TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

child safety getting out of hand ? - November 24th 2010, 11:50 PM

today i had my first experiance with a car equiped with rear door locks that make it impossibal for a kid to open them from the inside.... really ? its fricken frusterating cause you have to have someone open it from the outside...

maybe im old school but i dont remember riding around in my parents car as a child and think about opening the door... in my eyes it seems more of a "safety" hazard in some cases when you need to get out of a car immediatlly like you car dying on railroad tracks, in a flip over, or incase of an accident,...

please someone tell me there not going overboard with all these safety features i can understand car seats and stuff but wth?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 12:25 AM

My mom had those on her car when I was little. You can disable them though.

Some little kids will get curious and try to open the car door. I see nothing wrong with this method of safety. If it only saves one kids life, than it is worth it.

If your car dies on the railroad tracks, you should have plenty of time to get out. If a train is coming that close to you, why were you on the railroad tracks in that situation in the first place. You could have waited for the train to pass. You should not open the car door when you car is rolling or you are about to be in an accident.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Tess* Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tess

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 12:32 AM

Sure you never thought of opening the door when you were little, most of us haven't, but some kids are really difficult.
They want to figure out how to unlock the door, and when the parents say no, they want to do it even more.
I don't think it's too much at all. If there was an emergency so serious that they had to get out of the car immediately, it wouldn't take long to get to the front and step/jump around the front seats.

How's your life? It's been a while
God, it's good to see you smile
<3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 12:32 AM

I was in the car when a child opened the door once, so I don't mind them. I'm surprised it's taken you so long to come across them, I figured they were pretty common. Kids just get curious and touch things around them because they can, so it's better being safe than sorry.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
My mom had those on her car when I was little. You can disable them though.

Some little kids will get curious and try to open the car door. I see nothing wrong with this method of safety. If it only saves one kids life, than it is worth it.

If your car dies on the railroad tracks, you should have plenty of time to get out. If a train is coming that close to you, why were you on the railroad tracks in that situation in the first place. You could have waited for the train to pass. You should not open the car door when you car is rolling or you are about to be in an accident.
really i have seen the rail road cross bars not to go till right before the train crosses by roll over i meant after the fact.... when your on your top and likelly injured. again after an accident (not talking during).. i seen flames sprout up after some accidents and you only have a small amount time to get out before it spread to the interior

i swear there making all these features so for some parents bad parenting with all these safety features i knew as a kid if i opened the door when we arent at home or where we were going i was gonna have a sore butt.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
I was in the car when a child opened the door once, so I don't mind them. I'm surprised it's taken you so long to come across them, I figured they were pretty common. Kids just get curious and touch things around them because they can, so it's better being safe than sorry.
naa i dont like new cars everything i have ever drived has been early 60's-80's i dont like all the safety features and other bs...

so when i closed the door in my brotherinlaws car and couldnt get out i thought i was gonna have to smash the window to climb out before he told me he had to let me out.... my ego took a huge hit i felt like a child with him letting me out :P

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
really i have seen the rail road cross bars not to go till right before the train crosses by roll over i meant after the fact....
You really relay on the cross bars to go through a rail road? You have to look both ways to see if the train is coming, or you can hear the train coming. I wouldn't trust those sticks to tell me if I can go by.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by México View Post

You really relay on the cross bars to go through a rail road? You have to look both ways to see if the train is coming, or you can hear the train coming. I wouldn't trust those sticks to tell me if I can go by.
nope i dont but some people do

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
really i have seen the rail road cross bars not to go till right before the train crosses by roll over i meant after the fact.... when your on your top and likelly injured. again after an accident (not talking during).. i seen flames sprout up after some accidents and you only have a small amount time to get out before it spread to the interior

i swear there making all these features so for some parents bad parenting with all these safety features i knew as a kid if i opened the door when we arent at home or where we were going i was gonna have a sore butt.
You can't EVER rely on cross bars to know whether or not you can go. You are supposed to look both ways before you cross the railroad tracks. You can also hear an approaching train. If you see and/or hear an approaching train, then stop.

I really don't think that those doors would stop someone from being able to get out in some way during a wreck like that. The child could simply hop to the front seat or the parents could pull the child out.

They make those safety features to keep people safe.
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post

You can't EVER rely on cross bars to know whether or not you can go. You are supposed to look both ways before you cross the railroad tracks. You can also hear an approaching train. If you see and/or hear an approaching train, then stop.

I really don't think that those doors would stop someone from being able to get out in some way during a wreck like that. The child could simply hop to the front seat or the parents could pull the child out.

They make those safety features to keep people safe.
I agree, plus I'm sure you are big enough to kick the window or as you said before smash it to get out in an emergency. I always make sure to have the safety lock turned on and put the window locks when my little cousins come in my car I prefer to be safe than sorry. Kids are curious by nature and I don’t want to risk the safety of my cousins because of something that could have been avoided.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 02:30 AM

What?? Keeping children safe is a bad thing?

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider*man(girl) View Post
What?? Keeping children safe is a bad thing?
where did i say that i said all the safety features are getting riduculus...

besides kids that are small enough to not know what will happen if they open the door should be in a child seat right ?

i just think its riduculus first airbags that will break your nose or seriously bruise you. side airbags that can break ribs,locks that stop you from opening doors from the inside..and with all this technology there making it so no one without a college diploma cant work on them :P

i think there going overboard i survived 2 accidents as a kid and only safety feature was a seatbelt... i also rode a bike without a helmet, and safety gear and a skate board,rollerblades, and even a dirtbike and gocart, 3wheeler im still alive...

Last edited by The ANTI-Troll; November 25th 2010 at 03:35 AM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 03:27 AM

Obviously they're supposed to, but alot of people don't even put kids in carseats or in seatbelts.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 03:27 AM

Okay I really think you guys are missing the point of this thread, so I'll toss in child safety features that are ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of those helmets you can buy for your kids when they are learning how to walk? There are also knee pads so they don't get rug burn. At some point you just have to let your kid get scrapes and bruises. Pain is an important teacher.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Has anyone else heard of those helmets you can buy for your kids when they are learning how to walk?
Ok. That's ridiculous.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Re: child safety getting out of hand ? - November 25th 2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
i just think its riduculus first airbags that will break your nose or seriously bruise you. side airbags that can break ribs,locks that stop you from opening doors from the inside..and with all this technology there making it so no one without a college diploma cant work on them :P

i just think there going overboard i survived 2 accidents as a kid and only safety feature was a seatbelt... i also rode a bike without a helmet, and safety gear and a skate board,rollerblades, and even a dirtbike and gocart, 3wheeler im still alive...
Airbags save lives. I would rather have a broken nose and some bruises than serious complications.

That is wonderful that you survived, but not everyone would be that lucky. When I had my bike crash when I was little, it was very good that I was wearing my helmet or else I would have been severely injured.
Closed Thread