TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

role models for kids ? - November 28th 2010, 11:58 PM

i noticed a few post in the past and a couple currently about what movie stars,music artist,cheerleaders , shouldnt do cause there setting bad examples for kids...

what i really dont understand is wth does it matter what they do with there life there in movies,singing,dancing,etc cause they enjoy it and there for the money not to teach your kids what being a proper human being is... thats the parents job not theres. i mean i grew up watching chuck norris ,arnold swarzenager, sylvester stallone,jean claud van dam, and im perfectly fine..

some people need to stop setting there kids infront of the tv and expect the teenpop and movies stars to raise there kids. i remember when jamie lynn spears got pregnant my aunt raised a hell storm cause her daugters thought it was so cool for a teenstar to be pregnant and how they wanted there own...

this is just my opinion and i know alot of you might dissagree but really its getting sickening how everyone blames the stars for what they do in there free time

(#2 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 12:24 AM

To be honest, I don't ever remember being influenced in any way by any famous people when I was a kid, so I don't get it either really.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 01:17 AM

I personally was never influenced by those kinds of people, but I know people who have been.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 02:14 AM

I agree. In my opinion, kids should see their parents as the most positive role models in their life right up until they start deciding who they are as people. Then it's the parents' job to steer them in the right direction. TV stars and movie stars should barely factor into that. If kids are taking what these celebrities do to heart, there's something wrong at home.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 02:44 AM

I always wanted to be like my mom/dad when I grew up. I don't really remember wanting to be like anyone in the TV.

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 02:50 AM

I agree with all of you, but for arguments sake it's not realistic. Kids SHOULD look up to their parents as their role models, but alot don't. It's only normal that celebrities will make mistakes, but they need to realize that others are looking up to them (for what ever reason) and act somewhat responsible and mature.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
emma01 Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Emma

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 05:56 AM

I never wanted to be like a celebrity! I often thought "i wish I was as pretty as her" lol but I always looked up to my mum and took after her!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 08:10 AM

I only think that people that are on childrens programs or make music for children should try to set a good example. A lot of younger kids are impressionable. I don't really care about anyone else being a role model though.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Annie

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 07:24 PM

I think James Bond was a great role model even though it is a cross-gender role model. It encouraged me to remain active and to learn about electronics.
  Send a message via AIM to MisplacedDreamer  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisplacedDreamer View Post
I think James Bond was a great role model even though it is a cross-gender role model. It encouraged me to remain active and to learn about electronics.
a good example........ im not against completelly having your kids have a star role model but choose someone who not still in there teens cause we have all done wild things at that age and its wrong to expect teenstars not to do things just cause they might be someones role models...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: role models for kids ? - November 29th 2010, 08:51 PM

I think that the problem is more that celebrities should remember that they are going to be viewed as rolemodels. Over in Asia, there's the 'idol industry' where as part of their contracts, singers and actors have to make sure that they behave as good rolemodels, which I really admire. I personally wouldn't look up to any celebrities that I see on tv as rolemodels, and I wouldn't want my children to either, but I personally really admire the idol Yoshizawa Hitomi, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that; her job is to be a good rolemodel to teenagers such as myself.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#12 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: role models for kids ? - November 30th 2010, 03:08 AM

I agree. I admit to being highly influenced by Avril Lavigne as a child (the "old" Avril Lavigne) and I wanted to wear things like spiked bracelets, baggy jeans, and ties on a regular basis. I never did, though, because my mom sat me down and told me that I did not have to dress that way just because Avril Lavigne did. Looking back, I'm glad she didn't give into such a phase. I'm sure it wouldn't have gone over well in private school. So yes, it is ultimately the responsibility of the parents to raise their children appropriately. Let's face it, some people (including celebrities) are simply not responsible, and some stars do maintain an image of being wild and crazy. Realistically, it's about entertainment and profit (what the people want to see) in most cases, not about being a good role model. If you don't agree with it, don't let your kids watch it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: role models for kids ? - November 30th 2010, 05:19 AM

It's up to the parents to set a good example really, not the actors and such like. I remember watching gymnastics when I was little, and that's who I wanted to be when I grew up, but that just wasn't possible. Otherwise, I wasn't really influenced by the media, granted I mainly, and still do, watched cartoons, but I rather have my children want to be themselves than someone else.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: role models for kids ? - November 30th 2010, 06:41 AM

Other than parents, teachers, family and I suppose friends, the only other group of people who should set a good example for kids are people involved in making child programs. If a celebrity is not in either of those groups, they are not obligated to set a good example for kids as they're leading their own life. The lives of others are not and should not revolve around setting good examples for someone else's kid. If a parent is going to blame a person on TV (other than in a child's program) for setting a bad example, I think the parent is just making an excuse so the blame won't fall on them. If a parent would be so pig-headed so as to blame a person face-to-face whose not a celebrity for influencing their child, I'd say the same thing, the parent is making excuses for why the blame isn't on them.

If I were blamed, I would tell the parent they're not setting a good example either by blaming others to compensate for their short-comings and laziness as a parent, then applaud them when they get angry at that response.

Although parents cannot monitor the child 24/7, they can have a major influence and can do their duties, such as help steer the child away from things deemed harmful.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread