TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Police Violence toward young teens protesting Uni fees - November 27th 2010, 11:50 PM

Considering how annoyed some of you were about the relatively tiny student riot (in proportion to how many remained peaceful), I'm suprised none of you have brought up the behaviour of the police this week. (EDIT: I've noticed there were two links in the EMA thread, but I think it deserved a thread of its own so its more noticed)

This time, there was another protest against fee increases and the removal of EMA, a protest with more minors, some as young as 13 and even 12! The police used a tactic called kettling (read link one) and video evidence has come out on youtube of the police charging at protestors unannounced on horses (link 2, link two also has other details about the day.) after denying such behaviour.

http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/la...kettle-protest

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/no...ice-under-fire

Ok, the behaviours of the police are no longer that suprising. Police violence is something we've experienced before. I mean police violence isn't on, but its not that rare. What is suprising, and shocking, is that the police are doing this to groups involving large amounts of minors. It's truely a sad state of affairs.

And this particular image isn't involving a minor, but it is a student protestor, getting shot just above the head by a police medic using a toxic fire extinguisher.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/848467-t...y-police-medic

Last edited by Marvin; November 28th 2010 at 12:36 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Police Violence toward young teens protesting Uni fees - November 27th 2010, 11:53 PM

Well sometimes police may feel that they must fight violence with violence; although I must admit that minors are a bit much.

Closed Thread