TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 10th 2010, 09:48 PM

Hard to believe these types of things happen in America...
http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming....student.wired/
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 10th 2010, 09:57 PM

Hard to believe? I am not surprised by this at all. America isn't all that "free" if you really look deeper.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 10th 2010, 10:16 PM

Wow interesting story with a good ending.
Quote:
"We have all the information we needed," they told him. "You don't need to call your lawyer. Don't worry, you're boring. "
They shook his hand and left.
But Afifi's attorney who works for the council on American Islamic relations said that after learning about his case, other lawyers already had 2 other stories relating this. Just image how many more stories there is of the FBI tracking either American Islamic people or any other race that is not considered the normal American one.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 10th 2010, 10:30 PM

My God! That's like 9/11 times 1,000!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 10th 2010, 10:43 PM

This really isn't shocking.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 11th 2010, 04:15 AM

But it's still horribly wrong.

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Crazy Filmmaker Offline
Not a n00b

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 11th 2010, 09:47 AM

this is wrong, yet not surprised one bit US is really jacked up anyways

Young man control in your hand
Slam your fist on the table
And make your demand
Take a stand
Fan a fire for the flame of the youth
Got the freedom to choose
You better make the right move

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 11th 2010, 09:50 AM

I knew there was a reason I didn't like America as a country D=

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 11th 2010, 09:56 AM

The Patriot Act signed by none other than Mr. Bush have pretty much blurred the line of right and wrong in terms of many things in terms of behaviors of government agency. As long as it is "for the good of U.S.", nothing is wrong in the government's eye. They would go as far as molesting other people's freedom in the very name of protecting "freedom". Make sense? No. But it is still in place.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 11th 2010, 11:31 PM

Sounds fair to me, if he did nothing wrong he shouldn't be afraid of the FBI.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Antihero
I've been here a while

Name: Ghost

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 02:57 AM

I hate that logic. If the FBI had anything on him they could have obtained a warrant. I for one would hate to have my car bugged, phone tapped, home searched etc. I'm not a terrorist, but I'm not perfect either -- none of us are. I guess the FBI might not care if I had a bag of weed laying around, but still...

The neon burns a hole in the night, and the Freon burns a hole in the sky.
You can find my kind living right on the fault line, eyes on the seaside, lives on the B-side, kites on the power lines.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
I hate that logic. If the FBI had anything on him they could have obtained a warrant. I for one would hate to have my car bugged, phone tapped, home searched etc. I'm not a terrorist, but I'm not perfect either -- none of us are. I guess the FBI might not care if I had a bag of weed laying around, but still...
that means that the US is breaking the law, maybe we can finally get them for it

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Zyzz Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Theory View Post
The Patriot Act signed by none other than Mr. Bush have pretty much blurred the line of right and wrong in terms of many things in terms of behaviors of government agency. As long as it is "for the good of U.S.", nothing is wrong in the government's eye. They would go as far as molesting other people's freedom in the very name of protecting "freedom". Make sense? No. But it is still in place.
they have been doing it for years before that, just they signed it to make it public they are doing it and show they have more power

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost On The Highway View Post
They don't need a warrant to do stuff like this thanks to the 9th US Court of Appeals.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 05:30 AM

I think that corruption is in human nature. From a Biblical perspective, human beings have been corrupt since Adam and Eve. So I believe that "with power, comes corruption." Is it right the FBI or any government agency abuses their power? Of course not. But we have to keep in mind that it's not just them. I think that people neglect the fact that we're not perfect either. Just like the government, we manipulate the truth, we lie, sometimes we're abusive. The only difference between the individual and the government is that our corruption isn't magnified. If I gave free mammograms and claimed that I was a professional but really only wanted to do it for personal satisfaction of touching boobies, my situation wouldn't matter that much compared to government agencies abusing their powers. Which makes sense. Ideally, we want people to be fair when we give them power, but I really think that we're naturally corrupt. So we can't honestly say that this wasn't expected. Whether we like it or not, we judge people. No, it's not right that they put their technology on the dude's car, but they could of charged him with different offenses and were focused on suspicion of being a terrorist. If he didn't see the cord, he would've probably never found out and would've went along his business from no interaction from the FBI. But I'm almost certain that someone is going to disagree with me, and I say...bring it on.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 06:07 AM

Would somebody like to explain to me why someone who is simply Arabic needs to have a GPS tracking device attached to their car with a magnet and tracked by the FBI for 3-6 months? This is where GPS has a downside. ANYONE that has any type of device that can access GPS (aware of it or not) can be tracked, whether necessary or not. Useful for navigation? Yes. Useful for necessary tracking of criminals? Yes. Useful for letting the FBI stick their nose where it doesn't need to be stuck? Apparently yes.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 12th 2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Guy View Post
Would somebody like to explain to me why someone who is simply Arabic needs to have a GPS tracking device attached to their car with a magnet and tracked by the FBI for 3-6 months?
That's just it, they don't. There are a lot of innocent people being prosecuted in America simply because they are of a certain descent. I live in America, and it still sickens me.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 13th 2010, 01:18 AM

I live in America myself...it sounds to me like the FBI should be condemned for racial profiling on this one.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#19 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 13th 2010, 09:34 AM

i personally see nothing wrong with it...
if he doesnt have nothing to hide then there shouldnt be a problem

(#20 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 13th 2010, 04:48 PM

it's not like they're publishing any of his info. They're just checking him out seeing if he's all what he says he is. If he hasn't done anything wrong, then there's no reason he should be worried about them.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
BlackMilk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 19th 2010, 09:37 PM

has said, america is not the land of the free, at all

Everyone gets mad with power, and popular propaganda --> hollywood

in terms of police not goin into your house and the army not being on the road or in charge of politics. on and more drugs ---> Europe

and sadly, for me, as a european, i think usa has a feeling of everyone being out to get them. Unfortunely every country that doesnt pretend to be friends with them gets bombed, or so it seams.

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 20th 2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMilk View Post
has said, america is not the land of the free, at all

Everyone gets mad with power, and popular propaganda --> hollywood

in terms of police not goin into your house and the army not being on the road or in charge of politics. on and more drugs ---> Europe

and sadly, for me, as a european, i think usa has a feeling of everyone being out to get them. Unfortunely every country that doesnt pretend to be friends with them gets bombed, or so it seams.
I think someone needs to lay off the TV. Anyway, at least it's nice to know that Europe is okay with making people choose between their religion and going outside in the name of safety.

Yeah, we have idiots who are very vocal on issues, but are the majority of Americans like that? No. It's just that Americans and the rest of the world want to see idiots like that so they get the coverage.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
ThePunkAlien Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Josh

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 21st 2010, 03:05 AM

Not surprised, I was raised (sorta) to not believe a single thing our government tells us:

It's also sad the founding father's aren't around so they can kick some serious fucking ass...

- Yeah, showing my age again with the above pic.

"Maybe I just like people. Maybe sexuality isn't one thing or the other. Maybe it's just something that's shifting and moving. I just know I'm not thinking man or woman."
- SHAMELESS.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: FBI Secretly Placed Tracking Device on College Student's Car - October 21st 2010, 06:35 AM

On what I said earlier, I don't like it actually. Govt. surveillance state is where US seems to be headed.

Closed Thread