TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 01:16 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

As we all know, music is played in public places such as where you shop, often regardless of whatever your tastes may be. I think it is negligent to do this because there have been instances when I have been triggered into slight depression by certain songs. I'm pretty sure other people have been triggered with possibly worse results.

Why does music HAVE to play anyway? Is it really necessary? Also, listening to your own music in your earbuds/headphones might not be allowed if it's at a place you work, so that's not always a solution.

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 519688 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 01:32 PM

Personally, I love it when they are playing music in stores

I've always heard positive songs where I live.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
IH8U2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 01:35 PM

It doesn't necessarily have to be a sad song. It could just be the vibe of the song.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 01:37 PM

I haven't ever heard triggering music in a store. I would be sad if they stopped playing music in stores.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 02:47 PM

If every store took every group into account whenever they did something, there wouldn't be a store. Not every store can accomodate to every one of your needs, sorry. It's not like they choose the music anyway, they normally just tune into a radio station.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 02:52 PM

People can be triggered by anything. Music, TV, film, adverts and billboards and even just seeing a knife if the kitchen section of a store. It is pretty impossible to remove everything that triggers people.

Being triggered isn't nice obviously but you have to expect it when out in public. Avoiding triggers is not the way to go people need to learn how to cope and deal with them.

Last edited by Melody Pond; November 13th 2010 at 03:43 PM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 03:07 PM

That's life- you just have to learn to deal with it. Music adds to the atmosphere in a store and I think it would stupid and ridiculous to not play it because people might be triggered. It would be like removing knives and food from stores...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 03:33 PM

If you personally are finding it triggering then just put your iPod or mp3 on. You can't have all shops stop playing music on the off-chance that you find it triggering

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#9 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 05:13 PM

Oh I think it would be so weird to be in a store with no music playing. I love singing along to the songs when grocery shopping. I personally don't understand this whole "triggering" thing myself. Maybe because that's because I have nothing to "trigger" I don't know. And please don't misunderstand I'm not trying to downplay the OP or anyone else's situation, just saying that I myself don't understand it. And I've never known anyone else to be in that situation either. So what I'm saying is stores and such are going to do what's wanted/best for the majority of their customers, because that's what keeps the money coming in.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#10 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 05:46 PM

I agree with everyone else. It's unrealistic to ask a store to stop playing music just because a few people might get triggered if the wrong song comes on. People can get triggered by all sorts of things. It sucks and I feel really bad for you, but it's something you just need to learn to handle.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 07:04 PM

Firstly, I must just say that did you know shops actually have to get permission to play music in their shops! (In NZ anyway), some shops were getting fined for playing music, I guess due to copyright, like you aren't allowed to show DVDs to the public, so you aren't allowed to play music either! Odd ay!

Anyway back to the topic, sorry but I actually agree with everyone else. If shops took into account all music that was considered triggering, that would be a hell of a lot of songs off the list. Not to sound rude but the majority of people in that shop probably aren't triggered and the shops choice of music can't revolve around you. If you don't like the music, either leave the shop or just deal with it for a little bit.
If the songs are explicit, then I don't think they should be played...but triggering? I dont really think thats an excuse.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 08:12 PM

It's not realistic to have a store not play a certain song because one customer finds it triggering. Anything can be triggering to anyone, so by playing positive songs, they hope to reduce the amount of those triggered but cant please everyone. Supposing they did examine all the songs that exist and see which ones aren't triggering, there'd be few, if any, remaining. It's one thing to complain about something understandable and another to complain about something that makes no sense but this isn't either, this is just ridiculous. It's also putting yourself above that of others since other customers and employees may enjoy the song but since you don't, should it get taken down? Absolutely not. If you (OP) are this sensitive to a positive song in stores, which often are just from radio stations so the stores aren't selecting the songs anyway, try to face the triggering things as opposed to running away and complaining about people presenting them to you as that only worsens your condition.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 09:54 PM

If a song was particularly triggering then radio stations wouldn't be allowed to play it anyway, therefore I doubt it would be heard in a shop. However, even songs that aren't deliberately triggering can still affect people depending on their experience and feelings. It would be near impossible to remove all potentially triggering references. I agree with Rachel that triggers need to be dealt with rather than avoided.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TigerTank77 Offline
Rage is the best anesthetic
I've been here a while

Name: Ben

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 13th 2010, 11:17 PM

I either get annoyed, or I get into a groove.

I worked at Lowes (big home improvement store) and every day around closing time when I'd be dust mopping, the radio station always seemed to play Hollywood Swinging. So , I'd do the grooviest dust mopping ever. Bunch of the staff used to watch and laugh. :3

Often I lie wide awake, thinking of things I could make.
But I donít seem to have the parts to build them.
I am so scared of what will kill me in the end, for I am not prepared.
I hope I will get the chance to be someone, to be human.

Send a message via AIM to TigerTank77 Send a message via MSN to TigerTank77 Send a message via Skype™ to TigerTank77 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 14th 2010, 09:26 AM

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" - Unknown

That sums up my idea.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

6 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 15th 2010, 07:54 AM

When I worked at Burger King, the music was auto when it wasn't raining(we had a faulty store). We couldn't chose or change the music, it was something the store subscript to and it played popular music, most of which the general public liked. At my current job, we have a juke box, so the music can be changed if someone is offended, and I've changed it myself, but not for triggering lyrics. (You can hook iPods to the juke box and some of those songs aren't appropriate, even for a college pizza place.) There are songs about abuse on that juke box, because it plays country music, and although sometimes the music can be triggering, you can learn to tune it out quite easily.

Music can't be removed because it bothers one person. Besides, music makes work go by so much faster.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 15th 2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey. View Post
Besides, music makes work go by so much faster.
I agree, when I worked at a restaurant by my house I would hum Deutschland Uber Alles (National Anthem) to myself, and one time this elderly German man looked over and said, in a thick accent "Ahh you are a German I see?" and I replied that I was, and I had a wonderful conversation with him and his wife.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 15th 2010, 02:45 PM

I pretty much agree... Taken a large enough population, (i.e. the entire human race) You will not be able to find even one statement that that you could say that everyone would not be offended or triggered over.

The Earth is Round- Flat Earth Society
There is a God- Atheist
There is not a God- Theist
Twilight is awesome- Feminist and book critics
Harry Potter is awesome- Conservative Christians
Star Trek is awesome- People is no taste ( J/K)

The point is that you cannot expect to accomidate EVERYONE. It is MUCH easier for the individual to accomidate themselves into soceity then soceity trying to accomidate everyone.

Oh, and Guile, Surak, the Vulcan philosopher from Star Trek said "The needs of the Many outweigh the needs of the Few or the One" Mr. Spock quoted it to Admiral Kirk in Star Trek II: The Warth of Khan when they were debating on whether or not KIrk should resume command of the Enterprise in this emergancy status.

Trekkies FTW!

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
TakeTheLeap Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 15th 2010, 06:03 PM

I'm going to agree with everyone else. Music is played in stores to make shopping a more enjoyable experience. You can't go around asking every place that has something triggering to change what they're doing just to make a few people happy. It's pretty easy to tune out the music when you're shopping, especially if you're with a group of people. Just by having a conversation, it can distract you from hearing the music.
I work at Target, and we don't have music playing in the store. When I work, I find myself getting a song stuck in my head or singing as I go along. After the store closes, I'll turn my own music on just to have background noise. A while back, we actually had to stop playing music in the store after hours because someone managed to break in through the front doors (rammed their car into the doors) and no one heard it because the music was so loud.

I think music in the store is SO much more fun. The grocery store I go to plays oldies (50's and 60's) which is the music I grew up on. I often sing and dance in the store and get weird looks, especially by older people who don't expect someone my age to know "their" music. It's pretty hilarious.

ďDon't get too comfortable with who you are at any given time. You may miss the opportunity to become who you want to be." ~Jon Bon Jovi

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
FŁhrer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 15th 2010, 06:14 PM

Eh? Sorry if this sounds rude, but man up. There isn't any way we can remove EVERYTHING that people deem as triggering from the eyes of the public =/

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 16th 2010, 02:47 PM

I hate to say it, but people just need to learn to deal with triggers. They're going to sneak up on you no matter what, so if you learn to ignore it, then that's the best bet.

There are some songs that I get upset about because they remind me of times I had with people who died. That's not the fault of a store if one of those songs comes on. I just turn the negative about the song and turn it into postive.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#22 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 16th 2010, 03:43 PM

nothing wrong with playing music. i've never heard overly offensive or triggering music in any shop anyway.. people get triggered by anything, can't just get rid of all possible triggers, not possible.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#23 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 17th 2010, 01:37 AM

Yea I think people should learn to deal with their triggers rather than avoid. I do have to say I think shops shouldn't play certain music, like about suicide and cutting, for example um one song that I would hate to here in a shop is Im Sorry by Jamestown Story...its just a really really horrible song, who wants to here that?
I dont even reckon they should play songs like Courage by Superchick or Just a little bit by Maria Mena, they are about Eating Disorders and really when we walk around town people just dont want to here songs about that, about starving yourself, Come on, people dont need to here that in shops. I mean to me those songs aren't triggering, but they are songs that I dont think people need to hear.
So I dont think they should play songs that are directly about depression, suicide, EDs etc, i dont know, do you guys agree?

(#24 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 17th 2010, 02:02 AM

nope i dont agree...

if people have a problem with a certain song or type of music learn to tune it out like i do with gospel music.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 17th 2010, 03:06 AM

Lol well here they dont play those horrible songs on the radio, I guess they aren't very common here, and never are they played in shops

(#26 (permalink)) Old
MegaMadness Offline
Fight My Llama
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Megan

Re: Triggering music played in public places - November 18th 2010, 10:20 AM

If we got rid of everything that was triggering to anyone, there would be nothing left in this world. Its a nice idea to have no one triggered, but it's unrealistic and is never gonna happen. If you don't like the song or it's triggering you, just leave or put headphones in and play your own music. That's easier then making shops change their music to suit you. Sorry but everything is always gonna be about you, or the minority of the people. I say minority because most people enjoy music in stores. I think music in stores is great and adds atmosphere.

Come on boys, come on girls
In this crazy, crazy world
Youíre the diamonds, youíre the pearls
Letís make a new tomorrow
Come on girls, come on boys
Itís your future, itís your choice
And your weapon is your voice
Letís make a new tomorrow
Today
follow me please. I'll follow back. http://photographicjournal.tumblr.com/

Closed Thread