TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 12:12 AM

I don't know if this debate has already been done, but there's many types of drivers out there. There's three basic categories, I think, for drivers:

1. People who usually drive under the speed limit
2. People who usually drive the speed limit (including the speed of travel or 5-10 miles over the speed limit)
3. And you have people who usually drive over the speed limit.

That is very basic, mind you.

Arguably, there's pro's and con's to each category:

Slow drivers drive, well...slow, but if you drive under the speed limit, does that mean that you're a responsible driver?

If you can drive over the speed limit, does that mean that you can handle your car better and have a better reaction time than people who drive the speed limit?

Are people who drive the speed limit responsible because they follow the rules?

Do "good" drivers never get into accidents?

Before you state your opinion, tell me what kind of driver you are (you can be specific, or you can just totally ignore my categories and make your own), and then give your opinion.

And lastly, based on what you believe to be a "good" driver, would you consider you one?

Let me know.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 12:35 AM

I'm going to be honest here and say that around 99% of the time I'm going over the speed limit about double the speed limit so I guess I fall into the 3rd option. Now let me explain why, the speed limits here are ridiculous seriously on the freeway the speed limit posted if 60km I usually go 110-120, I know this is not responsible and I know it can cause accidents but it feels really good to go fast (and yes that is the best answer I have as to why I go fast) I get about average 1 speeding ticket about every month and a half or 2 months.

I absolutely hate slow drivers, people going about 20km in a 60km zone and they stop out of the nowhere and turn without getting into the turn line or putting their signal light. They are defiantly not good drivers I find that that slow drivers are usually older people. People who follow the law and drive in the speed limit (which is probably no one here) are the good ones according to the law and I guess the safe ones. I drive fast because I know I have really good reflexes and can apply them when needed.

I don’t think there is a certain group of people that don’t get into car accidents, everyone can have an accident, slow drivers because they drive slow and can cause accidents, fast drivers because they drive irrational and normal drivers because they may not have good enough reflexes to avoid one.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 02:53 AM

Driving too fast increases the likelihood of an accident and it increases the severity of said accident. Recently in my city, a young teen girl was killed because the driver lost control. He was speeding. About a month before that, a group of teen boys were driving too fast and crashed and one of them died. There have also been a lot of severe crashes on a street near me due to the drivers speeding. Excessive speed is very unnecessary and it put not only you, but everyone else in danger.

Driving too slow is also unsafe. When there is a slow driver, that can cause a lot of chaos on the road. It can cause backups and increase the risk of a crash.

Driving fast does NOT make you a better driver at all. It simply means you are breaking the speed limit and increasing the risk of a fatal crash.

Driving slow does not make you responsible. If anything, I would say it makes you irresponsible. Driving too slow, like driving too fast, puts people at risk.

Simply following the speed limit does not make you responsible. A good responsible driver not only follows the speed limit, they watch out for other cars, refrain from cell phone use while driving, follow traffic laws, etc.

I recently started driving so I don't really think I can categorize myself just yet. I follow the speed limit, pay attention, etc. I would call myself a new driver.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 05:35 AM

i hate slow drivers specially getting behind little old ladies going 20 in a 50 zone i tend to blow there doors off while blaring my horn...

i consider a good driver someone who was raised around motorsports like riding gocarts,dirtbikes,4wheelers,3wheelers and someone whos had alot of life experiance driving...

id catorgize myself as someone who drives over the speed limit i love going to the backroads around and seeing how fast i can go before i near the 4way intersection.. first time i hit 140 was amazing i have since beat that by a bit i tend to go 20mph over posted speedlimit

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 06:01 AM

I've noticed I usually drive over the speed limit, not by much but still. I consider my driving good, not because of my speed but because I am observant of the traffic flow around me so I can usually make safe manuevers even though others may call them unsafe for various reasons.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
I'm going to be honest here and say that around 99% of the time I'm going over the speed limit about double the speed limit so I guess I fall into the 3rd option. Now let me explain why, the speed limits here are ridiculous seriously on the freeway the speed limit posted if 60km I usually go 110-120, I know this is not responsible and I know it can cause accidents but it feels really good to go fast (and yes that is the best answer I have as to why I go fast) I get about average 1 speeding ticket about every month and a half or 2 months.
Are you going with the flow of traffic? The highway where I live, the speed limit is posted at 55 mph (or about 89 KM), but the flow of traffic is actually 80 mph (or 128 KM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
People who follow the law and drive in the speed limit (which is probably no one here) are the good ones according to the law and I guess the safe ones. I drive fast because I know I have really good reflexes and can apply them when needed.

That's a little general though because if I were to drive the speed limit but at the same time text while driving...my reaction time is significantly increased and thus puts more lives at risk. But there's many things that regular drivers could do that could put people's lives at risk. I think that driving the speed limit is only good for cops, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're a good driver. A lot of the professional race car drivers have gotten speeding tickets, so maybe you do have good reflexes and such. I'm not gonna argue with that.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 07:01 AM

Okay firstly, I usually drive within 5 km/h within the speed limit, sometimes by accident I can go over, and sometimes I just slow down a bit, so I really think I fall into the 2nd category.

One thing wrong with the speed limit is that it is so hard to determine the cut-off point. For example, here, the speed limit is 50km/h, but for example over the long weekend it was stressed that if you were over 54, you got fined. So is the speed limit 54 now? What if someone was going 55km/h? That difference is MINIMAL, and im sure anyone who is fined for driving at 55km/h would be very very annoyed that someone driving at 54km/h was not fined.

If you drive under, I dont really think you are being irresponsible, but more inconsiderate. I know this is beside the point but like at swimming pools, there are fast lanes and slow lanes, and people are asked to move if you are too slow.
Its a bit silly to get angry at slow drivers, but even if you dont want to admit it, surely you can see that driving behind someone going considerably slower than the limit is a right nuisance.

People who drive over the speed limit don't necessarily have better reaction times, but may think they do, or may feel more confident, it doesn't mean they are bad drivers, but they aren't doing everyone else a favour by being a hazard on the road.

People who drive the speed limit are being responsible by my point of view. They are just following the rules and being safe on the road. But that doesn't mean to say they indicate at the right times, or give way to other vehicles correctly, so people who drive the speed limit are following the speed rules but are not always responsible as they may not follow other rules.

Anyone can get into an accident. Accidents happen, children run out on the street, roads can become icy and wet, other drivers can be the idiots who cause 'good' drivers to crash.
Honestly, I think good drivers are ones who drive to get to where they need to go and not want to cause havoc to other drivers or be a danger to themselves.

I would consider myself to be a good driver, I also consider my mum to be a good driver She is 50 but has NEVER had any sort of fine on the road, no speeding tickets, parking fines, never been drunk or anything haha she's my idol :P

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

Are you going with the flow of traffic? The highway where I live, the speed limit is posted at 55 mph (or about 89 KM), but the flow of traffic is actually 80 mph (or 128 KM).

I hate sounding like an idiot irresponsible driver who doesn’t know any better but no I don't go with the flow of the traffic, I go fast evading cars putting everything at stake. But I can say that I am working on that problem I have and doing my best to be a responsible driver I’m doing a lot of things to achieve that goal.

Quote:
That's a little general though because if I were to drive the speed limit but at the same time text while driving...my reaction time is significantly increased and thus puts more lives at risk. But there's many things that regular drivers could do that could put people's lives at risk. I think that driving the speed limit is only good for cops, that doesn't necessarily mean that you're a good driver. A lot of the professional race car drivers have gotten speeding tickets, so maybe you do have good reflexes and such. I'm not gonna argue with that.
Yes you are right that was a little general on my part there, driving on the speed limit doesn’t make you any more of a better driver than a slow or fast driver I guess it really depends on the person and what they do to be as safe as possible in the road. You can be going really fast but not texting and you are still a danger to the road or slow and texting and you are as dangerous as the fast driver not texting. What I didn’t understand on your part is this “I think that driving the speed limit is only good for cops” mind explaining. [/b][/size][/color][/font]

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 07:36 AM

I drive at the speed limit. Driving too slow or too fast is dangerous for other cars/and or people.

An example of this is R Plates in N.Ireland. When you pass your test you have these on your car for a year... which permits you to drive no faster than 45mph but your allowed on a motorway! (70mph)

Since your meant to drive on the left, they stay on the left, which is extremely dangerous when you meet slip roads. STUPID RULE!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 08:20 AM

I don't drive much but when I do, it's around the speed limit or at the flow of traffic, whichever is faster. If traffic is going 90 in a 70 zone, I'm not going 70 as I'm putting myself and others in danger, so I'll go at 90. But, if there's some lunatic who then speeds away at 140, I'm not going to speed up to catch that person, going too fast is dangerous to yourself and others. Driving at the speed limit is good for everyone, not only cops. The speeds reflect the general conditions and surroundings: if you're in a residential area, the speed of 40-50 is in place because it's not too fast making you crash or run over someone and it's not too slow. Likewise, coming off a highway ramp may be 40 to 70 reflecting the curves of the road and driving at that speed is considered safe. If someone drives at 140 in a 50 zone while a cop drives 55, neither may be safe because the lunatic is flying away and the cop is pretty much a sitting duck waiting to be flattened compared to the lunatic's speed.

To me, a good driver is one who goes at the speed of the traffic or at the speed limit. I don't define a "good driver" as someone who doesn't get into an accident because they may be driving fine but someone else does something wrong. So I consider a good driver to be someone who wasn't the cause for the crash, tries to avoid the crash safely, may be able to think a few steps ahead of another driver, someone who isn't doing unnecessary things while driving (i.e. texting, doing make-up while driving) and knows where their wheels are on the road. All these are affected by the speed one is going at but even if you're going at the proper speed, you may not be able to do these.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 11:14 AM

I'm not sure what sort of driver I am...I haven't passed my test yet but I'm taking lessons and my instructor says I'm way too hesitant.

Quote:
Slow drivers drive, well...slow, but if you drive under the speed limit, does that mean that you're a responsible driver?
If you drive too slow for the speed limit and the conditions, you can still cause an accident because it slows down traffic, frustrates other drivers and therefore can lead to others taking risks to get out of the way. I'm being hypocritical here because I really don't like driving as fast as I should, but I'm aware of that and I'm trying to overcome it.

Quote:
If you can drive over the speed limit, does that mean that you can handle your car better and have a better reaction time than people who drive the speed limit?
I don't think so. Speed limits are there to keep people safe. Driving quickly doesn't mean you have better reaction time. The faster you're moving, the further you will go before you can stop, and unless you're Superman that's not going to increase your reaction times. Hence, accidents are more likely to occur and more likely to be serious.

Quote:
Not necessarily. There are a million other irresponsible things a driver can do. Suppose a driver wanted to overtake a slow lorry. They wouldn't have to go over the speed limit because the lorry isn't going at that speed anyway. But the driver could still overtake at the wrong place, like at the brow of a hill, and although they wouldn't be speeding they could still potentially cause a serious accident.

Quote:
Good drivers can get into accidents because everybody makes mistakes, even those who have been driving for years and years. Accidents can be the fault of just one driver or of two, or even a reckless pedestrian. If a good driver was obeying the speed limit and someone just walked out in front of them, collisions are still possible. It may not even be the driver's fault but it could still happen.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 08:30 PM

Hmm, well, I'm only a learner driver, but I'll answer anyway.

Mostly I drive at the speed limit. If I'm in a low-traffic area, I usually go slower because I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere and because there are usually heaps of cars parked on the side of the road. I think I slow down a little too much turning corners as well, but I'm just getting used to that. I don't go over the speed limit, except sometimes when I'm going down hills because I'm still getting used to that as well.

If the flow of traffic is going faster than the speed limit, I honestly don't care, I'm still going to go the speed limit. The fact that other people don't care about speed limits is their problem, I'm not just going to follow what everyone else is doing because I might annoy them.

I also don't really see how slower drivers are very dangerous? I mean, if someone is going significantly under the speed limit, I can see how that would be annoying to others. But I don't see how it makes anything more dangerous. Cars should be watching the other cars on the road and noticing that a car is going slower than average. And I've never heard of a car accident because someone was going too slowly?

Good drivers obey the law. They keep to the speed limit, slow down in construction areas and school zones, don't make illegal turns, don't speed through amber lights, follow road signs etc. etc. And being a good driver definitely doesn't mean you don't get into accidents. My parents are great drivers; they've never had a ticket, they are very careful on the road. However, my mum and dad have still been in several accidents, which have never been their faults. The last one, a guy didn't stop at the red light that all the other cars were stopped at and drove into the back of us. No matter how good a driver my dad is, there's no way he could have stopped that.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmeringFaerie View Post

I also don't really see how slower drivers are very dangerous? I mean, if someone is going significantly under the speed limit, I can see how that would be annoying to others. But I don't see how it makes anything more dangerous. Cars should be watching the other cars on the road and noticing that a car is going slower than average. And I've never heard of a car accident because someone was going too slowly?
Going significantly slower can be annoying and illegal but it's dangerous because it can be hard going at the flow of traffic (faster speed) and react to a situation involving a slow driver. For example, I've had plenty of times when I'm behind a slow driver and we're both making a left turn at an intersection with traffic lights. We both turn but since they're going so slow, they leave me out in the middle of traffic as cars are coming at me. I cant speed up because I'll hit the slow car and I still want to keep a safe distance.

Also, if I'm behind a slow driver and another car is coming up behind me fast, I cant speed up so I'm at a huge risk if I have to suddenly stop or slow down (rear-ended) or the slow driver stops or slows (I'm possibly hit at front and back). I've been in this situation too although I wasn't the driver and thankfully the car behind me was able to slam on the breaks early enough. With luck, there was nobody behind that person as it could've led to a pile-up.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
http://www.wral.com/news/news_briefs/story/7091277/
http://news.humcounty.com/Slow_Drive...Injures_2.html

They are just as dangerous as fast drivers.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 10:05 PM

But those were really, really slow drivers. Obviously going that slow on a highway is just plain stupid. But if someone was going around 50 km/h in a 60-zone (which is about 31 m/h and 37 m/h), I just don't think it's particularly dangerous.

Quote:
Going significantly slower can be annoying and illegal but it's dangerous because it can be hard going at the flow of traffic (faster speed) and react to a situation involving a slow driver. For example, I've had plenty of times when I'm behind a slow driver and we're both making a left turn at an intersection with traffic lights. We both turn but since they're going so slow, they leave me out in the middle of traffic as cars are coming at me. I cant speed up because I'll hit the slow car and I still want to keep a safe distance.
I don't think I understand this one. Where would the cars be coming at you from if you had a green light?

Quote:
Also, if I'm behind a slow driver and another car is coming up behind me fast, I cant speed up so I'm at a huge risk if I have to suddenly stop or slow down (rear-ended) or the slow driver stops or slows (I'm possibly hit at front and back). I've been in this situation too although I wasn't the driver and thankfully the car behind me was able to slam on the breaks early enough. With luck, there was nobody behind that person as it could've led to a pile-up.
But that's more of the fault of the person behind you who isn't paying attention to how fast the rest of the cars are going. If a car runs into the back of you, it's their fault for not leaving a safe distance.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:

I don't think I understand this one. Where would the cars be coming at you from if you had a green light?
If you were at the lights and your were turning left.... say the car in front of you was going quite slow but you'd already passed the line for stopping.... then when the lights turn green then the cars from the other direction from you would be coming towards you.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 13th 2010, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlora View Post
If you were at the lights and your were turning left.... say the car in front of you was going quite slow but you'd already passed the line for stopping.... then when the lights turn green then the cars from the other direction from you would be coming towards you.
Okay, yes, we drive on the other side of the road, so that would be turning right here. But realistically, the lights take longer to change than that. You shouldn't be going through an amber light if you have time to stop safely, which you would if you were going that slowly. And at least here, only one car can sit in the intersection at a time, so you shouldn't be in the intersection while the other car is anyway.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: Define "Good" Driver - November 14th 2010, 04:03 AM

I am a driver that generally follows the speed limit if not a little bit under. The reasoning behind this is that I don't want to get a speeding ticket, I live sort of outside a city and sometimes people don't stop for the lights or the stop signs (my EMS instructor said he saw a hell of a lot more deaths related to crashes in the country than in the city), I don't want to hit a deer, and if it is bad weather, my car will probably slip and slide across the streets.

I also try not to get angry at people. I also try not to put myself at risk for killing cyclists (who legally have to ride on the road like a car, not the shoulder or sidewalk).

However, am I a good driver? No.I am average. I still do things that can be risky such as having to merge quickly when entering the interstate. I talk on my phone. I sometimes make a right turn immediately after the "no right turn" sign turns off and before the light on the other side turns green. I sometimes will assume the other person will stop when it is a four-way stop and I clearly was there a minute before he or she pulled in.

A good driver is someone who tries not to cause accidents and is mindful of their surroundings. Speeding plays a part, but it's not defining. There's a point where it is a hazard if someone is going under the speed limit like going 20 on I-75. Great way to kill someone.

Quote:
I don't know if this debate has already been done, but there's many types of drivers out there. There's three basic categories, I think, for drivers:

1. People who usually drive under the speed limit
2. People who usually drive the speed limit (including the speed of travel or 5-10 miles over the speed limit)
3. And you have people who usually drive over the speed limit.

That is very basic, mind you.

Arguably, there's pro's and con's to each category:

Before you state your opinion, tell me what kind of driver you are (you can be specific, or you can just totally ignore my categories and make your own), and then give your opinion.

And lastly, based on what you believe to be a "good" driver, would you consider you one?

Let me know.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
Closed Thread