TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Anonymous

Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 12:35 PM

So the latest thing on Facebook is to change your profile picture to a cartoon character to raise awareness of child abuse. There have been plenty of other campigns like this, as well as Facebook "Causes" that you can invite friends to join. What is your opinion on using social media as a forum to jumpstart action?

and if you should hear the cries and calls
through the thinnest of the walls
don't you get yourself so blue
it's just the sound of me getting over you

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 01:25 PM

I think it is a great idea; since there are about the same number of people in the country as there are on FaceBook.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 01:26 PM

I think it's a good way to raise awareness since there'e a lot of people on social networking sites

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 01:54 PM

As far as I can see, the cartoon thing has been going on for weeks and only recently did I see the NSPCC's name attached to it. It looks like, to me anyway, a way of making people change their DP more than anything else, since I don't see how changing your picture is going to change a single thing when it comes to child abuse awareness.

I did like what Facebook achieved in the UK last Christmas when it prevented the winner of the X Factor topping the charts for Christmas number 1. I think that's when I realised just how powerful the internet and social networking sites really can be. It's a good thing, if you agree with what they're doing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Prozac Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
As far as I can see, the cartoon thing has been going on for weeks and only recently did I see the NSPCC's name attached to it. It looks like, to me anyway, a way of making people change their DP more than anything else, since I don't see how changing your picture is going to change a single thing when it comes to child abuse awareness.
I agree. The NSPCC didn't even start this so called 'campaign'. I don't see how this is going to help at all. Seeing a picture of a cartoon isn't going to help anyone. Surveys, an ad campaign asking for donation or help... there's a lot of things people could do that would be a lot more beneficial than changing your picture to Winnie the Pooh. You can't raise awareness to the young children who are being abused and need the help over facebook. If people took the time that they spend jumping on the bandwagon and picking a pretty picture and used it to do something active for the cause, it would be a lot more helpful.

I honestly think that most of these things are just to make people feel better about themselves, as if they're doing something to help a cause, when in fact they're not doing anything beneficial apart from perhaps increasing Disney or Pixar's income.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 02:14 PM

Ohhh yes! Like the time everyone posted vague statuses and breast cancer was eradicated?!

Oh... wait. No, that didn't help and this won't either.

I don't care how many people say ''BUT IT HELPS!''- no, it doesn't. It's a picture of a cartoon. That's it. It will not stop a child from being beaten up. The only people who you're reaching through Facebook are the actual abusers. You think they're going to see the bunch of cartoon pictures and have a change of heart?

Why not post links to where people can donate? Or post signs to look out for in children that are being abused? Why not do something if you apparently care so much?

It's a stupid concept, designed to make people feel good about themselves while sitting on their ass in front of their laptop.

And anyway... show me one person who doesn't know child abuse exists? You can't. We don't need to raise awareness of the fact that it exists- we need to raise awareness of how people can help stop it.

P.S When I say ''you'' in this post, I'm not talking to anyone in particular.

5 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Tara. Offline
You member.
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 06:14 PM

It's a nice idea, but it's not enough.

To you, everything's funny. - -
I'd give all I have, honey. - If you could stay like that.
Stay this little. - - I won't let nobody hurt you.
Just try to never grow up. - - Never grow up.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Name: Chris

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 06:42 PM

This is one of the few things that Facebook actually is useful for. If you want to easily reach a large number of people about your cause or organization, Facebook can be a big help. For just about everything else...virtually useless, imho (but very addicting)

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#9 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 06:56 PM

idk personally I think these things are kind of stupid but I think using facebook for a cause would be an amazing thing. But you need to get the organizations and people who can actually make a difference involved. I think if it was put into action it'd work well btu these seem silly since they don't actually help breast cancer or child abuse. I doubt anyone will do anything because we all change our profile pictures to cartoons.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
taylalatbh. Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Taylala

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 07:01 PM

Changing their profile pictures isn't helping to stop child abuse.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Name: PGP

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'TeppyLala View Post
Ohhh yes! Like the time everyone posted vague statuses and breast cancer was eradicated?!

Oh... wait. No, that didn't help and this won't either.

I don't care how many people say ''BUT IT HELPS!''- no, it doesn't. It's a picture of a cartoon. That's it. It will not stop a child from being beaten up. The only people who you're reaching through Facebook are the actual abusers. You think they're going to see the bunch of cartoon pictures and have a change of heart?

Why not post links to where people can donate? Or post signs to look out for in children that are being abused? Why not do something if you apparently care so much?

It's a stupid concept, designed to make people feel good about themselves while sitting on their ass in front of their laptop.

And anyway... show me one person who doesn't know child abuse exists? You can't. We don't need to raise awareness of the fact that it exists- we need to raise awareness of how people can help stop it.

P.S When I say ''you'' in this post, I'm not talking to anyone in particular.
i agree with everything you just said
so I guess there is no need for me to post anything further.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I may just be counting on the foot-in-the door syndrome here, but I actually did post a few links to where people can donate to organizations that fight against child abuse. No one has bitten yet, but I'm hoping. If nothing else, it got me to donate to the cause. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else had done the same.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 08:49 PM

O.o how does a cartoon character = child abuse? O.o
I think it's a stupid idea, as someone has already said it sounds like they're just trying to get people to change their display pictures.
In my opinion facebook is a crap way to try and get a point across, yes lots of people use it, but how many people who use it actually take it seriously?

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 10:10 PM

NO, and apparently in the news in the UK it has just stated that it has been started by a Paedophile ring, so any of you who has done so, please change your profile picture back.

Younger kids, who aren't meant to be on there, but inevitably do are more likely to accept people with a recognisable picture be it someone they know or something familiar to them, like a cartoon.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurineth View Post
NO, and apparently in the news in the UK it has just stated that it has been started by a Paedophile ring, so any of you who has done so, please change your profile picture back.

Younger kids, who aren't meant to be on there, but inevitably do are more likely to accept people with a recognisable picture be it someone they know or something familiar to them, like a cartoon.
in the event that you're actually not kidding, this is a pretty ludicrous statement. I can neither confirm or deny it, but it just sounds like fake

if you're just pulling one over on us, good on ya mate :P

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 10:31 PM

It's just the next part of the NSPCC fakeness that's been added to the story going round FB. I haven't seen any news reports backing it up.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imapiekindaguy View Post
in the event that you're actually not kidding, this is a pretty ludicrous statement. I can neither confirm or deny it, but it just sounds like fake

if you're just pulling one over on us, good on ya mate :P
I can't find it on the news but 5/6 people have told me, and none of them know each other....

I didn't change my profile picture anyway, can't be doing with the hassle...
  (#18 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:

The irony if that was true...

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#19 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 5th 2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
I can't find it on the news but 5/6 people have told me, and none of them know each other....
Them not knowing each other is beside the point. Now, if hundreds of people were to express the same (or similar) knowledge on a subject, even if they all don't know each other, maybe you can trust them. But 5 or 6 people? Nah. That's ridiculous.

Once again, it's not that I'm saying you're wrong (for all I know, this is 100% true); I'm simply saying don't believe everything you hear.

(#20 (permalink)) Old
Xujhan Offline
Resident Atheist
I can't get enough

Name: Fletcher

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

I agree. The NSPCC didn't even start this so called 'campaign'. I don't see how this is going to help at all. Seeing a picture of a cartoon isn't going to help anyone. Surveys, an ad campaign asking for donation or help... there's a lot of things people could do that would be a lot more beneficial than changing your picture to Winnie the Pooh. You can't raise awareness to the young children who are being abused and need the help over facebook. If people took the time that they spend jumping on the bandwagon and picking a pretty picture and used it to do something active for the cause, it would be a lot more helpful.

I honestly think that most of these things are just to make people feel better about themselves, as if they're doing something to help a cause, when in fact they're not doing anything beneficial apart from perhaps increasing Disney or Pixar's income.
Steph, and similar arguments, more or less have it. It's a wonderful way for people to feel good without having to actually do any work.

The atoms that make up you and me were born in the hearts of suns many times greater than ours, and in time our atoms will once again reside amongst the stars. Life is but an idle dalliance of the cosmos, frail, and soon forgotten. We have been set adrift in an ocean whose tides we are only beginning to comprehend and with that maturity has come the realization that we are, at least for now, alone. In that loneliness, it falls to us to shine as brightly as the stars from which we came.
  Send a message via MSN to Xujhan  
  (#21 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Them not knowing each other is beside the point. Now, if hundreds of people were to express the same (or similar) knowledge on a subject, even if they all don't know each other, maybe you can trust them. But 5 or 6 people? Nah. That's ridiculous.

Once again, it's not that I'm saying you're wrong (for all I know, this is 100% true); I'm simply saying don't believe everything you hear.

Please don't start on me. I'm just stating what I heard. I don't really know if its true or not.

And changing your picture wont help NSPCC or anything anyway! Only donating/volunteering will.
  (#22 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 04:33 PM

Wow, looking on facebook I've seen some people with the paedo bear and Herbert the Pervert as their display pictures, can't help but think they don't understand it

(#23 (permalink)) Old
esfdhtfy Offline
Dream Big
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Joseph S.

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 05:25 PM

I think the idea behind it is a good one. Realistically though, how is changing your Facebook picture going to stop child abuse? Sure it "raises awareness" but how many of those people do you think actually did something else to help prevent it? I changed my profile picture to a cartoon (Arthur) and yet, did nothing else. I'm sure the vast majority of people did what I did. Therefore, how are we really contributing to the issue?

That being said, the power of social networking is incredible. Something can indeed be done using the means of social networking. More needs to be done.

SUP BRO.

(#24 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMustang View Post
I think the idea behind it is a good one. Realistically though, how is changing your Facebook picture going to stop child abuse? Sure it "raises awareness" but how many of those people do you think actually did something else to help prevent it? I changed my profile picture to a cartoon (Arthur) and yet, did nothing else. I'm sure the vast majority of people did what I did. Therefore, how are we really contributing to the issue?
It's not.. it's just promoting awareness for something that people should already be aware of and on the look out for.

One of my friends posted a link on his facebook page to a site that raises money for abused kids by selling awareness products..... much better then posting a cartoon picture.

(p.s. I suffered from child abuse and have not/will not change my picture to a cartoon character as I feel like the whole 'Cartoony' idea is just mocking child abuse. Don't ask me why, it's just how I feel about it.)

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#25 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Please don't start on me. I'm just stating what I heard. I don't really know if its true or not.
O.o I wasn't 'starting' on you, I was simply saying that you were stating something, without backing it up.

On a side note, your original statement does convey the air that you are not only relaying the information, but you also believed it.

On another side note, this is a debate forum. People either agree or disagree with your statement. It's hardly ever a case of "Oh that person said this, so I'm going to rag on them for it."

(#26 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
O.o I wasn't 'starting' on you, I was simply saying that you were stating something, without backing it up.

On a side note, your original statement does convey the air that you are not only relaying the information, but you also believed it.

On another side note, this is a debate forum. People either agree or disagree with your statement. It's hardly ever a case of "Oh that person said this, so I'm going to rag on them for it."
I didnt mean you in particular, it included others who quoted me.

I don't believe it nor do I particularly care and yes I know this is the debate forum, but I don't like any singling out.

Anyway, I don't think anything on facebook has really done anything meaningful, and it probably never will. It's basically a silent protest and probably won't be heard anytime soon.
  (#27 (permalink)) Old
hopefaithlove Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 09:50 PM

There's only so much that awareness can do. People need to really step up to actually help.

I haven't done it.

There is always hope. PM me anytime.
SH Free since 10.20.08

(#28 (permalink)) Old
Double X Offline
bee boop
I've been here a while

Name: Kyle

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 10:04 PM

Was touched and more when I younger. This does nothing whatsoever. If people were willing to join me, hunt down child molesters (not paedophiles) and break their knees and turn them over to the police, that would help.

"We will ask nothing. We will demand nothing. We will take." -- May 1968, French Graffiti

(#29 (permalink)) Old
arepo Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 6th 2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:

That's a load of bullocks.

http://www.facebook.com/nspcc/posts/129409900451942

It was not intended to stop child abuse. It was only meant to raise awareness about it and the website, which it did. The website's fairly helpful too. I'm not saying it's going to affect the people abusing the kids or that the kids are on facebook, because it's not just young children that are abused. Everybody knows that the abuse exists, but not everybody know about the organisation or what to even look for when a child is abused or what they can do if they are the one being abused. Including adults and the teenage facebook population. It was easier to have the profile photos changed and have a status saying it because lets face it, most teenagers are lazy or just don't care, but changing that is easy and could be fun to find pictures of their favourite show. I don't believe it's completely pointless, but sure other things that would be more helpful. Though it's easier to raise awareness with 10000 people than to raise donations with 1000. No, they're not exact numbers. Just a generalisation.

And I'm not saying that post is reliable, but it's just something I could find in a mere 30 seconds.

(#30 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 7th 2010, 06:22 AM

Can it start something? Yes. It can start a discussion on it, but facebook isn't going to solve the world's problems. I was changing mine anyway, but everyone else did it to follow a 'trend'. Sometimes posting things can raise awareness. I have a friend who posts controversal information as her statuses to start discussions, and it works.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#31 (permalink)) Old
Anonymity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 7th 2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMustang View Post
but how many of those people do you think actually did something else to help prevent it?
I really hate this mind set. Just because most people won't do anything doesn't mean no one will. After I posted links to child abuse charities, I got one response out the the thirty or so friends who had changed their profile picture. One person, but he had taken the initiative to get his youth group to volunteer with kids at a local children's home. He said he'd never even knew the place was there until the whole cartoon image thing made him curious about ways he could help. So yeah, we're not going to change the world with Facebook, but it sparked action that's going to make winter a whole lot warmer for those kids. So it doesn't matter how many people do something. One person is all it takes to make a difference.

(#32 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 7th 2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymity View Post
I really hate this mind set. Just because most people won't do anything doesn't mean no one will. After I posted links to child abuse charities, I got one response out the the thirty or so friends who had changed their profile picture. One person, but he had taken the initiative to get his youth group to volunteer with kids at a local children's home. He said he'd never even knew the place was there until the whole cartoon image thing made him curious about ways he could help. So yeah, we're not going to change the world with Facebook, but it sparked action that's going to make winter a whole lot warmer for those kids. So it doesn't matter how many people do something. One person is all it takes to make a difference.
Wait, you're saying it's good because one person, out of 30, liked it? So about about 3% of people according to that, plus it sounds like it's in his job description to do things like that. The majority of people on facebook won't even care about it... There are much better ways to raise awareness, and plenty of better ways to raise money for the charities.

(#33 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 02:43 AM

Quote:

EXACTLY! And with the breast cancer thing too: oh wow, I didn't know that cancer exists! Now cancer is going to run away in fear now that we know it exists! Wait a minute, cancer is still around? But I posted something on Facebook about it! How could it still be here?

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

(#34 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 03:46 AM

I think it is a great idea as lots of people are a part of some sort of social media site, however not too many will actually get really involved in these causes.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#35 (permalink)) Old
Stardaze Offline
Hopeless Love
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 05:50 AM

I think its a good idea honestly. It can't SOLVE the problem, but it can bring awareness.

(#36 (permalink)) Old
Marvin Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Marvin

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 05:57 AM

Before I start, I hope every single one of you complaining about the cartoon thing have done some form of direct action in support of ending child abuse, instead of just wasting time ranting about how it won't help. Because that, I can assure you, won't help either.

I did change my display picture, without donating. I will donate when I see a collection in the street or whatever, but at the same time, I do volunteer time on here, and do cover child abuse in the work I do. I feel volunteering should be deemed on an equal level to money donations. Not to mention I'm in great amounts of debt, money donations are more of an option when I'm not in the red lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
Wait, you're saying it's good because one person, out of 30, liked it? So about about 3% of people according to that, plus it sounds like it's in his job description to do things like that. The majority of people on facebook won't even care about it... There are much better ways to raise awareness, and plenty of better ways to raise money for the charities.
If the cartoon thing spurred him on, when he otherwise wouldn't have thought to get the volunteer work organised (which, for the record, isnt simply liking it), than yeah, that would make it worth it. Think about it, if it were 3% of the people who did it on Facebook, who didnt normally donate time or money, then that's a lot of people. It may not end child abuse, but its not meant to.

On the other hand, it's also sparked action out of others who refuse to change their profile, as it's a) brought it to the forefront of their attention, and b) to show the point that more needs to be done than simply a picture change.

The whole situation has sparked a lot of discussion, both for and and against. And sure, we all know *what* child abuse is, but how often do we talk about these issues or think of the NSPCC? It's like those hard hitting commercials, things that bring attention to a cause are going to remind people of the charity and its importance.

Sure a lot of people were jumping on a bandwagon, but not all were. And it's pretty harmless. Even if it doesn't encourage people to do anything more, it's not exactly going to discourage them. If you don't donate anything usually, well, it's highly unlikely you were going to out of the blue, if I'm honest. If you are the type to give money to fundraisers on the street or wherever, you aren't going to just turn around next time and be like 'Im sorry, I put a cartoon as my FB picture, I dont need to give you any money'. If you usually donate or volunteer often anyway, its not like you are going to stop immediately because you have a cartoon picture.

I think too many people have over reacted in a harsh way about this. And so what if it wasn't started by the NSPCC.... lots campaigns are done by people outside of charities, including fundraising. The NSPCC however, do publically appriciate the FB campaign:

http://www.facebook.com/nspcc#!/nspcc?v=wall

And over the last few days they've reached 100,000 supporters. Sure they should have more, but it seems more than likely there were a disproportional amount of people looking them up and liking them in the last few days. I've also heard donations increased by 120%, but I have no source to back this up.

And it also shows that even if people aren't nessecerily doing anything, they think it's important enough to make a note of. No way was the breast cancer thing, or many of these things, were anywhere near as popular. The fact this went so big, so fast, is quite simply fascinating.

The pedophile thing was reported in the Daily Mail, it may as well have been a comic book. No reliable source has published such news, and the theory behind it is ridiculas. Kids too young to be on facebook arent going to add you because you are a cartoon, they are going to add you as you sent a friend invite. Full stop. Seriously, if they are too young to resist adding a cartoon, they aren't going to filter the rest of their friend requests. Really.

As for the breast cancer thing, the biggest issue was it was sexist and exclusive. Not all women have handbags, and some men do get breast cancer. But raising awareness is important. Yes, we know what breast cancer is, but many many women still don't check frequently or even think about it. Like with testicular cancer, its something we know, but don't think about. Awareness is important for a lot of topics to get you thinking about it. Even though follow up action is often (almost always) required.

3 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#37 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 03:09 PM

It wasn't started by the NSPCC but they were to have said they are in support of it.

I don't disagree with it. It is not going to stop child abuse, I don't know what can or even if anything can stop child abuse. Of course we all know about child abuse its self. But not every one knows about the NSPCC.

I've just read an article and its made me see a different side to this. That this person wasn't actually supporting the whole facebook cartoon display picture to raise awareness of child abuse itself, but to raise awareness for the NSPCC. They said they'd never heard of it and it's made them willing to donate. Which will, hopefully have an input to help child abuse be stopped. Although it will never truly be stopped, its about taking those small steps. That actually, the NSPCC is a UK charity and having it on facebook might help others around the world hear about it which will possibly inspire them to donate.

So many charities or people who support those charities do things just to raise awareness. And although we want things from child abuse, to self harm, and what ever else in this world to stop, it's just not that easy. But there's nothing wrong with making awareness of the issue itself or a charity helping people with the issues/problems.

Either way, whether I support it or not, or if any one else here does or not, it's not doing any harm to any one and nothing bad can come out of it, so i don't see any reason not to go along with it when it could in fact help awareness.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#38 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
Wow, looking on facebook I've seen some people with the paedo bear and Herbert the Pervert as their display pictures, can't help but think they don't understand it
That makes my life. They're doin it wrong.
I noticed that a lot of people around my age are doing it and thinking they're so helpful and innovative and what have you. It's like, no. How on earth is changing your display picture going to stop child abuse? 'But we're raising awareness!' Ugh. No, you're not. Everyone already knows about child abuse. If you really wanted to help, maybe you could put up some flyers, or actually go and volunteer or something. Not...change your display picture. I think we should coin a new term for this kind of thing--we could call it 'armchair volunteering'! It's perfect for everyone who spends entirely too much of their time perfecting their Facebook profiles and needs something to alleviate their guilty conscience. /rant.

(#39 (permalink)) Old
PGP Offline
Nothing
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Come As You Are. View Post
...we could call it 'armchair volunteering'!
Just want to point out, 'armchair volunteering' was already a term used by the Alliance for International Women's Rights. Except, in their capacity, it actually helped people >_>

(#40 (permalink)) Old
Toast Offline
lostinaworldofhate
I've been here a while

Name: Toast

Re: Can Facebook start something? - December 8th 2010, 11:09 PM

Am I the only person that thinks that the point of these aren't to raise awareness? I think that it was just some started by someone who wanted to have a bit of fun and slapped a charity's name on it to get more people to do it.

Heaven is high and earth wide. If you ride three feet higher above the ground than other men, you will know what that means. ~Rudolf C. Binding

Closed Thread