TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Good for you, Mr. Zuckerberg - December 10th 2010, 01:43 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're having a super duper dandy day!!

Click on THIS to read the story.

OR just keep reading!!

----------------------------------

Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg is among 17 US billionaires taking the pledge to donate the majority of their wealth to charity, organizers of the effort said Thursday.

The project launched this year by the two richest Americans, Warren Buffett and Bill Gates, said a total of 57 individuals or families had now signed the "Giving Pledge."

"People wait until late in their career to give back. But why wait when there is so much to be done?" said Mark Zuckerberg, who is chief executive and president of Facebook and has a fortune estimated by Forbes magazine of 6.9 billion dollars.

"With a generation of younger folks who have thrived on the success of their companies, there is a big opportunity for many of us to give back earlier in our lifetime and see the impact of our philanthropic efforts."

Steve Case, founder of the onetime Internet giant AOL, was also among the latest group to join the pledge.

"We share the view that those to whom much is given, much is expected," Case said in a letter with his wife Jean. "We realize we have been given a unique platform and opportunity, and we are committed to doing the best we can with it. We do not believe our assets are 'ours' but rather we try to be the responsible stewards of these resources."

The Giving Pledge is the brainchild of Microsoft mogul Gates and investment guru Buffett who want to convince the richest people in the country to give 50 percent or more of their fortune to charity.

New names in the group include investor Carl Icahn and former junk bond guru Michael Milken.

The initial group included CNN founder Ted Turner, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Oracle co-founder Larry Ellison and Hollywood director George Lucas, as well as Buffett and Gates.

Buffett said they simply started working their way through Fortune magazine's list of 400 US billionaires, who between them have an estimated net worth of 1.2 trillion dollars.

----------------------------

I am proud of ALL of them. No kidding.

But make no mistake. YOU and I are no less obligated to be generous and thoughful and GIVING.

Besides - a 'man' who has $1 and gives you half is far more generous than a 'man' who has $100 and gives you $10.

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Good for you, Mr. Zuckerberg - December 10th 2010, 05:20 PM

That's really great to hear.

Who really needs billions of dollars all to themselves anyway.

I can't really say I donate to a specific cause or anything, but whenever I go through the checkout and they ask if I would like to donate to so-and-so charity I always say yes. I donate a lot to Good Will and the Salvation Army also.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I've been here a while

Name: Scott

Re: Good for you, Mr. Zuckerberg - December 11th 2010, 12:35 AM

This is most likely good for him after his depiction in The Social Network. I didn't really have a problem with it, but some people thought he came out of it looking like an asshole. He's evidently not that bad a guy.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: Good for you, Mr. Zuckerberg - December 11th 2010, 02:34 AM

He actually was giving money before that stupid movie came out. He's not a bad guy, at all. An d it's great to hear that these people are giving back.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Good for you, Mr. Zuckerberg - December 11th 2010, 02:56 AM

This is absolutely wonderful to hear.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.