TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post
It's not unfair
It's not discrimination
It's not messed up
It's not stupid
It’s called you follow the rules or you’re out, it’s life. If someone showed up so the office with their face full of holes and green hair asking for a job I wouldn’t give them the job. If someone showed up well dressed in a civil manner I would give them the job easy as that.
She already knew about the dress code of the school so she can’t just come and fight the system. If she feels discriminated she should go to another school. She really thinks she can go through life and get a good job with her nose ring… Not really maybe 7-11 will hire her.
id really like to know why you think if you have facial piercing or hair dyed you wont get a job.... i have worked at a few tractor dealerships as a mechanic and i usually had blue or green streaks in my hair... and i was the one they sent on runs all over to fix stuff so its not like they kept me in the back out of site.... people need to learn tolerance ..

THIS is the new form of RACISM

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 527477 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
id really like to know why you think if you have facial piercing or hair dyed you wont get a job.... i have worked at a few tractor dealerships as a mechanic and i usually had blue or green streaks in my hair... and i was the one they sent on runs all over to fix stuff so its not like they kept me in the back out of site.... people need to learn tolerance ..

THIS is the new form of RACISM
Racism? seriously?
Right out of the dictionary…
Racism- Abusive or aggressive behavior towards members of another race.
Since when are people with piercings considered a race?
This does not change the fact that I would not hire you if you had additional holes in your face, and it does make a difference. I would not want to hire a lawyer to defend me with piercings and green hair I would much better hire a lawyer with normal natural hair color.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#43 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:

Racism? seriously?
This does not change the fact that I would not hire you if you had additional holes in your face, and it does make a difference. I would not want to hire a lawyer to defend me with piercings and green hair I would much better hire a lawyer with normal natural hair color.
i said NEW FORM.. but not really since racism was hatred of other people cause there different...

whatever all i know is if some guy brought a tractor into the shop and made a comment about my earings or my hair he might find his bill is quite large when he comes back

(#44 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
i said NEW FORM.. but not really since racism was hatred of other people cause there different...

whatever all i know is if some guy brought a tractor into the shop and made a comment about my earings or my hair he might find his bill is quite large when he comes back
Crying racism and when someone says something about your looks to want revenge… And that is why people take their car to you see the bill and will go to another HONEST mechanic...

(#45 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Crying racism and when someone says something about your looks to want revenge… And that is why people take their car to you see the bill and will go to another HONEST mechanic...
it is a form of racism in my eyes whats the difference between not hiring a black person and someone with tats,piercings,dyed hair ?
there isnt any except one you aprove of and one you dont..

if they want a honest mechanic then they should know better to comment on there mechanics looks cause its like getting pulled over by a cop and telling him hes a ugly sob and then being suprised when you get fined :P

(#46 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
it is a form of racism in my eyes whats the difference between not hiring a black person and someone with tats,piercings,dyed hair ?
there isnt any except one you aprove of and one you dont..

if they want a honest mechanic then they should know better to comment on there mechanics looks cause its like getting pulled over by a cop and telling him hes a ugly sob and then being suprised when you get fined :P
I don't care if you are black, white, indian, mexican, or anything inbetween but if you have piercings on your face I won't hire you. You want to work for my company you have to come clean and cut everyday to work it's the policy we have here. You want to show up with piercings your fired. And don't worry I won't go to you if I see you with blue and are piercings to fix my car I prefer to go to the actual place where I bought the car.

(#47 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 09:06 AM

Quote:

I don't care if you are black, white, indian, mexican, or anything inbetween but if you have piercings on your face I won't hire you. You want to work for my company you have to come clean and cut everyday to work it's the policy we have here. You want to show up with piercings your fired. And don't worry I won't go to you if I see you with blue and are piercings to fix my car I prefer to go to the actual place where I bought the car.
lol whatever i can see that your just another self rightous broad who thinks anyone who is an indiviudal is stupid... btw i said i HAD blue and green streaks i have since let them fade out but im contempting pink next

i wouldnt work on your car if you brought it to me i have a strict policy on the type of people ill work on there stuff for...

(#48 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 10:57 AM

the ANTI-troll, you got a job as a MECHANIC. That is an important job but it's hardly one you need to wear a suit or in any way give a professional image. I'd like to see you try and get a job as a receptionist at a law firm, or as a doctor, etc etc with green hair.

This is not racism. This is life. If you want to dye your hair all the colours of the rainbow and wear a morph suit every day that's your business, but you have to acknowledge and accept the image that puts across to other people and potential affects of that.

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.

(#49 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 12:12 PM

I think the thing to remember here is that people with dyed and piercings CHOOSE to do that. Someone can't choose to be black...so I don't really see how it's anything like racism.

(#50 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
lol whatever i can see that your just another self rightous broad who thinks anyone who is an indiviudal is stupid... btw i said i HAD blue and green streaks i have since let them fade out but im contempting pink next

i wouldnt work on your car if you brought it to me i have a strict policy on the type of people ill work on there stuff for...
I can see you're just a mechanic who charges clients depending on what they think of him. Don't worry if I ever went to a mechanic and saw he had blue and pinkhair I wouldn't trust him with my car anyways I have a very strict policy on people I pick to work with my car.
Like Rachel said why getting a job at a law firm with blue hair see how that goes. lol.

(#51 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
It's not unfair
It's not discrimination
It's not messed up
It's not stupid
It’s called you follow the rules or you’re out, it’s life. If someone showed up so the office with their face full of holes and green hair asking for a job I wouldn’t give them the job. If someone showed up well dressed in a civil manner I would give them the job easy as that.
She already knew about the dress code of the school so she can’t just come and fight the system. If she feels discriminated she should go to another school. She really thinks she can go through life and get a good job with her nose ring… Not really maybe 7-11 will hire her.
I agree with this completely.

Quote:

This is so NOT a new form of racism. You don't HAVE to have piercings and crazy hair. It's a choice.
If that happened to me, I would sue and then take my business elsewhere.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#52 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I can see you're just a mechanic who charges clients depending on what they think of him. Don't worry if I ever went to a mechanic and saw he had blue and pinkhair I wouldn't trust him with my car anyways I have a very strict policy on people I pick to work with my car.
Like Rachel said why getting a job at a law firm with blue hair see how that goes. lol.
i have one question what made you ever think id want to bea lawyer i hate the stuck up pricks they ...

but whatever i wont be posting anymore in this thread im glad to know the generation after and before me are both discriminating morons...

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; November 25th 2010 at 07:14 PM.

(#53 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
i have one question what made you ever think id want to bea lawyer i hate the stuck up pricks they ...

but whatever i wont be posting anymore in this thread im glad to know the generation after and before me are both discriminating morons...
Well than I guess you'll never get a decent job, but oh well to each to its own
It's nice that you think the generation after and before you are "morons" but I'm glad to know that your generation is turning into people that try to make up things in order to avoid the rules. That will get you sooo far in life..

(#54 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Well than I guess you'll never get a decent job, but oh well to each to its own
It's nice that you think the generation after and before you are "morons" but I'm glad to know that your generation is turning into people that try to make up things in order to avoid the rules. That will get you sooo far in life..
decent job ? i made 24 bucks a hour till i got injured... thats not counting work i did on the side... granted my job wasnt grand but it did pay well though since i am certified to work on numerous types of farm equipment and have went to school for it..
though i guess i didnt get to sit on my ass all day and type... i gues that would be nice to some people but not to me i enjoy physical labor.. its gonna be funny in 10 yrs when theres so many lawyers,doctors,secretarys, that they cant find jobs but there isnt enough people in physicall labor jobs...

im not making things up im sure if you asked a 100 random people ages 15-25 if they thought not hiring people cause of earings,tats,dyed hair was discrimination the majority would say yes...

(#55 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
decent job ? i made 24 bucks a hour till i got injured... thats not counting work i did on the side... granted my job wasnt grand but it did pay well though since i am certified to work on numerous types of farm equipment and have went to school for it..
though i guess i didnt get to sit on my ass all day and type... i gues that would be nice to some people but not to me i enjoy physical labor.. its gonna be funny in 10 yrs when theres so many lawyers,doctors,secretarys, that they cant find jobs but there isnt enough people in physicall labor jobs...

im not making things up im sure if you asked a 100 random people ages 15-25 if they thought not hiring people cause of earings,tats,dyed hair was discrimination the majority would say yes...
I thought you weren't going to post here anymore...
Well anyways I'm very curious to see where you get your statistics when you say in 10 years there will be too many lawyers and doctors, the same logic and be used against you. It's going to funny in 10 years when there are too many mechanics and they can't find jobs and there won't be enough doctors to treat all the injured mechanics.
I'm not making up when I say if you ask 100 random people ages 15-25 if they thought not hiring people with piercings was discrimination the majority would say no.

(#56 (permalink)) Old
mommy to be <3
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 09:11 PM

I wish that piercings and unnatural hair colours were accepted in society because many people with these characteristics are still good, respectable, intelligent individuals. However, I understand that there is still a negative connotation associated with these people, and if a school wants to prepare its student for the workforce by enforcing societal rules, I understand completely.

Quote:

I just thought I'd point out that you aren't helping your case by name calling.

From your head down to your toes,
You're not much, goodness knows.
But you're so precious to me,
Sweet as can be,
Baby of mine.

(#57 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 25th 2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:

I thought you weren't going to post here anymore...
Well anyways I'm very curious to see where you get your statistics when you say in 10 years there will be too many lawyers and doctors, the same logic and be used against you. It's going to funny in 10 years when there are too many mechanics and they can't find jobs and there won't be enough doctors to treat all the injured mechanics.
I'm not making up when I say if you ask 100 random people ages 15-25 if they thought not hiring people with piercings was discrimination the majority would say no.
i wasnt till you insinuated my profession wasnt a decent job when i make more then double then people who work at mcdonalds...

removed......

this is going way offtopic you dont want to hire people who are different fine but just remember with that thinking maybe one day someone wont a hire a doctor cause of that and he might have been the one to discover the cure for cancer... just cause we choose to be different does not mean we are stupid,lazy,worthless,dangerous or have a bad attitude... just means we want to be different and not look like everyone else

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; November 25th 2010 at 09:46 PM.

(#58 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 26th 2010, 08:49 AM

Quote:

Racism? seriously?
Okay, I agree with you on the piercing's thing, but not the hair, in regards to the story I posted. They suspended two girls for being blonde, now that is Racism against those of Northern European ancestry.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#59 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 26th 2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Okay, I agree with you on the piercing's thing, but not the hair, in regards to the story I posted. They suspended two girls for being blonde, now that is Racism against those of Northern European ancestry.
They were banned for having bleached hair, not blonde hair. It's completely different.

(#60 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 26th 2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Sorry but depending on where you work, depends on dress code. I can see that being a mechanic it is a bit more lax, but if your a member of an organisation, ie banker or an accountant, its not seen as appropriate.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#61 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 26th 2010, 06:36 PM

I feel the need to repeat myself here...

They are not discriminating against this girl. Schools and places of employment have the right to tell you what you can and cannot wear. If you go to a certain school, you as a student represent your school. If that school finds unnatural hair color, tattoos and piercings inappropriate then they do not want people who have them representing their particular school. If you choose to dye your hair, have tattoos and peircings then great! But you chose that lifestyle and will need to make the extra effort to find a school/workplace that is accepting of that. Is Victoria Secret discriminating when they don't hire an overweight woman to be in their fashion show?

On top of that, her church does not follow a RELIGION. It is a church of body modification. It DOES NOT go against her religious beliefs.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#62 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 28th 2010, 05:55 PM

Quote:
It's not unfair
It's not discrimination
It's not messed up
It's not stupid
I agree. When I went to Catholic school, we couldn't have any piercings except for earrings, we could not wear hats or bandannas, and we could not dye our hair. Now, none of these rules ever bothered me as I don't dye my hair, I don't wear head coverings, and I don't even have earrings, let alone any other piercings. And personally, I find extravagantly dyed hair and excessive piercings on a person to be distasteful. Remember, you're representing your school 24/7. I can't say I'd want a bunch of people dressed like that to represent me either.

Dyeing your hair or getting a piercing is not always bad. My friend has a small nose stud (much like the one in the picture on the article). It's very discrete and it looks quite elegant. But when people come in with rings hanging off their lips and eyebrows... that perturbs me.

However, if schools made exceptions to these rules, that would be unfair and the kids would riot. They can't simply say, "Ohh, Mary can wear her piercing because it's discrete, but John can't wear his." It's all or nothing most of the time.

It's the dress code of the school. She agreed to follow it when she enrolled. What if someone came into school wearing a revealing outfit? Is it discrimination to ask her to change? It's how she chooses to express herself, right? No, it would not be discrimination, as it's not appropriate for the school setting. There's a time and place for everything; she can wear her piercing outside of school.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#63 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Suspending Students For Piercing /Hair Color - November 29th 2010, 03:25 AM

I'm just gonna go against the grain here and say what I feel.
There's the whole 'life is life, rules are rules' argument. And it's perfectly valid, and makes a lot of sense. Follow the rules or you're out.

But really, (and I think a lot of people here on TH will be able to identify with this sentiment) everyone has trouble following the rules sometimes. And rules can be anything--whether it be socials norms and expectations or the school dress code. Rebelliousness is a part of adolescence, and for most people the need to 'push the envelope', as it were, dissapates over time. But some people feel that they don't belong. And truth is, maybe they don't. Doesn't make you a bad person. This girl, who decided that she wanted to wear a nose ring despite what the dress code at her school dictates, was nothing more than a harmless rebel. Maybe she just wanted to stand out. Myself, I have a lot of trouble following the rules at the best of times because I don't agree with them. Of course, she could have always switched schools, but it seems like a lot of hassle to me to switch schools just so you can adorn yourself in a different way.
'Conform or leave.' That kind of thing makes me want to puke.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread