pills a day 20 if you count my extra medication so if I had any alcohol while on my meds i'd be in deep trouble

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 07:48 PM

I watched it too and found it really a bit sad. When I go out, I do drink and I do get drunk, and I go out at Uni 2 times a week. But it's nothing like that. I have a dance and a good time, I don't forget what I've done and I've never done something I've regretted really. I would never behave the way that some of those girls did. I drink because I just have a better time when I'm drunk.. does this mean I can't have a good time sober? NO. I just have a BETTER time. Does this mean I have no confidence? NO. Does this mean I don't work hard? NO. Does this mean I am boring/don't have other things to do? NO. It's also for me a big coping mechanism... I'm studying medicine at Uni and it is VERY HARD WORK. Medics have a reputation for being the people that party the hardest and it's completely true, we do! Alcohol is a big part of the social scene and if I was not drinking I'd feel somewhat excluded from that. Work hard, party hard.

Quote:
But if you go out and party with friends, I think that you're using alcohol because your life is just boring and have nothing else to do with yourself.
Well that is very closed minded (and niave) of you then!

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

Last edited by her_beautiful_mistake; October 5th 2010 at 07:53 PM.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

Why is binge drinking so socially acceptable in Britain? I honestly feel like the odd one out for not doing it, it shouldn't be the case at all.
I think binge drinking is not only socially acceptable in Britain but all over the world. Look at the advertisements for alcohol. Everyone on the ads look elegant and happy, you never see a drunken disorderly person on the advertisements that is what the teenagers see and they don't know their limites. Another reason is that alcohol is cheap and easily accessible at the stores, easy to access especially during holidays. They don’t even ask you for your ID when you go buy some, I remember when I was younger and my uncles got together in my house to watch a football game and during the game the beer ran out so they send my cousin and me to go buy some beers and we were both 15, the cashier at the store didn’t ask for ID or anything like if we were buying water.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 08:38 PM

Back when I smoked I got asked for I.D. 95% of the time. When I went to clubs with my friends (back when I was drinking now and then) I don't think I have ever been in one that didn't ask for I.D. They've cracked down on this a LOT more than before. I don't think it's helping us much as they'd like though :/ underage people will get alcohol no matter what. They will get an older friend to get them some, get a fake I.D., give someone outside a shop money to get them drink, get drink from their house etc.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 08:59 PM

I think the problem is probably linked to what appears to be a much lower level of self-confidence in teenagers/young people compared with previous generations. I may be generalising a lot - for which I apologise as that's not my thing - but within my own age group I've noticed a lot of people with much lower self-confidence than I would have expected in light of other factors (academic achievements, social life, activities etc.). Given that a lot of people I knew at university drank to "escape" (which makes it sound more dramatic than it probably was but hey...) or else to relax in social situations it does make me wonder about the whole confidence issue - and this is coming from someone who has got quite low self-confidence and has had for some time.

Anyone else notice this or is it just me thinking 2+2=5?

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Dedalus Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Joe

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 09:15 PM

When I was 15 through to 17 I recall that I developed the habit of drinking vodka straight. I purely wanted to get hammered, mainly because it was a relatively new experience and I always enjoyed the way people would say I was 'a hard drinker'. Remarkably I've only ever got sick twice and blacked out once - a lot of it was due to me enjoying the trying to stay focused under the pressur eof the cloud that descends on you when you're drunk - sometimes it would feel like I was walking through water.

I used to be quite violent under alcohol when I was younger too. I used to get in a few fights, try to barge my way into nightclubs and generally cause trouble. I drank because it was fun and because I just enjoyed it.

I did change a it when I was 17. I left the army, which was probably a help. I was also working and after work in London I'd head down with my mates to the pub and we'd have 3 or 4 pints of bitter (ale) and we'd just sit and chat and the girls we'd know would come over and we'd sit in the sun in the beer garden. That had a big impact on me and made drinking more social and took me away from the clubbing scene. I much prefer bitter, I avoid lager at all costs drinking only stout in Ireland and the only spirit I drink is gin & tonic.

Boxing also had an iimpact and stopped me drinking so often. I'll drink to talk and loosen up, but not much more than that.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 09:55 PM

"We live in an amazing, amazing world, and it's wasted on the crappiest generation of spoiled idiots. Everything is amazing and nobody is happy!"

- Louis CK

(#22 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 10:49 PM

i see nothing wrong with it let the kids have some fun..... a kid getting drunk isnt gonna cause the world to end are parents did it before us and there parents before them despite what they might say...

(#23 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 10:58 PM

So because our parents made mistakes, that makes it okay? I say we learn from it and progress as a species.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
i see nothing wrong with it let the kids have some fun..... a kid getting drunk isnt gonna cause the world to end are parents did it before us and there parents before them despite what they might say...
According to 2008, 37% of all fatal crashes were alcohol related. Giving kids cocaine is probably not going to cause the world to end, and just because our older generations did it doesn't mean it's okay. After slavery was illegal, did the next generation of people be like "hey, my grandfather did it and my dad...so it's cool"

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html

(#25 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
So because our parents made mistakes, that makes it okay? I say we learn from it and progress as a species.
why do you call it a mistake.... theress nothing wrong with alcohol unless your some moron who doesnt know his limits... its actually a great stress reliever i have used it as such and i get more relief from it then i have any pill...

(#26 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:

According to 2008, 37% of all fatal crashes were alcohol related. Giving kids cocaine is probably not going to cause the world to end, and just because our older generations did it doesn't mean it's okay. After slavery was illegal, did the next generation of people be like "hey, my grandfather did it and my dad...so it's cool"

http://www.alcoholalert.com/drunk-dr...tatistics.html
was i talking about drinking and driving..... i dont think i mentioned it...... nope just looked i didnt so your arguments completelly pointless...

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll
was i talking about drinking and driving..... i dont think i mentioned it...... nope just looked i didnt so your arguments completelly pointless...
Uh...what? This is what you said, and I quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ignorant-Troll
And I said that even a kid with cocaine isn't going to cause the world to end, but it will cause 37% of car fatalities! It's a pretty big statistic not to include. It is completely relevant to this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anti-Troll
why do you call it a mistake.... theress nothing wrong with alcohol unless your some moron who doesnt know his limits... its actually a great stress reliever i have used it as such and i get more relief from it then i have any pill...
And we're not talking about casual drinking. We're talking about binge drinking, which goes beyond casual drinking. So the argument that drinking is a "stress reliever" is irrelevant to the topic because we're not talking about casual drinking. Casual drinking is a stress reliever, getting drunk is "fun."

(#28 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 5th 2010, 11:55 PM

Except we're not talking about casual drinking. Hence the title 'binge drinking'.

(#29 (permalink)) Old
xxpaigiexx Offline
Up In The Clouds...
I can't get enough

Name: Paige

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 12:17 AM

Drinking and binge drinking has been made so acceptable these days when it's not. Think of all the drinks advertisements you see. They are persuading young people to go out and get drunk. I'd like to think I don't binge drink, I occasionally have a drink but I know when to stop and don't drink accesive amounts. When I was younger I did binge drink a lot and I do think a lot of that was peer pressure. I was a mess back then and I didn't know when to stop.
If you see some of these drinks promotions, it's cheap to get drunk. I work in a bar and if there is something they need to clear stock wise they make it super cheap. You can buy some bottles of beer for a pound. Every week there's another bar near me that sells their pints for one pound or one pound fifty and for those prices young people can afford to get drunk. Working in a bar has made me see how bad alcohol can affect you. There are people that come in at 9am on the dot to begin drinking and that makes me feel physically sick. There are regulars that are in pretty much every day without fail, they buy cheap drinks to get drunk quickly. It quite frankly makes me feel sick and I'm not a big fan of alcohol anymore.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Except we're not talking about casual drinking. Hence the title 'binge drinking'.
im assuming by binge drinking you mean getting totally wasted multiple nights in a row....

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 12:28 AM

I think binge drinking is just pathetic.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 12:36 AM

i don't see a problem unless people are drink driving, then it obviously is a serious problem. if they're not harming anyone else i don't see how it's any of anyone else's business. i mean i don't agree with smoking but if other people want to smoke i don't care. some people need to get off their high horse.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#33 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losing touch. View Post
i don't see a problem unless people are drink driving, then it obviously is a serious problem. if they're not harming anyone else i don't see how it's any of anyone else's business. i mean i don't agree with smoking but if other people want to smoke i don't care. some people need to get off their high horse.
finally a reasonable comment by someone

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Young people binge drinking. - October 6th 2010, 01:30 AM

Eh, if people are going to do something stupid then they should ingest marijuana. At least a person can't overdose on marijuana.

It's sad, but I can't relate. I don't drink but my boyfriend was addicted to alcohol due to not having pain medication because his mom was concerned he would become addicted to pain meds.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
Closed Thread