TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 20th 2009, 05:16 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/02/19/chi...ml?eref=rss_us

Many of those critical of the cartoon said it appeared to compare President Barack Obama to a chimpanzee in a commentary on his recently approved economic stimulus package.

"Wednesday's Page Six cartoon caricaturing Monday's police shooting of a chimpanzee in Connecticut has created considerable controversy," the paper said about the drawing, which shows two police officers standing over the body of a chimpanzee they just shot.

The drawing is a reference to the mauling of a woman by a pet chimpanzee, which was then killed by police. In the cartoon, one of the officers tells the other, "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 20th 2009, 07:25 AM

They made literally THOUSANDS of cartoons showing Bush as a chimp, and now people complain about a few doing the same to Obama? How stupid. It's not racism unless it's "LOL HES BLACK AND THEREFORE UNEVOLVED", haven't people ever heard of people comparing people with stupid ideas to a "chimp" or saying that someone who has made a complete hash of something has turned things into "a chimp's tea party"?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 20th 2009, 01:34 PM

I agree 100% with Jack. That's a bit of a double standard, isn't it? He shouldn't be shielded from slander and super protected, treated as high above everyone else just because he's black, if that's what it's about... Who cares if he was purple, yellow or rainbow, he still's doing the same job and they'd make fun of him all the same. Besides I actually found the cartoon quite amusing.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 21st 2009, 06:40 PM

That's a horrible cartoon to put out there about anyone. However, a lot of bad things have been said about Bush. I just wish everyone would stop with the jokes and horrible sayings and focus on the actual issues that we have here.

--A

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 21st 2009, 06:47 PM

I don't think anyone has a clue on how to handle the economy. Spending money a country doesn't have isn't going to save anyone or any business.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 21st 2009, 09:11 PM

I don't care how someone feels about ANY president. That was over the line and uncalled for.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jack Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Jack

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 21st 2009, 09:27 PM

In what manner, shape or form is it over the line and uncalled for?

I found the ones about bush funny, I see no reasons why the ones about Obama should not be considered funny. Other than the fact that nothing bad must ever be said about Saint Obama, the patron saint of Hope.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 22nd 2009, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittneyNicole View Post
I don't care how someone feels about ANY president. That was over the line and uncalled for.
How are they over the line? What was wrong with it? I found it quite funny actually.

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I can't get enough

Name: Brittney

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 22nd 2009, 02:20 AM

My own personal opinion is that they are over the line. I didn't find the one's about Bush funny and I didn't like Bush.
Whether you like them or not, they are the President and they deserve a certain level of respect. And comparing them to a chip is not very respectful.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Send a message via MSN to BrittneyNicole  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Homophobia is gay
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Cameron
Location: a place surrounded by lakes: it's cold, and poor, and named Detroit

Re: New York Post apologizes for, yet still defends, chimp cartoon - February 22nd 2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrittneyNicole View Post
My own personal opinion is that they are over the line. I didn't find the one's about Bush funny and I didn't like Bush.
Whether you like them or not, they are the President and they deserve a certain level of respect. And comparing them to a chip is not very respectful.
If you read the article, you would know this is not about Obama. This is making fun of the fact that anyone could've written the stimulus, including a chimp. You do realize that Obama did not actually write the stimulus bill, correct?

ENTER SHIKARI! BEST BAND EVER!!
(little thanks to Just.Tegan for showing me these guys)

Closed Thread