TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pinkhole Offline
Not a n00b

Completely against it - February 22nd 2009, 09:39 PM

Am I dumb/wrong to be completely against pot? I know it's not the worst drug out there.. and to some people its no big deal. But am I overreacting when I think it's just as bad as other drugs?

I have my reasons for thinking this way.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
lifeislost Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Steph

Re: Completely against it - February 22nd 2009, 09:49 PM

People have different opinions when it comes to weed. Just because it's not the worse drug out there doesn't mean it should be taken lightly.
If you don't mind me asking, what's your reasons?

I turn my head to the east… I don’t see nobody by my side
I turn my head to the west… still nobody in sight
So I turn my head to the north, swallow that pill that they call pride
The old me is dead and gone, but the new me will be alright

(#3 (permalink)) Old
tranquilize Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lindsay

Re: Completely against it - February 22nd 2009, 09:51 PM

No, your not wrong to be against pot; everyone is entitled to their own opinions. True, it's not as bad as other drugs, but that doesn't mean your overreacting, you have your reasons: just as much as people do for using it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AZARIAFAVERx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Azaria

Re: Completely against it - February 22nd 2009, 10:05 PM

Like said above, no your not wrong for being completely against it.
Everybody has their own opinions. Personally, I do smoke it probably about once/twice a week, but thats because I'm not a drinker and the majority of people I know drink! I just do it for a bit fun if I'm at a party or just chilling!
But whatever your reasons are, stick by them! If your against it then your against it, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and although I smoke it, I respect your opinion, as should other people!
  Send a message via MSN to AZARIAFAVERx  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
pinkhole Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Completely against it - February 22nd 2009, 10:20 PM

I have a couple close family members that have used it. I discovered it accidentally when I was 10. After 10 years of hearing its really bad, can kill you, and put you in jail, I took it really hard. I didn't know it wasn't that bad until several years later. No one knows that I know. I have never told anyone. I think back to when I was 10-14 and what I went through because of it, and I can't stand the thought of ever being ok with it.

Thank you for respecting my opinion! That really means a lot. Although, I don't agree with using it, I won't treat people that do differently. It's their choice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 23rd 2009, 05:57 PM

You're not wrong, first of all it's an opinion. Opinions can't be wrong. But I will say that marijuana is not even in the same category as harder drugs and has no right to be. Unless you've had first hand experience with it or with a good chunk of people as an observer or whatnot, i don't really see how you could form a logical view on it. It doesn't seem like you know much about weed at all. Do you trust those AbovetheInfluence commercials? Because those are complete bullshit for the most part.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Anna Skye Offline
live and let love...
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Completely against it - February 23rd 2009, 06:37 PM

You're absolutely not wrong. I'm completely against any kind of substance abuse (drugs, alcohol...) and smoking. I mean, I have friends who do that stuff and I don't judge them for it, but if they do it in my presence or it affects their relationship with me, they have a preachin' a comin', and they know that. There's nothing wrong with having morals and opinions, okay?

peace and love

If you read this signature,
know that someone cares about you.
You are not alone.

<3 Contact me

last cut: 4 august 2010
last purge: 13 march 2010

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Completely against it - February 23rd 2009, 07:21 PM

It's not wrong at all, like many have said. I'm absolutely with you on that one. No matter if it doesn't have that bad of health effects, it changes people. It opens your eyes to a weakness of character. Either they use it to run from problems, or to boost make their own fake amusements because they are to bland to have fun with their own personality. It can take over people's lives. I've had a lot of close friends who have succumbed and I hate to see it happen. They may say they haven't changed, they're still the same... but they're not. They lose respect in my eyes. And then everything they say or do, how does one know it's really them? Or is it the weed saying this to you? It dominates peoples thoughts and worsens their character. Then they no longer can have fun without it, same with alcohol, in my opinion (heavy not social drinkers)... And the apathy towards everything but their precious little plant it causes just sickens me. I don't like what it turns people into. I'm against it as well and it's not wrong at all to feel this way.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 24th 2009, 06:03 AM

That's completely fine if you're against it, but make sure you know the true facts on marijuana and don't get it mixed up with the governmentally funded crap they try to scare you with in health class and mass media.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Rosemma Offline
PullMe IntoYour PerfectCircle.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Rosemma

Re: Completely against it - February 25th 2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkhole View Post
I have a couple close family members that have used it. I discovered it accidentally when I was 10. After 10 years of hearing its really bad, can kill you, and put you in jail, I took it really hard. I didn't know it wasn't that bad until several years later. No one knows that I know. I have never told anyone. I think back to when I was 10-14 and what I went through because of it, and I can't stand the thought of ever being ok with it.

Thank you for respecting my opinion! That really means a lot. Although, I don't agree with using it, I won't treat people that do differently. It's their choice.
From what you said I can understand your opinion against it and its still good you have balance and wouldnt judge other people.
That is one thing that does bug me, when people dont resect someones decision.
That can be either way... a non-smoker telling a smoker its bad or smoker telling non-smoker its good.
Its not important and everyone has their opinions.
It annoys me when people make a huge deal out of it (both types of people can be guilty in doing that)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Completely against it - February 25th 2009, 08:32 AM

I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkhole View Post
Even though you're right, it is their choice, it still affects other people (the experiences you mentioned prove that).

Personally, I see little reason to respect someone for choosing to spend the day getting high while neglecting their responsibilities.
A drug is a drug, even though some are worse than others, it's all bad stuff.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Either they use it to run from problems, or to boost make their own fake amusements because they are to bland to have fun with their own personality.
wtf? No? I'm sorry but that's an incredibly silly thing to say. That is not why people smoke weed. Some people do it for that purpose, but to put everyone who smokes in that same category is just downright wrong.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
mr_null Offline
Formerly known as mr_null
Average Joe

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 01:43 AM

It's fine that you're completely against it. You don't treat people who use it differently, so everyone else should respect your opinion/choice as long as you respect theirs.

As for weed being used only by those who are weak, that's just bullshit. Sure, I know some people with weak characters and morals who smoke pot, but I know far more that are hard working, honest, caring, respectable people.

Those that lose respect in my eyes are those who judge before they understand.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 09:48 AM

You're not wrong for being completely against it. A lot of people are very anti-drugs in every respect, and with good reason if you ask me.

It is a drug, and it is illegal in most countries. Some people would argue that it shouldn't be, but the fact still stands.

Don't compromise your morals just because you think other people don't see pot as a big deal.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MetaIce Offline
Average Joe

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 01:28 PM

Alright, I'm moving this to debates, because it's becoming one.

If anyone else thinks it'd be better suited back here, feel free.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
R.K. Offline
Sweet Lord of the Rings!
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 01:38 PM

I'm not against weed. I don't see much of a strong argument against it as long as alcohol & tobacco (I guess you could also add many dif. types of food which have been medically shown to contribute hugely to medical ills) are legal.

Send a message via Skype™ to R.K. 
  (#17 (permalink)) Old
allikuja Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider*man(girl) View Post
Personally, I see little reason to respect someone for choosing to spend the day getting high while neglecting their responsibilities.
Yeah, cuz there's no such thing as a productive, responsible stoner, is there? Oh what a small world-view you have.

And all drugs are bad? Like the decongestant you're taking for your runny nose? Or the anti-biotics the doctors give you when you're sick? What about the marijuana given to cancer patients to overcome nausea and allow them to eat and feel good despite the massive amounts of chemo they're going through?

Don't generalize, don't assume, and don't judge.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Omar the Lobster!
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Bernadette

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 05:12 PM

Well if they legalise it in the US (long overdue, if I say so myself), you don't have to smoke it. But you'll be surprised how many people you know will rush to attain some of that legal bud and spend the first few days/weeks/months celebrating. Until then, let's go to Vancouver.

Hey guys, like jewelry that can withstand the blow of a sword? Jewelry that can put up a fight? Check out ChainCreations!

When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.

Send a message via AIM to Oiseau the Little Bird!  
  (#19 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout View Post
It opens your eyes to a weakness of character. Either they use it to run from problems, or to boost make their own fake amusements because they are to bland to have fun with their own personality. It can take over people's lives. I've had a lot of close friends who have succumbed and I hate to see it happen. They may say they haven't changed, they're still the same... but they're not. They lose respect in my eyes. And then everything they say or do, how does one know it's really them? Or is it the weed saying this to you? It dominates peoples thoughts and worsens their character. Then they no longer can have fun without it, same with alcohol, in my opinion (heavy not social drinkers)... And the apathy towards everything but their precious little plant it causes just sickens me. I don't like what it turns people into. I'm against it as well and it's not wrong at all to feel this way.
Did you ever stop and think that just like there are social drinkers who drink occasionally because they enjoy it and make sure to moderate and keep priorities straight, that there are people who do the same with weed?

Perhaps they just enjoy the taste and enjoy a drag every few months?

Get off your pedestal, it's embarrassing.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 07:04 PM

No you're not over-reacting. I'm completely against illegal drugs unless it's prescribed for a medical reason. That being said I don't care if other people do it just as long as I'm not in a relationship with them or they're not a close friend.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Fucking Done Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 07:10 PM

Doesn't make you dumb, but ... I mean there is so many other drugs out there that are worse and can actually kill you. But hey sooooooo many people smoke it they should really just legalize it.

Oh and it's not legal in Vancouver? aha

(#22 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 08:09 PM

I'm not a big fan of any kind of drug usage. I'm not even a fan of tobacco or alcohol, to be honest. I mean, we don't need it to live. Most drugs won't do us any benefit. I'm all for people being given prescriptions legally because they need them, but I don't like recreational drugs.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#23 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 10:40 PM

Since you made a topic about yourself, I am going to comment about what I think about you. You're overreacting.

It has medicinal values and yet people won't legalize it because people think it's bad and it's good press value. A professor told us that when he teaches medical classes, he tells the students the best thing to do when a patient has a head injury sever enough that causes him to blackout is to smoke marijuana heavily for two weeks.

Beware of the cats.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikuja View Post
Yeah, cuz there's no such thing as a productive, responsible stoner, is there? Oh what a small world-view you have.
I have yet to see one.

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Rican Roll Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see one.
I like how we've all made the assumption that a pot user is automatically a pot head/stoner.

Nice.

Your life is yours alone, rise up and live it.

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican Roll View Post
I like how we've all made the assumption that a pot user is automatically a pot head/stoner.
I get what your saying, but for everyone I have seen it is true.

(#27 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see one.
You do realize that it's a stereotype and you're most likely biased.

Beware of the cats.

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Dasha Offline
Dude......woah.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Dasha

Re: Completely against it - February 26th 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I have yet to see one.
Actually I know quite a few productive people who use weed. And I don't doubt you do as well. There are not the physical signs of stealing, failing at school/work, and losing interest in things(sports and hobbies and such) with every person whom smokes it, and if I may go as far to say as weed does not cause that behavior in a person anymore than particular video game might. I actually used to know a kid who would steal from people to pay for the new video games coming out that he "needed" to play.

"For is it not death nor dying that I fear. But lack of life and purpose."
-----------
Love what is mortal; hold it against your bones knowing your own life depends on it; and, when the time comes to let it go, let it go.
-Mary Oliver
  Send a message via AIM to Dasha Send a message via Yahoo to Dasha Send a message via Skype™ to Dasha 
  (#29 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
I guarantee you you've passed by thousands of stoners who are smart, have great jobs and happy lives. Just because you haven't seen one doesn't mean in any way that people neglect themselves and lives. That's ridiculous. You haven't heard of any historical figures who smoke or have smoked and are successful? What about Obama? He used cocaine and smoked weed in the past and he's the president. Michael Phelps is one of the best athletes in the world and he occasionally indulges in weed. Einstein, Aldous Huxley, Timothy Leary, Lewis Caroll. You're making weed out to be something that its totally not. Not everyone becomes a loser from smoking and it's really ignorant of you to classify people like that when I highly doubt you've met the billions of weed tokers out there.

I just turned 20 years old, support myself, pay my bills and go to class and get straight As. I smoke 3-4 times a week. Am I lazy and neglectful? No.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I agree with you.

Even though you're right, it is their choice, it still affects other people (the experiences you mentioned prove that).

Don't drink caffeine. Don't eat too much food. Don't exercise (it raises your heart rate.) It's bad for you.

Beware of the cats.

(#31 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see one.
Most of the people who are stoners and lead normal, productive lives are the ones that you would probably never guess about. I doubt people go around bragging about their usage, so you really don't know who is smoking and who isn't.

Matter of fact, I've smoked before myself. If you didn't know that, you'd probably never guess. Would you have assumed that I had smoked pot before? I doubt it (I don't care if you do) but if you would have never guessed that then it proves my point.

--A

(#32 (permalink)) Old
AK7 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see one.
I work a full-time white-collar job and do freelancing on the side. At a time when my straight-laced, highly-educated parents are half out of work - and on the way to fully so, thanks to the economy - I somehow manage to be productive and effective enough to be in comfortably high demand.

I pay my rent, my taxes are done two months early, I'm saving money for the future like no one's business, and I like to put on an album and toke before bed every night.

And I'm not alone, not by a long shot.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Adean Offline
Almost 4000 posts.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 01:44 AM

Like honestly, everything is bad to a degree. Eating too much is bad for you. Eating too much sugar is bad for you. Caffeine is bad for you. Cigarettes are bad for you. Salt is bad for you.

However, a lot of stuff does have beneficial applications.

Beware of the cats.

(#34 (permalink)) Old
peaceSRC Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 02:53 AM

Just as weed has both beneficial and negative effects.

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Gram Negative Offline
Student
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 04:19 AM

Virgin CEO is for legalizing weed. He can buy your freedom. He is a freaking genius. You honestly think the most intelligent people in the world don't support legalizing weed or don't smoke it themselves? I got friends that were SAT finalists too... well... one drank too much too, lol. Oh man, that kid should be dead but he got a free ride to Washu, thats 45k a year, lol.

Oh and my old hs friend's dad works for AG Edwards and smokes weed. He's a millionaire. My friend's dad is part owner of a carpet store, still smokes. Then you got my friend that is NYU. Another one works for an insurance company and smokes Hash nonstop and he was the top soccer player at the school.

However, I will say that I have stopped smoking weed partially because I realized it makes me more accepting of other people's opinions which makes it harder to force your opinion on other people. I also realized that I can't get laid when I smoke cause it makes me too nice. Basically if I was at war I would not smoke weed cause weed makes people into pacifists. Now alcohol on the other hand... forget your inhibitions with alcohol, lol.

Last edited by Gram Negative; February 27th 2009 at 04:26 AM.
  Send a message via AIM to Gram Negative  
  (#36 (permalink)) Old
eunoia Offline
(n) beautiful thinking
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jes

Re: Completely against it - February 27th 2009, 07:48 AM

I think being completely against anything can be bad--we should keep open minds. :]

Also, people everywhere are smoking weed and will continue to, and you may never know with some of them. Promise.

Someday I will be strong enough to lift not one but both of us.
I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind

Closed Thread