TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FlyingTrue Offline
I've been here a while

High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 12th 2010, 06:15 PM

Appalling:
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/25763754/detail.html
  Send a message via Skype™ to FlyingTrue 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 12th 2010, 10:28 PM

They probably wanted to make sure that the rape allegation had basis before it went to the police and ruined the male's life.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 12th 2010, 10:34 PM

The school handled it very badly. If they wanted her checked out by the doctor first fine, then that shoud have been the first thing. She should NOT have been sitting in that office for two hours. Also that bathroom should NOT have been cleaned before it had been verified if she had been raped or not. That's tampering with a crime scene, which it was unless it was proven she wasn't raped. Obviously if dectectives did eventually show up it was proved she was raped, and now the bastard might get free because of the school being overly cautious.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
newbie552 Offline
choose wisely
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Robin

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 13th 2010, 04:03 AM

I want to go to this school now and meet the staff to 'talk' with them.

You're amazing just the way you are

(#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 13th 2010, 07:07 AM

They should have sent her to the doctor, meanwhile asked the officer to investigate the scene on his own with no mention of names to see if they have any evidence that a rape occurred. If there's no evidence, there's no need to charge him as you can't prove it anyway, and there's no good ruining his name. If there is evidence, then file a legal rape charge etc.

That's how I would have handled it anyway.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 13th 2010, 07:25 AM

I think they handled it wrong. It isn't up to the school to determine weather she was lying or was telling the truth. She definitly shouldn't have been forced to sit in the office for two hours to write out the incident. And the bathroom definitly shouldnt have been cleaned

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 13th 2010, 08:42 AM

I think the best way to summarize the events would be a cluster fuck and stupidity.

I don't agree with a single thing the school did. First, it's not their job to investigate crimes, that's one reason why law enforcement exist. Having her write out a report may be for a policy but the police take precedence in investigation. Second, not taking her to the hospital immediately but instead having her sit in the office for 2 hours could put her health in danger and it's civil duty to report a crime, which is what she did but the school chose not to. Lastly, having the crime area get cleaned up is a second crime: tampering with evidence.

It seems like they refused to want to alert the police until they were done playing CSI.

Regardless if the rapist is found, if I were the girl's parents, I'd be suing that school back to the stone age. It is questionable though why they called the girl's guardians though because they probably would've called the police or grabbed the girl out of the school to take her for medical attention ASAP.

The school's actions are hard to understand because in one sense, it's clear they didn't want to report it but on the other hand, they called someone who likely would've reported it right away.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 15th 2010, 07:46 AM

My only thinking on this, is maybe the girl has been known to tell tales, and they wanted to be sure before calling the police. However, they should have called the police FIRST. Stupidity wins again.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 15th 2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
They probably wanted to make sure that the rape allegation had basis before it went to the police and ruined the male's life.
That isn't the school's decision to make - where a suspected crime has been committed, which is the case here, the matter should be handed over to the authorities without delay so they can make a full and proper enquiry. That is their job, not the school's. Being asked to answer questions by a police officer in such an enquiry is not going to "ruin" anyone's life, and would have been far more constructive than what allegedly took place. At the very least the pupil allegedly attacked should have been taken to hospital for medical examination and treatment rather than sat in an office for 2 hours. Were one being exceptionally harsh, it could almost be deemed obstruction of justice particularly given potential evidence was destroyed in the routine cleaning of the bathroom in question.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Blackwing Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Zack

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 15th 2010, 09:35 PM

School should have called he police reguardless of if this happened or not.

Send a message via AIM to Blackwing  
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 15th 2010, 09:41 PM

Yup. Definitely. I can see why they did it, but it was stupid, illegal and morally wrong.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 15th 2010, 10:05 PM

How ridiculous. I hope that the school gets in huge trouble for waiting so long to report it. If there is any reason to think that a crime may have been committed, it's time to call the police... not make the girl sit in the office for two hours and clean up any evidence that there might be.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 16th 2010, 11:52 PM

Considering the girl is a minor, the police should have been called instantly. It's not the school's place to determine if she was raped and how the hell could they figure that out? Talk to the boy? Examine her? Chances are there is little evidence they can collect now.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: High School Refuses To Call Police After Student Raped On-Campus - November 17th 2010, 02:27 AM

The police should have been called. It's very wrong of the school to act that way.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
Closed Thread