TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives


You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

  • Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!


Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  (#1 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while
********
 
TigerTank77's Avatar
 
Name: Ben
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Location: NY

Posts: 1,534
Join Date: January 5th 2009

City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 03:00 AM

http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmo.../16019641.html

Quote:
Controversy is brewing over a city-sponsored anti-racism campaign that calls on Caucasians to recognize their “white privilege”.


At least one Edmonton city councillor says the campaign makes a point, while a Conservative politician is saying the wording is all wrong.
Thoughts?

I'm still trying to formulate a response to this that people won't bait into "hurr racism."


Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I don’t seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.





  Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
FlyingTrue's Avatar
 
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Location: United States (FL)

Posts: 1,048
Join Date: March 31st 2010

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 03:44 AM

I'm getting the impression that they are trying fight racism with more racism. As one of the people said in the article, this definitely appears counterproductive.
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 03:52 AM

The approach to this is hilarious: make an anti-racism campaign that is based purely on racism. How ironic. However, not all "whites" receive such an advantage as it's a very large group of many different people who are not all benefited in the same way from their skin colour, whereas the Aboriginal group is very focused and well-defined. The group does have a valid point in that Aboriginals tend to have a harder time with getting certain things (not sure if this applies to all). Other things like learning about other minority groups can be beneficial so a person can know they're not the only group targeted by racism.

I'm not sure it's going to be effective for them because they want to resolve the issues after identifying it but by using such a broad definition of "white group", it's not going to happen. Learning about history of other minority groups may help in learning to resolve the issues but when there's such a strong focus on finger-pointing at people with the "white advantage" and screaming that they have that advantage, that doesn't resolve anything. Their idea is that one culture or race is more superior than others and they don't seem to want to get away from this thinking, so I don't see how it can ever lead to anti-racism when they're making the racism more profound. I also would bet that when something doesn't go right, they're going to point and bash at this "white advantage" more and more. Fighting fire with fire won't work.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ShimmeringFaerie's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,990
Join Date: March 22nd 2010

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 10:27 AM

I'm not entirely sure how the campaign is racist? I mean, I guess it is more focused at white people, but that just makes sense. What would be the point in an anti-racism campaign that focuses on the people who are usually discriminated against?

"White privilege" is something that exists. And I don't just mean white people are more likely to find a place to rent. It's often less obvious than that. If you turn on the television, the majority of people in ads or on television shows are white. If you walk down the make-up isle, the majority of make-up is designed for a fairer complexion.

When you're part of a minority group, stereotypes are placed on you. Caucasians don't have to deal with that. When a Caucasian person is really drunk or commits a crime, it's because they're an idiot or just a bad person. However, when a black person is really drunk or commits a crime, it's because they're black and suddenly every black person is assumed to be the same. At airport security, I'm pretty sure you could pick out which people are going to be the most thoroughly searched because they are the non-Caucasians, usually people of Middle-Eastern descent.

In Australia, we only just had our first Indigenous person elected to the federal government. And afterwards, there were so many people saying that if they'd known he was Indigenous, they wouldn't have voted for him. That obviously he was just going to focus on "his" people now that he had been elected. I'm constantly hearing people go on about how many benefits Indigenous Australians get when it's just not true. Or how Indigenous Australians are all alcoholics when, statistically, more white Australians have alcohol dependency problems than Indigenous Australians.

The problem is that whenever "white privilege" is mentioned, so many white people get all angry about discrimination whilst failing to even stop and consider the issue. They are so caught up in this idea of "reverse-racism" and how offended they are that they can't stop to think that that feeling is something that is faced by minority groups every day. No one can argue that they don't get any advantages (social or otherwise) for being part of the dominant race or culture of a country. Acknowledging that there are advantages for being part of the dominant culture is not bad or going against your own culture. It just gives you a better understanding of how racism operates in society and a better understanding of how to fight it.



PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
   
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post
I'm not entirely sure how the campaign is racist? I mean, I guess it is more focused at white people, but that just makes sense. What would be the point in an anti-racism campaign that focuses on the people who are usually discriminated against?

"White privilege" is something that exists. And I don't just mean white people are more likely to find a place to rent. It's often less obvious than that. If you turn on the television, the majority of people in ads or on television shows are white. If you walk down the make-up isle, the majority of make-up is designed for a fairer complexion.

When you're part of a minority group, stereotypes are placed on you. Caucasians don't have to deal with that. When a Caucasian person is really drunk or commits a crime, it's because they're an idiot or just a bad person. However, when a black person is really drunk or commits a crime, it's because they're black and suddenly every black person is assumed to be the same. At airport security, I'm pretty sure you could pick out which people are going to be the most thoroughly searched because they are the non-Caucasians, usually people of Middle-Eastern descent.

In Australia, we only just had our first Indigenous person elected to the federal government. And afterwards, there were so many people saying that if they'd known he was Indigenous, they wouldn't have voted for him. That obviously he was just going to focus on "his" people now that he had been elected. I'm constantly hearing people go on about how many benefits Indigenous Australians get when it's just not true. Or how Indigenous Australians are all alcoholics when, statistically, more white Australians have alcohol dependency problems than Indigenous Australians.

The problem is that whenever "white privilege" is mentioned, so many white people get all angry about discrimination whilst failing to even stop and consider the issue. They are so caught up in this idea of "reverse-racism" and how offended they are that they can't stop to think that that feeling is something that is faced by minority groups every day. No one can argue that they don't get any advantages (social or otherwise) for being part of the dominant race or culture of a country. Acknowledging that there are advantages for being part of the dominant culture is not bad or going against your own culture. It just gives you a better understanding of how racism operates in society and a better understanding of how to fight it.
I'm not going to argue against the different perceptions white people and minor groups get for crimes or other things because that is pretty true. However, the goal of the campaign is to resolve the issues involving racism, which is difficult when everything they say is based on racism. The way I see it, supposing they get racism to stop for other groups, by still using their racist views, racism won't stop, it's inevitable this way.

As a white person, I'm not offended by their talk of white advantage because it does seem to be true. For them to be equal in other's eyes, this advantage has to be gone and everyone treated with it. But you cant have that happen when the premise of everything that the campaign stands for is promoting racism. If it were using racism of any other group as their premise, it'd still be just as ineffective.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Member
I've been here a while
********
 
ShimmeringFaerie's Avatar
 
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Posts: 1,990
Join Date: March 22nd 2010

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
I'm not going to argue against the different perceptions white people and minor groups get for crimes or other things because that is pretty true. However, the goal of the campaign is to resolve the issues involving racism, which is difficult when everything they say is based on racism. The way I see it, supposing they get racism to stop for other groups, by still using their racist views, racism won't stop, it's inevitable this way.

As a white person, I'm not offended by their talk of white advantage because it does seem to be true. For them to be equal in other's eyes, this advantage has to be gone and everyone treated with it. But you cant have that happen when the premise of everything that the campaign stands for is promoting racism. If it were using racism of any other group as their premise, it'd still be just as ineffective.
I'm still really unsure what you mean by saying that they are using racism as the basis of their campaign. But I'll admit that I've only read the one article. Can you explain why you think that the campaign is racist?



PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.
   
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough
*********
 
dr2005's Avatar
 
Name: Dave
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Location: UK

Posts: 2,221
Join Date: February 14th 2010

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 10th 2010, 08:22 PM

While the approach is perhaps a questionable one, it does seem something of an error to deem it as being "based on racism". It certainly doesn't appear to my eyes to be promoting the belief that genetic factors result in an inherently superior race, which is what racism is defined as (paraphrased horribly but there we go). Trying to bring issues of "white privilege" to the public's attention is not to my mind an inherently racist act. Where I can see it coming unstuck, however, is that it may provide ammunition for furthering resentment from some within ethnic minorities and other groups towards Caucasians, and that in itself would be counterproductive.

I suppose it's a case of "Nice idea, but further work needed."


"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
   
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?
**********
 
OMFG!You'reActuallySmart!'s Avatar
 

Posts: 4,500
Blog Entries: 10
Join Date: December 19th 2009

Re: City's anti-racism campaign fights 'white privilege' - November 11th 2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post


I'm still really unsure what you mean by saying that they are using racism as the basis of their campaign. But I'll admit that I've only read the one article. Can you explain why you think that the campaign is racist?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
While the approach is perhaps a questionable one, it does seem something of an error to deem it as being "based on racism". It certainly doesn't appear to my eyes to be promoting the belief that genetic factors result in an inherently superior race, which is what racism is defined as (paraphrased horribly but there we go). Trying to bring issues of "white privilege" to the public's attention is not to my mind an inherently racist act. Where I can see it coming unstuck, however, is that it may provide ammunition for furthering resentment from some within ethnic minorities and other groups towards Caucasians, and that in itself would be counterproductive.

I suppose it's a case of "Nice idea, but further work needed."
True, it's not promoting the belief of genetic factors result in a superior race, which I suppose I should've clarified so that's my mistake. However, it does take the stance that the race is perceived by society to be superior even if there are no superior genetics. Bringing the "white privilege" to the public's attention isn't racist to me either but when they're constantly doing it with the goal of removing it such that no racism exists but haven't done a single thing that puts a dent in it, that just returns to pointing at it more aggressively as being superior. The way I see it, when a group begins labeling one race as superior and another as inferior, and point this out aggressively and keep pointing it out while showing resentment towards that superior race, it becomes racism (or about to become racism) in my eyes.


I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)
   
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
antiracism, campaign, city, fights, privilege, white

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All material copyright ©1998-2019, TeenHelp.
Terms | Legal | Privacy | Conduct | Complaints

Powered by vBulletin®.
Copyright ©2000-2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search engine optimization by vBSEO.
Theme developed in association with vBStyles.