TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 5th 2010, 09:56 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a groovy day.

GIRLS - learn to drive a 'manual transmission'. It just might come in handy some day!!

Click on THIS to read a story.

GUYS should know how to drive a 'manual transmission' too!!

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 5th 2010, 10:21 PM

I know how to drive manual and I know self-defense techniques thanks to my over protective dad.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 12:57 AM

I can drive manual. Driving a manual car is seen as the norm over here really.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 01:24 AM

Lol I know how to drive a manual...but how does that relate to the story???

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 01:27 AM

I would be fine with driving a manual.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 01:35 AM

I can drive standard just fine... But what does that have to do with the story?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 02:34 AM

The only real reason why people should get a manual transmission is for people to concentrate more on driving than text messages and phone calls. Don't get me wrong...I love manual transmissions and I will definitely get a manual whenever I can afford a different car, but I don't think they're that essential. If you drive a truck and actually use it to haul things then it'd be important but otherwise not that important. Or drag race or obsessed with saving gas mileage.

Last edited by Brandon; November 6th 2010 at 02:48 AM.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
The only real reason why people should get a manual transmission is for people to concentrate more on driving than text messages and phone calls.
People aren't constantly shifting.

I have driven a manual for five years and I learned on an automatic.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 04:07 AM

I don't think it's totally essential, but it's definitely something good to learn. It's just like learning to ride a bike - once you know how, you never forget. I haven't learned yet, but I plan to.... eventually.... :P

“Don't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
People aren't constantly shifting.

I have driven a manual for five years and I learned on an automatic.
I know that...I can drive a manual too. On the highways you don't have to shift as much but when you're in neighborhoods and public streets where there's pedestrians you have to shift at some point. I'm not saying that having a manual transmission will prevent people from texting, all I'm saying is that it either helps you focus on driving better or REALLY fucks up your reaction time. If people text and drive manual at the same time, God help you!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 05:03 AM

i positivally hate driving through town and stopping beside someone who is in a nice old muscle car and the light turning green and hearing those grinding gears ... i dont see whats so hard about it i have driven a manual since before i got my license...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Elle_Dorado Offline
Average Joe

Name: Michelle

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 05:05 AM

I drive standard!

-Michelle

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 05:09 AM

Can someone explain how manual transmission vehicles fit in with this story because I read it several times and don't see the connection?

I can drive manual cars although we also have an automatic. I learned how to drive initially on the automatic so I could have experience on the road then learned driving in a manual. The only thing I don't particularly care for in many manuals is that it's a small shift area and I find it much easier if the shift area is larger, so you can be perfectly sure it is in the gear you want it to be in. But now I don't drive as I don't have a need to since I get a ride from my mother who has to go to the same train station anyways. Plus, parking at campus is too expensive with not enough room, you'd have to park elsewhere then take a bus into campus anyways.

I think if you're texting and driving on a manual or on an automatic, it's a good chance it'll screw you up.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 09:22 AM

Hi Emmma, Myss and WOW!

HOW does driving a manual/standard transmission have anything to do with this story?

GOOD QUESTION!!

I don't know.

lol

I thought I knew - but I made the mistake of simply going along with someone ELSE'S interpretation of the story [Their 'assumption' about what went on] and just ran with it.

MY MISTAKE.

If you click on THIS you can see where I was mislead. On that page is says, "None of them could operate a manual transmission so they made her drive."

I should have looked deeper into the story.

SORRY.

But still...... I think everyone should at least have some idea as to how to drive a car with a manual/standard transmission. Just like I think that every driver should know how to change a tire.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 11:52 AM

I think the idea is that if she had a standard transmission, one of the kidnappers would have driven her car instead and she wouldn't have had the opportunity to crash the car.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 12:07 PM

Ah, I get it now

But I do drive a manual. It's the primary transmission over here.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
l0stCause Offline
chaos walks
Junior TeenHelper

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 6th 2010, 08:20 PM

standard is the only way to go

“Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.”

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Marshmello Kid Offline
Curioser and curioser . . .
Average Joe

Name: Reid

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 7th 2010, 02:47 AM

I wasn't allowed to drive automatic until I learned how to drive standard, lmao.

“If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want
them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”
-Albert Einstein

(#19 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 7th 2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig View Post
Hi Emmma, Myss and WOW!
HOW does driving a manual/standard transmission have anything to do with this story?
I don't know.
I thought I knew - but I made the mistake of simply going along with someone ELSE'S interpretation of the story [Their 'assumption' about what went on] and just ran with it.
MY MISTAKE
If you click on THIS you can see where I was mislead. On that page is says, "None of them could operate a manual transmission so they made her drive."
I should have looked deeper into the story.
SORRY.
But still...... I think everyone should at least have some idea as to how to drive a car with a manual/standard transmission. Just like I think that every driver should know how to change a tire.
GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!
Lol that is okay, I can see where you were coming from anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
The only real reason why people should get a manual transmission is for people to concentrate more on driving than text messages and phone calls.
Here, the law prevents you from doing that. If you are caught using a hand held device while driving you can be fined! Dialling 111 (that is our emergency number) is an exception though!

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 7th 2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma01 View Post

Here, the law prevents you from doing that. If you are caught using a hand held device while driving you can be fined! Dialling 111 (that is our emergency number) is an exception though!
That's the law here too, Emma. But it doesn't stop people from doing it.

Anyway, I can't really 'drive' a manual. I can crash one though. I can crash any car. (Which would be why I don't have my license. )

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 7th 2010, 10:38 AM

When I had driving lessons my dad made me do them in a manual car He said at least then I won't be stuck with automatics all my life.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 8th 2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
That's the law here too, Emma. But it doesn't stop people from doing it.
Never said that, I see people doing it, I just disagreed with the statement that the ONLY reason why people should get a manual is so not to text etc...and that is not even a reason as to why people should get manuals, as the law should prevent people to not do it.

People speed in cars even though its against the law, but I know for a fact that most people on the roads try NOT to go over the limit, because it is a rule!

(#23 (permalink)) Old
LittleMiss Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Christine

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 8th 2010, 09:44 AM

My car is a manual, my parents believe that if you want to be a good driver, you must drive a manual. Which is ridiculous considering that to get a new manual these days you need to order one specially.

Happy to talk about anything and everything.
Send me a message any time, my proverbial door is open

Laughter is the best medicine
Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 10th 2010, 06:33 AM

I just think people should learn how to drive a manual, in case of emergency. Most people with manuals can easily drive an automatic also, but for an auto driver to drive a manual...well its quite hard as with auto your left foot is like idle, but with manual it controls the clutch.
If in an emergency you had to drive a manual but couldn't, well that could cause problems.

OH but that totally goes for guys too!

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Alrex Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alex

Re: GIRLS - Learn to drive a 'manual transmission'!! - November 10th 2010, 12:17 PM

I drove standard for racing and escaping from the police, but I am now old and drive a 1993 bright green toyota tercel

Closed Thread