TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:11 PM

"Santa Claus is one of the few remaining parts of childhood that our so-called "enlightened" society has not yet managed to completely eliminate. There are, of course, those who believe that telling this lie to children will cause children to lose faith in parents and stop listening to what parents have to say."

Anyway, do you think we should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus?

I personally think its a great thing to do. Teaches them the power of giving vs. receiving.

Thoughts?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:13 PM

Yes and no. My dad never strictly told me Santa wasn't real but he always said "think for yourself" and "don't believe everything you hear" I actually think that taught me a lot :/ I never believed in Santa and I still understood what Christmas was about.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:16 PM

The part about Father Christmas I don't like is using it to scare and bribe children into behaving.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:21 PM

I just remember how extremely happy and excited Santa made me when I was a child so I'm all for it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:37 PM

Yes because I remember how excited I was when I woke up in the morning to see all the gifts Santa left and butting the cookies and milk the night before
I'm going to do what my parents did with my brothers and me, they told us Santa didn't have enough time to go to all the houses in the world and we had to pick a gift and give it to a needy kid, it teaches your children to be generous and share what you have at least for me it did that.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 09:42 PM

Some parents still teach their kids about God, so why not Father Christmas? Just the same really =p

(#7 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 10:41 PM

Oh I'm all for Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. I've known my parents are behind Santa Christmas presents since I was 5, but it doesn't matter. I'm 21 and I still get presents from Santa. I personally believe that it's possible Santa could exist, and that even if it's just one random piece of candy he leaves something for you.

Also getting money for losing your teeth makes the pain worth it. And Easter egg hunts are way too fun!

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 10:50 PM

http://xkcd.com/803/

As long as they're not 30 years old, living on their own, and get disappointed when they wake up on Christmas morning and there's no presents under their tree, I think it's fine.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 11:26 PM

I see nothing wrong with having children believe in Santa. It encourages imagination and teaches them about giving to others. I still remember the excitement I felt when I was little and thought Santa was coming the night of Christmas Eve. I'm not quite sure I understand the point of view of those who are saying that it will make children "lose faith in their parents" and "stop listening to what they had to say." When I first found out that Santa was an illusion, yes, I was upset, but I moved on and came to realize what Christmas is really about. I never stopped listening to them. They were still my parents, even if they had "lied" to me about Santa. The same with my sister. My sister didn't even get upset when she figured out Santa wasn't real. Apparently, she'd figured it out way before I did.

You might say she was sharper than I was as a child, but I prefer to think she had less of an imagination. I love my sister.

Honestly, though, I feel like people are making it out to be a much bigger issue than it actually is.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 11:26 PM

Yes and no, yes because it gives them something to look forward to each year

No because you're pretty much lying to your child.

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#11 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 11:33 PM

Of course we should encourage children to believe in Santa!!! I remember being so excited that santa would be coming down the chimney, and I always used to love the whole magic idea to christmas...to be honest now christmas isn't as exciting because its just like getting parents from family and stuff....which is the same as birthdays and all.

Children do grow out of believing, I certainly did, no one ever told me Santa wasn't real, but I just realised one year, and I didn't die...but ever since, I reckon christmas isn't the same. Let children have their fun and excitement!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 14th 2010, 11:55 PM

Team Santa!

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 09:14 AM

Yes, yes, yes, a million times YES!

I honestly don't think that much harm would come out of letting kids believe in Santa, plus it makes Christmas so much more fun

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 09:31 AM

What do you mean he's not real?! :<

Haha I am just kidding, nah of course we should encourage kids to believe, it actually makes something seem magical in this world, which it is unfortunately not. Sadly the world is a pretty lousy place, so why force kids to accept that any earlier then they have to?

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Ancora Imparo Offline
XVI VIII MMXIV. ♥
I've been here a while

Name: Jake

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 11:51 AM

I'm also all for encouraging our children to believe in Santa because when I look back on my childhood I remember how excited I use to get on Christmas Eve to the point of not being able to sleep and how much fun it use to be setting up the glass of milk, the mince pie and the carrot before I use to go to bed that night. Now I know he's not real I don't get as excited as I use to but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm getting older or if that's because I now know the truth but yeah I'm all for it.

When we're lost in the madness, kindness is wisdom.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Ancora Imparo 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 11:58 AM

I don't see why not.

It really isn't that big of a lie, it makes Christmas more exciting for children and at the end of the day, he is associated with Christmas so he is a lot of decorations etc. so they're bound to ask who it is, why not make it fun for them?

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 12:53 PM

I encourage parents to use effective strategies that teach kids the difference between good and bad. Therefore, I like the message behind it. It's better than teaching kids that Christmas is a religious holiday.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 06:41 PM

My 3 year old knows about Santa..... How I'm not sure. He just started saying "Momma Santa's coming!" So I've been explaining that Santa can't come until after his birthday.
I think his grandma might have told him about Santa.. not sure. Anyways.. He's all into the holiday thing now.. (We just put up our Christmas lights last night and he giggled his little head off)
I don't believe in telling him he has to be good or Santa wont leave him anything. He needs to be good regardless of what time of year it is.
We do Toys for Tots and stuff like that through out the year so as he gets older he'll be able to help pick out toys for needy children.

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 06:57 PM

I used to believe in it, and I still get excited about having a christmas stocking!

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#20 (permalink)) Old
John 6:29 Offline
Romans 2:6-8
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 08:00 PM

No. It's lying. I certainly didn't learn that giving was better than receiving through Santa Clause. There's better ways to teach morality than through lying (in fact, it is kind of hypocritical). Doing good should be something you want to do, not something your forced to do in order to receive a benefit. Actually, "doing good" to receive a gift is selfish, not selfless.

"Daniel broke the kings decree, Peter stepped from the ship to the sea, there was hope for Job like a cut down tree... I hope that there's such hope for me... Blind as I've become, I used to wonder where you were. These days I can't find where You're not. Mine's been a yard carefully surface tended, foxes burrowed underground. Gardening so highly self-recommended, what could I have done but let You down? The sun and the moon, I want to see both worlds as one." -Aaron Weiss, mewithoutYou
  Send a message via AIM to John 6:29 Send a message via MSN to John 6:29  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
Some parents still teach their kids about God, so why not Father Christmas? Just the same really =p
I was waiting for someone to make that kind of comment, and true to form I wasn't disappointed. Some things never change.

If you're going to get rid of the idea of the stories surrounding Father Christmas, you might as well junk all the kids' stories, fairy tales and anything remotely invoking fantasy from their lives entirely and replace their imaginations with microchips. While I would be quite concerned if someone tried to actively convince their children he was a real figure and responsible for their presents or otherwise, if it helps communicate the real message behind Christmas (generosity of spirit, giving and general human kindness) then I don't see a problem. Most kids will figure it out for themselves anyway, particularly if they don't have a chimney...

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#22 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 08:57 PM

For me, believing in Santa as a child was really magical and exciting. It wasn't exactly traumatic when I stopped believing and it hasn't affected my relationship with my parents at all.

I don't know whether or not I'd encourage my own kids. I mean, I want them to have a magical childhood. But I'd feel like a liar.

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 10:10 PM

actually, the more I'm thinking of this the more I don't agree with it :/ also, I remember in school this girl in my class still believed in Santa when she was about 10 and got kind of bullied :/

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#24 (permalink)) Old
Melody Pond Offline
is a superhero
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
actually, the more I'm thinking of this the more I don't agree with it :/ also, I remember in school this girl in my class still believed in Santa when she was about 10 and got kind of bullied :/
My boyfriend's Mum let him believe until he was 12 and starting year 7. His younger sister is nearly 11 and she still beleive. His Mum has said she will tell her before she starts high school so she doesn't get bullied :/

(#25 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
I've been here a while

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leikela View Post

My boyfriend's Mum let him believe until he was 12 and starting year 7. His younger sister is nearly 11 and she still beleive. His Mum has said she will tell her before she starts high school so she doesn't get bullied :/
Well that's a bit much.. But I don't see anything wrong with letting little kids believe in something so "magical" as long as you don't make it about "Oh you better be nice or you wont get anything"

I don't remember any kids getting picked on in school for believing in Santa.. However growing up I mostly got to have both Christmas and Hanukkah so most of the people that were friends with me or one of my siblings got to experience the "Hanukkah" fairy.. which was a bit much lol.

My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 11:01 PM

Personally, I never believed in Santa. My parents never ever did the whole Santa thing so that wasn't even a topic in my house.

As for whether or not I will tell my kids about Santa, I will probably just let them figure it out themselves. If they don't figure it out, then I will tell them that Santa is not real
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 11:36 PM

I don't think I will encourage it. I mean, it's fun and all at fuirst, but thne you have to go though the whole thing of hiding the presents and explaing why Santa's evles can get the $1000 gaming systems they really really really wanted and was a good boy all year to get one!

Also I think the whole "morality" issue is bogus. First of all, it's hypocritical. Second, it encourages only a Level 1 Stage 2 Morality (If I do good things for mommy and daddy, Santa will get me a pony!) This equates to zero internalization, which means that they won't actually be good because they want or feel the need to be....they just want the Playstation 5 and the Barbie Mansion at the end of the year. And they will become SORELY disappointed if they should not get it. Yes, there is the aspect of "magic" and "Charm" Santa Clause brings into the picture, but I personally think that children need little help to make their world magical.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
  (#28 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
I've been here a while

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 15th 2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeto-X View Post
I don't think I will encourage it. I mean, it's fun and all at fuirst, but thne you have to go though the whole thing of hiding the presents and explaing why Santa's evles can get the $1000 gaming systems they really really really wanted and was a good boy all year to get one!

Also I think the whole "morality" issue is bogus. First of all, it's hypocritical. Second, it encourages only a Level 1 Stage 2 Morality (If I do good things for mommy and daddy, Santa will get me a pony!) This equates to zero internalization, which means that they won't actually be good because they want or feel the need to be....they just want the Playstation 5 and the Barbie Mansion at the end of the year. And they will become SORELY disappointed if they should not get it. Yes, there is the aspect of "magic" and "Charm" Santa Clause brings into the picture, but I personally think that children need little help to make their world magical.
You'd hide the present anyways even if you didn't do the whole santa thing.... unless you want your kids knowing what they got before Christmas even came.. where would the fun be in them opening their gifts?

We hide both Santa's gift, (Yes Santa in our house brings one gift) and the gifts from us+out of state relatives. I even keep them hidden if they are wrapped. They don't get put out until the little one is in bed. So he has no idea what he is getting, or how much he is getting etc.

Hiding gifts isn't that hard. so I'm not understanding why you made it sound like a horrible thing to do lol.

As for why Santa couldn't get the $1000 gaming system..... well....... if they're stretching THAT high then there would be a problem lol.
Santa's gifts in our house have always been around $50. I don't ever see us changing his gift price as $50 is a big chunk of change for a kids item.

My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing

(#29 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 12:46 AM

On the value of Santa's presents:

http://hoffstrizz.typepad.com/.a/6a0...a241970c-800wi
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#30 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduriel View Post
Classic. You just can't beat Calvin and Hobbes sometimes.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 06:35 PM

My parents have only really used Santa as a way to get me and my brother to actually sleep on christmas eve nigth. They used to tell us that he'd only come once we were asleep.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 06:50 PM

To everyone who says that kids should have Santa as some magic to believe in because the real world is terrible: perhaps its you who needs a Santa? The children I work with are some of the happiest people I know, regardless of what fairy tales they've been told. There's magic to be found in the real world; why not try to find that before you resort to stories?

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#33 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 09:21 PM

I believe in using Christmas as a time to celebrate Jesus- So I think that it's okay to have your children believing in Santa as long as it relates back to Jesus.

For example, if I chose to teach my kids to believe in Santa, I would do it like this: "Santa is a saint (follower of God) who loves God very much. So to celebrate the amazing gift that God gave to us (Jesus), santa goes around and gives gifts to all of the kids as a symbol of God's love".

I don't know if I will raise my kids to believe in Santa or not though. I probably won't, because if you lie to your kids about Santa, how do they know that you're telling them the truth about God and everything else that you actually are telling the truth about?

I completely understand wanting your kids to experience that "magical Christmas feeling" that you got when you believed in Santa. I believed in him until I was 9, and that WAS a really cool experience. But honestly, this is my first Christmas season as a Christian, and even though I'm 16 I can honestly say that I have that same excited feeling about celebrating Jesus' birth. So, I think I can raise my kids to be just as happy and joyful with or without Santa.

I don't think that either way is right or wrong, it's a personal choice and you have to do what is right for your family.

Last edited by Megan1; November 16th 2010 at 09:32 PM.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 09:33 PM

As long as when the child get's a bit older they understand more of the meaning behind Christmas than Santa bringing present's. I'm all for it. It made me really happy. My mum use to sprinkle carrot bits outside which we left for the reindeer's and eat the cookies and milk we left santa xD

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#35 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1 View Post
I believe in using Christmas as a time to celebrate Jesus- So I think that it's okay to have your children believing in Santa as long as it relates back to Jesus.

For example, if I chose to teach my kids to believe in Santa, I would do it like this: "Santa is a saint (follower of God) who loves God very much. So to celebrate the amazing gift that God gave to us (Jesus), santa goes around and gives gifts to all of the kids as a symbol of God's love".

I don't know if I will raise my kids to believe in Santa or not though. I probably won't, because if you lie to your kids about Santa, how do they know that you're telling them the truth about God and everything else that you actually are telling the truth about?
Can you explain to me how Christmas is about Jesus. I mean first of all most evidence points to Jesus not even being born in December. Second of all Christmas is derived from Winter Solstice, a pagan holiday. Chritmas, I guess, can be used as a religious holiday, but when you think about it it really isn't one.

And Santa isn't a lie, not really. It's like the parents who let their kids believe that the characters at Disney are real. And what's wrong with that? I never had that belief, of Disney characters, because I had been backstage there at a young age, but I am jealous of those who got to believe. Some parents tell their kids stories, stories that make them happy, and cause no harm to them.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#36 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
To everyone who says that kids should have Santa as some magic to believe in because the real world is terrible: perhaps its you who needs a Santa? The children I work with are some of the happiest people I know, regardless of what fairy tales they've been told. There's magic to be found in the real world; why not try to find that before you resort to stories?
Because it brings them a lot of happiness. I see no issue with that.

(#37 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
I've been here a while

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 16th 2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
What's wrong with letting a child experience more magic during the holidays? Doesn't mean the world is terrible just means that some of us don't want our kids to grow up with out experiencing one of the funnest times of year that we got to experience as a kid

My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing

(#38 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 17th 2010, 12:18 AM

i wont mention to my kid if the wife does fine or if he/she learns about it at school im fine with but the day they ask me if hes real or not im telling them the truth. i was always lied to as a kid by my parents..i will never lie to mine

(#39 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 17th 2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie'Lou View Post
As long as when the child get's a bit older they understand more of the meaning behind Christmas than Santa bringing present's. I'm all for it. It made me really happy. My mum use to sprinkle carrot bits outside which we left for the reindeer's and eat the cookies and milk we left santa xD
Omg, that is adorable. Haha.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Re: should encourage our children to believe in Santa Claus? - November 17th 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
Can you explain to me how Christmas is about Jesus. I mean first of all most evidence points to Jesus not even being born in December. Second of all Christmas is derived from Winter Solstice, a pagan holiday. Chritmas, I guess, can be used as a religious holiday, but when you think about it it really isn't one.

And Santa isn't a lie, not really. It's like the parents who let their kids believe that the characters at Disney are real. And what's wrong with that? I never had that belief, of Disney characters, because I had been backstage there at a young age, but I am jealous of those who got to believe. Some parents tell their kids stories, stories that make them happy, and cause no harm to them.
I agree with Taylor here. Jesus was most likely born sometime during spring based on the traditional time period when Rome would do taxes and censuses. Also because of the shepherds being out in fields with their lambs.

The early church decided to celebrate the birth of Jesus during the winter solstice to override a pagan holiday of the same date, and to give a high point to look forward to in the depressing winter (alot of good that does). The actual holiday date was from the pagan holiday of the winter solstice, but the rest of the traditions have been piecemealed together from varies cultures over the years, some of them completely secular. (I believe the idea of the Christmas tree was something to do with an old German superstition that bringin an evergreen into the house during the winter solstice was good luck to the house the next year...don't quote me on that)

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Kyeto-X 
Closed Thread