TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Omen. Offline
Laughter. Faith. Hope.

Jeez, get a life!

Question Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 09:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Do you think that suicide is selfish? In some ways I do think suicide is selfish because the people who do commit it are leaving behind pain and agony for their family and friends to feel and in some cases their family have to deal with their problems. But in other cases, if they have nothing and I mean literally nothing to live for then I don't think it's selfish. And if they really are in agony to the point where they just can't seem to feel happiness and the agony in which they are feeling is constant and painful they I think it's reasonable.
But then again, no-one is to judge when suicide is acceptable because it's not their own decision. For example, yesterday one of my friends had a go at me because I told him that I was depressed and suicidal. He said that suicide was selfish and I was only saying that to get attention from him which I wasn't going to get. I wasn't saying that for attention...I really was feeling that way. He had no right to say that to me. He himself has gone through tough times in the past though he hasn't really told me what they were. But the thing is he doesn't really know what I've personally been through.
So do you think it is selfish?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Sin Offline
*pixie in training*
Not a n00b

Name: Sinead

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 11:09 AM

I think suicide is very very selfish. You have no idea how its going to affect other people. Your just leaving behind everyone else to clean up your mess.

But i dont believe its taking the easy way out. I think its one of the hardest decisions someone has to make. And most of the time you have no idea why they decided to do it.

At the end of the day who are you to say that someone else should live just because you want them to.

But so many people are looking to me
to be strong and to fight

but i'm just surviving
and I may be weak but I'm never defeated

and I'll keep believing
in clouds with that sweet silver lining

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 11:15 AM

I think that suicide is extremely selfish.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 11:48 AM

i dont consider it selfish...

if a person has reached a point in there life where they can no longer cope with there problems. its not right to say its selfish cause they ended something they couldnt handle..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 11:51 AM

I actually don't. If someone is so unbelievably depressed they decided to die then at least they aren't hurting anymore. Sure, if a friend of mine killed themselves I would be horrified but like I said at least they aren't hurting anymore.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
The Trickster
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 12:30 PM

It's a selfish act yet an understandable one. In many cases people are left behind, wondering whether it was their fault, whether they could have done something, why didn't they spot something was wrong.
Yet when all the problems in life have piled up and it seems as if there is no light at the end of the tunnel and it feels as if there is no one there for you. Then it seems as if suicide is the only way out.
It's not the easy way out... but it's not the hardest way either.

This is me forever...
  Send a message via MSN to Loki Silvertongue Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Silvertongue 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 12:56 PM

There was a thread about this not long ago that you could search for and read. Most people's answers haven't changed.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Rtn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 01:00 PM

I believe it is a natural human right, but thats not to say that people shouldn't try to find reasons to live. Also I dont think its selfish at all, if your rational, you would think that is also selfish to want to keep that person alive just so you can still have them around, even though their pain (emotional or physical) is probably beyond the comprehension of others.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 01:03 PM

I do agree with that. I think if people honestly don't want to live why should they have to? :/ It's their life.

Don't get me wrong I think they should try everything in their power to make their lives better first.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
I actually don't. If someone is so unbelievably depressed they decided to die then at least they aren't hurting anymore. Sure, if a friend of mine killed themselves I would be horrified but like I said at least they aren't hurting anymore.
Most people would be hurting others - their friends, family etc.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 01:58 PM

I have something about this in my blog somewhere.
Sure, it could be seen as selfish to the people left behind.
But, forcing someone to live when they're in that much pain? Just so you don't have to lose them? That sounds kind of selfish to me too.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 02:55 PM

As humans, I think we all experience depression at one point or another. But I believe that suicide is irrational behavior. Depression is one thing, but suicide is something completely different. Because I believe that suicide is irrational, there's many things wrong with suicide:

1. Because suicide is irrational, it is an ignorant choice. Committing suicide makes you ignorant because depression over-exaggerates our problems. We think our problems are so bad that it justifies wanting to end our lives. In actuality, your problems are no different than any other person's problems. Many women are abused, many women are raped, many people suffer with obesity, etc. If you look at other parts of the world, you'll realize that USA, Canada, many other countries have it pretty easy. Statistically, USA isn't the most depressed country in the world. If you think USA or Canada is bad, try living in Africa, or even parts of the world that always have cold weather. Those countries and continents aren't exactly a ray of sunshine. According to 2008 suicide statistics, Canada and US rank 10th and 12th place, with US having 19-20 male suicides per 100,000 population. In Lithuania and the Russian federation, over 70 males out of 100,000 population have committed suicide.* No matter what you've been through, there are people out there who have it worse than you do and yet manage to live their lives. If they can do it, there's no reason why you can't. If you think there's a reason why you can't, then why don't you move to Lithuania, or parts of Africa that suffer with disease and poverty and get back to me on that.

2. With that being said, it is slightly selfish to commit suicide. If you've made the committed decision to commit suicide, then it's obvious that you haven't weighed your options. Regardless of what your mind tells you, suicide is an option/a choice; suicide is not an obligation. Like I said earlier, depression is one thing while suicide is another. Suicide is slightly selfish because you are not only letting a temporary problem control your will to live, but you most likely will refuse people's advice and assume that your life is just unbearable to deal with, that no one understands your pain, and even then...at the end of the day, you still probably believe that no one cares about you. It's not like anyone would miss you when you're dead, right? So it is slightly selfish. I say slightly because suicide has nothing to do with whether you care about yourself more than other people. In my eyes, you don't care about yourself at all. You don't care about yourself, and you don't care about anyone.

Like I said earlier, suicide is irrational behavior. When you're in the state of mind that you'd rather be dead than alive, your mind clouds your judgment and makes you believe stupid things...that no one cares about you, that your problems are worse than everybody elses and that no one understands you, that there's no other options, and all that shit. But in actuality, that's not the case at all. The secret to conquering your depression is learning how to deal with it. When we want to commit suicide, it's not our minds telling us to commit suicide because we're worthless anyway, our mind is trying to tell us that we're taking a step in the wrong direction with our depression, and we need to get our shit together.

* - http://fathersforlife.org/health/who_suicide_rates.htm

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 02:59 PM

I've always said it's not an act of selfishness, it's one of desperation. It's not that the person wants to hurt others by doing it or that they don't understand that it will hurt someone(although sometimes they just don't see that it would), It's that they feel they have no other options because even though they have them depression or other mental illness clouds their minds and they can't see the other options.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#14 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 03:55 PM

Its an act of desperation, but it's still selfish. Its thinking that your problems are worse than everyone elses, and not caring about the mess you leave behind. You have the right to kill yourself, but that does not make it right.

Interesting Fact Of The Day: Suicide rates are higher in men than women in almost every 1st world country.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 04:30 PM

Suicide is the most selfish act a person can commit. I find it completely unforgivable. Oh and pathetic, it's definitely pathetic. Nothing and I mean NOTHING is so bad that you can't find a way out of it if you truly want to. I think that people who commit suicide do it because they don't want to get better. They don't want their lives to be fixed.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Forever we'll just lay here
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Vint Fall

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 09:11 PM

good question... it is and it's not. once you think no one wants to die, and that's for sure. people who commit suicide aren't themselves the moment they think that way. depression wins them over, if i must say that way. :/ it's not their fault, you know. so i state that suicide isn't selfish because it's caused by sickness of a mind(not in an insulting way though).

BUT it's selfish because while you think of committing suicide, they don't think what happens if they do, if your going to hurt others, what you and they will miss. and you think too fast, which is wrong. i'd rather say that the people who made you want to commit suicide are more selfish. what can i say, it all connects to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Interesting Fact Of The Day: Suicide rates are higher in men than women in almost every 1st world country.[/size]
that's because guys get hurt easier, followed by 5 times harder depression than for the female side. and i think that there are more guys in the world too. maybe that affects the percentage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
I do agree with that. I think if people honestly don't want to live why should they have to? :/ It's their life.

Don't get me wrong I think they should try everything in their power to make their lives better first.
i agree with you, if you cannot help yourself first, you cannot help others. everyone has a choice, to live or not to live. i'm not a selfish person though i think that people shouldn't be too kind to others, just to be themselves.

oops, sorry, off the topic. but yeah, you get the point.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

Last edited by Twinge; October 7th 2010 at 09:20 PM.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 09:39 PM

Yes selfish, cowardly and a waste of the greatest gift in the world. We ALL have problems and rather than dealing with them someone who commits suicide is just avoiding them altogether and taking the easy way. You only hurt the people who care about you.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 09:56 PM

I don't think suicide is selfish. It is a sign of mental disease and it needs to be addressed. People really think they have no way out and tend to believe the world would be better or the world wouldn't notice.

There are different types of suicides too. I don't think depression suicide is selfish ultimately, but it should be stopped and people should try to get help for them.

To ease pain or prevent deterioration is also debatable. One thing that scares people (since I am in the medical field) is that I wouldn't want to receive rounds and rounds of chemo if I had cancer. I would try at most two treatments before preparing for hospice care. People in America tend to think that the best medical care is sometimes the best, but sometimes we are just prolonging life by months or weeks. Plus some of the doctors and nurses I have talked with seem scared to consider that there is a time when you can't help the patients. (I am not sick nor have I ever been in a position where I may die).
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 7th 2010, 11:34 PM

I know that when I have wanted to commit suicide, at times it has been not because I did not want to deal with the problem, but rather I felt that hey if I am dead then people would not have to worry about me bugging them with my issues. At that point, I am not sure because the person( as stated above may believe that the world would be better without them.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 01:05 AM

This has come up so often in discussions even at my school. I can see why it is sort of a selfish act, but I do not think people who commit suicide are selfish. I dont know, but if anyone reading this has depression, you will know how down you can feel at times...you may have even threatened to kill yourself, but there was that little thing inside of you that stopped you killing yourself, well imagine how horribly down people must be to actually carry out that act.
If one of your friends killed themselves, would you really go round calling them selfish? I know I wouldn't.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 01:17 AM

I do not think suicide is selfish. Yes, people who commit suicide are hurting their friends and family who are left behind, but you have to understand, they can't see any other way out. They feel trapped and abandoned. Sometimes, they don't even think anybody will care if they're dead. Some even wish to end it so as to stop being a "burden" to their loved ones. Is that really selfish?

Depression obscures your clarity of vision so that any problems that one may have are amplified tenfold. They can't see any way out. They can't see that people really do care about them. Suicide is not an act of cowardice or selfishness but of desperation. It's not that they don't want to get better, it's that they don't know how. The answer might seem blatantly obvious to a healthy person -- go to a therapist, tell someone, etc. But a depressive person cannot always see it that way. As Brandon said, suicide is irrational, which I won't deny. It is. The entire mindset of a depressed person is irrational. I've been there. So how could anyone expect them to come to the conclusion of seeking help for their problems when they're in such a mindset?

(#22 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Silver View Post
I do not think suicide is selfish. Yes, people who commit suicide are hurting their friends and family who are left behind, but you have to understand, they can't see any other way out. They feel trapped and abandoned. Sometimes, they don't even think anybody will care if they're dead. Some even wish to end it so as to stop being a "burden" to their loved ones. Is that really selfish?

Depression obscures your clarity of vision so that any problems that one may have are amplified tenfold. They can't see any way out. They can't see that people really do care about them. Suicide is not an act of cowardice or selfishness but of desperation. It's not that they don't want to get better, it's that they don't know how. The answer might seem blatantly obvious to a healthy person -- go to a therapist, tell someone, etc. But a depressive person cannot always see it that way. As Brandon said, suicide is irrational, which I won't deny. It is. The entire mindset of a depressed person is irrational. I've been there. So how could anyone expect them to come to the conclusion of seeking help for their problems when they're in such a mindset?
Well depression is not a permanent disorder. You get over it, whether with help or just by yourself. I've been depressed. I've been through that time where life sucked and no one was ever going to care and nothing was going to work, and then I got over it. There are plenty of people with horrible depression that don't commit suicide, so what makes the people who do it so special. I know, they are selfish! You'd have to never go on the internet, watch TV, or function in society to not know that there are ways to get over depression. It's not an issue of not knowing how, it's not wanting to. It's giving up.

I would never forgive a friend or family member who committed suicide. I would always think that they were incredibly selfish. But that doesn't mean I would stop loving them, I'd just be super pissed. It's an inexcusable act.

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#23 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
There are plenty of people with horrible depression that don't commit suicide, so what makes the people who do it so special. I know, they are selfish!.
If you get two people with depression, they are not going to be feeling the exact same. Anyone with depression would know how low they can feel and may have even said "i am going to kill myself" but they have never actually done it, imagine how much worse someone would have to feel to actually take that step and kill themselves. People who commit suicide usually think no one cares about them so taking their own life will make everyone else happy. They dont understand, why? I KNOW, they have a mental illness! No, they aren't selfish.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Well depression is not a permanent disorder. You get over it, whether with help or just by yourself. I've been depressed. I've been through that time where life sucked and no one was ever going to care and nothing was going to work, and then I got over it. There are plenty of people with horrible depression that don't commit suicide, so what makes the people who do it so special. I know, they are selfish! You'd have to never go on the internet, watch TV, or function in society to not know that there are ways to get over depression. It's not an issue of not knowing how, it's not wanting to. It's giving up.

I would never forgive a friend or family member who committed suicide. I would always think that they were incredibly selfish. But that doesn't mean I would stop loving them, I'd just be super pissed. It's an inexcusable act.
When people commit suicide, they aren't thinking clearly. They aren't in their right mind.
They aren't being selfish.
Their view of reality is skewed.
It is a sad thing. And anyone who has been suicidal understands that they weren't thinking clearly.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post

When people commit suicide, they aren't thinking clearly. They aren't in their right mind.
They aren't being selfish.
Their view of reality is skewed.
It is a sad thing. And anyone who has been suicidal understands that they weren't thinking clearly.
i'm not suicidal, maybe i thought once about it though... but i met a lot of people in that state and i can say it depends on the situation, if it's that bad that you can't imagine, like they see no way out of it. i also understand those who prefer saying suicidal people are selfish etc. i'd rather say "blank - fast minded".

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 05:26 AM

I don't think that the motive to commit suicide would be selfish. After the act, yes, it would seem like this person was selfish in the sense that they left everyone to deal with it. But I think that if someone is hurting so bad they want to do that to themselves, their intentions are not selfish.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star's Heart* View Post
i'm not suicidal, maybe i thought once about it though... but i met a lot of people in that state and i can say it depends on the situation, if it's that bad that you can't imagine, like they see no way out of it. i also understand those who prefer saying suicidal people are selfish etc. i'd rather say "blank - fast minded".
All people who commit suicide feel there is no way out of it, no one commits suicide if they see hope, obviously like you did. YOu said you thought about it, but didn't do it, that means that there would have been some ray of hope inside your head. When people commit suicide, you can't say "well that person wasn't selfish because there was no way out of it for her, but that person was being selfish because it wasn't that bad for her"

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 07:49 AM

Suicide is the most selfish act one can ever commit and it's one that shows plain weakness. It's selfish and shows weakness for the same reasons: the person gives up all hope and takes a permanent solution to a temporary problem. I don't want to say they don't think of family before they kill themselves because certainly some or possibly all do (i.e. suicide notes). I don't forgive someone whom I love who would commit suicide, I would feel sadness, anger, stress, etc... shortly after they did but these feelings would subside. My view that they're selfish and showed such weakness would never change though, however, I do have sympathy for the person in that they weren't thinking in a clear mind when they did it due to the mental illness.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#29 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 10:02 AM

I think it's absolutely selfish and I don't get how people can argue that it's not. EVERYBODY has problems. Everybody experiences pain. But we don't all go and kill ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I have been suicidal. Was for many, many years. But I never went through with it because I knew how selfish and disgusting it would be to do so. Yeah, I was going through a lot of pain But I would MUCH rather go through that pain then inflict ANY pain on my friends and family. My dad has attempted seriously three times this year, and I still haven't forgiven him. Yes, I still love him as much as ever but what he was doing was selfish. Of course people aren't in the right state of mind when they're suicidal, but they are, in my opinion, in a selfish state of mind. Depression is not a permanent illness, and killing yourself is taking the easy way out and leaving all the pain and guilt for the people you supposedly loved to deal with.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post
All people who commit suicide feel there is no way out of it, no one commits suicide if they see hope, obviously like you did. YOu said you thought about it, but didn't do it, that means that there would have been some ray of hope inside your head.
of course i see hope and positive sides for all people who feel like committing suicide, not just for myself. but yes, i know that it's unconsciousness just out of theory and by hearing stories, not that i ever experienced that feeling. therefore, i didn't say i know the exact thing as them.

Quote:
When people commit suicide, you can't say "well that person wasn't selfish because there was no way out of it for her, but that person was being selfish because it wasn't that bad for her"
i didn't say it like that, but that they didn't see what they cause by suicide(not just including death to themselves). blanking mind, not being themselves, losing all hope (as you said above) is understandable. thinking it's completely selfish would be kind of shallow, don't you think?

also, i dunno the situation but i guess it all depends on it, not in my eyes to judge the person, but in HER eyes. if she cannot help herself, no one can. we simply help her help herself then, and we don't do that by saying it's selfish.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 03:50 PM

I don't really see how it is that selfish. If someone chooses to take their own life, it obviously shows just how upset and depressed they were with how things were for them. It shows their desperation for the release of their upsetting lives. I understand that it would affect the people around them. But I don't think they should be called selfish because of their decision. Yeah, it's not that nice and very unfortunate for them, but they can't put the blame on the person who decided to end their life.

But I still don't think that suicide should be the answer for anyone.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post
I don't really see how it is that selfish. If someone chooses to take their own life, it obviously shows just how upset and depressed they were with how things were for them. It shows their desperation for the release of their upsetting lives. I understand that it would affect the people around them. But I don't think they should be called selfish because of their decision. Yeah, it's not that nice and very unfortunate for them, but they can't put the blame on the person who decided to end their life.

Um who do you put the blame on then? It's nobodys fault but the person that decides to end their own life, because that is there choice.

But here let's say this. Suicide, the act, is selfish. I mean it just is it's a selfish act there's no way around it. The people who commit suicide, maybe they aren't selfish, they are just weak and pathetic. That any better?

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylalatbh. View Post

It does show how upset and depressed they were but it also shows how weak and selfish they were. Why cant the person be blamed for their suicide? They're the one responsible for it. Even though they're dead, they were the one who put themselves to that state. If others were making them sad or even encouraging suicide, they weren't responsible because they didn't make the person kill themselves. Everyone who does something is accountable for that something, whether it's positive or negative. Suicide isn't an exception to this (doesn't matter if it's viewed as positive or negative).

It shows weakness because they couldn't stay in life and keep trying different alternatives or just weather the storm. The temporary problem can be fixed, just they choose to give up on that.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 08:08 PM

I can understand why people would think its selfish. But persoanlly, after going through attempting, and having loved ones attempting, I never thought of myself or them being selfish. Perhaps for them it was a cry for help or possibly because actually they didn't know what they were doing, they were so lost in their own thoughts, that the only thing which made it feel like it could be better, at the moment in time, was to end it. Of course, it made me angry when I found out my parents tried to kill themselves and the same for my sister, but I'd never hate them for it because I think it's selfish. You don't chose it. Its a way out for them. No, its not okay to kill yourself, I wouldn't advise it or agree with it, but its just how it is.

I think everyone has different opinions on this, and I don't believe there is an 'answer' at all.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#35 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 08:41 PM

I know this is NOT suicide and NOWHERE near as bad, but I put my mum through hell by having an eating disorder, I reckon I broke my parent's hearts and made it so so hard for them. Now to me that sounds very selfish, but its not really anyone's fault as I didn't choose this, it is a mental illness and I couldn't really just tell myself to be normal, if that makes any sense? Well its like that for a suicidal person, they are mentally ill and it is not their fault, you can hardly blame someone for being selfish when they are ill like that.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 09:06 PM

Emma said it quite well.

Really, the act itself is selfish, though the intent isn't meant to be such. It's not the same as like, eating all the cookies so your siblings can't have any, if you get what I mean.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#37 (permalink)) Old
Twinge Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -ArcAngel- View Post
Emma said it quite well.

Really, the act itself is selfish, though the intent isn't meant to be such. It's not the same as like, eating all the cookies so your siblings can't have any, if you get what I mean.
agreed. not like they WANT to commit suicide just selfishly attract attention, completely different. or speaking of any other mental illness/state, when they just don't know what they're missing behind and facing in front of themselves.

I moved back while
my head was turned.

Upside down
closer to the end.

Afraid of the dark
within future times.

I'm drowning there,
my final chase.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 8th 2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseThisLight View Post
I think it's absolutely selfish and I don't get how people can argue that it's not. EVERYBODY has problems. Everybody experiences pain. But we don't all go and kill ourselves. Don't get me wrong, I have been suicidal. Was for many, many years. But I never went through with it because I knew how selfish and disgusting it would be to do so. Yeah, I was going through a lot of pain But I would MUCH rather go through that pain then inflict ANY pain on my friends and family. My dad has attempted seriously three times this year, and I still haven't forgiven him. Yes, I still love him as much as ever but what he was doing was selfish. Of course people aren't in the right state of mind when they're suicidal, but they are, in my opinion, in a selfish state of mind. Depression is not a permanent illness, and killing yourself is taking the easy way out and leaving all the pain and guilt for the people you supposedly loved to deal with.

This. I agree. 100%

(#39 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 9th 2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Um who do you put the blame on then? It's nobodys fault but the person that decides to end their own life, because that is there choice.

But here let's say this. Suicide, the act, is selfish. I mean it just is it's a selfish act there's no way around it. The people who commit suicide, maybe they aren't selfish, they are just weak and pathetic. That any better?
Anyone who commits suicide is weak and pathetic? Having not been in their positions, how can you possibly say that? What if there's a girl who has been sexually and physically abused by her father all her life? Would you call her weak for committing suicide after having to deal with that kind of suffering all of her life?

People who go as far as to commit suicide are obviously not mentally well. They honestly can't see another option. They don't think of it as taking the easy way out, they think of it as the only thing they can do. If someone is that unwell that they truly want to commit suicide, I don't think they can be called selfish because they aren't really making a choice. I think it's a bit like calling a baby or a cat selfish when really they don't have the brain function to make the choice to be selfish.

That being said, I think there are some people out there who commit suicide because they are selfish. Some people commit suicide because they want to punish someone else or because they've done something horrible and don't want to deal with the consequences. But I don't think all people who commit suicide are selfish.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Is suicide selfish? - October 9th 2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie'Lou View Post

I think everyone has different opinions on this, and I don't believe there is an 'answer' at all.
Hence why it's a debate.

Quote:
I know this is NOT suicide and NOWHERE near as bad, but I put my mum through hell by having an eating disorder, I reckon I broke my parent's hearts and made it so so hard for them. Now to me that sounds very selfish, but its not really anyone's fault as I didn't choose this, it is a mental illness and I couldn't really just tell myself to be normal, if that makes any sense? Well its like that for a suicidal person, they are mentally ill and it is not their fault, you can hardly blame someone for being selfish when they are ill like that.
When you had the eating disorder, perhaps you weren't thinking in a right state of mind, I'll agree there. However, the blame still is on you for not eating (or whatever the actions were). Having a mental illness is no excuse for having no responsibility of their actions (with exceptions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

Anyone who commits suicide is weak and pathetic? Having not been in their positions, how can you possibly say that? What if there's a girl who has been sexually and physically abused by her father all her life? Would you call her weak for committing suicide after having to deal with that kind of suffering all of her life?
Since when is it necessary for one to have experienced the action in debate? If they've had experience one can argue their opinion may carry more weight than someone who had no experience and hasn't researched it but their views still have some weight. Debate is open to anyone, not only to those who have directly experienced it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
I don't think they can be called selfish because they aren't really making a choice. I think it's a bit like calling a baby or a cat selfish when really they don't have the brain function to make the choice to be selfish.
So if someone commits suicide, they have no responsibility at all regarding the CHOICE they made. It is a choice, they thought about it and they did it, hence it's a choice. A cat CHOOSES to do certain things based on thinking.

Are you calling people who are depressed or have another mental illness and commit suicide as being neurologically impaired, such as mentally retarded? It seems so when you compare their neurological functioning to that of a "lower" animal. What happens when their mental illness is gone or the symptoms are drastically reduced they don't impair them or are remotely visible? Does their neurological function improve and are they now a person in that they hold responsibility for their actions? Almost everyone is responsible for their actions. Being depressed or having an eating disorder does not take away responsibility, not legally, not morally and not in society. They still have to pay their bills, still have to face the consequences at school/work and take the blame.

Closed Thread