TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 01:04 PM

If you and your partner decided for have IVF treatment for some reason or other, would you have your embryos screened?

I think I would, just so I could see whether or not there is a risk it would have a genetic disease or something similar.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 02:05 PM

No, because of the movie Gattaca. Lol

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Simplyme7 Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 02:21 PM

I do not know if I would if I personally decided to have IVF. It would definitely be something that I talk to my future husband about.

I personally think that the only reason to screen the embryos would be to check for genetic diseases or things that could harm my child's life in the long run. However, seeing as how I do not know of any of these diseases right now in my bfs family or mine, I wouldn't see a point to have them checked.

As for 'designer babies' I wouldn't want to chose anything about my child. I think that half the fun is the surprise and not knowing. I mean, we already know what gender they are going to be (Which I will definitely find out because I wouldn't be able to stand not knowing. xD) why should we ruin the surprise even more by knowing exactly what they'd look like?

That's just my opinion on the matter. =D

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 03:31 PM

Would you rather be surprised or have your child stuck with a trait that you do not want? I know my mother would replace me anytime with a child that is taller.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#5 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 06:15 PM

I would have them screened because I carry the cystic fibrosis gene and would not want to put any one through the full blown disease.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 06:18 PM

I would have them screened so that if they had any genetic diseases, I'd be able to prepare myself so that I'd be able to be the best parent I could be.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: If You Had IVF - October 20th 2010, 06:34 PM

Yes because if on the off-chance my genetic testing was wrong (had two tests, one positive, on negative) and it turned out it would be a male with Duchenne, I would terminate. That would be the only thing I would screen for.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: If You Had IVF - October 22nd 2010, 01:15 AM

Depends on exactly what traits they were testing for. Tay-sachs I would screen or fragile X (not that they run in my family.)
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: If You Had IVF - October 22nd 2010, 07:03 AM

In my opinion everyone should have their genes checked, and only some should be allowed to reproduce.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: If You Had IVF - October 22nd 2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
In my opinion everyone should have their genes checked, and only some should be allowed to reproduce.
I dont agree with this, since screening will get out hand and people will abort for the tiniest of things.

I am only screening for one thing since I am planning on getting screened for that anyway, In vitro or not.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: If You Had IVF - October 22nd 2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Which some?
So if someone carry's a gene for a disease then they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce because they pass on the gene?

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
BabyGirl767 Offline
Meow! Woof Woof! Moooo! Baaaa!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ashley

Re: If You Had IVF - October 24th 2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
I find this extremely offensive.
Basically (it feels like) your saying that since I have Neurofibromatosis that I shouldn't be able to have children.

NOT COOL

I was born with a genetic disorder called neurofibromatosis, it causes tumors to grow in my body on nerves,my spine,and under my skin. I have a tumor in the thalamus region of my brain. I also have heartburn,hypothyroidism and secondary adrenal insufficiency these are under control with medication.
I also have hip dysplasia and scoliosis.

Send a message via AIM to BabyGirl767  
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: If You Had IVF - October 25th 2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl747 View Post
Basically (it feels like) your saying that since I have Neurofibromatosis that I shouldn't be able to have children.

NOT COOL
Sweeite, it's saying that anyone who doesn't conform to one particular group of people's idea of perfect shouldn't be allowed to have children. Sounds suspiciously Nazi-esque to me.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: If You Had IVF - October 26th 2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
I dont agree with this, since screening will get out hand and people will abort for the tiniest of things.

I am only screening for one thing since I am planning on getting screened for that anyway, In vitro or not.
Ohh no, screening is not for the child specifically, we don't punish a child for a random error in the genes, such as randomly being autistic, with no reason. That would be unfair. What we do not allow is carelessness/irresponsibility, if you have a hereditary disease for let's say, some form of severe mental illness (and you would know because we would screen everyone at birth), you may not have children (dictated by my flow-chart below), but if you just get unlucky and randomly have an, error shall we say, there is no reason for punishment/abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHEAVENn View Post
Which some?
So if someone carry's a gene for a disease then they shouldn't be allowed to reproduce because they pass on the gene?
Depends on what it is, see my little flow-chart below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictional View Post
Sweeite, it's saying that anyone who doesn't conform to one particular group of people's idea of perfect shouldn't be allowed to have children. Sounds suspiciously Nazi-esque to me.
There's a different between conforming to perfection, and not being a burden to society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyGirl747 View Post

NOT COOL
I would say a good quota for what should or should not qualify would be, meeting all these conditions.
  • Do you have any hereditary problems?
  • If yes, is there a good chance that they will be inherited?
  • If yes, then is the problem severe?
  • If yes, is it severe enough where a person with it would be a burden to the state (unable to care for self/large economic burden)?
  • If yes, then do you have enough excess capital to treat/care for them for their entire lives?
  • If no, then sorry, you may not have a child.
  • If yes, then go ahead, but expect no help from the state.

All I want to do is improve the overall genetic quality of the human race, sure some people may be excluded, but being alive should be a privilege, not a right, you should have to justify your existence in the world, and show that you will not be a drain on society. It makes the world better for the many, and as any person who believes in democracy would say, "The needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few" believed to have been originally said by one of the greatest democratic philosophers ever, Aristotle.

A few other great quotes,

"I don’t want to punish anybody. But there are an extraordinary number of people whom I want to kill. I think it would be a good thing to make everybody come before a properly-appointed board, just as they might come before the income tax commissioner, and say every five years, or every seven years, just put them there, and say, “Sir, or madam, now will you be kind enough to justify your existence?”

If you’re not producing as much as you consume or perhaps a little more, then, clearly, we cannot use the big organizations of our society for the purpose of keeping you alive, because your life does not benefit us and it can’t be of very much use to yourself."
- George Bernard Shaw

Space Flight Awards

Last edited by Guile; October 26th 2010 at 08:22 AM.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: If You Had IVF - October 27th 2010, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Ohh no, screening is not for the child specifically, we don't punish a child for a random error in the genes, such as randomly being autistic, with no reason. That would be unfair. What we do not allow is carelessness/irresponsibility, if you have a hereditary disease for let's say, some form of severe mental illness (and you would know because we would screen everyone at birth), you may not have children (dictated by my flow-chart below), but if you just get unlucky and randomly have an, error shall we say, there is no reason for punishment/abortion.

Depends on what it is, see my little flow-chart below.

There's a different between conforming to perfection, and not being a burden to society.

I would say a good quota for what should or should not qualify would be, meeting all these conditions.
  • Do you have any hereditary problems?
  • If yes, is there a good chance that they will be inherited?
  • If yes, then is the problem severe?
  • If yes, is it severe enough where a person with it would be a burden to the state (unable to care for self/large economic burden)?
  • If yes, then do you have enough excess capital to treat/care for them for their entire lives?
  • If no, then sorry, you may not have a child.
  • If yes, then go ahead, but expect no help from the state.
All I want to do is improve the overall genetic quality of the human race, sure some people may be excluded, but being alive should be a privilege, not a right, you should have to justify your existence in the world, and show that you will not be a drain on society. It makes the world better for the many, and as any person who believes in democracy would say, "The needs of the many outweigh the desires of the few" believed to have been originally said by one of the greatest democratic philosophers ever, Aristotle.

A few other great quotes,

"I don’t want to punish anybody. But there are an extraordinary number of people whom I want to kill. I think it would be a good thing to make everybody come before a properly-appointed board, just as they might come before the income tax commissioner, and say every five years, or every seven years, just put them there, and say, “Sir, or madam, now will you be kind enough to justify your existence?”

If you’re not producing as much as you consume or perhaps a little more, then, clearly, we cannot use the big organizations of our society for the purpose of keeping you alive, because your life does not benefit us and it can’t be of very much use to yourself." - George Bernard Shaw
Sinse you like Eugenics so much did you know Obama's Science advisor was a co author of a book who wanted forced abortions and sterilization?in serious discussion Hitler's dead move on.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: If You Had IVF - October 27th 2010, 05:24 PM

I would definitely want them screened for possible diseases, but the other stuff wouldn't be important to know (could be interesting though).

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Re: If You Had IVF - October 28th 2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers View Post
Sinse you like Eugenics so much did you know Obama's Science advisor was a co author of a book who wanted forced abortions and sterilization?in serious discussion Hitler's dead move on.
Ohh the dreaded Hitler comeback, might aswell close the thread then, Godwin's law strikes again.

Space Flight Awards

(#18 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: If You Had IVF - October 28th 2010, 07:16 PM

yeah i probably would. if you have the chance i don't see why you wouldn't. either to consider termination or prepare yourself for caring for the kid.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

Closed Thread