TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
FlyingTrue's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: United States (FL)

Posts: 1,048
Join Date: March 31st 2010

DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 12:05 AM

Perfect title for this news story:
http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13330034
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 12:45 AM

Go kid! He's got some balls to stab his parents in the back, but the parents should be responsible. Marijuana is for popular high school kids, not grown ass adults with children.
   
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Member
Jeez, get a life!
***********
 
Kitty.'s Avatar
 
Name: Kitty
Gender: Female

Posts: 6,268
Join Date: January 23rd 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 01:59 AM

That is really really great! I'm happy about this. It's really good that the boy is away from that environment.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 01:15 PM

i dont see how a kid could do that to his parents my dad does the crap and i dont think i could ever turn him in.... im sure the rest of his life he'll be known as the kid who turned his parents in.. someone unworthy of trusting .. i know i wouldnt trust anyone who would have the cojones to turn his parents you know the ones who fed and clothed him his entire life provided a roof over his head....
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 01:27 PM

That's the spirit little Timmy, turn in your parents to the government! Enforce those horrible laws! Here's some koolaid!


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 16th 2010, 08:58 PM

That's unfortunate that the children no longer live in the house.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe
***
 
mr_null's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: Canada

Posts: 101
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 06:50 PM

It's sad that a bullshit propaganda program continues to destroy lives when anyone who has actually decided to think for themselves and do their own research on the subject realizes that drug legalization and regulation is far more effective and just than prohibition.

I feel bad for the kid, too young to understand what is going on, yet still managed to ruin his family life for good. As the father said, it's nobody's business what responsible adults do in their own homes. Albeit he should have hid his stash better.
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_null View Post
It's sad that a bullshit propaganda program continues to destroy lives when anyone who has actually decided to think for themselves and do their own research on the subject realizes that drug legalization and regulation is far more effective and just than prohibition.

I feel bad for the kid, too young to understand what is going on, yet still managed to ruin his family life for good. As the father said, it's nobody's business what responsible adults do in their own homes. Albeit he should have hid his stash better.
1. Just because someone chooses not to do drugs doesn't mean that they can't "think for themselves." Let's not bash someone for their opinions, thanks.

2. People have done research. The problem is that any of the research they provide is either "bias" or just not true, whereas pro-marijuana "facts" are completely true and no argument. So it doesn't matter what people say...there's always a counter argument and essentially, we get no where. You can provide any evidence you want, but it won't make a difference.

3. It doesn't matter about the future of marijuana. The fact is that the kid was taught that marijuana is illegal because it's bad. If it's illegal, there's no question about it. You can't expect a kid to tell his parents "I caught you with marijuana, and I'm really upset with you." You can hate on the kid all you want, but he did the right thing. Maybe he went a little bit to the extreme, but he acknowledged that his parents were in possession of something illegal, he knew it wasn't right, and he did the thing that he felt was right. At a kid's age, it doesn't matter whether it's marijuana, or child pornography. The parents put themselves in that mess by making marijuana easily accessible. Don't feel bad for the kid, feel bad for the parents. They're the ones who shot themselves in the foot.
   
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough
*********
 
forfrosne's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 3,311
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 29th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 08:42 PM

This is exactly what George Orwell said would happen in his novel 1948. In it, people had to be absolutely in agreement with whatever 'Big Brother' said. The children would almost always turn their parents in whenever they could because they were raised around such propaganda that told them that it was right to do so.

Sounds similar to me. Added to the constant CCTV surveillance, the linking of a city-wide CCTV surveillance grid... our future looks bleak.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
2. People have done research. The problem is that any of the research they provide is either "bias" or just not true, whereas pro-marijuana "facts" are completely true and no argument. So it doesn't matter what people say...there's always a counter argument and essentially, we get no where. You can provide any evidence you want, but it won't make a difference.
The issue is that something may be good for an area but harmful for another area, not whether or not the facts are questionable. Caffeine may help prevent Parkinson's disease, but it can also up the risk of a miscarriage in a pregnant woman along with the risk of diabetes. This is something that a person should educate themselves on and decide for themselves.

Plus some of the evidence against marijuana is old and has been retracted.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
The issue is that something may be good for an area but harmful for another area, not whether or not the facts are questionable. Caffeine may help prevent Parkinson's disease, but it can also up the risk of a miscarriage in a pregnant woman along with the risk of diabetes. This is something that a person should educate themselves on and decide for themselves.
And we do educate ourselves. Just because I will never smoke marijuana doesn't mean I'm not educated. That was the point that I was trying to make. We're human beings...just because you smoke doesn't make you superior, intelligent, or anything else, just like me not smoking doesn't make me superior, intelligent, or anything else. The only difference is that you smoke marijuana for different reasons, while I don't smoke marijuana for different reasons. And to think that I can't think for myself just because I don't smoke is completely wrong on so many levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Plus some of the evidence against marijuana is old and has been retracted.
If evidence is subject to change, would it be fair to say that people could find evidence to support why marijuana is bad just like people could find evidence to support that marijuana is not bad? Just because evidence is subject to change doesn't mean "oh, since we're changing shit around...that means in a couple hundred years, marijuana will be added in children's breakfast cereal because it will actually promote such and such!" Because there's always potential that some monumental evidence of marijuana being bad could come up, and vice versa. If evidence changes, then we simply don't know all there is to know about marijuana. Anything could happen in the future.
   
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 19th 2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post


And we do educate ourselves. Just because I will never smoke marijuana doesn't mean I'm not educated. That was the point that I was trying to make. We're human beings...just because you smoke doesn't make you superior, intelligent, or anything else, just like me not smoking doesn't make me superior, intelligent, or anything else. The only difference is that you smoke marijuana for different reasons, while I don't smoke marijuana for different reasons. And to think that I can't think for myself just because I don't smoke is completely wrong on so many levels.

(Bolding mine)
Wow! You are slanderous and now I think you need to learn to keep your mouth shut before you make accusations about me! How dare you accuse me of smoking marijuana? That is horribly close-minded of you for assuming I partake in marijuana. I never have tried any illicit drug, I do not smoke cigarettes, and I have never been drunk even though I am of legal age. I have not had more than twenty ounces of alcohol my entire life. I do not associate with people who party hard with alcohol or other drugs. Your assumptions that I smoke because I am a true libertarian shows how close-minded you are.

Not to mention just discrediting the information on the basis it doesn't support your view doesn't work. Peer-reviewed evidence is one of the best ways to get rid of biases. You said that it is either untrue or biased? Have you looked up the journals some of the studies are published in to find out if the journal is credible? Do you look up anti-marijuana information to ensure that it is a credible source?

I haven't called you uneducated in this thread so the rant is pointless.


Quote:
If evidence is subject to change, would it be fair to say that people could find evidence to support why marijuana is bad just like people could find evidence to support that marijuana is not bad? Just because evidence is subject to change doesn't mean "oh, since we're changing shit around...that means in a couple hundred years, marijuana will be added in children's breakfast cereal because it will actually promote such and such!" Because there's always potential that some monumental evidence of marijuana being bad could come up, and vice versa. If evidence changes, then we simply don't know all there is to know about marijuana. Anything could happen in the future.
The point is that you can't say that marijuana is bad because bad doesn't mean anything. Caffeine can be argued to be good and bad depending on the effects of the study. You have to be careful not to compare apples to oranges. If I pull up a study done on clone rats about Alzheimer's that showed improvement when the rat received synthetic marijuana compounds and compare it to clone rats that inhaled marijuana and they had negative impact on their lungs, it is unfair. If you found multiple studies that repeated the results to see if the findings were repeatable, then that would be significant to look at.

Edit: I see where you may have confused the pronoun "you" with the word "person." In that case, you would be taking the meaning out of context. I am referring to the side effects and the need for people to educate themselves on side effects like anything a person does. A person should be aware the side effects of speeding, of taking blood thinners, of having a surgery since there are some pretty scary side effects like death. Can you imagine bleeding out internally or developing a surgical site infection?

Last edited by MisplacedDreamer; October 20th 2010 at 12:04 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post


Wow! You are slanderous and now I think you need to learn to keep your mouth shut before you make accusations about me!
Wow! Way to jump to conclusions. I wasn't directing that towards you. I was referring to "you" as people who think that they are superior, intelligent, and anything else because they smoke marijuana. I'm sorry that you got that idea. You misunderstood me, it's fine. Let's be mature, thanks. With that being said, I'll skip the below "rant" because that is irrelevant too.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post

Not to mention just discrediting the information on the basis it doesn't support your view doesn't work. Peer-reviewed evidence is one of the best ways to get rid of biases. You said that it is either untrue or biased? Have you looked up the journals some of the studies are published in to find out if the journal is credible? Do you look up anti-marijuana information to ensure that it is a credible source?
Right here is where I can throw a lot of shit right back at you, but I'm going to be mature and say...don't jump to conclusions. I look at both types of evidence. I try my best to understand why marijuana is such and such. If you haven't called me uneducated, then then don't go off on assumptions that I say shit for no reason.
   
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 12:21 AM

One thing that every English teacher will cram into your head is that you need to be specific. "You" is not acceptable when it can be confused as addressing a specific person or the audience. Use a word like "he or she," they (not really recommended), one, or a person. Not to mention that you quoted me so that would seem like your response is directed to the quote. I quoted you and my response was directed at you. Hence I cannot be responsible for your writing errors.
Quote:
2. People have done research. The problem is that any of the research they provide is either "bias" or just not true, whereas pro-marijuana "facts" are completely true and no argument. So it doesn't matter what people say...there's always a counter argument and essentially, we get no where. You can provide any evidence you want, but it won't make a difference.
So you look at the research but you don't understand it or something? Do you make sure it is credible? Do you actually read the journal articles that people quote from? If you are looking at both sides, do you try to go further and determine if new research has been done suggesting new light on the previous study? Just reading quoted sections do not show the entire picture.

Quote:
If you haven't called me uneducated, then then don't go off on assumptions that I say shit for no reason.

Well, if you weren't responding to me, the post I responded to previously was pretty much for no reason except to quote me and then rant at an anonymous audience.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
One thing that every English teacher will cram into your head is that you need to be specific. "You" is not acceptable when it can be confused as addressing a specific person or the audience. Use a word like "he or she," they (not really recommended), one, or a person. Not to mention that you quoted me so that would seem like your response is directed to the quote. I quoted you and my response was directed at you. Hence I cannot be responsible for your writing errors.
And I said that you misunderstood me, and it was probably my fault, but that doesn't really matter because I said "it's fine." It doesn't matter. Let's debate about the real issue here and not give me an English lesson about why I'm wrong. Spare those debates for when it really matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
So you look at the research but you don't understand it or something? Do you make sure it is credible? Do you actually read the journal articles that people quote from? If you are looking at both sides, do you try to go further and determine if new research has been done suggesting new light on the previous study? Just reading quoted sections do not show the entire picture.
This isn't a debate about marijuana. Or at least I don't think it is? It's just an event about a boy getting his parents in trouble. There's already plenty of marijuana debates on this already, and I really don't want to make this one. I already answered that question, and I said don't take me as uneducated -- I don't say shit for no reason, and it still hasn't changed in the past 5 minutes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Well, if you weren't responding to me, the post I responded to previously was pretty much for no reason except to quote me and then rant at an anonymous audience.
I was responding. If you consider responding as a rant, then yes...that was a rant. Otherwise, no. That was a response. Maybe it was an extended response, but if you feel strongly about something and then someone turns around and says that we should educate ourselves for our beliefs, then what's the relevance to that? If you believe that something is bad or good, you should be educated enough to explain why you believe what you believe. If we're in a debate forum, that's kind of what you're expected to do...be educated on your topic. So why even say it?
   
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 02:26 AM

The kid did a -great- job. No matter who it is, if they're doing something illegal it needs to be reported.
Not only did he show a great deal of courage to report it, but it also shows that he's being a responsible citizen, which isn't something I can say about the parents.

Now, I'm not going to talk about marijuana and why it should be legalized - that's not what this thread is about. The kid saw his parents do something he knew was illegal, so he reported it. I'd do the same if I saw my parents steal or cause domestic abuse or anything else about it. Perhaps, since I'm older, I might confront them about it first, but the fact of the matter is that the law is still the law.

The kid did a great job. As kids, we were all taught to report illegal or suspicious activity. We were taught in school, at home, on the playground, in the community, etc.

I'd also like to point out that just because a person smokes marijuana doesn't mean they did research about it. There's a difference between medicinal marijuana and recreational smoking.

I think the kid did a great job and should be applauded for reporting something he knew wasn't right. His parents were doing something that could possibly endanger them and endanger their son as well. The fact of the matter is that no parent should be doing anything illegal, especially around their kids. Not only are they models, but they're also responsible for their children. Plain and simple.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 02:51 AM

Dustin/Ben: What if the father were instead keeping meth? Cocaine? Slaves? In other words: is your objection what the boy was turning his parents in for, or that he was turning his parents in at all. If the former, that's just going to degenerate to the same tired argument, but hopefully we can at least agree that a child shouldn't be expected to be able to navigate such an issue on their own. If the latter, I'd remind you that part of being a good person includes doing the right thing even when it's painful to do so. If someone is doing something bad, you should try to stop them. Their relation to you mind change how you go about that, but it shouldn't change that you do go about it.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
Dustin/Ben: What if the father were instead keeping meth? Cocaine? Slaves? In other words: is your objection what the boy was turning his parents in for, or that he was turning his parents in at all. If the former, that's just going to degenerate to the same tired argument, but hopefully we can at least agree that a child shouldn't be expected to be able to navigate such an issue on their own. If the latter, I'd remind you that part of being a good person includes doing the right thing even when it's painful to do so. If someone is doing something bad, you should try to stop them. Their relation to you mind change how you go about that, but it shouldn't change that you do go about it.
you dont rat on the people who clothed and fed you your entire life no matter WTF they were doing.. you might think its okay but in my eyes thats a really FILTHY thing to do i wouldnt trust the kid as far as i could throw him. what makes you decide if something is the right thing or not? cause some idiotic officer tries to make kids follow inline behind them and turn them into greatest bunch of worthless pieces of craps this world has every seen? i know one day that kid will report the wrong person and likelly end up in a body bag... again ratting on your parents is one filthy thing to do no matter what there doing... i know if one of my kids did something like that to me he'd be on the streets living from thereafter...
   
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
TakeTheLeap's Avatar
 
Name: Emily
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,309
Join Date: January 5th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
you dont rat on the people who clothed and fed you your entire life no matter WTF they were doing.. you might think its okay but in my eyes thats a really FILTHY thing to do i wouldnt trust the kid as far as i could throw him. what makes you decide if something is the right thing or not? cause some idiotic officer tries to make kids follow inline behind them and turn them into greatest bunch of worthless pieces of craps this world has every seen? i know one day that kid will report the wrong person and likelly end up in a body bag... again ratting on your parents is one filthy thing to do no matter what there doing... i know if one of my kids did something like that to me he'd be on the streets living from thereafter...
Just because they clothed and fed you doesn't mean they're good people. What if they were abusers? What if they taught you to break the law and do bad things?
In this case, the parents were putting their child in danger - if they were under the influence and the house caught on fire, I wouldn't trust them to call 911. You don't know what people do when they're under the influence, whether it's drugs or alcohol, and it may have been that the kid was in an unsafe situation. Having parents who are under the influence is unsafe, whether there's imminent danger or not.
And honestly, Dustin, if you were my father and were breaking the law, which was putting me in danger, I'd have no trouble reporting you. If I did, and you put me out on the streets, I'd probably be better off.


“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

   
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 03:56 AM

im done with this thread... all i have to say is im glad i had my parents and grandparents to teach me right from wrong and not some neo nazi cops declaring everything different wrong i dont agree with the crap but i also dont run around telling kids to turn in there parents for getting a little stress release... whats next having kids check there parents presription pill bottles to make sure there prescribed to them "rolls eyes"
   
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
im done with this thread... all i have to say is im glad i had my parents and grandparents to teach me right from wrong and not some neo nazi cops declaring everything different wrong i dont agree with the crap but i also dont run around telling kids to turn in there parents for getting a little stress release... whats next having kids check there parents presription pill bottles to make sure there prescribed to them "rolls eyes"
Don't forget that there's different ways, not to mention more effective ways to release stress. One of them being, of course, sexual intercourse. And since they are a married couple, I think sex would be most appropriate. Or you could do yoga/meditation, or jogging with your baby in a stroller. All release stress and are more beneficial than smoking marijuana. And it doesn't even put your kid at potential risk! How cool is that! You exercise, AND you release stress hormones!

Keep in mind that cops don't determine the law. They enforce the law. If it's illegal, then there's no question about it. Are they neo nazi's because the enforce a law that is contrary to your beliefs? Well, by that logic...wouldn't that make you "neo nazi" for being upset over a debate when someone says differently? Someone calling someone a neo nazi because they say differently than what you do. Now isn't THAT ironic?!

No one teaches children to get their parents in trouble. Possession of marijuana is against the law. If it wasn't, then children wouldn't be taught to tell someone, they'd just be taught not to mess with it until they're a certain age. And just because most children are taught that drugs are bad doesn't mean that they're going to be brain-washed kids who grow up to be emotionless people who completely reject drugs and alcohol. Obviously, drugs are popular among teenagers and young adults...so even if the kids was taught to not smoke marijuana, it doesn't mean he's not going to in the future. The fact is that he's just a kid; whoever says we can think logically enough to the point where we wouldn't confront our parents or tell on them obviously forgot what it's like to be a child.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
The ANTI-Troll's Avatar
 
Name: ..........
Age: 30
Gender: Trans
Location: nowhere

Posts: 705
Join Date: January 30th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post


Don't forget that there's different ways, not to mention more effective ways to release stress. One of them being, of course, sexual intercourse. And since they are a married couple, I think sex would be most appropriate. Or you could do yoga/meditation, or jogging with your baby in a stroller. All release stress and are more beneficial than smoking marijuana. And it doesn't even put your kid at potential risk! How cool is that! You exercise, AND you release stress hormones!

Keep in mind that cops don't determine the law. They enforce the law. If it's illegal, then there's no question about it. Are they neo nazi's because the enforce a law that is contrary to your beliefs? Well, by that logic...wouldn't that make you "neo nazi" for being upset over a debate when someone says differently? Someone calling someone a neo nazi because they say differently than what you do. Now isn't THAT ironic?!

No one teaches children to get their parents in trouble. Possession of marijuana is against the law. If it wasn't, then children wouldn't be taught to tell someone, they'd just be taught not to mess with it until they're a certain age. And just because most children are taught that drugs are bad doesn't mean that they're going to be brain-washed kids who grow up to be emotionless people who completely reject drugs and alcohol. Obviously, drugs are popular among teenagers and young adults...so even if the kids was taught to not smoke marijuana, it doesn't mean he's not going to in the future. The fact is that he's just a kid; whoever says we can think logically enough to the point where we wouldn't confront our parents or tell on them obviously forgot what it's like to be a child.
no neo nazi cause they come to a school and try to brainwash kids into there way of thinking at a young age......no kid should have to be submitted to that garbage at there age..
   
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,299
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 12:17 PM

Eh... Why does an 11 year old need to know about illegal drugs? O.o
But still, I don't really think the kid should of handed them in to be honest, marijuana isn't even a bad drug x.x

I mean, I'd understand if it was a hardcore drug or something =/
   
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
no neo nazi cause they come to a school and try to brainwash kids into there way of thinking at a young age......no kid should have to be submitted to that garbage at there age..
Brainwash? It's called being a responsible adult. If an adult told a kid that it's bad to cross the street without looking both ways, would that be considered brainwashing? It's not their way of thinking, so they should just learn the hard way by getting ran over by a car? Most parents don't want their kids doing drugs at a young age, so because the majority of parents don't want their kids doing drugs, they enroll them in a school that teaches kids that drugs are bad. Regardless of how "hardcore" a drug is or not. At this point in time, marijuana is a drug. Whether it should remain an illegal drug is a debatable topic and not the focus of this thread. The fact is that because marijuana is illegal, as of right now, then kids are going to be taught so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264
Eh... Why does an 11 year old need to know about illegal drugs? O.o
But still, I don't really think the kid should of handed them in to be honest, marijuana isn't even a bad drug x.x

I mean, I'd understand if it was a hardcore drug or something =/


As I've mentioned above, it doesn't matter whether it's a hardcore drug or not. It's irrelevant. If it's illegal, then kids are taught so. If it wasn't, then kids wouldn't be taught so. Kids are taught that cigarettes are harmful, but they aren't taught that cigarettes are illegal because they aren't.

And you would be surprised about what 11 years come across. When I was 8 years old, I already knew about pornography, chewing tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana. That was just in 1998. Now it's 2010. Younger generations are being exposed to many things at a younger age. So 11 years old isn't as young as you think.
   
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#25 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough
*********
 
Jesus Christ.'s Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,299
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

As I've mentioned above, it doesn't matter whether it's a hardcore drug or not. It's irrelevant. If it's illegal, then kids are taught so. If it wasn't, then kids wouldn't be taught so. Kids are taught that cigarettes are harmful, but they aren't taught that cigarettes are illegal because they aren't.

And you would be surprised about what 11 years come across. When I was 8 years old, I already knew about pornography, chewing tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana. That was just in 1998. Now it's 2010. Younger generations are being exposed to many things at a younger age. So 11 years old isn't as young as you think.
Well, I think in this case 11 years old is too young, proof being that the child wasn't able too differentiate between dangerous drugs and drugs that shouldn't even be illegal.
Parents break laws all of the time, everyone does, marijuana is quite small and doesn't cause many problems. There are worse laws that parents commit, like buying alcohol for a minor, if this was too happen would it be just for a child to report the parent?[/size][/color][/font]
   
  (#26 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?
**********
 
Kate*'s Avatar
 
Name: Katie
Age: 31
Gender: Female
Location: Ohio

Posts: 4,720
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 02:13 PM

I don't even see why this has turned into a legalize marijuana thread at all. The point is not whether the drugs are dangerous, safe, ok, or not ok. The point is that the kid saw his parents doing something ILLEGAL and he turned them in because at 11 things are very black and white. and people doing illegal things need to have consequences. Your opinion on whether it should be legal or not is completely irrelavent.


Member Since: September 19, 2007
LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough
*********
 
Maloo's Avatar
 
Name: Lissa
Age: 28
Gender: Female
Location: The US

Posts: 2,585
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: January 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
you dont rat on the people who clothed and fed you your entire life no matter WTF they were doing.. you might think its okay but in my eyes thats a really FILTHY thing to do i wouldnt trust the kid as far as i could throw him. what makes you decide if something is the right thing or not? cause some idiotic officer tries to make kids follow inline behind them and turn them into greatest bunch of worthless pieces of craps this world has every seen? i know one day that kid will report the wrong person and likelly end up in a body bag... again ratting on your parents is one filthy thing to do no matter what there doing... i know if one of my kids did something like that to me he'd be on the streets living from thereafter...
You have no idea how the parents raised the child, so that argument is pretty much irrelevant.
The parents were in the wrong, and they know it. You shouldn't be participating in illegal activities, and you especially shouldn't have your pot easily accessible to your FIFTH grade child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
Eh... Why does an 11 year old need to know about illegal drugs? O.o
I'm pretty sure my boyfriend was 11 when he smoked pot for the first time. That's why.
   
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 20th 2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post

Well, I think in this case 11 years old is too young, proof being that the child wasn't able too differentiate between dangerous drugs and drugs that shouldn't even be illegal.
Parents break laws all of the time, everyone does, marijuana is quite small and doesn't cause many problems. There are worse laws that parents commit, like buying alcohol for a minor, if this was too happen would it be just for a child to report the parent?
Like I said, IT DOESN'T MATTER, you don't need to differentiate between dangerous drugs to "drugs that shouldn't even be illegal." That is COMPLETELY irrelevant. It is STILL illegal. Keep in mind that I'm 20 years old and I say that marijuana should remain illegal. The only reason why I would legalize it is to slam heavy taxes on it to benefit the economy. Age makes no difference. He wasn't "too young" to differentiate. Like him or me, we're both capable of forming an opinion about something. If he believes that marijuana is bad and therefore illegal, then he had every right to tell on his parents for having possession of it. This isn't a marijuana debate, please spare the "but but but...marijuana isn't bad for you ." Whether marijuana should be legalized or remain illegal is completely irrelevant to this discussion. I've only said this like 3 times. Feel free to respond to this, but if it has to do with marijuana...you might as well not because I won't even respond to it.

As for your other question, offering alcohol to a minor is a different scenario. One is that it's based on hear say. Unless the 11 year old boy had a BAC level that would indicate that he's had alcohol, then you can't really prove that he was offered alcohol. Marijuana is proof. If you're in possession, you're in possession no questions asked. The parents wouldn't be guaranteed to go to jail because whether they go to jail is based on many circumstances. I know because I called the cops on my mom in 2003 because I felt physically harassed, but the cops couldn't prove that I was physically harassed. Instead, she was taken to jail because of her refusal to cooperate, and she was intoxicated. And if the minor wanted their parents to buy alcohol, then why feel the need to report it? Not every 11 year old wouldn't have called the cops on their parents, but it just so happens that the boy had a belief, and he felt that calling the cops was the right thing to do. The facts about marijuana, whether it's good for you or not, is irrelevant. If it's illegal and someone feels that the cops should know about it, then there's no question and no argument whatsoever.

A marijuana debate can be found here:

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f38-c...lization-weed/

Not here.

Last edited by Brandon; October 20th 2010 at 04:18 PM.
   
3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 21st 2010, 05:23 PM

My post may have been moderated or I may have forgot to send it. Most likely I forgot to send it since I think I am supposed to receive some sort of warning if it was moderated and I have like five windows open and four tabs in each on average.

Anyway, I think it is significant to understand why it is illegal. No one would be complaining if the child brought a corpse's hand in because their parents sacrificed someone in some unusual religious ritual. However, is having marijuana comparable to that act of murder? If someone focuses on pure black-and-white as in illegal = horrible, then yes, those two acts should be considered the same. It's a good thing that most adults have a higher level of moral reasoning then to just assume that anything illegal is horrible and instead can consider the consequences to society.

Yes, there are different levels of moral reasoning. Young children focus on not doing something because it is illegal or they will get punished.

One thing that I wonder about the parents is if they showed the child the marijuana and told him not to touch it. Many parents leave alcohol around the house where it is accessible to children not even in middle school yet (fridge anyone?) and I wonder if they wanted to make it clear that the child shouldn't touch this stuff or else the parents would punish them. Another example would be cigarettes. If parents leave their smokes in their car, coat pocket, or purse, a child who is not in the first grade could probably get their hands on at least one cigarettes and smoke it. I wonder if the parents wanted to make it clear that the child was not to smoke their weed.

Quote:
Don't forget that there's different ways, not to mention more effective ways to release stress. One of them being, of course, sexual intercourse. And since they are a married couple, I think sex would be most appropriate. Or you could do yoga/meditation, or jogging with your baby in a stroller. All release stress and are more beneficial than smoking marijuana. And it doesn't even put your kid at potential risk! How cool is that! You exercise, AND you release stress hormones!
Without knowing the health of the parents, you could have just suggested that the parents kill themselves by upping their heart rate to a dangerous level if they are unable to exercise.

Quote:
The fact is that he's just a kid; whoever says we can think logically enough to the point where we wouldn't confront our parents or tell on them obviously forgot what it's like to be a child.
Depends on multiple factors and how "mature" a child is.
Quote:
Well, I think in this case 11 years old is too young, proof being that the child wasn't able too differentiate between dangerous drugs and drugs that shouldn't even be illegal.
Parents break laws all of the time, everyone does, marijuana is quite small and doesn't cause many problems. There are worse laws that parents commit, like buying alcohol for a minor, if this was too happen would it be just for a child to report the parent?[/size][/color][/font]
May be the method in which the children were taught. A lot of programs back in the day didn't differentiate between them. Cocaine was the same as marijuana because it was illegal. Clearly I learned the difference now since one can kill you without overdosing on it and the other one, the person would probably either burst their stomach or hypoventilate before they could ingest enough to die of an overdose.

So my main point is that it is easy to try and dismiss the other side by focusing solely on legality. Many things are illegal that make no sense. After all, how many people shoot fire crackers off on a country road every five miles to ensure there are no cows blocking the road? And we don't treat all illegal activities the same either. Having cocaine is a more serious offense than having a small amount of marijuana.

Last edited by MisplacedDreamer; October 21st 2010 at 05:30 PM.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 21st 2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Anyway, I think it is significant to understand why it is illegal.
Again, it's irrelevant. I'm not going to debate about something other than the original topic. So this is already a no-go. Sorry Charlie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
No one would be complaining if the child brought a corpse's hand in because their parents sacrificed someone in some unusual religious ritual.
You're kidding me right? I don't even know if I can respond with a serious response to this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Yes, there are different levels of moral reasoning. Young children focus on not doing something because it is illegal or they will get punished.
Then based on the thread topic, you're agreeing that the kid did the right thing, and that you're agreeing with me. Moving on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
One thing that I wonder about the parents is if they showed the child the marijuana and told him not to touch it. Many parents leave alcohol around the house where it is accessible to children not even in middle school yet (fridge anyone?) and I wonder if they wanted to make it clear that the child shouldn't touch this stuff or else the parents would punish them. Another example would be cigarettes. If parents leave their smokes in their car, coat pocket, or purse, a child who is not in the first grade could probably get their hands on at least one cigarettes and smoke it. I wonder if the parents wanted to make it clear that the child was not to smoke their weed.
Apparently not, because the parents got in trouble for it. Either way, that would be very stupid. I don't support putting alcohol or cigarettes in children's reach anyways. You put guns in gun safes, you put alcohol out of reach of children, and you keep cigarettes and cigarette smoke away from children. It's like saying "now look here Jimmy. This here is a .45 caliber pistol. Very shiny. I'm going to put this under the bed and I don't want you touching it. It is very bad." Parenting doesn't work like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Without knowing the health of the parents, you could have just suggested that the parents kill themselves by upping their heart rate to a dangerous level if they are unable to exercise.
If they can't do yoga or have sex, then they can't increase their heart rate at all. Damn! They must sit on their asses all day and smoke marijuana, because walking can increase heart rate too. But aside from all that, unless you can prove to me that these parents were in the condition that they can't get SOME form of exercise, then nothing that I say changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Depends on multiple factors and how "mature" a child is.
It has nothing to do with maturity. Morals, maybe. Not maturity.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
So my main point is that it is easy to try and dismiss the other side by focusing solely on legality. Many things are illegal that make no sense. After all, how many people shoot fire crackers off on a country road every five miles to ensure there are no cows blocking the road? And we don't treat all illegal activities the same either. Having cocaine is a more serious offense than having a small amount of marijuana.
Nope, we sure don't treat all illegal activities the same. It depends on the person. Most cops won't pull you over for doing 5 miles over the speed limit, but it doesn't change the fact that exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles is still speeding. And the point that I made that since this discussion is focusing on the kid and not marijuana by itself, the kid felt it was the right thing to do because it was illegal. There's no argument. The marijuana "side" is discussed in a marijuana debate. This isn't one. How big do I have to make a font to get people to take their marijuana debate somewhere else?
   
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 22nd 2010, 01:44 AM

I don't get the point of why you are posting in this thread. If all you have to say is along the lines of marijuana is illegal so the kid did the right thing, then you could have saved yourself the effort a long time.

Ok, I misworded the corpse example. It should read along the lines of "No one would be complaining if the parents were arrested..." and not just a "no one would be complaining." I was in a hurry to get to class.
Quote:
Then based on the thread topic, you're agreeing that the kid did the right thing, and that you're agreeing with me. Moving on...
Actually, no. I am not agreeing with you and I am suggesting that if people should use a higher level moral reasoning than the early stages in this thread. Hopefully you aren't just using the early stages of moral reasoning.
Quote:
Apparently not, because the parents got in trouble for it. Either way, that would be very stupid. I don't support putting alcohol or cigarettes in children's reach anyways. You put guns in gun safes, you put alcohol out of reach of children, and you keep cigarettes and cigarette smoke away from children. It's like saying "now look here Jimmy. This here is a .45 caliber pistol. Very shiny. I'm going to put this under the bed and I don't want you touching it. It is very bad." Parenting doesn't work like that.
Gun owners have it pounded in their heads to keep their guns locked up. Alcohol and cigarettes aren't focused on as much. Have you ever been a parent? You may be shocked at how much work would go into keeping "bad substances" away from a child who is past kindergarten.

Quote:
If they can't do yoga or have sex, then they can't increase their heart rate at all. Damn! They must sit on their asses all day and smoke marijuana, because walking can increase heart rate too. But aside from all that, unless you can prove to me that these parents were in the condition that they can't get SOME form of exercise, then nothing that I say changes.
Oh dear, I was unaware of your medical training? Are you a nurse? A doctor? Some person who took gym in high school? To be honest, you are the one making assumptions about their personal health. Assume the worst if you don't have evidence.

The reason why maturity is in quotes is because there are several factors that lead up to what people may consider maturity. What cognitive level the child is at, his peers, moral reasoning, life stages, and more. I wouldn't dare say an eleven-year-old has the same "maturity" as a seventeen-year-old. An eleven-year-old is not capable to make the same moral reasoning as someone who is sixteen to eighteen would.
Quote:
Nope, we sure don't treat all illegal activities the same. It depends on the person. Most cops won't pull you over for doing 5 miles over the speed limit, but it doesn't change the fact that exceeding the speed limit by 5 miles is still speeding. And the point that I made that since this discussion is focusing on the kid and not marijuana by itself, the kid felt it was the right thing to do because it was illegal. There's no argument. The marijuana "side" is discussed in a marijuana debate. This isn't one. How big do I have to make a font to get people to take their marijuana debate somewhere else?

You can't focus on the kid because we know nothing about the child. Can you show us any evidence about the kid? Can you show us history and information? Has the child had a psych eval that would show us what level of thinking he is and whether he truly understood the consequences of his action? What are the child's beliefs about marijuana? Exactly what was the child told? Until you can answer those questions, we can't have a debate about a theoretical child (at least with you because you don't understand psychology and I have just skimmed slightly more than the average student.)

  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#32 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 22nd 2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
I don't get the point of why you are posting in this thread. If all you have to say is along the lines of marijuana is illegal so the kid did the right thing, then you could have saved yourself the effort a long time.
Although this thread was innocent enough until some people showed up pulling the "marijuana isn't bad " card, I couldn't help but respond to that. If there's already a debate on marijuana, then this would be considered a double thread...or whatever you call it. The reason why it hasn't been closed yet is because this thread isn't a debate about marijuana, and if someone thinks it is...well, I continue to try to point them in the right direction and hasn't been very successful. I like to debate, that is why I'm here. And I'm still here because you haven't really presented a valid argument that relates to the topic. You presented a valid argument for a different thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Ok, I misworded the corpse example. It should read along the lines of "No one would be complaining if the parents were arrested..." and not just a "no one would be complaining." I was in a hurry to get to class.
You're going to have to elaborate more on this because I'm not quite sure where you're trying to go with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Actually, no. I am not agreeing with you and I am suggesting that if people should use a higher level moral reasoning than the early stages in this thread. Hopefully you aren't just using the early stages of moral reasoning.
Why do you think I'm using early stages of moral reasoning? When you answer this question, I'll be able to respond to it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Gun owners have it pounded in their heads to keep their guns locked up. Alcohol and cigarettes aren't focused on as much. Have you ever been a parent? You may be shocked at how much work would go into keeping "bad substances" away from a child who is past kindergarten.
I'm not a parent, but I've witnessed parenting enough to suggest that there's nothing easy about parenting. Parenting is an acquired skill -- there's effective ways to do things, there's things you should do and things you shouldn't, etc etc. When I was growing up, my mom always had cigarettes in her pocket book and not within reach. She did, however, have alcohol in the fridge. The good thing was that I wasn't a troubled child who'd steal her alcohol or cigarettes. If you raise a troubled child, it may not matter what you do with your cigarettes or alcohol, they'll find a way to get into your stuff. Just because a pack of cigarettes is on the table doesn't mean I'm obligated, as a child, to steal a cigarette and smoke it. It all depends on what we believe. My mom is a very supportive woman and I don't think she's mentioned to my sister and I to not drink her alcohol or smoke her cigarettes. I was mainly told from school that cigarettes are harmful and so is alcohol. You could argue that I never really had an interest in those because of what schools taught me, but I formed an opinion about something. I knew that my mom was a single parent and lived a stressful life so I didn't really bother to tell her to quit smoking or anything like that, while I didn't smoke if I had the chance. My point being is that it depends on the kid and your parenting. If you're an effective parent that doesn't have a troubled child, then you wouldn't need to hide your cigarettes or alcohol. Being an effective parent isn't easy, arguably it's very difficult, but I've said in the beginning that what the kid did was take things to the extreme. If my mom instead smoked marijuana instead of cigarettes, I would react differently because of the pure and simple fact that it was illegal. If my mom had a stash somewhere, I'd probably hide it. Would I call the cops on her? Probably not, even though I did eventually call the cops on her anyways for a different reason. I think that the son could have handled the situation a little differently, but I agree on his intentions of calling the police. Regardless of anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Oh dear, I was unaware of your medical training? Are you a nurse? A doctor? Some person who took gym in high school? To be honest, you are the one making assumptions about their personal health. Assume the worst if you don't have evidence.
No, it's not assuming the worst, it's assuming the average. The average person in the US is not in a bad enough condition that inhibits them from getting some form of exercise. That's a very weak argument. And I'm saying that unless you can prove to me that they are not the average parents, who are capable of exercising but might choose not too, then I won't assume the worst. Those are called worst-case scenarios. It's like someone buying a lottery ticket and saying to people "I'm going to win" when, clearly, the chances of you winning are extremely slim. However, it is far to say that "I hope that I win, but I'm probably not going to."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
You can't focus on the kid because we know nothing about the child. Can you show us any evidence about the kid? Can you show us history and information? Has the child had a psych eval that would show us what level of thinking he is and whether he truly understood the consequences of his action? What are the child's beliefs about marijuana? Exactly what was the child told? Until you can answer those questions, we can't have a debate about a theoretical child (at least with you because you don't understand psychology and I have just skimmed slightly more than the average student.)
I guess that's the reason why this was more of an event, rather than an actual debate. No, I can't provide evidence of the child and it's not fair to assume that you know more about Psychology than I do. It's probably the case, but I have taken a Psychology class, Anthropology, and even Sociology. I know the basics and can agree with you to some extent as far as the child's cognition status. And what I'm saying is that whether marijuana is good or bad doesn't really matter in this debate. The parents had it out, and for whatever his intentions were, the kid ended up calling the cops because of it. If the parents hid an illegal substance better (which I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could hide it really well to the point that the kid wouldn't find out), then none of this probably would have happened.

   
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 22nd 2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Although this thread was innocent enough until some people showed up pulling the "marijuana isn't bad " card, I couldn't help but respond to that. If there's already a debate on marijuana, then this would be considered a double thread...or whatever you call it. The reason why it hasn't been closed yet is because this thread isn't a debate about marijuana, and if someone thinks it is...well, I continue to try to point them in the right direction and hasn't been very successful. I like to debate, that is why I'm here. And I'm still here because you haven't really presented a valid argument that relates to the topic. You presented a valid argument for a different thread.
This thread relates directly to marijuana being illegal. If the drug wasn't illegal (and it shouldn't), then the child would be sent to drug and alcohol counseling and the parents would be counseled on keeping their stash better removed from where the child could get it. Instead, the child is probably going to remember what happened to his home because he turned his parents in.

And to be honest, I have yet to hear an EMS personnel complain about being attacked by some druggie high on marijuana. LSD, meth, cocaine, alcohol I have heard. Just the other day, one EMS instructor had to help duct tape someone who appeared to be drunk onto a backboard because she was fighting them and they were having difficulty keeping her down.
Quote:
You're going to have to elaborate more on this because I'm not quite sure where you're trying to go with this one.
No one would be complaining if the parents were removed because of certain illegal activities. However, obviously people do have problems with the parents being removed over possessing marijuana.

Quote:
Why do you think I'm using early stages of moral reasoning? When you answer this question, I'll be able to respond to it better.
Simply because you automatically assumed I agreed with you. You focus solely on the fact that it is illegal so they deserve to be punished. Does it negatively affect society? Your justification is that it's against the law. You are refusing to examine the context that the law was passed and whether it is worth it. Then there comes into the issues of whether or not this is even good for the child.
Quote:
I'm not a parent, but I've witnessed parenting enough to suggest that there's nothing easy about parenting. Parenting is an acquired skill -- there's effective ways to do things, there's things you should do and things you shouldn't, etc etc. When I was growing up, my mom always had cigarettes in her pocket book and not within reach. She did, however, have alcohol in the fridge. The good thing was that I wasn't a troubled child who'd steal her alcohol or cigarettes. If you raise a troubled child, it may not matter what you do with your cigarettes or alcohol, they'll find a way to get into your stuff. Just because a pack of cigarettes is on the table doesn't mean I'm obligated, as a child, to steal a cigarette and smoke it. It all depends on what we believe. My mom is a very supportive woman and I don't think she's mentioned to my sister and I to not drink her alcohol or smoke her cigarettes. I was mainly told from school that cigarettes are harmful and so is alcohol. You could argue that I never really had an interest in those because of what schools taught me, but I formed an opinion about something. I knew that my mom was a single parent and lived a stressful life so I didn't really bother to tell her to quit smoking or anything like that, while I didn't smoke if I had the chance. My point being is that it depends on the kid and your parenting. If you're an effective parent that doesn't have a troubled child, then you wouldn't need to hide your cigarettes or alcohol. Being an effective parent isn't easy, arguably it's very difficult, but I've said in the beginning that what the kid did was take things to the extreme. If my mom instead smoked marijuana instead of cigarettes, I would react differently because of the pure and simple fact that it was illegal. If my mom had a stash somewhere, I'd probably hide it. Would I call the cops on her? Probably not, even though I did eventually call the cops on her anyways for a different reason. I think that the son could have handled the situation a little differently, but I agree on his intentions of calling the police. Regardless of anything else.
Well, peers and environment have a greater influence on a child than parents usually. If I remember correctly, you said your mom was drunk. My instructor, a firefighter/EMT for 11 years, said last class that he has never had a call for someone who was high on marijuana. He's seen practically everything else and a few things that they had no clue what the patient was doing like the naked girl who jumped through a plate glass door at them.

His reasoning may have been okay, but he probably did not know what was going to happen.

Quote:
No, it's not assuming the worst, it's assuming the average. The average person in the US is not in a bad enough condition that inhibits them from getting some form of exercise. That's a very weak argument. And I'm saying that unless you can prove to me that they are not the average parents, who are capable of exercising but might choose not too, then I won't assume the worst. Those are called worst-case scenarios. It's like someone buying a lottery ticket and saying to people "I'm going to win" when, clearly, the chances of you winning are extremely slim. However, it is far to say that "I hope that I win, but I'm probably not going to."
Then neither one of us will convince each other. I've learned not to assume a person is average when it comes to their health. Hell, both nursing and EMT classes tell them to document what the person says but multiple it by 2 in their head. I think they tell police to do that too in the police academy. If someone works out for 3 hours a week, figure it it is only 1.5 hours per week unless their stats suggest they may.

Quote:
I guess that's the reason why this was more of an event, rather than an actual debate. No, I can't provide evidence of the child and it's not fair to assume that you know more about Psychology than I do. It's probably the case, but I have taken a Psychology class, Anthropology, and even Sociology. I know the basics and can agree with you to some extent as far as the child's cognition status. And what I'm saying is that whether marijuana is good or bad doesn't really matter in this debate. The parents had it out, and for whatever his intentions were, the kid ended up calling the cops because of it. If the parents hid an illegal substance better (which I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could hide it really well to the point that the kid wouldn't find out), then none of this probably would have happened.
I was three quarters away from an undergrad in psychology at Ohio State before switching over to a different school for their nursing and paramedic program. I've taken sociology classes too.

Trying to hide something from a child is hard. My friend found out that her mother isn't her biological mother because she found her translated birth certificate by accident. I know of children who found sex toys because they were looking for something. The parents probably thought they hid them well, but the kids still found them. It is only a theory that maybe the parents showed the kid the stash, but the kid may have found it going through their drawers for money or something.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#34 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
Member
I can't get enough
*********
 
Brandon's Avatar
 
Name: Brandon
Age: 30
Gender: Male

Posts: 2,542
Join Date: January 6th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 22nd 2010, 03:59 PM

I'll comment on a few things that you said related to the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
No one would be complaining if the parents were removed because of certain illegal activities. However, obviously people do have problems with the parents being removed over possessing marijuana.
I'm not denying marijuana being a debatable substance. I'm not saying that it's good or bad because I have no interest in it and could care less what the government does. Murder isn't debatable. So I'm not sure what your point is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Simply because you automatically assumed I agreed with you. You focus solely on the fact that it is illegal so they deserve to be punished. Does it negatively affect society? Your justification is that it's against the law. You are refusing to examine the context that the law was passed and whether it is worth it. Then there comes into the issues of whether or not this is even good for the child.
What kind of moral reasoning I use is irrelevant. I was trying to be in the 11 year old's shoes in that situation. If the 11 year old used the "early stage" of moral reasoning, then he did the right thing according to his moral reasoning. And that's why I'm saying that I agree with his intentions, if his morals were the intention of getting the police involved, even though I disagree that he took it to the extreme. You're twisting words around. Because there are worse things than marijuana, I don't see why he should've called the cops when he could've just confronted his parents. I'm only agreeing on his potential intentions of his early stage of moral reasoning. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
His reasoning may have been okay, but he probably did not know what was going to happen.
And that's what I'm saying that I'm agreeing with. At his age, his reasoning may have been okay, but if he were my age, he probably would of tackled the situation differently.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
Then neither one of us will convince each other.
That's fine, we clearly see differently on this issue. Because I'm just a normal citizen and not someone who has someone's life in their hands, I base on an average. It would make sense for an EMT or anyone like that, but perfectly acceptable for me. So in the end, you're probably right, just like I'm probably right but just in different circumstances.
   
  (#35 (permalink)) Old
Member
Experienced TeenHelper
******
 
MisplacedDreamer's Avatar
 
Name: Annie
Gender: Female
Location: USA

Posts: 735
Blog Entries: 3
Join Date: June 12th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 23rd 2010, 01:51 AM

Quote:
What kind of moral reasoning I use is irrelevant. I was trying to be in the 11 year old's shoes in that situation. If the 11 year old used the "early stage" of moral reasoning, then he did the right thing according to his moral reasoning. And that's why I'm saying that I agree with his intentions, if his morals were the intention of getting the police involved, even though I disagree that he took it to the extreme. You're twisting words around. Because there are worse things than marijuana, I don't see why he should've called the cops when he could've just confronted his parents. I'm only agreeing on his potential intentions of his early stage of moral reasoning. Does that make sense?

Well, you kind of misunderstand. The moral reasoning is just the reasoning behind thinking/doing something. He could come up with a different conclusion based on his moral reasoning in the early stages. He didn't necessarily do the "right" thing based on his moral reasoning. And what someone sees as "right" in their stage of reasoning may be different from what is viewed as "right" in a different stage. Since we are older, most of the people in this thread should be using a higher stage of moral reasoning than the 11-year-old.

Do you think the child would have turned in his parents if he knew he would be removed from the home? Do you think that the child has knowledge about this drug beyond "it is bad?" I personally think this child hasn't researched the drugs yet and thinks this drug is as bad as cocaine, alcohol, or meth.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31
Guest
 
DeletedAccount31's Avatar
Edit avatar
 

Posts: n/a

Re: DARE Program Win - October 24th 2010, 01:02 AM

I actually commend this boy for turning his parents in. Whether or not marijuana is addictive or harmful, it's illegal, and therefore the parents' use needs to be reported. Not to mention, I don't believe that children should be raised in an environment where drugs of any kind are abound. I don't think children should not have to be subjected to that. But that is only my opinion.
   
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper
****
 
Chaos Theory's Avatar
 
Gender: Male

Posts: 301
Blog Entries: 8
Join Date: February 10th 2010

Re: DARE Program Win - October 24th 2010, 01:26 AM

It certainly takes a lot of bravery. I don't think I can turn my parents in (they practically have zero tolerance on these kind of things anyways) for anything just because they raised me so well. I don't know how those parents raised them, good or bad, but that boy certain has bravery.


To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question
   
  (#38 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough
*********
 
forfrosne's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 3,311
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 29th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 25th 2010, 12:04 AM

I'll say it again, it's a slippery slope. Anyone who's read George Orwell's 1984 knows what I mean. They already monitor our every move, with children turning parents in, how long until Big Brother steps up? The idea of 'bravery' is more propaganda used to tell people it's a good thing to snitch on your parents to the government. Just how they like it..
   
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough
*********
 
Xujhan's Avatar
 
Name: Fletcher
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Location: Ontario, Canada

Posts: 2,024
Join Date: January 17th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 25th 2010, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'll say it again, it's a slippery slope. Anyone who's read George Orwell's 1984 knows what I mean. They already monitor our every move, with children turning parents in, how long until Big Brother steps up? The idea of 'bravery' is more propaganda used to tell people it's a good thing to snitch on your parents to the government. Just how they like it..
It's a "slippery slope" in the other direction too. How bad do a parent's actions have to be before you'd endorse a child turning their parents in? Moreover, how can we expect children to differentiate between "harmless illegal" and "harmful illegal", particularly when the adult community can't itself agree on what qualifies as which? The way to prevent an Orwellian nightmare isn't to teach children to hush up their parents' crimes, it's to make crimes of only those things that warrant the title in the first place.


The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#40 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough
*********
 
forfrosne's Avatar
 
Name: Matthew
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Location: England

Posts: 3,311
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: August 29th 2009

Re: DARE Program Win - October 25th 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
It's a "slippery slope" in the other direction too. How bad do a parent's actions have to be before you'd endorse a child turning their parents in? Moreover, how can we expect children to differentiate between "harmless illegal" and "harmful illegal", particularly when the adult community can't itself agree on what qualifies as which? The way to prevent an Orwellian nightmare isn't to teach children to hush up their parents' crimes, it's to make crimes of only those things that warrant the title in the first place.
Agreed. You have to make illegal only the drugs that people agree actually should make you a criminal. That makes it an easy way for even children to know whether or not their parents are doing bad stuff.
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
dare, program, win

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.