TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 10:41 PM

I really don't understand it. Many people say how unwarranted it is for us to be in Iraq and Afghanistan, but then turn around and praise the troops who willingly joined and went to fight that war. Why is that?

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
I really don't understand it. Many people say how unwarranted it is for us to be in Iraq and Afghanistan, but then turn around and praise the troops who willingly joined and went to fight that war. Why is that?
well im not someone whos apposed to the war but ill try to answer ...

they support the troops cause there risking there lives for there country fighting for there freeddoms even if you dont like the war you got to say the people who are fighting are worthy of supporting cause without them there would be no country and freedoms the we so lightly take for granted these days... if all the soldiers currently in the armed forces decide to desert your country would be defenseless from invaders. by supporting them your showing you apreciate there sacrafices there making for you safety.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:06 PM

I don't support the war/wars. However the troops didn't start that war. They didn't choose to be put into that situation. But honestly someone's got to be our army, someone's got to be there to fight for us. I don't begrduge the people brave enough to join the armed forces, I certainly couldn't do it.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#4 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
well im not someone whos apposed to the war but ill try to answer ...

they support the troops cause there risking there lives for there country fighting for there freeddoms even if you dont like the war you got to say the people who are fighting are worthy of supporting cause without them there would be no country and freedoms the we so lightly take for granted these days... if all the soldiers currently in the armed forces decide to desert your country would be defenseless from invaders. by supporting them your showing you apreciate there sacrafices there making for you safety.
But if you don't support the war then it's probably because you don't believe that it is necessary to your freedom.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
I don't support the war/wars. However the troops didn't start that war. They didn't choose to be put into that situation. But honestly someone's got to be our army, someone's got to be there to fight for us. I don't begrduge the people brave enough to join the armed forces, I certainly couldn't do it.
But lots of them DID choose to be put in that situation. Plenty of people have joined the army specifically because they wanted to be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:11 PM

I guess it's a political thing. I'm friends with soldiers and they're glad that they're in a war right now. Otherwise, they'd be bored. Some of them even want to go back and do explicit things to the enemies and such. They're pretty crazy people, and I know that they don't represent the entire soldier population. I guess people are like "the guvrnmant iz korupt & iz stoopid 4 goin 2 da war but i luv dem solders 4 doin what therey're tld"

(#7 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
But if you don't support the war then it's probably because you don't believe that it is necessary to your freedom.
ill put it simply would you rather support the soldiers no matter what or would you rather them all desert cause everyone thinks there monsters cause there doing whats being commanded of them ?

(#8 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
ill put it simply would you rather support the soldiers no matter what or would you rather them all desert cause everyone thinks there monsters cause there doing whats being commanded of them ?

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I support soldiers in general. We definitely need good, well-trained dedicated soldiers. And, of course those soldiers who joined the army before the war started and then were sent there can't help it and are only doing what they have to. But how can we ignore that many soldiers joined the army SPECIFICALLY to fight this war that many people say is unwarranted? If it is really an unwarranted war how can we support the people who WILLINGLY fight it?

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Why does it have to be one or the other?

I support soldiers in general. We definitely need good, well-trained dedicated soldiers. And, of course those soldiers who joined the army before the war started and then were sent there can't help it and are only doing what they have to. But how can we ignore that many soldiers joined the army SPECIFICALLY to fight this war that many people say is unwarranted? If it is really an unwarranted war how can we support the people who WILLINGLY fight it?
its a hypothetical question

but how do you know which soldiers enlisted before the war and who enlisted after ? maybe the soldiers who joined the armed forces wanted to see the world and travel and maybe adventure ? i dont know about the uk or canada but in the usa if you join the armed forces theyll put you through college to be a number of things maybe thats why alot of people are still enlisting college is alot of money. not all soldiers who enlist see action either...

(#10 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
its a hypothetical question

but how do you know which soldiers enlisted before the war and who enlisted after ? maybe the soldiers who joined the armed forces wanted to see the world and travel and maybe adventure ? i dont know about the uk or canada but in the usa if you join the armed forces theyll put you through college to be a number of things maybe thats why alot of people are still enlisting college is alot of money. not all soldiers who enlist see action either...
But then, if the soldiers are only enlisting because they want a free education is that really honourable?

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 12th 2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
But then, if the soldiers are only enlisting because they want a free education is that really honourable?
maybe maybe not there still risking there lives if they get called for duty. and still serving for there country . i doubt many people just enlist for the schooling but it is a nice incentive(sp?).. i really cant speak for everyone nor am i gonna try to.. i doubt really many people even think like i do

(#12 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 13th 2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
maybe maybe not there still risking there lives if they get called for duty. and still serving for there country . i doubt many people just enlist for the schooling but it is a nice incentive(sp?).. i really cant speak for everyone nor am i gonna try to.. i doubt really many people even think like i do
Yeah, I guess no matter what their intention was joining the forces, they still sacrifice a lot. Also, perhaps even if the war is not completely justified or necessary, they are still doing worthwhile, honorable things.

Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 13th 2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess no matter what their intention was joining the forces, they still sacrifice a lot. Also, perhaps even if the war is not completely justified or necessary, they are still doing worthwhile, honorable things.
yep reason why you see people who say they dont support the war but they support the troops....

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 13th 2010, 05:39 PM

People don't condone wars.. but they are supporting the troops who are placed at war... its a job, risking their lives. Just because they don't think its right doesnt mean they have to hate/discourage those fighting for our country
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Strife Offline
Average Joe

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 13th 2010, 06:31 PM

I don't support the war or troops and I doubt I ever will.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 15th 2010, 07:58 PM

The individual soldier does not choose where he is sent to fight, and if you talk to a lot of those who have served in areas such as Iraq and Afghanistan you will find a whole conflicting range of opinions on whether they should have been sent there or not. Nonetheless, they put that aside and focus on doing the best job they can in what is often a bad situation, and that is why persons such as myself who did not agree with the initiating acts of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan can still support or at least respect the troops themselves. That, and the fact that historically a lot of troops died for the freedoms I enjoy so I probably owe them one anyway.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Heretic Offline
The Architect
I've been here a while

Name: [060191.1723]

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 16th 2010, 07:20 AM

Quote:
The war in Iraq has absolutely no necessity to it related to the freedom of Americans. If anything, it's further destabilized the Persian Gulf area, because Iran's main adversary (Iraq) is no longer a Baath stronghold. Iran and Iraq kept each other in check until the United States set up a puppet government after invading on false pretenses.

Anyway.....

I don't support the Iraqi conflict, and although I support the original mission behind the Afghan War, it's become so muddled with other issues that it's hard to tell what it is we're trying to do there. That being said, my support for the armed forces is not influenced by my lack of enthusiasm for the causes of the two wars we're engaged in. They're doing their jobs, and for the most part, trying to help the civilians of both nations while protecting U.S. interests. I fully respect their sacrifices and courage, and I'm thankful to the many men and women who have elected to serve in the military.

Ethos
Pathos
Logos

Send a message via MSN to Heretic  
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 16th 2010, 07:08 PM

You can respect someone for doing something they believe is good, even if you don't agree with them about what is good. I can respect Michael's intelligence and dedication to his ideas, for example, even though I think his ideas are many centuries out of date.

In the same way, I don't think the US should have launched a full-scale war in the Middle East, but I can respect the bravery of soldiers who went to fight. And of course that respect will depend on what reasons they have for fighting. If they do it because they see it as a duty to fight for their country, I can respect that. If they honestly feel that it's the best way to secure freedom for people in the Middle East, I can respect that. If they just, and pardon the crude slang, "want to blow the nuts off a towel-head", of doesn't I don't respect that at all.

And yes, I have heard someone say that seriously.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 17th 2010, 10:53 AM

I'm not really for war, but I do support troops because they are doing what they believe to be the right thing and for their bravery in going ahead and doing what they think is right, even though they know they could get injured or die.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 18th 2010, 06:00 AM

I don't support any war, at all (blame it on my Quaker Univeristy. Pacifists.). But I support the troops. Those are my friends over there, fighting for something that they believe, for freedom, because freedom isn't free. And someone has to do it. I support them, they didn't start this war, or any war, they just answer the call for their nation. And I'm proud of our men and women, just not the war.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: How can those against the war support the troops? - November 18th 2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
freedom isn't free
I feel really bad that the first thing that came to mind when you said that was the song from Team America. Sorry. Agree completely with what you said though - it's why that very phrase is on the Vietnam War memorial.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

Closed Thread