TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Current Events and Debates For discussions and friendly debates about politics and current events, check out this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 02:14 PM

Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

I have often heard stories of 'Good Samaritans' finding lost money and RETURNING all of it to its owner. And THEN being rewarded with NOTHING. But worse than that - I think - are the stories of being rewarded with NEXT to NOTHING. Case and point. [And this is something that happened recently] A man was carrying $2,700 cash in a bag. He lost it somewhere as he was going to the bank.

IT WAS GONE

A couple of days later a lady finds it. She took the money home - counted it - dreamed a few dreams [Like most of us would no - no doubt] and then [About an hour later - so the story goes] phoned the police.

The 'man' was very impressed with her honestly - and 'EXTREMELY thankful'.

So what did HE do?

Did he GIVE this woman any of that money? NO! SHOULD he have? [And that is one of the questions I'm going to be asking YOU in a second]

What he gave her was two McDonald's BIG MAC gift certificates.

I - for one - think that's awful. In fact - I think that's WORSE than 'nothing'. It's like leaving a 2 cent tip at a restaurant - or giving a homeless man a penny.

I say...... the money was GONE!! Be grateful that you got ANY of it back.

I would have given that woman at LEAST $700 - if not more. Maybe even $1,000. Now some of you might be thinking that's a LOT.

But keep in mind....

THE MONEY WAS GONE - FOREVER. And would STILL be gone forever if SHE [Or some other honest person] didn't find it.

TWO QUESTIONS:

- What would YOU have given that woman - IF ANYTHING - if you were that 'man'?

- IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair? [I suppose I should add a third question..... would YOU return the money?]

GREAT BIG HUG
Craig!!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 02:31 PM

It's kind of hard to say. I definitely wouldn't have given her a couple of Big Mac gift certificates. That is just insulting. Whether I would have given her any of the money and how much though is really hard to gauge.

- IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair? [I suppose I should add a third question..... would YOU return the money?]

Well first of all, I probably wouldn't have returned it. Yeah, I know, that makes me a greedy bastard, but whatever. They should hold onto their money better. Well, either that or I'd say "some of it must have blown away, I only found $600 I would expect no reward if I did give it back, because I'm not sure I'd reward someone myself, though taking me out to a nice dinner or something (McDonalds doesn't count) would be thoughtful.

~Cody

Normal User

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 02:50 PM

- What would YOU have given that woman - IF ANYTHING - if you were that 'man'? Probably, yes. I'd be very very grateful that she returned it. When a lady found my cat when he was missing I give her £30.

- IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair? [I suppose I should add a third question..... would YOU return the money?] I don't think it's "fair" exactly but life isn't fair. I wouldn't really give the money back for any reward, I would give it back because it's the right thing to do.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 03:50 PM

I'm not sure. Definitely not those Big Mac certificates. I guess it would depend on what money I had with me. Since that man was probably putting that £2700 in the bank for a reason since it's not everyday you walk around with a bag of money of that value.

I don't think I'd expect a reward but it'd be nice to get one. Even a thank you is sometimes rewarding. Me and a friend once saw a woman drop £10 on the floor so he picked it up and we went to return it to her, she was walking pretty fast and had almost gone out of the building when we reached her but he returned the money to her and she just gave him a funny look, didn't even say thank you =/
Would I give it back? I don't know. I've picked £20 up off the floor before and kept it. If I found the money in a wallet then I think I'd return it but if it was just cash I'd probably keep it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 04:09 PM

Yes I would, unless the I really needed the money for something like food, an operation, etc.

I would not expect a reward at all.

Yes I would return the money.

Last edited by Kitty.; December 10th 2010 at 04:36 PM.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Megan1 Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 04:19 PM

I guess it would depend on what I was planning on using that money for. If it was for something for myself or something that I really didn't need, I would probably give her at least $500.

But, it is possible that the man needed it for something very important that his family couldn't do without. If that were the case, I would send her a nice card explaining that, and a little gift along with it.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
The ANTI-Troll Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: ..........

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 04:34 PM

What would YOU have given that woman - IF ANYTHING - if you were that 'man'?

probally a hundred or 2 of it..

i wouldnt expect one but i would want one.... i think a percentage of it is fair maybe a gift card or being taken out somewhere nice to eat..... i cant honestly say if i would or not i know id be tempted to keep it .

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 05:30 PM

Why would people carry large amounts of money on them like that? In a BAG of all things

I agree with what others have said though. If I really needed the money for something important, I don't think that I should feel obligated to give a reward. Like someone else said, maybe a nice card thanking her or making her a nice meal or cake? I dunno.

If I was just stupidly walking around with large sums of cash, I'd definitely compensate her for her honesty. Maybe a couple hundred.

If I found that amount of money, yes I'd return it. My conscience would not let me keep it. Plus, I may get a nice reward... or cake!

I would not expect a reward at all though. Maybe they will pay the good deed forward and it will someday come around back to me.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
LimLight Offline
Average Joe

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 07:55 PM

I am a student, if I was carrying that much money around (which I wouldn't) it would likely be going to my tuition. That being said, I couldn't afford to give someone who found this money for me $700. Sure, I would be very, very grateful towards them, but wouldn't financially be able to give them a reward of that value. I actually think it's quite unfortunate that so many people consider that money can be the only 'acceptable' reward. Sure, maybe two Big Mac certificates are not that great, but we don't know that that man's life is like. What if he is poor, and that is most of the money he has? What if he is providing for a family and needs that money to help out his kids? Honestly, if the person I returned the money to was extremely thankful and told me so, that would be enough for me.

No, I would not. I think it's selfish to expect a reward for doing the right thing. (What does that tell you about human nature?) Sure, it would be nice if I could get a bit of extra cash, but I'm not going to become angry because I don't know get more a a genuine thank-you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 10th 2010, 08:42 PM

I would have given her about 400-500 dollars. No good deed should go unrewarded, and I definitely don't think that giving her two big mac gift certificates would be the reward she deserves. 2,000 dollars is a lot of money and I would be surprised if ANYONE decided to turn in that money. I sure as hell wouldn't. 500 dollars isn't a lot of money, but it's plenty to say that "I know you really thought about keeping the money, which I don't blame you, and I know you feel like shit, but here's 500 dollars so you can feel a LITTLE bit better."

- IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair?

I wouldn't turn in the money, but assuming that I did...hell yeah I'd expect a reward. That takes some huge mental balls to do and I wouldn't be doing it to be "nice." Our world is driven by money, and it's not always a nice thing. No, I'd expect a reward of at least 500 dollars. Otherwise, I would have wasted my time for no reason.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Casey. Offline
Dance with me
I can't get enough

Name: Casey

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 11th 2010, 02:40 AM

What would YOU have given that woman - IF ANYTHING - if you were that 'man'? It totally depends, really. If it was my money, I would have gave her something for returning it. But you have to think, it might have been a company's money, which meant that the man could have got in trouble for giving her some, although not as much trouble as losing 2000 usds.

- IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair?
I would have returned it. I found a lot of money once, that someone dropping in the place I used to work. And I didn't want to give it back, because at the time, that was a lot of money to me, but I did. And got nothing for it. I wouldn't expected a reward, not in this day and age. It just doesn't happen.

She whispered to her own reflection "I will be strong."

"I am not what has happened to me.I am what I have chosen to become."- Carl Jung

"If ye harm none, do as ye wish."

Sometimes things just happen.

Smile through the tears.

PM me

Send a message via Yahoo to Casey.  
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Pelios Offline
on Pursuit of Happiness
Outside, huh?

Name: Andrea

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 11th 2010, 03:25 AM

A BIG GREAT HUG for sure and then some money like $500-700.

I would return the money because I believe everything bad you do comes back to get you eventually, plus I was raised to not take things that don’t belong to me. I wouldn’t expect anything why do people think they deserve things for doing something good?

Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: TWO QUESTIONS: Lost - Found - Reward - December 12th 2010, 08:15 AM

If I was that man, instead of giving her some of the money. I would offer to take her and her whole family to a really nice high end dinner. It takes alot for someone to return money they found. I think a dinner would last longer in memory then giving a monetary reward.

IF YOU the one who found the money - and returned it - would YOU expect a REWARD? And if so - what would YOU think was fair? [I suppose I should add a third question..... would YOU return the money?]
Well I did this once before. I found a water proof packet with money in, but I decided to turn in it to the lifeguard. I didn't expect anything in return. My reward was the feeling that I did something good for someone.

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
Closed Thread