TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 05:57 PM

For those of you who drive, how do you feel about having to share the road with bicyclists?

Here, riding your bike on the sidewalk is strongly discouraged. I live in a hilly area with tight winding roads where we are encouraged to share the road with our bicyclists. I often find people trying to swerve around them, barely avoiding oncoming traffic. I find bicyclists riding down unsafe roads where they are hard to see and likely to cause accidents. I also find them very often on roads exceeding 45 mph. To be honest I find it hazardous and a bit irritating. At the same time I feel the pain of the bicyclists who aren't given too many options themselves. Just wanted others opinions.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 06:00 PM

I do not drive, however, the biggest problem I have with bikes on the road is that they can be so slow and it is just so annoying when you need to be somewhere and get behind a bike.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 06:12 PM

There is a windy road near my house and it does get really annoying when I'm driving around the corner and all of the sudden I see someone on a bike. Groups of bikers are even worse. I find it ridiculous that they have to ride on that road. The road is dangerous enough with just cars on it, not to mention bikers or runners.

There are PLENTY of actual bike trails in my town and there is a trail around my neighborhood that people are allowed to bike on.

In conclusion, I think that for the safety of the bikers and drivers/passengers, the bikers should stay on trails like they are supposed to.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 06:56 PM

cyclists and potholes are my two biggest annoyances when driving. mainly the cyclists who ride at night, with no lights, wearing black, no helmet, swerving lanes and stopping right in front of you at traffic lights. get out of the waaaaay.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 07:26 PM

I don't drive. But I don't see how it's safe to both be driving in the road.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Anduriel Offline
srsly, wtf.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 09:31 PM

People riding bicycles don't make me nearly as angry as people riding motorcycles. They're always speeding and weaving in and out of lanes.
  Send a message via AIM to Anduriel Send a message via MSN to Anduriel Send a message via Skype™ to Anduriel 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 09:47 PM

I cycle on the road because then you aren't stuck behind a load of slow-moving year sevens, but I stick closely to the pavement. I admit I do swerve about a little, but I find it quite a difficult bike ride getting to school and back. Cycling on trails isn't something I personally enjoy as they are so often off road.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 11:02 PM

It would be ideal to have bike lanes. We have... One in my city. Yes, only on one road in the entire city. In the Netherlands they have bike lanes everywhere and that would be great. We have very few places here for bikes(including bike trails) so you pretty much have to ride in traffic lanes(unless you want to get a ticket for riding on the sidewalk). As a driver, I do find it frustrating to get stuck behind a bike but that is the city's poor planning's fault, not the cyclist's. I sometimes ride my horse on the road in places and people get mad at me although we are legally allowed to be there. I wouldn't have to do that if you didn't throw glass bottles and other shit in the ditch, idiots!

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 26th 2010, 11:14 PM

I can drive and I am absolutely terrified of hitting cyclists.

Where I live there is a canal path that cyclists often take into town, and if I cycled I would feel much safer using this than the road. A lot of cyclists don't look where they're going when they're on the road, and even if they do there is the risk of a driver doing something stupid and causing an accident. I'm all for cycling, it's great for the environment and all that, but cyclists on the road really worry me.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduriel View Post
People riding bicycles don't make me nearly as angry as people riding motorcycles. They're always speeding and weaving in and out of lanes.
They don't do this at all where I live. My husband and I took a trip to LA a few months ago and couldn't believe it when we saw how common it was for motorcyclists to do this...

EDIT: Just wanted to elaborate... traffic would be stopped (on the highway) and a motorcyclist would speed past you swerving in between cars to get through a traffic jam. Is that what you meant?

Last edited by Jocelyn.; November 27th 2010 at 02:37 AM.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 02:06 AM

People driving cars on the road really bothers me. They're dangerous and take up so much space; not to mention that some drivers seem to not pay any attention to cyclists at all. I really think they should stick to highways or find other ways of getting around.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xujhan View Post
People driving cars on the road really bothers me. They're dangerous and take up so much space; not to mention that some drivers seem to not pay any attention to cyclists at all. I really think they should stick to highways or find other ways of getting around.
not everywhere can be reached quickly by major highways.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
So you don't think it poses any danger when a bicyclist is doing 15 mph on a 45 mph road? Would you say the same if a car were going this speed on the same road?

I'm not complaining about them necessarily, just think it would be a lot safer if they had, say, their own lanes since they don't really have to follow the same rules of the road as cars.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 02:32 AM

Quote:
You do realize that roads were built for cars right? And in my neighborhood, narrow skinny roads are the ONLY way out of my neighborhood.
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 05:10 AM

I actually wish we had more side walks in my city. My hometown as a total of about seven or eight crosswalks and sidewalks. The city I stay in, near campus, has some sidewalks, but if you walk for about a mile, they go away and you have to walk in the road. I'm not found of autos anyway, as many will swerve toward the sidewalks, or drive through the crosswalks when we have right away. Walking on sidewalks is dangerous here, as is riding a bike. So, I'm all for sharing the road.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 05:45 AM

Here, you aren't allowed to ride your bike on the pavement. Also, at night if they aren't using lights they are breaking the law, so I can't really use that as an argument..as anyone breaking the law is irritating.
One thing that does bug me is if they dont ride one behind the other, the other day actually there were a group of 3 bikers but riding beside each other and it was very hard to overtake.
On the main roads, we have bike lanes so they are no bother whatsoever, but on the non-main roads like in the suburbs etc, there are no bike lanes. I think as drivers we need to be going a decent speed so as to be able to stop, if something ran into the road or if a biker appeared. Inexperienced children dont use the main roads, and yes they swerve a bit but it doesn't affect me to just slow down to give her room.

So nope, I have no problem sharing the road with cyclists!

(#17 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 07:32 AM

i always hate getting stuck behind cyclist on the roads but then again thats also why my truck has a loud exhaust on it. i slam the gas and pass them one guy nearly crapped his pants and went in the ditch when he heard the roar . they should have there own side roads or something so they dont hang up traffic..

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Bean Offline
*goes poof*
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 08:10 AM

I both drive and cycle on a regular basis.

As a motorist, I have no problem with sharing the road with cyclists. Most cyclists are doing what they can to make themselves safe. Most cyclists do pull over to the side of the road where it is safe to let cars past.

As a cyclist, it seems that most motorists pay no attention to cyclists. It gets pretty bloody scary on the roads sometimes. I do understand that I'm slow and annoying, but I get out the way when it is safe to do so.

If there were more cycle lanes around my city, I would definitely use them, however, most of the time there is no choice but to use the road. It's illegal to cycle on the pavement here, and the bike lanes are few and far between. When you're lucky enough to be able to use them on your cycles, they only happen to be where it's easy enough to be safe and cycle to the side of the road anyway, and as soon as it gets complicated, they vanish from underneath you, so you're suddenly thrown into a dangerous intersection, with confused and impatient motorists paying little attention to you.

It seems that most people get annoyed when they are stuck behind slow cyclists. Really though, most cyclists do pull over and cycle to the side of the road when it's safe. When they don't, it's because they'd probably have to swerve in and out of parked cars or stuff like that, and it would end up being more dangerous. Are people really that impatient that they get so wound up about having to wait a few minutes for a safe opportunity to pass?

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
~ Harlan Ellison

(#19 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 12:54 PM

Just in case anyone didn't catch on, my first post was twisting the "anti-cycling" arguments around to show that they could be used against cars as well. Reductio ad absurdum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love dogs
not everywhere can be reached quickly by major highways.
And not everywhere can be reached by bike trails: that's my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverHis View Post
So you don't think it poses any danger when a bicyclist is doing 15 mph on a 45 mph road? Would you say the same if a car were going this speed on the same road?

I'm not complaining about them necessarily, just think it would be a lot safer if they had, say, their own lanes since they don't really have to follow the same rules of the road as cars.
Of course it would be ideal if all roads had bike lanes, but that's not up to the cyclists. They're generally stuck sharing the roads with cars, so drivers and cyclists both have to respect each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries
You do realize that roads were built for cars right? And in my neighborhood, narrow skinny roads are the ONLY way out of my neighborhood.
You do realize that many roads were built for horse and carriage, right? What they're legally allowed to be used for now is what matters, and that includes cyclists. And if you're driving on narrow roads within a suburb, you should be driving slow enough that accidents are easily avoidable anyway.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#20 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 01:52 PM

The city I live in is full of cyclists and there really is not any room for them on the road. There is one part of the city where you have to drive over this bridge to get downtown, and cyclists will go over the bridge too--you literally need to wait for them to get out of the bridge because you'll hit the other car to avoid hitting them. I really think that we need bike lanes--there have been many accidents because of all the bikers wheeling around like they own the road, ahah.

(#21 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
You do realize that many roads were built for horse and carriage, right? What they're legally allowed to be used for now is what matters, and that includes cyclists. And if you're driving on narrow roads within a suburb, you should be driving slow enough that accidents are easily avoidable anyway.
The road near my house was not built for horses and carriages. 10-15 years ago, that area was full of woods and trees, not roads.
They can use it, but it creates dangers for drivers and cyclists. The ones I have seen while driving don't take any mind to cars on the road. They ride right in the lane where the cars are. A number of them don't even ride to the side of the lane.
The speed limit on that road is 35 mph. That is fast enough for an accident to happen.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 03:59 PM

I hate it!
I'm sorry, drivers learn the highway code but cyclists don't. We stop at Red lights and for crossings and more often than not cyclists don't.

I do think they should have to be tested on certain parts of the highway code before being allowed on main roads. Cyclists are allowed in bus lanes here but at the same time, these lanes are only "bus lanes" during rush hour, so it's pointless anyway!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#23 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 05:04 PM

You know, not all cyclist enjoy having to share the road with incosiderate motorists either ¬.¬

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#24 (permalink)) Old
thebigmole Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Taylor

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 05:24 PM

In my neighboorhood it's really annoying to get caught behnd a cyclist. We have one road that has a bike lane but it also has four of what I call "speed valleys" they are speed bumps but instead of being like 2 feet wide it's about 10 feet wide. And it's slanted so that the highest part is in the middle and the part where the bike land is is pretty low. So when driving on them most anyone who wants to protect their car drives on the lower part. But when there's a bike there we have to wait until they've gone over the whole thing before we can go. Also there's the lake. I HATE getting caught behind bicyclist at the lake. First off it's a crappy brick road that I like to get off of ASAP secondly everyone wants to do the same thing so if someone is going slow people tailgate, which makes me nervous. So I get stuck behind some guy on a bike and I've got three cars riding my ass and more cars zooming by in the other direction so I can't get around, makes me very uncomfortable, besides the fact that I'm terrified of hitting the cyclist And really what makes it annoying is that they are allowed to go on the sidewalks here. And also I live in Orlando, downtown Orlando filled with some of the craziest drivers ever and adding cyclist to my list of this to stress about when driving is not fun.

"For Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed." -Caitlin McGrath

"For this thing we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down." -Mary Pickford

"But the music's so happy!" -Little Sally: Urinetown

"If our own policies aren't supporting equality then what are we fighting for?"- Kathy Griffin

(#25 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 05:27 PM

If cyclist rode on the pavement, then they'd just get loads of abuse from pedestrians. I've been given absolutely filthy looks for cycling on the path instead of the road, despite the fact that it is quite a dangerous road to cycle on.

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 06:32 PM

I don't even like sharing the road with other cars let alone with cycilists. But what really bothers me is people that cross the road in the middle of it not at the crossline they just come out of the nowhere and if you hit them it's your fault.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 06:42 PM

It does not seem safe to ride a bike on the road with care.

But Mexico why do you hate sharing the road with other cars?

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post

The road near my house was not built for horses and carriages. 10-15 years ago, that area was full of woods and trees, not roads.
They can use it, but it creates dangers for drivers and cyclists. The ones I have seen while driving don't take any mind to cars on the road. They ride right in the lane where the cars are. A number of them don't even ride to the side of the lane.
The speed limit on that road is 35 mph. That is fast enough for an accident to happen.
I'll bet that road was built for vehicles, right? By law, a bike is a vehicle. Assuming they follow the rules of the road, they have just as much of a right to be there as cars do. Something that's a lot more annoying than cyclists is farm equipment on the road. I've seen a combine going down a freeway at about 30 in a 100 zone blocking both lanes of traffic. That's against the law, but you know, they just had to take their combine on the freeway. WTF. That's someone who deserves people angry at them.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#29 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 07:43 PM

In the six years I've been driving, I've gotta say it's the people driving cars that worry me more than the people riding bikes. Some of the things people do behind the wheel really do beggar belief...

But anyway. I don't have a problem with cyclists per se so long as they stick to the Highway Code like everyone else and make sure they're protected (helmet etc.) and visible (reflectors, lights where appropriate, not wearing black at night etc.). If they wobble across the road as one gentleman did recently then I will get a bit worried as I like my record of not hitting anyone and would like to keep it that way, but otherwise I can live with slowing down and certainly don't begrudge them for it. All it takes is planning ahead and going for the overtake when possible. I would be surprised if I've been delayed more than a minute when driving due to a cyclist being on the road at the same time, and in most cases it's barely 10 seconds.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#30 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
I'll bet that road was built for vehicles, right? By law, a bike is a vehicle. Assuming they follow the rules of the road, they have just as much of a right to be there as cars do. Something that's a lot more annoying than cyclists is farm equipment on the road. I've seen a combine going down a freeway at about 30 in a 100 zone blocking both lanes of traffic. That's against the law, but you know, they just had to take their combine on the freeway. WTF. That's someone who deserves people angry at them.
you do realize those combines are what provide food to be put on your table they have more right then a cyclist to be on the highway and alot of places you cant get to unless you take the highway..

(#31 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Jessica

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 09:10 PM

I have never had a problem with cyclists as long as they offer me the same etiquette in return. I have many more problems with other drivers.

Respect the delicate ecology of your delusions

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmole View Post
First off it's a crappy brick road that I like to get off of ASAP secondly everyone wants to do the same thing so if someone is going slow people tailgate, which makes me nervous. So I get stuck behind some guy on a bike and I've got three cars riding my ass and more cars zooming by in the other direction so I can't get around, makes me very uncomfortable, besides the fact that I'm terrified of hitting the cyclist
This is what sucks about cyclists being encouraged to use the road over sidewalks, for me anyway. There is always oncoming traffic, so its impossible to pass. I've got angry drivers behind me riding my ass because I'm going too slow. Then I've got them passing multiple cars at a time while dodging oncoming traffic. Like others have said, it really is the other drivers that make me nervous and not the bikers themselves I guess. I just wish cities would realize what a hazard it is not to give bikers their own lanes (they have them in some cities in my state, but are quite rare), and for bikers to realize what roads are appropriate for them to use. I know they have the right to use them all, besides highways, but how can you guys feel safe going down a 55 mph road with angry drivers trying to dodge you?

Road rage is an epidemic here and I just wouldn't trust anyone enough to cycle on certain roads.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 11:30 PM

Cyclists do my head in. You have to slow right down, and wait until it's safe to go around them. Which can take ages And even when they have their own dedicated cycling lane, they're all over the road!

Motorcyclists are annoying too. When they UNDERtake you on the motorway. You can't see them at all, if you were to go in the other lane, you'd knock 'em right off their bike! And at 50mph+ it's lethal! Also, they think they own the road and drive through the middle of traffic.

Cyclists and motorcyclists need to follow the highway code just like everyone else!

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Share the Road - November 27th 2010, 11:50 PM

I'm not a fan of cyclists riding on the road. Here, some roads have sidewalks and bicycle paths, both separate from the road. However most roads don't so it gets to be annoying at times. In most other areas, it's a sidewalk at most. There's one road that has a bicycle lane in a really stupid place. There are 3 lanes, 1 lane for right hand turns, 1 for straight and 1 for left or straight. The bicycle lane is between the lane for turning right and for going straight, however, to get into it, the cyclist has to drive in the middle of the street because it begins randomly.

But cyclists aren't too scary on the road for me, they can be annoying but not scary. I find other drivers of cars, motorcycles, trucks and buses to be scary, and possibly annoying. Bicycles are a fraction of this group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post

You do realize that a bicycle is a vehicle, just like a car is, don't you? Roads in general were built for horses and carriages, which are vehicles too. In fact, that is why in places in Canada, it still is law to have horse stocks where people can tie up their horses because horses (with or without) the carriage would be a vehicle.

An accident can happen at 5 mph, it doesn't need to be at 35 mph+.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Gixxers rock Offline
should now be "VFRs rock"
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Share the Road - November 28th 2010, 06:20 AM

Bicycles are slow moving vehicles and are a hazard to other vehicles (namely cars). I am strongly against cyclists on any road where the limit is 50km/h or higher.

I am the Stig's brother in law.

Race me on Gran Turismo 5 Prologue! My nickname is patrakoffman-64

(#36 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Share the Road - November 28th 2010, 06:27 AM

Bikes on the road are so annoying. I mean, they ding your car all up when you hit them and you wouldn't believe how much scrubbing it takes to get rid of the blood

But seriously, I really hate when they ride in the road. It's unsafe for people in cars because they have to find a way around them. And it's unsafe for the bikers because they aren't easy to see and I can't count the number of times I'm had to slam on my brakes because I didn't see one until the last moment.

Luckily here most of them ride on the sidewalks, at least in town. Now if the students would just stick to the sidewalks, one may be able to drive around here.

~Cody

Normal User

(#37 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Share the Road - November 28th 2010, 10:27 AM

In my opinion, it is not so much the fact that bikes are allowed on the road as it is that cyclists do not bother to familiarize themselves with the regulations bicycles are supposed to follow when sharing the road with cars. Yes, we are supposed to share the road. But because cyclists are more vulnerable than someone in a car, they seem to think they can do whatever, pop out of nowhere and switch lanes whenever they want... and still have people in cars stop for them. If they get hit, hey, it's the car's fault because it's bigger and the driver should have been "paying more attention." Like pedestrians that dart out into the middle of the street out of nowhere because the law says they legally have the right of way at all times. You'd think these people never studied this wonderful thing known as velocity. They should know that sometimes a car simply cannot stop that quickly when going so fast.

(#38 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Share the Road - November 29th 2010, 02:50 AM

Quote:
That road was built for vehicles. That doesn't mean that they have to pick THERE to ride. That road is dangerous enough without cyclists on the road. There are PLENTY of other safe places for them to ride.
Farm equipment can get very annoying as well, but it isn't as bad as cyclists in my opinion. The combines have to go somewhere anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW!USaidSomethingSmart! View Post
You do realize that a bicycle is a vehicle, just like a car is, don't you? Roads in general were built for horses and carriages, which are vehicles too. In fact, that is why in places in Canada, it still is law to have horse stocks where people can tie up their horses because horses (with or without) the carriage would be a vehicle.

An accident can happen at 5 mph, it doesn't need to be at 35 mph+.
Yes I do realize that. But, horses and carriages are not driven EVER. (at least in my town.)

Accidents can happen at 5 mph, but the faster the car is going, the worse the accident. Plus if a car hits a biker, the biker will be seriously injured or dead.
  (#39 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Re: Share the Road - November 29th 2010, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ANTI-Troll View Post
you do realize those combines are what provide food to be put on your table they have more right then a cyclist to be on the highway and alot of places you cant get to unless you take the highway..
No, because I know nothing about farming since I live in Saskatchewan. I'll wait while you look up where that is. See, here, we also have a offense called obstructing traffic. A combine does not have the right to be on the freeway in the city. They can certainly get to anywhere they need by not going through the city.

(#40 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Share the Road - November 29th 2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:
No, because I know nothing about farming since I live in Saskatchewan. I'll wait while you look up where that is. See, here, we also have a offense called obstructing traffic. A combine does not have the right to be on the freeway in the city. They can certainly get to anywhere they need by not going through the city.
i actually do know where it is and youd be suprised you dont know if there was heavy construction another path might have been blocked here a combine can legally drive on the roads to get to there fields and its not considered obstructing traffic...

Closed Thread